Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,April 27, 2024, 05:17:53

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20
Total: 20

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Changing the rotation of motors

Started by Fatcat971, Tuesday,September 08, 2015, 10:07:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatcat971

Hi. I have been building my first drone for a while but had to stop for a few weeks. Had most of the work done but my charger had a fault. Put the thing away after setting up all hardware and had the cc3d working so that the motors all turned in the right direction. Dug it out to try with new freshly charged batteries using new charger ready to get off the ground. However now my motors turn the wrong way on one side. No idea why. Not changed the system physically at all. I have flashed the flight controller and everything is working fine apart from the motors on one side turning the wrong way. Is there an easy way to reverse them? That is without having to cut and re-solder the speed controllers?

Digit

There are two ways to reverse the direction of a brushless motor, one is to swap any two of the three wires and the other is to program the ESC.
The simplest is to swap the wires

quadfather

I';m pretty sure OpenPilot GCS lets you swap motor directions.  I';ll confirm when I get back from work.
-rw-rw-rw-  –  The Number of the Beast

Revs

AFAIK there';s no way a FC can change the direction of the motors. Either ESC programming or swapping wires as said.

bazzerh

Open pilot gives you the option of reversing all 4 motors but you can';t change just 2. Last time I used openpilot it worked like that anyway.
Round By Round Qualifying and Finals For All.

it just makes sense

Revs

Quote from: bazzerh on Tuesday,September 08, 2015, 13:00:37
Open pilot gives you the option of reversing all 4 motors but you can';t change just 2. Last time I used openpilot it worked like that anyway.

I can';t imagine how that command would get to the ESC though, and what ESCs can be reversed by a command through the signal wire?

I';m not saying it';s not true, but I';ve not seen this before and would like to know :smiley: There must be an extra wire or something..

NorcoT

Quote from: Revs on Tuesday,September 08, 2015, 15:03:02
I can';t imagine how that command would get to the ESC though, and what ESCs can be reversed by a command through the signal wire?

I';m not saying it';s not true, but I';ve not seen this before and would like to know :smiley: There must be an extra wire or something..

BLHeli on supported ESCs can configure motor direction through the signal wire of the ESC if the bootloader is installed on it. Generally you hook it up to the computer using USB dongle of some sort (or an Arduino) and then the BLHelisuite can configure the ESC. Anything from motor direction, refresh rate, damped light etc can be configured.

I';ve never heard of it being done from the FC however so I need to look into that one..

Stalker

Quote from: NorcoT on Tuesday,September 08, 2015, 15:42:05
BLHeli on supported ESCs can configure motor direction through the signal wire of the ESC if the bootloader is installed on it. Generally you hook it up to the computer using USB dongle of some sort (or an Arduino) and then the BLHelisuite can configure the ESC. Anything from motor direction, refresh rate, damped light etc can be configured.

I';ve never heard of it being done from the FC however so I need to look into that one..
Boris B';s Betaflight allows you to configure via plugging into the FC. You still use BLHeli suite to configure, and it currently only works with ESC';s with BLHeli bootloader on them. It';s great for me as my pins are soldered underneath, low profile style. Previously, ESC adjustments meant a partial strip down to get to the servo plugs, but now I can plug straight into the SPR FC and adjust that way.

Edit: Here';s a link to the thread that explains how it';s done. There';s a video in the first post. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2464844

quadfather

Quote from: bazzerh on Tuesday,September 08, 2015, 13:00:37

Confirmed, you can only change rotation for all props.

So you';ll either have to swap two of the three wires or in the ESC firmware, if you';re using SimonK or BLHeli.
-rw-rw-rw-  –  The Number of the Beast

davethepitch

I guess Blheli can save you a load of time swapping wires especially after they have been soldered.

xxpitt

Need to have bootloader on already or you can';t flash via the servo wire

Jazzz

It takes two mins to resolder the motor wires you could have it done before your PC boots up ... ~~

Fatcat971

Thanks for all the posts. I must have just not checked closely enough. I do however remember being surprised that all the rotors were turning in the right direction as soon as I had soldered the wires in place first time. I was expecting to have to fiddle on and swap them around. Must have just not checked them closely enough but seems a bit strange. I am not normally that thick.  :whistling:

Anyway swapped the wires around and all is good. Now just got the problem of crashing it into everything  :frantic: