+-

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Shoutbox

atomiclama: I would not want to create any work for you Gaza or loose any posts, but don't like to look of this theme soz.

Bad Raven: My vote - leave as now!  ;)

Gaza07: This is currently the only theme would people prefer to go back will loose a few days posts ?

atomiclama: Any other themes coming back?

atomiclama: I've just managed to login. first time for awhile

hoverfly: Login gone buns up again.. ::) An error has occurred..

Bajadre: Site looks great Gaza  8) top job brother !!

Bajadre: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-47322226 What a nob

View Shout History

Stats ezBlock

Members
Total Members: 8025
Latest: madoleo
New This Month: 8
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 194834
Total Topics: 19630
Most Online Today: 25
Most Online Ever: 530
(June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Theme Select ezBlock

Search ezBlock

Advanced Search

Cheap USB wireless rx for sims - SBus, iBus - just FTDI + RX.

Started by ched999uk, January 19, 2019, 00:06:26

Previous topic - Next topic

ched999uk

I tried using an F4 FC and cli command to turn the FC with a rx into a wireless usb dongle for playing simulators. The problem is my old FC gets too hot to touch. So I looked at cheap alternatives.

Well found out that with a couple of bits of freeware and a FTDI adapter and an rx it takes a few mins to create a usb wireless rx dongle.

Basically connect rx (Flysky i6B) to FTDI (0v, 5v and rx). It works with iBus or SBus.
Then download and install VJoy (interesting name!)  http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/index.php/download-a-install/download
Then download and run the VJoy plugin https://github.com/Cleric-K/vJoySerialFeeder/releases
Plug in your FTDI and if you have already installed the drivers you should be able to select the com port on the VJoyPlugIn. Select iBus, SBus etc. At the bottom it should show number of channels and update freq.  Then add channel for your 4 channels (increase ch number and select x,y,z, etc). Save settings for next time.
Leave the Plugin running.

Open your simulator and select VJoy as the interface and calibrate as required.

Works great with Velocidrone.

The above infor came from here and a bit of guess work to get FTDI to work.

Reman

A year or so back I bought a little USB dongle called an "iRangeX FPV Wireless Simulator". It pretty much does exactly what you're doing. I think it was on sale for something like £6 at the time so  I thought it would be worth a punt. I just connected some crappy micro RX to it that didn't have enough range for me to chance it staying in a quad, Then set my TX to output PPM. I'm not even sure if windows needed drivers for it. I think it just installed as a two stick four button joystick. For neatness I stuck the RX and dongle one on top of the other with a little foam double sided tape and clear heat shrank it into quite a tidy little package.

I used this for a while, But then I started using my FS-i10 (And now a Turnigy Evolution) directly connected Via micro USB. This was because doing it this way would charge the TX's battery while I played rather than run it flat.

The wireless dongle worked flawlessly though, And if I used a PC connected to a TV for simulators I could quite easily believe I'd still use the dongle rather than having a cable running across the livingroom floor invitingly waiting for someone to accidentally catch and yank the TX out of my hands.
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

ched999uk

Quote from: Reman on January 22, 2019, 22:24:12
A year or so back I bought a little USB dongle called an "iRangeX FPV Wireless Simulator". It pretty much does exactly what you're doing. I think it was on sale for something like £6 at the time so  I thought it would be worth a punt. I just connected some crappy micro RX to it that didn't have enough range for me to chance it staying in a quad, Then set my TX to output PPM. I'm not even sure if windows needed drivers for it. I think it just installed as a two stick four button joystick. For neatness I stuck the RX and dongle one on top of the other with a little foam double sided tape and clear heat shrank it into quite a tidy little package.

I used this for a while, But then I started using my FS-i10 (And now a Turnigy Evolution) directly connected Via micro USB. This was because doing it this way would charge the TX's battery while I played rather than run it flat.

The wireless dongle worked flawlessly though, And if I used a PC connected to a TV for simulators I could quite easily believe I'd still use the dongle rather than having a cable running across the livingroom floor invitingly waiting for someone to accidentally catch and yank the TX out of my hands.

The iRange thing was a bargain. Only ones I could find were abut £20! With the method above I managed to just use my parts bin for the FTDI and my original iA6B rx plus an elastic band to hold them together, didn't use tape as I might need FTDI  ::)
One of the reasons for not using a cable is the dog jumps on my lap when ever I sit down so she has landed on the cable a few times.

How are you getting on with the Turnigy Evolution? I have an i6 but I think the gimbal pots are wearing out as it's over 3 years old and over the last 3 months I have been using Velocidrone for an hr a night. I am so slow at learning!!  ::)
So I was looking at a new small tx and thinking of the Junper T12+ but then someone suggested the Turnigy Evolution. So any thoughts on it as it's only about £26 with an rx!!!

Reman

It's a pretty nice RX as long as you flying LOS or use goggles. I use screens for FPV and my stuck on mount quite seriously upsets the controllers balance in the hand.

It only does AFHDS 2A (ie, It's not backwards compatible with the original AFHDS protocol). Not really a problem unless you have things like older tiny whoop's with early AIO FC's in your collection though.

The gimbals are REALLY nice compared to the I6, The resolution is much higher and the centering is more accurate. Out in the field most learners or intermediate pilots wouldn't notice due to breezes and inaccuracies in the FC'S calibration, But on a simulater it's an obvious difference.

it's purely a quad TX. It misses a lot of stuff that's almost essential when flying fixed wing (like physical trim controls and any kind of TX expo).

It will still work while charging, So for long days of flying you can plug a power bank into it and keep going. Although, I've never needed to do this because the onboard batteries last longer than I've ever had flying time in one day.

It only has 5 model memory slots, But it's also got a strange quirk that nulls the need for more than 1. If you bind a model to it then It'll connect to that model if it's on and in range, Regardless of whether or not you have the TX set to that model's profile. It also seems to remember pretty much every RX you've ever bound to it. This means you can make a single profile with all the switches set up to whatever you want (Like Arm on Aux 1,Flight modes on 2, buzzer on 3 etc), Then configure all your quads to use these aux channels in Betaflight. Once you've bound the model with the TX it'll add that data to the profile rather than replacing the previous bind data. Yes, It's a fault in the system, but one that I doubt they'll fix because it's actually pretty useful.

So if these limitations don't faze you it's well worth getting one, And at the current 30ish quid to your door it's a bloody steal !!!
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

ched999uk