Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 12:28:52

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 21
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18
Total: 18

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

HAL Quadcopter Crash

Started by Jumpy07, Wednesday,January 16, 2013, 13:42:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumpy07

Took the day off to do some flying and test my GoPro 3 Black...

Had my HAL quad with gimbal, and was flying very nicely.. doing some stills and videos... then all of a sudden lost control whilst trying to bring her back...  couldn';t get her to
climb and thought I was going to loose her in the Loch...    managed to ditch her onto a platform at the side of a building... narrowly missing the water..

Ran round in a panic and two people were already on scene.. (Park Rangers),, narrowly missed a dog.. thank god..   

So far the following is known to be broken..

Motor shaft sheared
Carbon prop
Landing gear
Dome
Gimbal plate damaged
Pitch Servo damaged
Its fixable.. but I am at a loss as to what happened..   first time have flown HAL with GoPro on.... wondering if the wifi on the gopro caused the issues.. def felt like a tx problem... at the time quad was probably only 30m away..
Luckily GoPro is ok.. case has a scuff..

Suppose it could have been worse.. but fairly dented my confidence..
Pics and vid to follow..

BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

Gaza07

Oh dear sorry to hear you crashed, but like you say the main thing is no one or any animals were hurt,
and of course the gopro, Its never very nice when a crash accours and you have no idea why as it will affect your confidense in the gear next time  :o
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

Balders

hopefully the footage from the crash (if it was in video mode at the time) may give you some indication.

Is the flight battery ok?  Did you have a lipo alarm on it or record the voltage post crash? Which flight controller were you using? 
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

Jumpy07

Was flying LOS at time..  hadn';t been flying long.. video doesent really give much idea..

FrSky RX and TX
APM 2.5
Video uploading at the mo.. but here is some stills which will explain why I was there :-)

Jumpy07

Jumpy07

Still not sure what happened.. been reviewing the videos..
Thought at first it was a TX issue.. but motors sound rough..  and something def happened a few secs into video..  I had a minor crash with this frame a few weeks ago.. but had flown is since.. wondering now if one of the motors was damaged..   after the accident one motors shaft was sheared.. but the motor bell was still attached..

Don';t think will ever know for sure...
Was VERY luck it never ended up in the water..

Oh.. also add 4500 3s nano tech to the bin.. its damaged as well...

Gav

Very lucky save there mate.  Sounds like one motor spins up, as if the prop was slipping / prop adaptor came undone or something.  Then the pirouetting, again as if one prop / motor is not doing its thing.  You could here some oscillation from the props just before it started to go wrong. You gotta get some graupner props to help reduce / eliminate that problem.    You';ll have to rebuild and go flying without the GoPro and just fly fly fly till you restore confidence.   I feel for you mate.  Good luck with it.

Jumpy07

I think it might have been a motor shaft...  one was sheared... the bell had risen up the windings.. but was still attached.. could have happened on impact.. hard to tell..

Oh well.. at least didnt lose it in the water... but will def make me think twice flying over water again..

Gav

Don';t forget to invest in 10 x 5 graupner elekro props.  I would not use anything else on a decent AV rig.  8mm bore so you';ll need some 8 to 6mm reducers to fit non dji motors.  or chop up some 8 mm cf rod.  Be amazed how smooth they run.

Jumpy07

Gav,

Been using Rctimer Carbon props which are pretty good.. they were on bolt on adapters..   quite happy with them .. have them on my other multis as well..

I dont like the cone type prop adapters or prop savers ..   on a heavy rig.. asking for trouble..

Gav

Yeah use the same adaptors no worries.  ok well I tried and I';m not even on commission lol. 

Jumpy07

No worries..  :laugh:    incidently.. where do u get ur Graupners from ?

Gav

quadcopters do em and build yer own drone  - choose the cheaper of the 2.  There are other folks selling em too.  But they';re often out of stock.

Jumpy07

The 10" prop allways seem out of stock...

RS

Quote from: Jumpy07 on Saturday,January 19, 2013, 15:38:56
The 10" prop allways seem out of stock...

Electricwingman   had in stock  just couple of days  ago but like  always they went out quickly .
You could make them notify you when stock is  available, so you dont  miss it

Jumpy07

Two new motors arrived very quickly from China today.. fitted, just waiting on new landing gear now..
All in damaged was @ £35 so I got off lightly... hopefully have HAL flying again soon..
Only one thing still worried about is the gimbal.. as GoPro took a knock..  metal geared servos and they feel okay..  but test and time will tell..