Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 19, 2024, 15:26:03

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

how to find a mini quad

Started by Digit, Thursday,April 16, 2015, 14:33:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Digit

Having had a flyaway of my mini quad yesterday over a large field I am wondering whether there are any tips you have for finding it. I have already tried looking for it (from the ground and the air) and had no luck. Bearing in mind the plants in this field are about 4-5 feet high, should I just accept its gone never to be seen again or is there anything I can do to try and find it. (aside from posters as I think that may cause it to get nicked)
thanks

ChavasRegal

Hi, sorry for your loss.
Unfortunately its difficult to suggest anything that would work after the fact, most of us would have a lost model alarm wired up to an aux channel and a buzzer that we can activate In case of a loss, or some are now using trackers that work on Bluetooth and can sound an alarm using your phone.

The only option in your case is to keep looking.

Digit

I did have a lost model alarm on it I just couldn';t hear it, I think the battery disconnected

Friskle

Lost model Alarms are hit and miss, as a lot of crashes just the throw the battery off, we have a similar issue of the "long stuff" around our flying field, anything like a small 250 would be gone forever, damn even a plane with a 60" wingspan disappeared for three days lol.

Have you gone looking with TX in hand and flicking the throttle every now and again and listening ( you probably have ) but thought i would mention it, other than that its sadly just a case of keep looking and keep the fingers crossed.

The only tip i have in your case, is do what we did for a plane, walk in straight lines then back a couple of feet away and so on.
Yuneec Q500+
Yuneec Typhoon H
Nano QX2
Nano QX3D
Blade 180QX
Blade 200QX
DJI 450 frame + Naza M V2 = GPS
ZMR 250
250 Pro - Dys 2300kv motors , Naze32 Acro
300 Folding Frame sporting a Naza Lite + GPS

Jazzz

You will probably already no this but Thay are quit often a lot closer than you think sometimes 50% in my case

Jake Bullit

If you had a radio like a Taranis with RSSI telemetry,providing the battery was still connected you could have used the signal meter to direction find it.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

tupoar

I have had this issue a few times and I find working my way up and down is the best way.  You pick you search area and walk up and down, as if you';re a policeman searching for evident. The longest it';s taken me is 10 minutes. Good luck...
A new way of buying and selling RC Gear.

[url="//www.rcmungo.com"]www.rcmungo.com[/url]

Craft: RE Decker 180, RE X1, HK Thorax, Hubsan X4, Q4
FC: Naze32, Flip32, Sparky, CC3D, SP Racing F3
VRX: RCD T-Box - 40 Channel Diversity

AlanN

I wonder how successful swinging a metal detector side to side as you walked would be.. it should be a pretty easy target for it to find

fruitsalad

i normally go searching for downed planes at night when its quiet.
i turn my tx on n off listening for the beeps,works most times..
dont grow up,just buy bigger toys!!!!

xxpitt

remove the antenna from your goggles to make them less effective, then go for a walk till you pick the picture up. You can then use your body to block the signal further to get you a bit closer. This way could get you within 20m. obviously you will have to do this right away while lipo still has life in it, and also it won';t help if lipo was ejected on impact. Another tip is to pulse the motors when you get close to hear it, you will need to not disarm the quad though as if the quad didn';t land upright the naze won';t re-arm as it has a safety feature preventing it from doing so a few degrees past level

Digit

Thanks for your replies I looked for another 2 hours today however no luck
attached are some pictures of the field

jamesb72

I spent almost an hour looking for a foam stryker f27 in a field like that, I couldnt actually see it until I nearly trod on it having heard esc beeps crom a few ft away, given that is about 10 times as easy to spot than a quad its probably unfindable.

We';ve located another rc plane in a fieldof long grass using a phantom with downward facing gopro, pilot flew los along the path plane was last seen on while we monitored down link with fatshark goggles and spotted it easily, but again this was a decent sized rc plane so much  bigger target to spot.

I use loc8tor now which is not expensive and works amazingly with range up to 200ft  but doesnt help much with this one.

Its always worth leaving your details with farmer in case its spotted  but may not be worth having once it';s been mulched anyway :(

Friskle

Quote from: Digit on Friday,April 17, 2015, 15:37:13

where abouts are you located ?
Yuneec Q500+
Yuneec Typhoon H
Nano QX2
Nano QX3D
Blade 180QX
Blade 200QX
DJI 450 frame + Naza M V2 = GPS
ZMR 250
250 Pro - Dys 2300kv motors , Naze32 Acro
300 Folding Frame sporting a Naza Lite + GPS

Digit

I';m in a town near Canterbury in Kent

chester_lad

I lost a spider quadcopter last year I flew it towards a land fill site and I could just about see it then all of a sudden a flog of birds flew up they all looked like my quad .

Spent 2 nights looking for it with a mates quadcopter with fpv but no look

bazzerh

Can see the need for a battery back up lost model alarm now. Must be possible
Round By Round Qualifying and Finals For All.

it just makes sense

quadfather

Quote from: Digit on Friday,April 17, 2015, 15:37:13

Based on your screenshot where were you standing when you flew it?  Were you flying FPV or LOS?   Can you narrow down where you think it went down, e.g. last point of reference, heading, speed, etc?  When did you lose it, i.e. day and time?

I could pop around (from Medway) and give you a hand later today or tomorrow.  The only working car in this house has just gone out for the day.
-rw-rw-rw-  –  The Number of the Beast

Digit

I think another person would help a lot if it';s not too much trouble, especially if you can bring another FPV model
attached is a picture with where I was stood and the area I think it when down in, unfortunately I wasn';t recording on the DVR as I was flying it FPV, the last thing I seemed to see was a telegraph pole holding up power lines

fruitsalad

quadfather

-rw-rw-rw-  –  The Number of the Beast

fruitsalad

could make it tomozz with another for a search around nearby areas..

Digit

sounds like a plan I can give you the GPS co ords if you like

Dougelove

Quote from: quadfather on Saturday,April 18, 2015, 17:37:14
It';s Abbey Fields in Faversham.

Is it ironic that mine was also lost in Abbey Fields? Not faversham tho.
HAND OF GOD??
Everyone has the right to be stupid, some abuse that privilege.
One mans junk is another man's treasure.

Digit

After another search day with help from quadfather (massive thanks to him for coming) we were unable to locate the quad, or the gopro that got lost.
On the bright side a space in my hangar has been opened and it shall most likely be filled with one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261826524555?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%257CR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D261826524555%26_rdc%3D1

Luckily the 5 inch props that one uses are cheaper than the 6 inch ones I';ve been using

Nige8021

Chami82923

Funny that, I';ve just ordered one of them nut whotsits, it claims to have a 50m range, I';ll attach it to the dog and report how well it works, potentially useful for finding stuff in long grass.

I';ve been lucky so far with lost quads, 100% recovery rate! hopefully with the nut it will continue!

Callum
LF 330 with naza & GPS,
Hubsan X4 & Q4
Mini H-quad with naza m lite.
F550 with naza m lite
Diatone Silverline racing 250 (cc3d)

Panther

forest

sorry to here you lost one its a club many of use are in lol
i like the new frame the canopy most of all a great idea for the days when the grass is wet
In the hanger: Husban X4, Syma X3, 
DIY wooden H quad 450
Emax night hawk 250 low rider, 4s
Qav 250 4s
Fat bee 180 4s

Digit

Just had a thought, there isn';t anyone nearby who has a metal detector is there?

Digit

update,
the field has been cut so I shall be searching from the ground and the air now for any remnants of it