Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Monday,February 17, 2020, 15:23:22

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Andy777:
14 Feb 2020 16:14:59
Hi there. Im new. Having problems with my tarot landing gear. Its plugged into ch7 on futaba receiver. When i flick switch on transmitter i can hear a faint click on both legs but no movement. My flight controller is a mini px4 with no aux out terminals.
sh0wtime:
09 Feb 2020 16:57:32
and another :smiley:
Gaza07:
09 Feb 2020 10:22:04
Time for a new shoutbox post   ;)
Rares Gosav:
17 Jan 2020 17:44:22
Hi guys and happy new year!!!
ched:
01 Jan 2020 00:12:50
Happy new year everyone, happy flying.  :beer2: :beer2:
Gaza07:
31 Dec 2019 17:06:13
Happy new year all hope 2020 is a cracking year for you  :beer2:
ched:
25 Dec 2019 00:00:49
Happy Christmas to everyone.
apollo7:
24 Dec 2019 13:50:56
Seasons greetings to all on this forum have a good one ;)
ched:
21 Dec 2019 17:58:42
Have a great time DB. Look forward your projects in 2020.  :beer2:
hoverfly:
21 Dec 2019 16:59:17
Have a good one D.B. ~~ :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 197687
  • Total Topics: 19953
  • Online Today: 48
  • Online Ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 28
Total: 29

Theme Changer

thumbnail

3d - Printworx

Printing 3d Forum

Decisions decisions

Started by kilby, Friday,July 31, 2015, 09:57:42

Previous topic - Next topic

kilby

It is something that is missing considering the old MultiWii could do it.

If I hadn';t lost it I was considering buying a Sparky or Brain on payday (with suitable GPS) as it would turn a 250 (or 320 in my case) into a nice multipurpose craft (considering the power of a modern 250 it could make a great little camera ship)

With some further thought I';m not 100% sure what the problem actually was getting orientation or other issue or more likely both (I';m so rusty I';ve almost forgotten how to fly a quad)

I had been about to set up head free mode simply to have a play at the weekend. Headfree mode may have done the trick, been or been ignored (or even made things worse)

But my lack of effective throttle and bleating telemetry sort of hints at the possibility of other issues, which is annoying as I get no resolution on the matter.

I found a few threads where people where complaining about recent D4R-II receivers having serious range issues (but it could be folks blaming the RX on flying ability, Luke I might be doing)

On my rebuild I';m considering going for an X4R model (just in case) and using the analogue battery monitor just in case and the price is similar anyway.
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

richardg6paj

Kilby, for what it';s worth I use one of these.
http://fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html
The website hasn';t been updated, the new version is really good.

Richard

ched

Quote from: richardg6paj on Tuesday,August 04, 2015, 08:29:38
Kilby, for what it';s worth I use one of these.
http://fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html
The website hasn';t been updated, the new version is really good.

Richard

Looks nice and light. But you do you pick up the signal and get the direction?
I try :-)

kilby

Richard,

this and a couple of others are on the list that I have looked at over the last few months (and much closer since Saturday)

Chedd, what you do is fit a suitable antenna (usually a Yagi) to a radio and you can get a bearing on the downed machine.

The joy of 433MHz is you don';t need a direct line of site and it cuts through woods, plants and walls.
Taranis+

ched

Quote from: kilby on Tuesday,August 04, 2015, 11:44:23
Chedd, what you do is fit a suitable antenna (usually a Yagi) to a radio and you can get a bearing on the downed machine.

Thanks now I understand. I can use my PMR radio with a yagi antenna or make the existing one more directional  :smiley:
Cheers.
I try :-)

kilby

Quote from: ched999uk on Tuesday,August 04, 2015, 12:03:19
Thanks now I understand. I can use my PMR radio with a yagi antenna or make the existing one more directional  :smiley:
Cheers.

I found this video on Saturday which shows the difference between 2.4GHz & 433MHz quite well, even though you can get quite some distance with 2.4 it really isn';t suitable in many of the places that we end up flying.

! No longer available

I got the Loc8or as a stopgap (better than nothing and I had Amazon vouchers) but want something more suitable for those of us who don';t fly on desert lakes ;)
Taranis+

richardg6paj

Quote from: ched999uk on Tuesday,August 04, 2015, 12:03:19
Cheers.

Yes Cheddar,  everything Kilby said is correct. This little device is programmable frequency wise in the 433 band and also in the 446 PMR band. You might have problems finding a 446 radio with detachable aerial, so would be difficult to attach a yagi. A cheap scanner might be better. As a ham I';m spoilt for choice. The beacon is self contained including battery. It monitors noise from props and motors if it doesn';t hear any noise for a preset time it will start transmitting.
To pinpoint something with a beacon takes a bit of practice (great fun) but even without practice you can get close enough to hear a buzzer or even finish off using a loc8tor.
You just have to remember to switch it on before take off  :whistling:

Richard

kilby

The price is affordable enough to buy as a test (providing I can find a suitable receiver)

What sort of deliver time do these guys have?
Taranis+

richardg6paj

Quote from: kilby on Tuesday,August 04, 2015, 13:24:56
The price is affordable enough to buy as a test (providing I can find a suitable receiver)

What sort of deliver time do these guys have?

Weeks rather than days unfortunately.

richardg6paj

Tuesday,August 04, 2015, 14:14:43 #39 Last Edit: Tuesday,August 04, 2015, 14:24:18 by richardg6paj
I was also looking at this to try, but again it';s the other side of the world.
http://www2.pmb.co.nz/blog/?wpsc-product=multi-rotor-lost-model-tracker

In fact I';ve just bought one from the above site, £22.51 inc shipping.

Richard

kilby

Thanks for that I will have a look when the tea break turns up, though the weeks bit shouldn';t matter as a replacement machine is at least 3 weeks away anyway.

Funny enough I was speaking to a friend about this about an hour ago.

Ironically he has designed and built (meaning designed the hardware and written the software) for a vehicle tracking system.

But on top of that his company where contracted to design essentially the first pet tracking system to hit the market a few years ago (he still loathes that project to this day)

I walked across the car park and say 6 high end carbon fibre bikes at over £1k each so from my reckoning there is a market for a long range tracking solution, even down to somebody stealing our wheelie bin a few weeks ago, it';s £50 to replace the bin so even a cheap tracker tag installed in the handle of the bin would have paid for itself.
Taranis+

kilby

Just realised something after playing with the Taranis a few minutes ago.

Regarding the Telemetry, I had 0 RSSI but the text NO DATA wasn';t flashing at the bottom of the telemetry screen

Also Cels was displaying a value 6.0 I had assumed at the time that the display was displaying random nonsense.

Considering it started off at over 13v like a good 3S should (checked with a battery meter before use)

Anybody have any idea how a Naze & D4R-II will behave when voltage starved?

I never heard the buzzer triggering and would have assumed that the quad would have dropped like a rock.

But the telemetry did whine twice about low battery just as the problems set in.

Don';t get me wrong I';m still assuming pilot ineptitude as the most likely cause but I am trying to understand the cause to reduce the likelihood of it happening again.
Taranis+