Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 21:38:27

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Shielding the Core on a TBS disco? anyone done it, does it make much difference?

Started by maddog7, Friday,January 25, 2013, 13:48:57

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog7

Subject says it all?
I draw the line at paying TBS ten quid for a piece of laser etched tin, I was thinking of backing some thin ish card with alu foil and making a box from it and bluetacking it around the core, ensuring it was grounded. If it was soldered on as per the TBS instructions, you';d have a hell of a job getting it off again if you needed to change anything.

Has anyone tried shielding their core and if so does it make much difference?
Cheers D

mickyt

It';s only really needed if you going to use ezuhf if your not then don';t bother if your just using 2.4 tranny and 5.8 vtx,the guys that use the shield are using ezuhf and 2.4 vtx and need to shield  the core from rf interference.
If someone throw's a stone at you throw a flower at them just remember to throw the pot with it.

maddog7

Micky,
Thanks for the heads up fella.

At the minute I';m gonna do exactly as you';d said, 2.4 rx with 5.8 vtx however I am using the 433mhz 3dr telemetry and do ultimately plan on using the 459mhz Uhf rc.

Even with the 3dr unplugged I';m getting diagonal lines in the goggles as it stands, need to track em down.

I suppose if I did make it "blue peter" style, I could always remove it again if it caused problems.
Cheers
D

mickyt

You could try it with a dab of solder on each corner and see how you go, if you solder the whole thing you will need to heat the shield to get the solder hot enough to bend the shield inwards resulting in needing a new shield so try just the corners first. Make sure you vtx and cam cables are twisted this help to reject interference so I';m told.
If someone throw's a stone at you throw a flower at them just remember to throw the pot with it.

maddog7

Quote from: mickyt on Friday,January 25, 2013, 14:22:51
You could try it with a dab of solder on each corner and see how you go, if you solder the whole thing you will need to heat the shield to get the solder hot enough to bend the shield inwards resulting in needing a new shield so try just the corners first. Make sure you vtx and cam cables are twisted this help to reject interference so I';m told.

Actually that';s a good point, I forgot about that! I';ll give that a shot now!
This is a really good thread on using cat6 cable and shielding in general.
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?3641-The-Most-Amazing-Invention-Ever-For-FPV-%28CAT-6%29

Cheers Mickey.

D

mickyt

thanks for the link i actually sat and read that last night whilst trying to find out which osd to use with the tbs disco and it wont be team blacksheeps or the ezosd ive read that they have  nothing  problems with them and even a guy who had his tbs disco fall out the sky because of an ezosd. so ill wait a while to see what else comes up.

mickyt

not as far as i am aware mate but the core osd is so basic  just shows current volts and flight time. oh there was one comment on fpvlab about it showing incorrect voltage but then it sorted it self out

maddog7

Quote from: mickyt on Friday,January 25, 2013, 19:59:39
not as far as i am aware mate but the core osd is so basic  just shows current volts and flight time. oh there was one comment on fpvlab about it showing incorrect voltage but then it sorted it self out

Phew!
You had me worried for a bit then!
My setup has the core doing the basic stuff, the radio sorta doing RSSI at the minute and the 3dr doing telemetry which should be all I need for now. If I get lost my spotter should be able to use the GCS to tell me which way to fly or I might even get away using the RTL? (slim chance but better than no chance!)

Cheers again fella.
D

Jumpy07

Been thinking about this.. wouldn';t be difficult to stick a 3dr radio on the OSD GPS and run a basic ground station....  might have try

Craig
BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

mickyt

id like to set a ground station upbut its got to be the right gear thats compatible with each other just registered on fpvhub i noticed your there too craig lol

maddog7

Quote from: Jumpy07 on Friday,January 25, 2013, 21:40:02
Been thinking about this.. wouldn';t be difficult to stick a 3dr radio on the OSD GPS and run a basic ground station....  might have try

Craig

This was ne part of the APM equasion that simply worked flawlessly when I plugged it in!

maddog7

Quote from: mickyt on Friday,January 25, 2013, 22:01:35
id like to set a ground station upbut its got to be the right gear thats compatible with each other just registered on fpvhub i noticed your there too craig lol

Thats where the APM scores without being megabucks (once you get it dialled  :rolleyes:)

Just noticed your sig fella, what ride?

Jumpy07

I have two APM';s fully loaded.. they are great but take a lot of tuning .. and not without a few bugs..

Reason bought Naza is sometimes I just want to fly and have confidence..

My hanger is growing day by day.. this hobby can be adictive..
BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

maddog7

Jumpy,
I have to say, my APM/Disco was wobbling about like a sedated hippo ';till I swapped the plush ESC';s for Simonk f30a.
After that even the totally std settings allowed it to fly well. I messed a bit for stability and it seems pretty good now.
Can';t help feeling though that there';s even more to come!

Really looking forward to flying it somewhere other than my bedroom! If the snow/wind stops tomorrow I';m gonna maiden it propa!

Just gotta get rid of some of the daft stuff on the snag list!

An tell me about the hanger thing man! :rolleyes:

9 helis, 11 planks and 3 multis, titchy house and a tetchy wife!   :angry:
Cheers
D