Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,August 23, 2019, 01:02:22

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
22 Aug 2019 22:47:32
Sorted mate  ~~
Andy7:
22 Aug 2019 10:27:36
Sure. But basically, all the subjects are getting cut off.
Gaza07:
21 Aug 2019 18:14:54
Can you pm me a screen shot of what you mean
Andy7:
21 Aug 2019 12:15:41
Gaza - can you make the subject line section in the forum topic list wider? It's cutting off the subject field really short.
Andy7:
19 Aug 2019 09:14:20
Good for you!  ~~
DarkButterfly:
18 Aug 2019 19:13:57
Had another negative encounter, it's been a few years since the last one, just an uneducated ******, going on about drones being illegal yada yada yada.    :-/
Still that didn't spoil my flying time, had an absolute blast  ~~
Gaza07:
07 Aug 2019 19:52:01
ooooh mrs jones  :D
hoverfly:
30 Jul 2019 15:26:34
D.B. you tightwad.. :cool:
atomiclama:
29 Jul 2019 20:14:10
DB that just means you have shed loads of props in the first place ;-)
DarkButterfly:
29 Jul 2019 18:53:33
Just had a thought, even with all the crashing I've done, I haven't bought any replacement props in over a year ~~
Members
  • Total Members: 8066
  • Latest: badger1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 196578
  • Total Topics: 19804
  • Online Today: 44
  • Online Ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 38
Total: 38

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Printing 3d Forum

First flights with my GoPro 3 silver - Lancaster Sunrise

Started by teslahed, Thursday,February 28, 2013, 08:42:20

Previous topic - Next topic

teslahed

I didn';t think it would manage it but it turns out my mini ';Teslaquad'; quadcopter can actually lift my gopro 3 silver. It';s not exactly sporty, but it does climb and it means I';ve been able to get the first couple of decent quality aerial videos uploaded at last.

[smg id=155]

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=1327.0

The total flying weight is 588 grams. It was 500 grams before i added the gopro and more like 360 grams before i added all the FPV equipment. It used to be quite acrobatic :whistling:

There';s a bit of jello but I';m quite happy for my first attempt. I have some moongel on order which should help clear up the remaining wobbles and i will try recording at 720p and 60fps rather than 1080 and 30fps for the next attempt as well.

The first video was taken just before the sun was fully up and the second one just after;

Videos taken above Lancaster, Lancashire, UK; 54.049021,-2.774891

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Biffa

Excellent stuff :cool:

Does the quad behave differently with all your gear above the CoG?
Steve

teslahed

Quote from: Biffa on Thursday,February 28, 2013, 09:29:49 Does the quad behave differently with all your gear above the CoG?

Surprisingly not - i haven';t even retuned the PIDs, although i probably should - i might be able to get slightly smoother video if i lower my P on roll and pitch by 0.2 or so.

I can definitely feel that it doesn';t like climbing as much as before and i have to think about slowing my descent a bit further in advance if i don';t want to bottom out and bounce off the grass - i can feel the increased momentum and decreased thrust to weight ratio - but it';s totally flyable.

I won';t be flying it FPV with the GoPro 3 attached the whole time - I';ll just bung it on when the conditions are especially good and i fancy some high quality video. In the long run I';m going to build a bigger quadcopter...

Biffa

Quote from: teslahed on Thursday,February 28, 2013, 10:16:37
Surprisingly not - i haven';t even retuned the PIDs, although i probably should - i might be able to get slightly smoother video if i lower my P on roll and pitch by 0.2 or so.

That is surprising, you would have thought with the weight on the top it would be fighting to keep upright all the time and stop tipping over. I wonder if the motors are working harder to keep it stable with the Gopro on top as well as coping with the extra payload.

Didn';t sound over stressed though.
Steve

teslahed

Thursday,February 28, 2013, 10:52:08 #4 Last Edit: Thursday,February 28, 2013, 11:19:22 by teslahed
Quote from: Biffa on Thursday,February 28, 2013, 10:29:14
That is surprising, you would have thought with the weight on the top it would be fighting to keep upright all the time and stop tipping over. I wonder if the motors are working harder to keep it stable with the Gopro on top as well as coping with the extra payload.

Didn';t sound over stressed though.

I would like to know more about the theory here. Because the way a quadcopter balances is a bit like an inverted pendulum (like balancing a broomstick on your finger). If you';ve ever balanced a broomstick you';ll know that the longer the stick and the higher the Centre of Gravity, the easier it is to balance.

I wonder if this has any bearing on multirotors. Obviously with a plane if you up the centre of gravity it will simply become less stable but i wonder if things aren';t a bit more complex with quads.

In the past when i have had to retune a quadcopter after raising the centre of gravity i';ve always had to lower the P settings for the gyros on pitch and roll to get the same level of control. This suggests to me that the quadcopter is able to balance equally well on a lower strength gyro response when the centre of gravity is raised - similar to how a broomstick is also easier to balance on your finger if you raise the CoG.

This is where it would be great to have someone with experience programming the flight controllers who could give an actual informed opinion... :whistling:

Biffa

Quote from: teslahed on Thursday,February 28, 2013, 10:52:08
I would like to know more about the theory here. Because the way a quadcopter balances is a bit like an inverted pendulum (like balancing a broomstick on your finger). If you';ve ever balanced a broomstick you';ll know that the longer the stick and the higher the Centre of Gravity, the easier it is to balance.

You';re right a longer broomstick is easier to balance, I never thought of it like that.

Perhaps then it';s easier for a quad to balance with a payload above the CoG rather than under as you see with most AP multis Of course though with a camera above you then don';t have a clear FOV downwards so it would defeat the object.

Interesting though :hmm:
Steve

Jumpy07

Good one Chris,
You must have been up early today !!
You must be well pleased with the better video quality.. but bet it was slightly daunting strapping an expensive camera on a quad.. (I know it is for me lol)

BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

teslahed

Quote from: Jumpy07 on Thursday,February 28, 2013, 11:17:13
Good one Chris,
You must have been up early today !!
You must be well pleased with the better video quality.. but bet it was slightly daunting strapping an expensive camera on a quad.. (I know it is for me lol)

Lol yeah it was a bit scary at first. Then i stopped worrying about it. Then i realised i';d just dived down from altitude at full speed and the quad was too far away to see if the camera was still attached or not. Fortunately it stayed stuck on.

I did seem to get quite a lot of video interference though - at the time i thought it was the cold but i';ve just remembered i left the wireless turned on on the gopro - wonder if that affected anything?

teslahed

Here';s another one - slightly different location this time, still Lancaster. Also, sunset;

teslahed

teslahed

Same video uploaded to vimeo to see if the quality is any better over there;

biggordy76

Quote from: teslahed on Thursday,February 28, 2013, 08:42:20

Videos taken above Lancaster, Lancashire, UK; 54.049021,-2.774891

And no worried officers coming out from the young offenders place close by then ? Id of thot you would of had a "excuse me sir can I see some ID"  lol

teslahed

First attempt at flipping the thing. It struggles with the weight of the gopro - definitely flips better when i';m not recording video at the same time.