Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 20:48:56

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

My Quad found !!! AN Update

Started by rsmith21, Friday,March 04, 2016, 22:08:01

Previous topic - Next topic

rsmith21

Its almost a year since I had a fly away, my Naza lite , I searched the lost area for days with no luck but asked the local game keeper to keep an eye out for it. Today I got a message to say he found it in the area I said, while he was stalking a deer. Lord knows if the electronics or GoPro will be any good after the wet year we have had, the GoPro was not in its case :( it was mounted naked. I collect it on Monday so am quite excited to see if the memory card is any good. I suspect the only recoverable items will be the Carbon Fibre props and the frame. Anyone know if Naza units or Horizon receivers are weather proof.
KK2, NAZA M/V2 ugrade, Spektrum DX 8, Hubsan X4
Immersion 25Mw vtx, GoPro 4, Black Pearl Display
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

nub

wow nice1 ::) wonder what kind of condition it';ll be in, i still have a ZMR250 in a field some where, must be getting close to a year by now.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

DarkButterfly

Depends on how you mounted the naza, if it is under cover its a possibility it might have survived, same with the Rx, but who knows, I certainly wouldn';t trust flying it again.
Why use 4 motors when you can use 6?

YouTube channel
[url="https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386"]https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386[/url]

rsmith21

Quote from: DarkButterfly on Friday,March 04, 2016, 22:13:02
Depends on how you mounted the naza, if it is under cover its a possibility it might have survived, same with the Rx, but who knows, I certainly wouldn';t trust flying it again.

I';ll see if the cases can be opened to check, but I suspect the tracks will be corroded. Pictures will be posted just for interest :)
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

Paulham

Subscribed to this post, Hopefully you can get the video off the card and share it!

Cheredanine

Really curious about what state it is in. Worried what the lipo did! Electronic circuits don';t tend to cope too well with repeated freeze and thaw. But wanna see if you can breath life back in to it :)

Good luck

guest325

Great to hear that you got it back, especially after a year - when my Funcub came back after 8 weeks it was great but a year.......
One of the things to look for is black wire rot, under those conditions I would expect to see some!

Gav

Wow exciting find, look forward to the photos and video if any.  Is it a GoPro Hero, 2 or 3?

rsmith21

It was one of the original GoPro Hero before they started updating them, I am also concerned that the tiny amount of power that would still be in the LiPo would be helping to destroy damp circuit boards. I was on time laps taking still shots of my home town, trying to reproduce an old aerial shot taken in the 40s . I guess it will depend on the attitude it was sitting in the tree letting water in, or hiding the memory slot. Can hardly wait for Monday to find out, still a big loss but its an end to an event that';s still a bit raw ,
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

Two-Six

Great!, Glad you found it.  I remember when you lost it.

Where was it?  On the ground, was it in long nettles or brambles or anything?  What was it do you think that stopped you finding it the first time round?

It would be great to get something from your memory card and it would be tragic if turned out that you nearly found and it caught a picture of your foot as you walked past it :-)

Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

BYOD

Quote from: rsmith21 on Friday,March 04, 2016, 22:08:01
Anyone know if Naza units or Horizon receivers are weather proof.

Can';t comment on the RX, however we have had a good number of systems come in with Naza';s that have come down and had a meeting with water, deep and shallow. The only ones that seem to survive, and that give you any confidence to use again are the ones which are removed from water straight away and treated to a bucket of rice and a nice warm spot to rest up for a day or two. I guess your FC has seen rain, frost, condensation and any other conditions on the list of weather we see.

The first check that we do is to look at the pins on the connectors for motors and RX';s, if these show any sign of discoloration / corrosion we recommend that the system should not be trusted, the case / internals are not weather proofed.

The risk of a failed controller in flight is too high to risk to reuse the FC, the cost of the systems landing where it should not is not a risk worth taking.

Regards

Martin
[url="https://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk"]https://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk[/url]

Gav

If your GoPro is toast, I';d be interested in it just for the lcd display.  I snapped mine by accident, on a recent reassembly after replacing both smt switches. Doh!

Regards
Gav

rsmith21

Quote from: Gav on Saturday,March 05, 2016, 22:32:37
If your GoPro is toast, I';d be interested in it just for the lcd display.  I snapped mine by accident, on a recent reassembly after replacing both smt switches. Doh!

Regards
Gav

If I cant resurrect it Gav, it will be yours :)
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

rsmith21

Well I got it back today but there is no Memory card !!!

The GoPro looked a bit corroded inside but I used a toothbrush and come canned air and left it in the sun, charged up the battery and it still works ! after being out in the rain , naked, for a whole year. No wonder their called Hero, sorry Gav no spare parts :). Ill attach a picture from it that I took of the garden.

The NAZA, looks as good as ne inside, even the puck. I stripped them all and used the caned air. the PMU looked a bit corroded but I cut off the heat shrink and used the tooth brush and canned air.

The Horizon receiver had a little corrosion the easily brushed off as did the satellite receiver but the telemetry unit is toast, made magic smoke on power up.

I';ve not looked at the ESC';s yet but all of the motors have corroded bearings but I can replace them and they will be fine.

3 props are ok, one broken, not that I will be using them as I don';t know how much of a knock they got.

Here are some pics of the insides, I cant believe how much still works.
The Naza unit like new

The pins of the Naza in good order

Inside the GPS Puck, like new

Inside the receiver, some work required

More inside the receiver

Corrosion in the GoPro case was limited to the edges , I left the screws so not to cause damage

The Telemetry unit had some major corrosion

My suspicion is that the LEDs fitted drained the LiPo totally flat so avoiding electrolysis degrading the circuit boards .

The receiver works fine and did a bind without any problems, I ran a calibration on the NAZA and the unit responds to all axis , I';m going to flash it to the upgraded software later.

Oh! the pic from the GoPro :) amazingly resilient  little beast.

Walkera 2 axis gimbal

DarkButterfly

Good stuff ~~

Those GoPros are surprisingly tough.

YouTube channel
[url="https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386"]https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386[/url]

Paul01

Cant image how it must feel to get all that back after a year  ~~
TBS Tango 2
FatShark Dominator V3 with RapidFire Module
Armattan Chameleon-BF3.5.7
TBS Source One, KL100 Micro, Mobula7 HD
DJI Mavic Pro
[url="https://www.youtube.com/c/paul01"]https://www.youtube.com/c/paul01[/url]

Gav

NIce one! can you ask the farmer/game keeper to go back and check for the memory card :laugh:?

Powernumpty

With WiFi stuff designed to be used outside they rely on being covered from the rain but open to the elements to avoid condensation through changing climate, this lack of corrosion is surprising but must work on the same principle.
An unintended but fascinating test.
Glad you got it back.

rsmith21

The LiPo of course is totally flat, I';ll cut the cables for spares and take it to the recycle site.

I';ve just updated the Naza to Naza-M V2 and tested it all stuck to a board, completed the advanced calibration and locked on GPS, no red flashes, but it took about 5 minutes to get there, has anyone ever changed that little battery in the Puck, does it need changing ?

Thanks for all the interest, I hope you enjoyed the Pics.
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

forest

wow great is mostly working ,
In the hanger: Husban X4, Syma X3, 
DIY wooden H quad 450
Emax night hawk 250 low rider, 4s
Qav 250 4s
Fat bee 180 4s

Powernumpty

Quote from: rsmith21 on Monday,March 07, 2016, 21:23:22

I';ve just updated the Naza to Naza-M V2 and tested it all stuck to a board, completed the advanced calibration and locked on GPS, no red flashes, but it took about 5 minutes to get there, has anyone ever changed that little battery in the Puck, does it need changing ?

The battery is a rechargeable so will need to be powered up for a while to retain the last location. As it will have been flat it will take a long time to get a first fix (it has no idea where it is) but if the battery is working next fix should be short as the GPS has a reference to work from and the calculations are less.
If the battery does need changing it would show up as long fix time after a short period off.
I would be surprised if it needs replacing but leave the GPS powered for a few hours to ensure it is fully charged then leave unpowered for the sort of time you would expect it to reatain location and retest.

That is not from personal knowledge, from web links and other types of GPS.
Search term "BBRAM Naza" throws up some good info.

It needs to be above 1.8V to be affective (I read).

Yellow

Wow that really is amazing, especially actually seeing the insides in such good condition.

Still a good idea to be cautious when using it though, it is almost sounding too good to be true! Fingers crossed though all is well - and youve got a great story to tell about this quad!

rsmith21

Don';t worry it will have a long hard shakedown before doing anything serious. My hopes for the motors were dashed today, have a look at the state of these, all 4 were the same.
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

DarkButterfly

Those motors look a bit cream crackered :laugh:

YouTube channel

rsmith21

That';s just what I thought :) , fit for the bin.
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

Two-Six

Nah! A bit of WD40 and they will be fine! ~~
Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

Paul01

As long as the coating on the windings is alright just clean them up with wd40 like two-six has suggested.
TBS Tango 2
FatShark Dominator V3 with RapidFire Module
Armattan Chameleon-BF3.5.7
TBS Source One, KL100 Micro, Mobula7 HD
DJI Mavic Pro
[url="https://www.youtube.com/c/paul01"]https://www.youtube.com/c/paul01[/url]

Powernumpty

The efficiency of the motors will be affected by the rust shorting the stator laminations, if you were going to try and do something with those motors wet and dry the worst off and try to clean the groves of rust, drag a big strong magnet over the windings to grab ferrous particles then spray some paint on the bare ends, they probably would be OK if not great.
The magnets with all that rust will probably blur the fields so again reduced efficiency, rust killer might give you a bit more life in the long run, certainly reduce the chance of the rust getting worse.

I';d have a go if only for the knowledge gained but others might think it is a waste of effort.

rsmith21

Re the motors, well I suppose I could give them a go, I also have a small ultrasonic cleaning bath for a final spruce up, I could lacquer spray the windings after cleaning too. Might be an interesting project, I think the rust on the magnets would clean off fairly easily after trying on one.
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

rsmith21

I tested them before I started a refurb, they all worked. So I took them all apart and cleaned them up on the lathe and used meths, I replaced 6 bearings as I had spares and they fell, look, and run like new.

I';m so glad I gave it a try, I hate wasting stuff. I need to get new circlips for the ends, anyone know of a supplier of those and the little spacers that are used.

All the best guys.
Walkera 2 axis gimbal