Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 19:03:53

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

KK2 ... The return

Started by XH558, Monday,January 21, 2013, 20:05:47

Previous topic - Next topic

XH558

Just to try and pull together all the threads on my attempt to get a quad up in the air with some form of KK board ...

I tried the black KK board ... just couldn';t make it work.

I had the advice to try the KK2 with the inbuilt programming screen.

So I ordered one and I just couldn';t get it to do what it was supposed to.

So the first advice was to reflash it with the updated firmware ... so I battled my way through that and still not right.

Next advice was to try reflashing the cheapo Mystery Cloud 30 escs I have with the SimonK software.

This was a task all of its own but last week - with the HK esc flashing tool I finally achieved that.

So last night it got put back together again .....

The escs certainly respond much better .... BUT ....

With the ';X'; pointing forward and numbers 3 & 4 props being at the back this is what happens ....

1) the left 2 motors run really fast and the whole thing wants to flip right big time as a result.
2) escs 3 & 4 get uber hot very quickly under any load - 1 & 2 get very warm but not hot.
3) throttle works fine - and responds very well instantly.
4) there is no response from roll (aileron) input or pitch (elevator) input - yaw (rudder) makes some slight difference.

You can take it from me that the screens have been meticulously set up - the receiver tested - the escs calibrated ok

So yet again I';m pulling my hair out

I am in the happy position of having another unused KK2 board I got from a Buddy Link on here - not flashed - just factory settings.

Do I try that first with the reflashed escs?? 

Any other ideas ... I don';t really understand this KK stuff and it';s not exactly plug and play like NAZA is it  :hmm: :rolleyes:

David :)
[url="//www.mh434.com"]www.mh434.com[/url]
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

Balders

When you calibrated the esc';s did you do them one by one plugged into the Rx or using the buttons 1&4 method on the KK2?

You may also wish to change the setting which controls minimum throttle (can';t remember what it';s called off top of my head, think it';s in misc settings).

Can';t be anything too major.
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

teslahed

ESCs not individually calibrated would be the simplest explanation / fix.

http://youtu.be/DfTdCVwZYHQ
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Balders

Other thing it could be is, re-do the calibration and self level...make sure it';s level as possible when doing it.  Finaly, do a receiver test from the board. It should show zero or close for eveything (possibly bar auto level if you have aux connected.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

XH558

Guess what ???

I';ve only gone and done it
:wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0 :wack0

I put the spare new KK2 board - factory settings - on the quad - recalibrated the escs - checked it all out again ...... and then discovered a basic, stupid, moronic, idiotic and just plain elementary error ...
The motors were all spinning the right way but I had 2 props on wrong ... one motor was spinning CW with a CCW prop and one motor was spinning CCW with a CW prop   :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed 

So once that was put right I was able to hold the quad from underneath in the workshop whilst sitting in my chair and with the throttle at about 50% and for a few seconds I could quite safely actually let go of it and it stayed there. The escs get quite warm but none get over hot ... and they will be clipped directly to the aluminium frame so that will be a good heat sink.

Because of the confines of the space I didn';t do more than that and now it';s working it needs all the connections and cable runs tidying up and firming up before I can have a go outside ... the weather is a bit crap here though and there';s not much light so I';ll try and get a video as soon as I can - but it may take till the weekend and it';s weather dependent.

There';s nothing like this hobby for adrenaline fueled achievement as a reward for the hours of fettling     :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

eyeflying

Quote from: XH558 on Tuesday,January 22, 2013, 23:21:01
...... and then discovered a basic, stupid, moronic, idiotic and just plain elementary error ...
The motors were all spinning the right way but I had 2 props on wrong ... one motor was spinning CW with a CCW prop and one motor was spinning CCW with a CW prop   :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed 

We';ve all done it - and I still do  :wack0

Balders

yey!  Well done.

It';s amazing how many times in this hobby we get frustrated at all sorts of things and it turns out to be something silly :)

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

Biffa

Been there and done stupid things like that myself and then spent a considerable time kicking myself afterwards.

Good job on persisting and sorting it though, a lesser man would have given up ~~
Steve

teslahed

Next we want some video!

And i look forward to hearing if you feel much difference with the SimonK ESCs too.

Gaza07

Very well done as others have said we have all done it before  :rolleyes:  ~~
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

johnrs

been there done that with props when I first started a few months back
New to Quads but loving it

My YouTube Channel

Techie-Review

XH558

Quote from: teslahed on Wednesday,January 23, 2013, 12:48:42
Next we want some video!

And i look forward to hearing if you feel much difference with the SimonK ESCs too.

Well so far I CAN say they certainly respond quicker, and as demonstrated on various videos on the web if you move the throttle stick up and down very quickly the escs follow you immediately - there';s no time drag at all ...

XH558

Got it all neat and tidy and as it was calm and dry (although pitch dark) I had a go at a maiden under the house security light (that goes on and off by PIR)   :wack0

It took off beautifully ... but I will say it';s a twitchy little bugg devil   :blink

I had a few hairy moments whilst I got used to the controls... it';s not AT ALL like NAZA ... much more seat of the pants   ;)

I suppose there';s ways of calming down the controls but I';ll have to get to that .... I landed it and got my breath back and the second go was much better ... the auto leveler is good  ;)  It hovers very well ... very stable with very little drift.

It just needs tweaking now to make it less of a handful - but all in all I';m VERY pleased with it and glad I conquered KK    :beer2:

teslahed

You want to add expo and reduce the rates. I';m not sure the best way to do that with the KK2 board so I';ll let someone with more experience guide you on that.

Once you get the thing flashed to 1.5 i believe the autolevel works a lot better - so that in combination with reduced rates and a bit of expo should turn the quadcopter into a very stable easier to fly aircraft.

QuadBod

Quote from: teslahed on Wednesday,January 23, 2013, 22:40:44
Once you get the thing flashed to 1.5 i believe the autolevel works a lot better - so that in combination with reduced rates and a bit of expo should turn the quadcopter into a very stable easier to fly aircraft.

Spot on. It';s hard to get the KK not to fly - which is frustrating if you want to get it tuned to perfection, because it';s hard to tell good from bad; but it makes for a great first time experience. Damn thing flies itself!

Balders

have a play with the settings in P Gain on the various channels (you';ve probably find aileron and elevator are linked already, so change to one changes both).

There shouldn';t really be a need to use expo in the radio (depending on your style of flying I suppose).  I have always had mine linear, even on my Trex600, not everyone';s cup of tea, but I learn';t like that so it';s natural to me. 

I have a note here somewhere of what my settings were, although they are probably useless when talking about simonk flashed escs, as mine are non-flashed.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

XH558

Yes I agree about Expo - I';ve always though that counterproductive - one should learn to get control of the stick not have the stick do it for you - I';ll have a go at the P gain things using the various video tutorials out there on YT... I won';t know what I';m doing ... but hey ... what';s new ?? :whistling:

Balders

improvise, adapt, overcome ;)

We all learned from somewhere mate.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

XH558

Ah yes - the Round Table Motto .... "Adopt - Adapt - Improve"

Monty Python - Lingerie Robbery