Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 22:11:57

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 21
Total: 21

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Wind speed!

Started by ChrisH, Friday,February 22, 2013, 09:02:55

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisH

Hi All,

What wind speed max will you guys fly in safely? I appreciate it will vary with quad size/power/FC and experience but as a general guide for a F450 size flying at 1.3Kg? I would be thinking twice much above 10mph and watching for gusts.

Cheers,  :smiley:
Chris
Hubsan X4
DJI F450, Naza, GPS, DX8,
Tarot FY680 Naza, GPS, Hero3 Silver, 5.8 FPV with screen
 :england:

RS

For me 10-15mph  is  perfectly fine for acro flying.  I have  done it  in ~30mph wind ,but it wasn';t fun because my quad barely moved against the  wind :)
With powerful copter  it  would  be  much better:)
For aerial video Im looking  for a very calm day, maybe up to 5mph

rsmith21

Is the limitation because it would cause the quad to become unstable and flip, or because the quad would struggle to make headway.
KK2, NAZA M/V2 ugrade, Spektrum DX 8, Hubsan X4
Immersion 25Mw vtx, GoPro 4, Black Pearl Display
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

Hands0n

I few today in winds that had to be gusting upwards of 20mph or more, such that you could feel it pushing hard against the body.  As a relative newbie to the hobby it was a bit of a challenge, fortunately using the FCs auto level, GPS Hold and GPS Home helped, in one case vital or I';d be minus a quadcopter right now.

See for yourself http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=3125.msg25041;topicseen#new  The second video is the scary one, I really thought it was game over.

I just think it isn';t inherently unsafe to fly in wind that is within the capability of the pilot and the aircraft. Beyond that, it can';t be safe or advisable I';d say.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

guest325

The simple answer is that the quad doesn';t know it';s windy but you do - if its got enough power and you';re capable then the wind speed to a point is irrelevant that said the worst I';ve flown in is about 15mph gusting up to about 25mph - and believe me it needed 100% concentration, exilerating but not that pleasurable!

rsmith21

That was  some video  :o , my quad must still require some gain trimming, it would have been all over the place in that !
KK2, NAZA M/V2 ugrade, Spektrum DX 8, Hubsan X4
Immersion 25Mw vtx, GoPro 4, Black Pearl Display
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

nub

10-15mph i';d say then things might get a bit of a handful especially flying with the wind :laugh:
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

guest325

Quote from: nub on Saturday,June 22, 2013, 23:29:54
10-15mph i';d say then things might get a bit of a handful especially flying with the wind :laugh:
Yeah, things happen just a tad faster than upwind  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

dp106

Are you guys talking about flying in those sort of winds in manual or having some sort aids turned on with your fc? I';ve flown in reasonably windy conditions but needed to have the naza in attitude mode to keep things under control

Hands0n

Yesterday (in those vids) I had mine in Horizon (Attitude) mode.  GPS Hold struggled but managed it (not in the vid) as long as I kept the throttle above mid.  GPS Home worked, but needed significant throttle to gain enough power to fight the wind. I got the distinct feeling that I was right at the edge of my luck, the aircraft was only just making progress into the headwind. 
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

spacey

only thing to take out flying today is a kite!  :thumbdown:  it';s blowing a Force 6, gusting Force 7 down here on the south coast - that';s 25-38mph winds!  :o

jwl940

I forget to breathe while watching that second video, will it or won';t it was going through my mind.  Will or won';t it return, will or won';t the batteries last.  Any preconceived notion I had that RTL is a gimmick was quickly dispelled.  Yet more studying to do before I take the next step.  Great post, thanks for sharing it.

John

guest325

Quote from: dp106 on Sunday,June 23, 2013, 11:09:55
Are you guys talking about flying in those sort of winds in manual or having some sort aids turned on with your fc? I';ve flown in reasonably windy conditions but needed to have the naza in attitude mode to keep things under control
I was flying manually, no FC aids but hovering over the rtl switch and ready to throttle up. If you can fly manually you will be more confident with yourself, I';m really still very much a beginner and still have problems with flying a nice smooth circuit but can hover and move around reasonably well in quite windy conditions which at the moment with all this cr4ppy weather is useful. It';s taken me hours of practice to be able to do it but it';s been well worth the effort, next to learn to fly more smoothly and get into flying circuits - would like to get a bmfa A test done (if examiners exist yet).

Hands0n

@jwl940 - I was shaking like a leaf for about 15 mins after. The adrenaline rush was intense. Even chucking a motorcycle around a track doesn';t do that.

Quote from: DarrellW on Sunday,June 23, 2013, 12:07:23
I was flying manually, no FC aids but hovering over the rtl switch and ready to throttle up.

That seems to be the unwritten trick, to nail the throttle and hit RTL or Loiter while you recompose yourself. It is a good safety net to have.  I';ve got to say I admire you there fella, to fly all manually is where I';d like to get. I';m hoping to sharpen my claws using a Teslaquad bought from Chris on here.
--
Danny

guest325

The biggest thing that helps is having the patience to carry on doing something that is or can be boring until you do it right, just the same with flying helis - I wasn';t patient with them and failed abysmally to the point where I gave up on them; not going there again learned my lesson.
Practice practice practice and be patient not overstretching your abilities too soon.

Hands0n

I';m at that stage where I can take off in full manual - but in anything other than still air I get in trouble quite quickly.  So I';ve gone for the more sophisticated FCs now (MultiWii Pro and APM 2.5 soon) to act as my safety net. 

Like you, I tried my had several times at the cheaper end helicopters, around the £50 mark. Each ended up in disaster and I gave up.  And I did hit a bit of a low with my KK2 FC in the 450 air frame. Like you say, persistence wins out though. And the help and advice on this forum is surpassed by none other. Wish I';d found the resource before I started, it would have saved a few fundamental errors  ;)
--
Danny