Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 14:10:24

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 21
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Quanum telemetry system

Started by Flyinegypt, Friday,February 15, 2013, 09:24:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyinegypt

I hope I have put this in the correct section...mods please feel free to move if necessary.

I am looking for some advice here folks.
I am going to build a hexacopter for aerial photography.
I am currently in the electronics package planning stage. So far I have the ArduPilot Mega Board 2.5+  and Ublox LEA-6H GPS. I have considered getting the 3DR telemetry radio link but on consideration the extremely bright sunlight here would make viewing the data on a laptop screen totally impractical.
I do not really need live GPS and other data but I do need to know the state of my batteries and Ah consumption because, unlike the fixed wing models I am used to, I am acutely aware that running out of battery capacity on a multicopter spells immediate disaster.
I have been looking at the Quanum 2.4Ghz telemetry system as sold by Hobbyking

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10343__Quanum_2_4Ghz_Telemetry_System_Volt_Amp_Temp_mAh_V3_0.html

This seems much more suited to my needs as it gives realtime battery condition on a small LCD screen which attaches to the Tx. It also includes an audible alarm.
They claim that the system can be safely used with a 2.4Ghz Tx as the modulation method is different.
The question is, has anyone got experience, good or bad, with this system and is it ok to use in conjunction with my FrSky radio?

Also, at a later stage I am thinking of adding a simple FPV system with the camera mounted next to my still camera to assist aiming shots ( separate person calling the shots from a darkened enclosure) Can I use a 900Mhz link like this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16459__900MHZ_200mW_Tx_Rx_1_3_inch_CCD_Camera_PAL_520TVL.html
I am not in the UK so the UK regs do not apply here in Africa.

Oh, and the last thing, how on earth do you find the space to hang all this stuff inside the hub of a multicopter?  :blink

Thanks in advance
Barry

sendtohim

hi fella im currently run a quanum system i only run the battery voltage telemetry and i couldn';t be without it, it measures each cell and gives the read out on screen that iv attached to my controller or you can have it in your pocket and iv set it to beep once at 3.8v per cell then it beeps constant at 3.7v so after the first beep its time to fly home and think about landing. for the money its a bargain for what you get and it saves your lipos from getting too low and allows you to fly home in time before you start loosing power. so thumbs up from me  ~~
dji f550, still running standerd running gear, with auora 9 controller, 2 x 6000mah nano-tech, 1 x 8400mah nano-tech, 1 x 5000mah turnigy, carbon gimbal with Aeroxcraft landing gear, gopro 3 black edition camera, and to top it off LED's all round for night flying (has to be done)

Flyinegypt

Excellent, thanks for that feedback. I will add that to my purchase list for the UK visit.
Do I assume correctly you are using it alongside a 2.4Ghz  control TX?

sendtohim

you can run 50 cars at a track all on 2.4ghz and there wont be any interference so it will be fine to run along side your controller have a look

dji f550, still running standerd running gear, with auora 9 controller, 2 x 6000mah nano-tech, 1 x 8400mah nano-tech, 1 x 5000mah turnigy, carbon gimbal with Aeroxcraft landing gear, gopro 3 black edition camera, and to top it off LED's all round for night flying (has to be done)

robbain

This is very interesting indeed and looks to be what I need.  I';m running a DJI F450 with a Futaba T8J.  I';d really like real-time feedback on battery status (as others have said) and was contemplating moving to the DX7 (with TM1000).  But this would let me stick with the Futaba (which I like).  Battery status is absolutely critical to me to bring the drone home in time.

Any comments anyone?

Many thanks,

Rob

**** Apols - that should have said "...contemplating moving to the DX8..."

Jumpy07

I run FrSky Telemetry , runs at 60mw..  if you use telemetry the range is not as good as one way.
I also use the DHT-U which in conjunction with a telemetry RX can be used for telemetry.

The RX I use is the D8R-XP which can also be used with a telemetry hub to provide more information.

There is also ways of interfacing MegaPirateNG and Arducopter to the FrSky Telemetry kit.

http://www.t9hobbysport.com/item.asp?CatID=115&SubCatID=234&ProdID=825
http://www.t9hobbysport.com/default.asp?CatID=115&SubCatID=235
http://www.t9hobbysport.com/default.asp?CatID=115&SubCatID=239

BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"