Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 09:00:26

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 28
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 37
Total: 37

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Looking at designing my own T copter after seeing this on Youtube:

Started by guest325, Saturday,March 09, 2013, 18:18:59

Previous topic - Next topic

guest325

Simple T from Simplecopter.com
Just a few things to get straight in my head before I start:
1) What FC';s support tricopters (thinking about Multiwii or KK2)
2) Based on arm lengths of about 250mm what sort of size motors / esc';s would I need.
3) Should the controller be positioned at the centre of mass.
4) Is there anything special to be aware of during the design that could mean the difference between having something that will fly or something that will not.
Thanks in anticipation
Darrell
p.s. will be designing in Solidworks 3D cad so everthing will be well defined and if all goes well anyone who wants plans will be welcome to them (foc of course).

guest325

OK, so more research done and the project is started - been and got some 6mm hardwood ply and some 15mm square red deal; these are going to be my build materials. Started on the CAD design and will post screen shots when I';ve got something worth looking at.
I intend to have all of the electrics under a hatch (including flight battery) held on by neodymium magnets leaving to top deck free for any camera gear I might add - thinking about a 800 #16 to start me off.
Found this site very interesting - like his efforts!
http://rcexplorer.se/

Biffa

I used the RCExplorer yaw mechanism on mine http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=1638.msg13077#msg13077 and I have to say, it works great.

The KK2.0 board is also very good and easy to set up.
Steve

guest325

I';d thought about something similar for the yaw mechanism myself but not 100% - I might use a drive supported by bearings and have the servo inboard perhaps using a HK 450 Torque tube.
Still can';t make my mind up between KK2 or Multiwii though, suppose it depends on whether I want GPS or not, unless anyone knows of a better choice.

guest325

This is where I';ve got to so far, now busy sketching some ideas for the tilt mechanism for yaw and researching info for dimensions of some of the components I want to use.
Hope this gives some of you who don';t know about 3D modelling a bit of an insight.
As I said before anyone who wants this sort of help to see what their ideas might look like and to make sure the parts will fit together I will be only too pleased to help.

rokit5

I use this on the yaw:

Not sure if it';s going to work for you but its got very little slop and is quite sturdy.
Ball and sockets are from 1/8th car chassis braces:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261165568296?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
A bit of 8mm delrin but I';m sure wood will work just as good.
Hope this helps.
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"

guest325

Thanks for that, I';ve seen quite a few ways of doing it but not put anything on CAD yet, I';m a bit busy with design work for a living at the moment so have not done much more other than a few sketches for ideas I';ve got. I';d got in mind trying to come up with a closed loop system with zero slop but at the moment not quite sure which way to go.
One thing that I would like to know is what servos people are using - mine will be about 500mm accross the front T; I usually go for Tower pro or Hitec digitals for most of my toys, but have been trying some quite cheap HK metal gear 14g that seem to be very good.

Biffa

Steve

rokit5

I';ve used the same savox on my 450 tricopter but I also use the corona mini servos from HK for any side projects I have on the go. Digital, Cheap and well worth a look:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=29317
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"

Biffa

The Savox are left over from my flybarless helicopter that';s the only reason I have them kicking around.

I did try to sell them on one of the forums I use but no one wanted them so I am putting them to good use.
Steve

guest325

Quote from: rokit5 on Wednesday,March 20, 2013, 20:37:38
I';ve used the same savox on my 450 tricopter but I also use the corona mini servos from HK for any side projects I have on the go. Digital, Cheap and well worth a look:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=29317
Those were the ones I am trying out for planes at the moment - they seem to be very good especially for the price.

Leigh

Hi DarrellW,

Not sure how far you';ve gotten with this, but I';ve just done pretty much the same thing - I love Matt';s designs!

My build thread is here) - I';m using SunnySky 980kv (170w) motors from eBay, which were perfectly balanced!  I';m using the 10x4.5 SF props from Unmanned Tech Shop (the green ones).  You will need to balance them a bit, though they are consistent at least.  My test results were 17.4A / 184W / 900g at WOT.  Motors were only mildly warm after 30 seconds (without any prop wash).  I';m using HK F-30A';s.

Hope that helps - I';m new to the forum, but I';m happy to help / share any experience with my fellow hobby enthusiasts :)

Cheers

Leigh
Aussie on the loose in Belfast, NI.
Aussie on the loose in Belfast.

guest325

Quote from: hart on Monday,May 27, 2013, 00:45:30
Hi DarrellW,

Not sure how far you';ve gotten with this, but I';ve just done pretty much the same thing - I love Matt';s designs!

My build thread is here) - I';m using SunnySky 980kv (170w) motors from eBay, which were perfectly balanced!  I';m using the 10x4.5 SF props from Unmanned Tech Shop (the green ones).  You will need to balance them a bit, though they are consistent at least.  My test results were 17.4A / 184W / 900g at WOT.  Motors were only mildly warm after 30 seconds (without any prop wash).  I';m using HK F-30A';s.

Hope that helps - I';m new to the forum, but I';m happy to help / share any experience with my fellow hobby enthusiasts :)

Cheers

Leigh
Aussie on the loose in Belfast, NI.
Hi Leigh, it';s on the back burner at the moment due to pressure of other things - I';ve got most of the stuff for building the frame and a KK2 fc still pondering about the yaw mechanism but now thinking about keeping it very simple. I';ve just more or less finished the build of a Multiplex mentor for a glider tug but disaster struck when I ran the motor up -at about 3/4 throttle the prop flew off about 30 ft in the air taking the end of the motor shaft with it; so now I have to sort it out!
All good fun,  looking forward to hearing more about your new Tricopter, good luck with it
Darrell

Leigh

guest325

Well, after a stupid amount of iffing and butting it';s finally getting back under way!
I';ve decided on using either aluminium or thin stainless steel for the arms,
am going to try aluminium first because it';s lighter, I now know how I';m going to make the yaw block so watch this space!
Piccy of the arms:

JT

guest325

Quote from: JT on Monday,July 08, 2013, 13:56:23
Cool, look forward to seeing it progess ~~
Might be slow because my other half keeps finding things for me to do  :banghead:
Just weighed the two lots of arms I';ve made Aluminium 90 gms S/S 237 gms but they are considerably stronger; still going to try the aluminium ones first.

JT

I wouldn';t go for the stainless, especially if you are going for that simpleopter design, as there looks to be a lot of weight in the design of the huge plates too.

guest325

Quote from: JT on Monday,July 08, 2013, 18:43:11
I wouldn';t go for the stainless, especially if you are going for that simpleopter design, as there looks to be a lot of weight in the design of the huge plates too.
Not going that way, I want to keep to the minimum plate size I can get away with. The arms will be as in the piccy, and I am going to use 3mm ply. The section is U shape, bent them up myself - 30mm width 12mm high; will fix them to the ply with screws into rivnuts in the arm - this will make it easy to take apart if the need arises.
See if I can get it on 3D CAD for a look see; need to do that to work out the centre of mass.

guest325

Quick update:
Done some of the preliminary work to decide layout & looked at my idea for a yaw mechanism - standard size servo fitted with the motor mount very simple and positive.
CAD image of work so far:

Leigh

Quote from: DarrellW on Monday,July 08, 2013, 21:37:26
Quick update:
Done some of the preliminary work to decide layout & looked at my idea for a yaw mechanism - standard size servo fitted with the motor mount very simple and positive.
CAD image of work so far:

I';m drawing from from personal experience when I say that you shouldn';t underestimate the criticality of a good yaw mechanism in a tricopter :-)  (this is what I mean by experience).  I think you';re putting way too much load on the servo that way, it will fail spectactularly IMHO. 

Keep it simple and you';ll never go wrong - check out simplecopter.com for an example of a simple yaw block - mounted with either a glued or threaded rod into the rear boom, secured at the rear with a wheel collar.  You can';t go wrong, once you get it right :-)  See my latest videos from tonight on youtube (link above) for an example.  (uploading now).

JT

Darrell, I don';t think that yaw mechanism will be strong enough, if you think how the force of the propeller will act on it, its going to be trying to twist forward as well as up as its only held on at the front. I think it needs to be anchored both sides(or underneath) of the motor. I do like the direct drive from the servo rather than a linkage as its a point of failure removed, the design I opted for works incredibly well, other than that for a direct drive I think I would mount a piece of aluminium rod(very light) through two small u shaped brackets on top of the tail boom, drive the bar direct from the servo and mount the motor inbetween the brackets, a couple of small pieces of a close fitting(to the aluminium bar) brass pipe through the brackets would work well as low friction bushings(that is how I thought of doing mine until I got lazy and decided to stick to rcexplorers design)

Biffa

Quote from: JT on Monday,July 08, 2013, 22:45:10
...until I got lazy and decided to stick to rcexplorers design

The design is very good, and works flawlessly ~~
Steve

guest325

Looking at it, it does satisfy my criteria - looks like doing it that way then!
Joined the RCexplorer website see if I can pick up some more useful info.
I';ve also looked at a different position for the battery, I think I will probably have it underslung off a bottom plate that is identical to the top one - some slimming down to do!  Will post latest CAD model when I';ve done it.

guest325

A little bit more done, schematic layout with some dimensions now: