Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 12:07:06

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 30
Total: 30

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Introducing the TwinThing

Started by dp106, Monday,February 15, 2016, 21:29:55

Previous topic - Next topic

dp106

Ever since I first tried fixed wing FPV I';ve longed to have a Twinstar.  The videos from others as they pan the camera to look across the wing at their motors has always filled me with envy :)  The trouble is I don';t really need another FPV plane and I already have too many LOS planes in the hanger already, (at least as far as my better half is concerned).  The solution was to build a Twinstar inspired scratch build, heavily inspired by the Experimental Airlines Photon glider.

I';ve done a small overview video including the maiden:  ! No longer available

I';ve started doing a more detailed overview here:  http://davesrc.blogspot.co.uk  Not sure if people are interested in more detail or not.  If people want I can add detail here as well.

crash pilot

I found that good Ive been toying with the idea of building a wing. After experimenting trying to make a wing for a mustang and broke it I gave up. Now after reading this I might just get on with making my wing, thanks for the inspiration. ~~

dp106

Do it, it';s great when you manage to get it into the air. If you';re new to scratch building the free plans from flitetest are a good place to start, takes the guess work out of it.

Gav

Nice vid with nice plinky plonk music for the successful maiden[emoji14].  It seems nice and stable and very rapid.  Have you flown it fpv yet? 

dp106

I did attempt it but when I was adding the weight on the front to balance it out I neglected to notice I';d half blocked my video camera. I did try out 2D hold and RTH on the Vector though and both are working very well. From what I could tell it was cruising on about 6amps but I only had the goggles on briefly so will need more testing to confirm

guest325

I like the simplicity of how you';ve mounted the motors, nacelles look nice but are added weight!!!
Looks a nice camera/fpv platform to me, the Experimental airlines wing design is pretty efficient for how simple its construction is.
Following with interest ::)
I';m looking at this sort of idea atm

dp106

I';ve completed my first set of improvements following the maiden.

I have shifted the motors so they are mounted above the wing this will hopefully give enough clearance to stop the mounts being bent on landing.

I';ve also made room to shift the battery further forward and it now balances perfectly without having to add more weight on the nose.

Still need to work out what to do about the nose add I don';t like the green tape and think this makes it look a bit ugly..

nub

:laugh: ach it don';t look that bad, it';s how it flies is the main thing ::)

get some white tape and wrap that around it.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

dp106

Yeah I did notice Screwfix had some white packing tape so I might wander down there and get a roll.  I';ve not got much imagination when it comes to putting a colour scheme on planes unfortunately!

Friskle

damn this has reminded me, i need to maiden my twin cargo plane...
Yuneec Q500+
Yuneec Typhoon H
Nano QX2
Nano QX3D
Blade 180QX
Blade 200QX
DJI 450 frame + Naza M V2 = GPS
ZMR 250
250 Pro - Dys 2300kv motors , Naze32 Acro
300 Folding Frame sporting a Naza Lite + GPS

dp106

Made an attempt at a slightly better looking nose. Think it';s a bit better than the green

Hozza

What about designing something and having it 3D printed?

dp106

For the nose? My logic around using polystyrene on the front is if I have a rough landing it will take the brunt of the impact and leave the plane intact. Not sure something 3D printed would serve the same purpose?

Hozza

Quote from: dp106 on Thursday,February 18, 2016, 09:04:01
For the nose? My logic around using polystyrene on the front is if I have a rough landing it will take the brunt of the impact and leave the plane intact. Not sure something 3D printed would serve the same purpose?

You';re probably right, what about a thin wall 3D printed cap to go over the top?

nub

Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Friskle

dont forget to make sure both props are spinning inwards, eg, one CW one CCW, to cacel each others Torque.
Yuneec Q500+
Yuneec Typhoon H
Nano QX2
Nano QX3D
Blade 180QX
Blade 200QX
ZMR 250

dp106

I saw a lot of comments where people haven';t bothered so I didn';t worry about that. Can';t say I noticed any issues on the maiden.

Friskle

fair enough,, but both inwards like mentioned does usually make quite a difference.
Yuneec Q500+
Yuneec Typhoon H
Nano QX2
Nano QX3D
Blade 180QX
Blade 200QX
ZMR 250

nub

suppose would be easy enough to give it a try to see what difference there is if any :smiley:
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

dp106

I braved the windy weather on Friday to test the new motor mount position and bigger 3000mah battery.

http://youtu.be/pAYk5NNFvtg

Coped in the wind well and managed a couple of fpv flights as well. Sadly I neglected to switch my dvr on for those  :slap:

dp106

The wind finally dropped for a bit so I managed to get out and see if the Twin would take a 5000 4s. Only thing of note was it is slightly harder to launch. Although I say that it just dropped a bit rather than immediately climbing out of my hands. http://youtu.be/uwIlndeMWOw

dp106

Tried covering completely in green, think this is the best look yet. I';ll just be putting some black stripes on the underside of the wings for contrast