Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Tuesday,December 10, 2019, 01:38:30

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
02 Dec 2019 20:03:50
Only if the battery is fully charged, leak a few volts and it'll be fine.......
Andy7:
02 Dec 2019 17:19:55
If yo fly a Mavic Mini and get over a gramme of mud on it, do you have to register it?  :rofl:
hoverfly:
02 Dec 2019 08:38:56
Not a problem i've had a body mod, I think of Jean Harlow naked on a trampoline  and the new antenna  extends automatically..   :whistling:
Andy7:
29 Nov 2019 17:17:37
That'll play hell with your FPV signal. :rofl:
hoverfly:
29 Nov 2019 17:10:20
Won't get me i'm wearing my tin foil hat... :wack0
Andy7:
29 Nov 2019 14:19:03
Because GOVERNMENT SPY DRONES are watching us! :frantic:
hoverfly:
29 Nov 2019 11:41:22
BBC News this am ..only 50% of people have registered  for the  CAA  scheme.. If people haven't registered  how do they know it's 50%.. :shrug:
ched:
28 Nov 2019 20:16:14
Very very quiet. I am missing chatting :-( Must be the weather....
Gaza07:
25 Nov 2019 08:28:26
Forums very quiet  :shrug:
ched:
18 Oct 2019 11:25:16
Sounds good yama. Would love to see some images. 3d models sound cool too
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 197214
  • Total Topics: 19886
  • Online Today: 56
  • Online Ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 38
Total: 38

Theme Changer

thumbnail

3d - Printworx

Printing 3d Forum

FPV & the Law

Started by Jumpy07, Tuesday,February 12, 2013, 09:46:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyntrblue

I saw a lot of conflicting information on the web so I contacted ofcom who sent me a link to that page....

turok007

if you really want to enjoy FPV move to another country.  as in the UK we are very limited   25mw transmitter  and have to use a spotter.  so unless your spotter has super vision  you are very limited.   

powerlord

Or smarter.

In ham radio,  they created repeater networks.

There';s no reason why local Fpv clubs couldn';t do the same within the law.  By contracting a local repeater grid,  (and multiple spotters)  Fpv flights could be conducted legally over many miles in the UK.

Dunno why someone';s not done it tbh.  Not particularly difficult or expensive.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

DebianDave

Quote from: powerlord on Thursday,October 23, 2014, 09:59:28
There';s no reason why local Fpv clubs couldn';t do the same within the law. 

I need a local FPV club, none of the plank fettlers near me are interested. Resorted to trying to build a multirotor specific FB group (see signature). Plan is to get properly organised in time for nicer flying weather.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-London-Multirotor-Pilots/835897706429581

Live in and around North London? Please like, share and participate on this page

TonyUK

Well, after building and rebuilding my 450 quad and generally learning to actually keep the thing in the air, I thought to try FPV. I';ve installed a basic (a.k.a. cheap) kit and it works very well. This morning, looking for somewhere better to practice with plenty of empty space, I fell across this link;

http://grundlefly.com/2013/05/07/uk-fpv-laws-for-small-uavs-a-quick-rundown-of-the-rules/

It might be worth listening to and following the info he gives. Turns out that in my locale, not only is FPV against the rules, but it';s also pretty much out of my "travel to for a quick fly distance before I get called back home range altogether"!

I do know about being sensible and all that, just I';d rather stay close to legal while doing so.

powerlord

He makes it sound far more convoluted than it is.

Go to the  notam website,  add the addition of show all airspace.  That';s it,  job done.

Each notam or airspace restriction has a popup you can close contact on telling you full details. 

No need to call CAA,  no need to lookup airspace maps (though for the sake of 12 quid I would suggest every fpver buys one). 

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

james

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=6746 is the most recent version of the exemptions - the link in the first post is broken, as that version has been removed and replaced (May 2015).

quadfather

Quote from: powerlord on Thursday,October 23, 2014, 09:59:28
There';s no reason why local Fpv clubs couldn';t do the same within the law.  By contracting a local repeater grid,  (and multiple spotters)  Fpv flights could be conducted legally over many miles in the UK.

It can';t be done legally because the aircraft has to stay within view of the spotter, who has to "stay directly adjacent" to the pilot.  Technically an interesting idea though.
-rw-rw-rw-  -  The Number of the Beast

Oakley

Permission can be granted or ELOS of extended line of sight.
UAS Pilot at SKYLINK with PFAW

powerlord

There';s also nothing in rules to say operator has to stay static I don';t think?

So for example,  you could fly it as a passenger in a car for many many miles and always remain in Los?

james

Quote from: powerlord on Sunday,June 28, 2015, 12:54:33
There';s also nothing in rules to say operator has to stay static I don';t think?

So for example,  you could fly it as a passenger in a car for many many miles and always remain in Los?

That';s probably acceptable if you';ve got total control over the track the car is driving down, though I';d argue that as a pilot you really, really don';t want to be thinking about how your frame of reference is moving while also trying to keep track of how the vehicle is moving. But it';d be better to go through the CAA approval process and get permission for extended visual line of sight operations where you can use a remote spotter, imho.

rob12770

Quote from: flybywire on Monday,September 08, 2014, 14:39:58
You need a ';flight plan';?  WTF?

I Always have a flight plan... To get it home in one piece  :laugh:
DJI F450
Tarot 250
MCPX
T-rex 450
sports Cub Plane

rob12770

Saturday,September 19, 2015, 19:54:10 #42 Last Edit: Sunday,September 20, 2015, 09:33:27 by rob12770
Ok this is more a general Multirotor comment rather than FPV specific..

I think Maybe if you had insurance then Maybe you should. could be allowed to fly almost anywhere.. wait.. :cool:.. hear me out..you can drive a car with insurance and a licence etc, and thats FAR more dangerous than any multirotor right ?

I even would be happy with a form of licensing for the hobby.. I am an Amateur radio operator and it has 3 classes of licence in the UK.. foundation, intermediate and Advanced,, you work your way up over time and exams.. its actually pretty great cos not Any numpty can simply go on.. no call sign, no one will talk to you.. sounds mean, but it';s fair..

something similar could be done with multirotors involving  small exams, and power levels etc..
TBH i would have Hated the Idea before i became involved with Amateur radio,, but it works..
you would end up with responsible pilots who knew what they were doing and you also get a local club..
Justsayinisall..  :smiley:
DJI F450
Tarot 250
MCPX
T-rex 450
sports Cub Plane

insx

So is video transmission over 25 mW (and therefore most FPV flight) just plain illegal?

kilby

Quote from: insx on Wednesday,August 24, 2016, 08:46:35
So is video transmission over 25 mW (and therefore most FPV flight) just plain illegal?

Yes
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

insx

This is weird, I was sure that I replied to a post that was new today  :confused:

Cheredanine

To be specific, yes on the 5.8g band