Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,April 27, 2024, 04:59:51

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 21
Total: 21

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

FPV & the Law

Started by Jumpy07, Tuesday,February 12, 2013, 09:46:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyntrblue

I saw a lot of conflicting information on the web so I contacted ofcom who sent me a link to that page....

turok007

if you really want to enjoy FPV move to another country.  as in the UK we are very limited   25mw transmitter  and have to use a spotter.  so unless your spotter has super vision  you are very limited.   

powerlord

Or smarter.

In ham radio,  they created repeater networks.

There';s no reason why local Fpv clubs couldn';t do the same within the law.  By contracting a local repeater grid,  (and multiple spotters)  Fpv flights could be conducted legally over many miles in the UK.

Dunno why someone';s not done it tbh.  Not particularly difficult or expensive.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

[url="http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69"]http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69[/url]

DebianDave

Quote from: powerlord on Thursday,October 23, 2014, 09:59:28
There';s no reason why local Fpv clubs couldn';t do the same within the law. 

I need a local FPV club, none of the plank fettlers near me are interested. Resorted to trying to build a multirotor specific FB group (see signature). Plan is to get properly organised in time for nicer flying weather.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-London-Multirotor-Pilots/835897706429581"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-London-Multirotor-Pilots/835897706429581[/url]

Live in and around North London? Please like, share and participate on this page

TonyUK

Well, after building and rebuilding my 450 quad and generally learning to actually keep the thing in the air, I thought to try FPV. I';ve installed a basic (a.k.a. cheap) kit and it works very well. This morning, looking for somewhere better to practice with plenty of empty space, I fell across this link;

http://grundlefly.com/2013/05/07/uk-fpv-laws-for-small-uavs-a-quick-rundown-of-the-rules/

It might be worth listening to and following the info he gives. Turns out that in my locale, not only is FPV against the rules, but it';s also pretty much out of my "travel to for a quick fly distance before I get called back home range altogether"!

I do know about being sensible and all that, just I';d rather stay close to legal while doing so.

powerlord

He makes it sound far more convoluted than it is.

Go to the  notam website,  add the addition of show all airspace.  That';s it,  job done.

Each notam or airspace restriction has a popup you can close contact on telling you full details. 

No need to call CAA,  no need to lookup airspace maps (though for the sake of 12 quid I would suggest every fpver buys one). 

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

[url="http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69"]http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69[/url]

james

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=6746 is the most recent version of the exemptions - the link in the first post is broken, as that version has been removed and replaced (May 2015).

quadfather

Quote from: powerlord on Thursday,October 23, 2014, 09:59:28
There';s no reason why local Fpv clubs couldn';t do the same within the law.  By contracting a local repeater grid,  (and multiple spotters)  Fpv flights could be conducted legally over many miles in the UK.

It can';t be done legally because the aircraft has to stay within view of the spotter, who has to "stay directly adjacent" to the pilot.  Technically an interesting idea though.
-rw-rw-rw-  –  The Number of the Beast

Oakley

Permission can be granted or ELOS of extended line of sight.
UAS Pilot at SKYLINK with PFAW

powerlord

There';s also nothing in rules to say operator has to stay static I don';t think?

So for example,  you could fly it as a passenger in a car for many many miles and always remain in Los?

james

Quote from: powerlord on Sunday,June 28, 2015, 12:54:33
There';s also nothing in rules to say operator has to stay static I don';t think?

So for example,  you could fly it as a passenger in a car for many many miles and always remain in Los?
That';s probably acceptable if you';ve got total control over the track the car is driving down, though I';d argue that as a pilot you really, really don';t want to be thinking about how your frame of reference is moving while also trying to keep track of how the vehicle is moving. But it';d be better to go through the CAA approval process and get permission for extended visual line of sight operations where you can use a remote spotter, imho.

rob12770

Quote from: flybywire on Monday,September 08, 2014, 14:39:58
You need a ';flight plan';?  WTF?
I Always have a flight plan... To get it home in one piece  :laugh:
DJI F450
Tarot 250
MCPX
T-rex 450
sports Cub Plane

rob12770

Ok this is more a general Multirotor comment rather than FPV specific..

I think Maybe if you had insurance then Maybe you should. could be allowed to fly almost anywhere.. wait.. :cool:.. hear me out..you can drive a car with insurance and a licence etc, and thats FAR more dangerous than any multirotor right ?

I even would be happy with a form of licensing for the hobby.. I am an Amateur radio operator and it has 3 classes of licence in the UK.. foundation, intermediate and Advanced,, you work your way up over time and exams.. its actually pretty great cos not Any numpty can simply go on.. no call sign, no one will talk to you.. sounds mean, but it';s fair..

something similar could be done with multirotors involving  small exams, and power levels etc..
TBH i would have Hated the Idea before i became involved with Amateur radio,, but it works..
you would end up with responsible pilots who knew what they were doing and you also get a local club..
Justsayinisall..  :smiley:
DJI F450
Tarot 250
MCPX
T-rex 450
sports Cub Plane

insx

So is video transmission over 25 mW (and therefore most FPV flight) just plain illegal?

kilby

Quote from: insx on Wednesday,August 24, 2016, 08:46:35
So is video transmission over 25 mW (and therefore most FPV flight) just plain illegal?

Yes
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

insx

This is weird, I was sure that I replied to a post that was new today  :confused:

Cheredanine

To be specific, yes on the 5.8g band

Ern Stock

Does this need updating ?

To start us off ;
400ft maximum height ?

ched

It is well out of date but the regs are a bit up in the air at moment.
i.e. the regs that are supposed to come in in July, the EU ones have been delayed till Oct/Nov I think.
Then we go to the current rules about registration on over 250gms. It depends on if you are a member of certain clubs (BFMA, FPVUK etc) it you are exempt from registering till June(when new EU regs were supposed to come in). Not sure if the exemption is being extended or not!!!

So while we could mention each and every rule it might be even more complex depending on membership, months and if any extensions are made!

So basically under 400ft, 5km away from end of runways, outside of 2.5nm radius from airfield, stay 50m away from people - 150m from groups of 1000 people or more and congested zones. Fly only within visual LOS or have spotter that can see aircraft at all times. If over 250gms and no exemptions you need to pass exam, register, pay licence fee and have id on aircraft.

Just wait till the EU rules kick in as they are so complex it's untrue.
I try :-)

Ern Stock

~~
Thanks

Seems similar to usual , poss the 400' is newish ?

Have bmfa membership & caa id on craft , and , now I think about it I did successfully pass an online exam.

Hmmm new eu rules : complex seems to lead to loopholes ...

Thanks again for the update

ched

Quote from: Ern Stock on Sunday,May 31, 2020, 15:46:43 ~~
Thanks

Seems similar to usual , poss the 400' is newish ?

Have bmfa membership & caa id on craft , and , now I think about it I did successfully pass an online exam.

Hmmm new eu rules : complex seems to lead to loopholes ...

Thanks again for the update
I have a feeling the 400ft has been standard for 5 years to my knowledge. I think there was some form of exemption for bmfa I think. Just checked and it was 2018 the 400ft came in!!! Oops.
To quote BMFA: 'Exemption' from the CAA which permits their members operating 'conventionally piloted' model aircraft (not including multi-rotors) of less than 3.5Kg to fly up to 1000ft when flown using First Person View with a 'competent observer'

The EU stuff doesn't just use aircraft weight as classes but also speed! The sub250gms exemption will not exist if the aircraft has a camera. Then there are classification for areas where you fly. Model aircrafts will be sold with a class. There is also a requirement to have some sort of geo fence limits built in. Then there is a 80 Joules limit in certain classes. It's all a mess and so complicated no one will abide by it.
If you build your own it will be in highest risk category of C4!!! So no flying in or over a place where a member of the public has access!!!!
I try :-)