Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 26, 2024, 15:45:50

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Guide for a noob to fit High Intensity LEDs..

Started by dp106, Saturday,March 09, 2013, 23:20:22

Previous topic - Next topic

dp106

Is there anyone who might be able to spell it out to me in plain English how I would go about fitting some of the high intensity LEDs that Giant Shark sell please?

I know this much, at least I think I do..

1.  I would need to solder wires onto the strip. This is my first problem, I bought a power distribution cable so I wouldn';t have to solder anything, but this means I have nothing to solder the cables from the leds onto. Maybe I could connect these to a servo plug and power from my transmitter but then would I not get enough power to them and they wouldn';t be bright enough?

2. What sort of cable do I need to solder onto the strips?

Really struggling with keeping track of the orientation of my quad so need these to be visible in daylight..

sendtohim

if you solder them directly to the esc wires they will work fine are you able to do that

dji f550, still running standerd running gear, with auora 9 controller, 2 x 6000mah nano-tech, 1 x 8400mah nano-tech, 1 x 5000mah turnigy, carbon gimbal with Aeroxcraft landing gear, gopro 3 black edition camera, and to top it off LED's all round for night flying (has to be done)

Balders

Those leds need up to 12v to work and more than 8 so you can';t run them off a receiver. They run perfectly off a 3S battery though. I have used the balance plug before and even cheap speaker cable for wire. They hardly draw any current.
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

fruitsalad

get yourself a brushed esc..
tap the brushed esc power wires to the power source(battery terminals),
the other end of the brushed esc to the leds..
plug into a spare rx channel..
now you can turn leds on and off via a switch on your tx..
dont grow up,just buy bigger toys!!!!

dp106

Quote from: sendtohim on Saturday,March 09, 2013, 23:25:03
if you solder them directly to the esc wires they will work fine are you able to do that
Not sure :-S I bought multistar escs specifically because they already have bullet connectors attached. I';m a bit loath to mess about with the connectors in case I screw them up.

sendtohim

Quote from: dp106 on Saturday,March 09, 2013, 23:47:50
Not sure :-S I bought multistar escs specifically because they already have bullet connectors attached. I';m a bit loath to mess about with the connectors in case I screw them up.

if you power it all up first then attach the led wires to see if they light up, do you have any close up pics you can put up then we can advise where to go and what the best option is  :hmm:
dji f550, still running standerd running gear, with auora 9 controller, 2 x 6000mah nano-tech, 1 x 8400mah nano-tech, 1 x 5000mah turnigy, carbon gimbal with Aeroxcraft landing gear, gopro 3 black edition camera, and to top it off LED's all round for night flying (has to be done)

dp106

Quote from: sendtohim on Saturday,March 09, 2013, 23:57:35
if you power it all up first then attach the led wires to see if they light up, do you have any close up pics you can put up then we can advise where to go and what the best option is  :hmm:
I haven';t bought any yet, just seeking advice first to make sure I can do it. :-)

At the moment I have my escs connected to the power distribution cable with bullet connnectors. So im thinking, rather than mess around with the esc cable create myself a new cable between the esc and the power distribution cable. I can then also solder cable from this to power the LEDs. Perhaps not so neat but if I mess up the soldering I haven';t screwed up the esc connector.  Not sure if that all makes sense.

Current setup uses this to distribute power: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=25483
To these escs: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=25365
No soldering required :-)

Balders

The giant shark LEDs come with wires attached with a barrel plug you will not be using. However you will also have to cut the strips to length and solder on to the pads. Just run some the two core wire back to a pair of bullet connectors and use your distribution board.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

sendtohim

my leds i got here http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/epoxy_coated_100cm%EF%BC%88purple%29_aeo-nf004-p-p-21265.html they are very good quality, but you gonna have to get your setup together then decide after the best way  :waiting:

dp106

Quote from: Balders on Sunday,March 10, 2013, 08:31:44
The giant shark LEDs come with wires attached with a barrel plug you will not be using. However you will also have to cut the strips to length and solder on to the pads. Just run some the two core wire back to a pair of bullet connectors and use your distribution board.
Solder onto pads?

fruitsalad

your easiest way would be get this..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23133__JST_XH_to_JST_LED_Power_Distribution_Lead_4_JST_.html

solder a jst plug to leds,plug leds to jst connecter other end goes into the batterys white plug.
you have 4 connections available if you wish to connect all leds strip seperately,
4 seperate leds strips connected in parallel to the outlets would be better as if one led fails you lose just that one strip,connected in series(one continuous strip) one led fails the whole lot go out..

Balders

Quote from: dp106 on Sunday,March 10, 2013, 09:44:08
Solder onto pads?

On the led strip there are two exposed copper pads, that';s what you solder some wires onto.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

dp106

Ah ok cool thanks. I should probably get some extra wire as well I think.. What sort of wire do I need?

Ross

12mm seven starnded hookup wire ok for strips from 12v.....get it at the model railway shop and ask for "Hookup" wire.
Let's be careful out there.
SAFETY is.. NO accident.

dp106

Quote from: fruitsalad on Sunday,March 10, 2013, 09:50:49
your easiest way would be get this..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23133__JST_XH_to_JST_LED_Power_Distribution_Lead_4_JST_.html

solder a jst plug to leds,plug leds to jst connecter other end goes into the batterys white plug.
you have 4 connections available if you wish to connect all leds strip seperately,
4 seperate leds strips connected in parallel to the outlets would be better as if one led fails you lose just that one strip,connected in series(one continuous strip) one led fails the whole lot go out..
Ooo cool that looks like it could be simpler for me :) Will the leds still get enough power going through the balance plug?

fruitsalad

yes will be fine,gets it 12v direct from battery..
i hook up my planes this way or i use the brushed esc method to have them switchable..

Balders

Quote from: dp106 on Sunday,March 10, 2013, 11:01:10
Ooo cool that looks like it could be simpler for me :) Will the leds still get enough power going through the balance plug?

More than enough...they burn next to nothing :)

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

XH558

It may help you to see my installation - not pretty  - but functional ...

Connected to the power distribution board by a 2 pin plug then connected to the strip ends ..... at each arm end I drill a hole and take two wires through to the next strip in the length rather than wrapping them around the arm ends where I consider them vulnerable to damage. So on mine there are 8 strips connected to the one 2 pin plug and they are very bright and make orientation much easier in the day .... green to the front - red to the back ....
David :)
[url="//www.mh434.com"]www.mh434.com[/url]
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

dp106

Cool thanks for the photos, gives me an idea of the task ahead :-) Although I can';t do exactly the same as I';m not using a distribution board.

XH558

It matters not .. on my Hex I';ve done exactly the same thing - that is strips of LEDs with joining wires but just soldered 2 wires into the plug that takes the battery supply to the Naza... no plug - no distribution board - just a direct soldered connection.  ~~

David :)
[url="//www.mh434.com"]www.mh434.com[/url]
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

dp106

Guys thanks for all your help so far, I have one more question..

I like the idea of powering the leds from the balance plug. Only problem is I have an alarm plugged in at the moment to warn me when the voltage is low. So could I use something like this to plug both in? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__27077__JST_XH_Parallel_Balance_Lead_3S_250mm_2xJST_XH_.html

Looks to be the wrong way round to me but someone has commented you can use it for just this purpose so maybe I';m missing something..