Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 19, 2024, 14:51:49

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 23
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Turnigy Nano Tech Batteries

Started by teslahed, Tuesday,March 12, 2013, 20:23:29

Previous topic - Next topic

teslahed

I';m interested to hear what other people';s experiences of the turnigy nano-tech batteries is like.

I found them to be good at first but after extended use all my nano-techs have puffed up. The most recent one after only 3 months of intermittent use.

I';m currently using some zippy lipos instead which seem to be doing better - but i';ve not had them as long yet.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Jumpy07

I have a few Turnigy Nano';s of various sizes... 

They started off quite good... esp in the cold.... but two of them dont seem to last long these days...     they charge ok...  but drop off fast...    prob around 4 months old.. with about 10 charge / use  cycles

Kinda dissapointed with them.. tbh

BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

Biffa

Flew well in my 450 helicopters but the quad has proved too much and all mine have puffed recently too. I think messing around with 10 inch props has driven up the amp draw and buggered them although changing the props didn';t stress the motors or my ESC';s they all came down just as cool as with the 8 inch ones.

They still hold a good charge though and work well but I would have hoped for a little more durability from them considering all the hype.
Steve

robshaw

If/when your lipos do ';puff up'; does that mean they';re ready for lipo graveyard? One of mine is puffed up and still works fine......
Tunrnigy Talon Tri, TBS Discovery, TBS Discovery PRO, Spnky 250 Mini, EZUHF, EZOSD

Gaza07

When they puff its normally a sign some thing is wrong with them but I have had packs puff and they go back down on their own, you have to be careful with lipo';s anyway but I would advise extra caution if your pack is puffed  ~~
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

firey1

Agree with Gazza
major thing to watch is when charging puffing indicates that cells are breaking down and if one collapses while charging  that cell can blow
also beware of that battery when flying 
MIKE

550 RC Spider quad for FPV
550 Alien quad (my sons now)
F450 quad
450 size bell 212, MD500,Augusta 109
600 size Huey running apm 2.5  3 planes  Taranis and 9xr  radios Skyzone FPV goggles

Ross

For me, a puffed battery means the bin!!
Not worth it to keep flying with... as sooner or later....................... :banghead:
Let's be careful out there.
SAFETY is.. NO accident.

teslahed

After my last flight with a 3 cell turnigy nanotech 1600mAh battery i had to cut the flight short as i was loosing power after 9 mins. After landing the battery was warm to the touch (warmer than usual) and noticeably slightly puffed. I put it straight in the fridge when i got home to cool it back down - the puffing went away and it charged normally after being removed from the fridge and allowed to warm back up to room temperature.

Somewhat worryingly the charge only put 1400mAh back into my 1600mAh battery so i am not sure why it was loosing power when it was. I was stunt flying and probably pulling a fair few watts but the nano tech is supposed to be rated for 25 to 50C discharge - if that was really true it would not have any problems with the demands i was placing on it.

I suspect the C ratings given for the Nano techs are optimistic at best.

Biffa

Quote from: teslahed on Wednesday,March 13, 2013, 09:43:53 I suspect the C ratings given for the Nano techs are optimistic at best.

Mine are 35-70c 2200 and I am guessing should easy supply enough oomph for the set up I had, although a watt meter would be handy to see exactly what the set up was pulling. Interestingly I have 4 1300 Zippy Flightmax max packs that I have had for at least two years and they are great. Came from my Blade SR and now power the Radjet and they are as good as they day I bought them.

I also found this comment on the HK site:

Quote from: HobbyKingI';ve been flying these (and the 45-90C) packs on my multirotors. These draw 20A in a hover and a bit more whilst moving around. My packs are all puffed (even the 45C versions). I';ve bought three sets of nano-techs in the last 14 months. The 35C';s are in an the bin and the first lot of 45C';s have just been replaced. I';ve binned 5 packs in the last year and have 6 puffy packs in my flight box. I shouldn';t be over discharging them because my NAZA flight controller auto lands when the battery voltage drops to 10.5V They don';t last as long as my old flightmax 30c packs. I';ve gone back to zippy/flightmax packs.
Steve

teslahed

Turnigy Vs. NanoTech Battery Test

I get the impression they tried to do something clever with the chemistry with the nano techs, hyped them up loads, then it turned out they didn';t work quite as well as planned. But were sold anyway.

Gaza07

Looks like nano techs are crap then  :rolleyes:
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

rickp

guest325

I';ve got 1S 600mah nano techs for my Twister quad and the seem very good - no problems so far plus at £1.75 each compared with the £7.99  each for the standard ones (500mah) they are considerably better - only time will tell.
I use Gens ace or the standard blue turnigy 3S 2200';s for my other stuff and have found them reliable.

Biffa

I also have the 1 cell jobbies for my mCPX and they are/were great but I haven';t flown that for ages.

Seems a bit more than coincidence that some of us have had these packs puff on multi rotors, perhaps there was a duff or mislabeled batch :hmm:
Steve

sendtohim

i run one of the 8400mah nano-tech';s and its always been on the puffyish side after 30 odd flights im still getting a good 10 mins i also run 2 x 6000mah nano';s and they are the same i always charge them in the lipo bag just to be safe but they still keep going and so far so good, im thinking of buying 2 more 8400mah nano';s to add to the collection for more flight time while im out

forgot to say they are all 3 cell  ~~
dji f550, still running standerd running gear, with auora 9 controller, 2 x 6000mah nano-tech, 1 x 8400mah nano-tech, 1 x 5000mah turnigy, carbon gimbal with Aeroxcraft landing gear, gopro 3 black edition camera, and to top it off LED's all round for night flying (has to be done)

teslahed

Quote from: sendtohim on Wednesday,March 13, 2013, 18:44:43 im thinking of buying 2 more 8400mah nano';s to add to the collection for more flight time while im out

It';s not good for lipos to go a bit puffy under normal use. Obviously you can still use lipos that are a little bit puffed - i have. But it';s not ideal.

Maybe you should try a different brand next time? I wouldn';t buy more of a brand that had puffed after 30 charge cycles - that';s pretty poor. My latest 1600mAh nano tech puffed after about half that which is even worse! 

I would recommend the zippys instead but i haven';t been using them long enough myself to really be sure.

SimonS

I have had no problems with Zippy compacts despite giving them much abuse. I';ve even managed to put  over 4600mAh back into a 4000mAh 4s.

If you look at power versus weight, the 4s 4000mAh 25c has the highest power density out there.

Ssscrudddy

I';m not impressed with these nano tech batteries. Brand new & properly charged, 1 of them my quad just lost power & dropped out of the sky after about 1 minute of flight, battery completely dead.
The other 1, after a pretty light crash onto grass, the battery came away from the plastic on the end of the battery & went up in smoke.

Smit80

Strange, I find my experience to be nothing like some of these reports. I like the performance but having said that all mine are below 20 cycles. I track every battery with the RCLogbook app for the iPhone.

I have 7 Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries. My 5 main ones are 4s 5000mAh.

I do have question though regarding My Nano-Tech 5000';s. I always monitor and time flights. I fly them down to 3.7v per cell and every pack when charged takes 5100mAh+

Some would say I';m stressing these (going beyond the 80% rule) but I';m not taking the V/per cell very low at all. This would suggest to me that these 5000 are pretty solid and have good capacity. Would you agree?

Smit80
[url="http://www.youtube.com/c/Smit80FPV"]http://www.youtube.com/c/Smit80FPV[/url]

rsmith21

Quote from: Smit80 on Sunday,June 16, 2013, 17:04:45
Strange, I find my experience to be nothing like some of these reports. I like the performance but having said that all mine are below 20 cycles. I track every battery with the RCLogbook app for the iPhone.

I have 7 Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries. My 5 main ones are 4s 5000mAh.

I do have question though regarding My Nano-Tech 5000';s. I always monitor and time flights. I fly them down to 3.7v per cell and every pack when charged takes 5100mAh+

Some would say I';m stressing these (going beyond the 80% rule) but I';m not taking the V/per cell very low at all. This would suggest to me that these 5000 are pretty solid and have good capacity. Would you agree?

Mine burst into flames as I was fixing it to the quad for the first time, not even connected the power
http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=3184.msg25619;topicseen#new
KK2, NAZA M/V2 ugrade, Spektrum DX 8, Hubsan X4
Immersion 25Mw vtx, GoPro 4, Black Pearl Display
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

Biffa

I think it';s fair to agree that everyone';s experience of the Nano Tech is different (and not just on this forum) which would point to some serious QC issues. Perhaps as we have suggested there is an issue with a certain batch, who knows?

Personally, I wont buy any more.

Steve

Orfy

Quote from: sendtohim on Wednesday,March 13, 2013, 18:44:43
i run one of the 8400mah nano-tech';s and its always been on the puffyish side after 30 odd flights im still getting a good 10 mins i also run 2 x 6000mah nano';s and they are the same i always charge them in the lipo bag just to be safe but they still keep going and so far so good, im thinking of buying 2 more 8400mah nano';s to add to the collection for more flight time while im out

forgot to say they are all 3 cell  ~~
What';s your flight time on that?
TBS Diso, Naza M lite (GPS), e300 motors and esc,

graeme647

Just thought I would add to the conversation as there seems to be a belief that the charging process is perfectly efficient... its not, a good battery will give about 90% charging efficiency, I.e for every 1000ma the charger states you';re actually putting in 900ma, of course batteries vary and old or low quality batteries could only give 70%.

Basically any heat in the battery during charging is wasted energy, thats not to say cool charging is perfect of course.