Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,May 11, 2024, 04:05:07

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Members
  • Total Members: 8,197
  • Latest: bluebat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,428
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 14
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

TBS Discovery with Fat Shark

Started by eyeflying, Sunday,January 20, 2013, 19:42:04

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeflying

I';ve just finished putting together a Team Black Sheep Discovery with Fat Shark FPV - I used the Naza';s settings as suggested on TBS';s website and it flew perfectly first time, although I didn';t venture too far due to the snow (didn';t want to loose it so soon!).

I';ll post some video as soon as I get a good flying day.

I fitted TBS';s Own Brand 750Kv Motors and their Own Brand 30A Opto ESC';s. Just waiting on some Graupner Props though - I';ve just fitted some temporary ones for now.

Rappy Freak

SkyNet shall rise!!!!!!

Smeagol

That looks really nice, look forward to seeing the video.

Gaza07

[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

Jumpy07

Can you fit the GoPro in the housing on these frames ?

Thanks

Craig
BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

eyeflying

Quote from: Jumpy07 on Sunday,January 20, 2013, 21:31:04
Can you fit the GoPro in the housing on these frames ?

The GoPro fits on the front as shown in the pics. There';s a cut-out notch (which you can see just behind he GoPro) where you attach a rubber band to hold the GoPro in place. Simple but very effective.

RS

Very nice!  One  of the  best looking copter  ever.
Probably this  is  going  to be  my  next build :)

eyeflying

I particularly like the integrated wiring - it goes much further than just power for the ESC';s. There';s a built-in 50A current sensor, there';s connectors for FPV camera inputs and TX outputs, The RX connections are also embedded and there';s also connectors for a backup battery - they seem to have really thought this through.

I also installed the TBS Core - this is a regulated power supply which also incorporates an OSD for Power and signal strength monitoring if you use the RSSI connectors

The Power Module is selectable and you can independently choose either 12v or 5V for the Camera and Tx - the supply is filtered and remains constant regardless of whether you choose a 3 or 4 cell Lipo

RS

Yes, thats why I like it a lot.
I wish  the OSD was a bit more informative .
Is there any chance to connect  GPS  to it?

maddog7

Spooky,
I';ve just been directed here from my fave UK rc Heli addicts forum and I find this!

I too am just putting the finishers on my Disco with the TBS core.

I thought it was expensive at first (I suppose it still is) but it';s extremely well thought out and I';m very pleased with it.

I';m using the GP1 with live out at the minute until I can get a decent FPV cam.

Also trying to get to grips with the Ardupilot Mega with GPS and telemetry, so far, so good.  :frantic:

Using the Fatshark attitude kit on 5.8 ghz.

maddog7

Quote from: RS on Sunday,January 20, 2013, 23:22:49
Yes, thats why I like it a lot.

I don';t think TBS intended GPS to be used with the Core but you could maybe use something like the eagletree logger and OSD/GPS and overlay it. Otherwise I think you';d perhaps need the advanced features of a FC to handle the number crunching?

eyeflying

Quote from: RS on Sunday,January 20, 2013, 23:22:49

TBS say that there are no plans to add GPS functionality to the Core. They want to keep it simple

RS

Quote from: eyeflying on Monday,January 21, 2013, 09:41:20
TBS say that there are no plans to add GPS functionality to the Core. They want to keep it simple
Yeah , I know that, but
I  wondered is  there still remains a possibility to do this  by someone ,who knows electronics.
I';ve got some  friends, who make their  own  esc';s , flight controllers  and  write their own code... maybe adding a  gps  would not be  a big problem :rolleyes:

maddog7

RS,
What would you need the gps to do?
Just show speed and direction? or do alt hold and RTL etc?
I think it would be simpler and a lot faster (than designing/building/writing code) to buy a APM?
:beer2: D

Jumpy07

I really like the TBS Discovery frame.. its well thought out for FPV and great quality..

The TBS Core is also a great idea, its an OSD, voltage regulator, filtering for video,  it interfaces with the current shunt....... and I think TBS';s attitude to the OSD  is to keep it simple.. all you need is Rssi, Voltage and Current. on your OSD as a min.

As most people use the Discovery frame with the Naza M, and the Naza doesent have an OSD output, so either you need to use the TBS Core a simple OSD our a standalone OSD with GPS. Downside of this is that you get no info from the Naza as its standalone..     to do this you would need to use a Wookong.

My head tells me that is a limitation compared to APM with MinimOSD etc, which passes all info the OSD info and data from the FC.. Armed / Unarmed / Flight modes all appear on the OSD.. but it can be a little overloaded depending on how you have configured it.

The Naza just does what its says on the tin, so maybe you don';t need the extra confidence of seeing what';s under the covers..... on the OSD.... if that makes sense.
You can configure the TBS core with another OSD by disabling  the onboard OSD.. think most use the standalone Cyclops Easy OSD for this purpose..

RS

Quote from: maddog7 on Monday,January 21, 2013, 11:59:50
RS,
What would you need the gps to do?
Just show speed and direction? or do alt hold and RTL etc?
I think it would be simpler and a lot faster (than designing/building/writing code) to buy a APM?
:beer2: D

Id love to have direction to home just in case you flying in the  area you dont know well.
Thats  all:)
And sure it would be  easier to get another OSD

maddog7

RS,
One of the reasons I went for the APM as the FC was the GPS and telemetry and associated features it offers, especially when combined with a laptop with video in.

I';m also concerned about getting lost and possibly losing vtx or RC connections. Whilst my understanding from reading about on the forums is that none of these features are even remotely (hehe geddit, remotely, ho well, nevermind) a certain get out of jail free card, it is possible one or more of them might just bring back what will be an expensive platform if it all goes wrong.

I think the the GPS sensor itself is about half the cost of any GPS system so by the time you sort out an OSD or APM your probably looking at about the same sort of money and the APM has a huge feature set. Only issue with the APM is the learning curve.
:smiley:
D

RS

Yea you';re right.
But Im just starting FPV, so still dont know which way it will take me:)
If I get hooked on FPV  I will definitely need something different than Naza.  Naza is  a great  FC for learning fpv, aerial filming,its very smooth and  stable, but I dont like how it behaves in fast or  acro flying. And  Im more in to acrobatics.
So I may need something like APM, or MultiWii  Pro ,   or something  very very simple like CC3D or  simplest mwc. I dont know yet which way its going to be:)

Jumpy07

Found this amazing Wiki on the TBS Discovery.. everything you ever need to know

http://beta.ivc.no/wiki/index.php/TBS_Discovery

maddog7

RS,
I feel your pain, it';s really difficult to know which way to go, we don';t really know where FPV will ultimately take us.

Jumpy07,
Thats a great resource, thank you.
D

mickyt

can i ask what your settings are in dji assistant as im putting a discovery together at the moment, currently my naza has setting that were used by my dji f550 hex as this hex has been stripped to build my discovery  ive no idea how it will handle with these current settings once i reconfigure as a quad.
If someone throw's a stone at you throw a flower at them just remember to throw the pot with it.

Jumpy07

Micky have a look at these... 

Still waiting on my TBS.. Quadcopters are a bit slow in responding to my emails.. should hopefully get mine ordered today at some point...

Flight controller settings
A few links to NAZA and CopterControl stabilization settings suitable for the TBS Discovery. List format: pitch/roll/raw/vertical and pitch/roll. For DJI NAZA, expect the gain to be between 100 and 160 after calibration.

mickyt

Hi Craig thanks for the info that gives me a couple of setting to play with based on my motors and esc';s ~~. Re Geoff sometime';s the emails end up in his spam folder i know mine have before now but he did apologize and since then he has always replied in the same day, and even over the weekends when ive had a problem he has replied which i think speaks volumes for his customer support.
If someone throw's a stone at you throw a flower at them just remember to throw the pot with it.

usnooz

Mines ready for its maiden after waiting 2 months for my motors :)
Phill

[url="http://www.facebook.com/#!/MySkyMedia"]http://www.facebook.com/#!/MySkyMedia[/url]

benchmark

Quote from: Jumpy07 on Thursday,January 24, 2013, 10:09:47
Micky have a look at these... 

Still waiting on my TBS.. Quadcopters are a bit slow in responding to my emails.. should hopefully get mine ordered today at some point...

Actually i found out the hard way that Quadcopter.co.uk are slow in everything, they answered only one of my mails, sent my items via normal post even though they charged me £35, one would think they would have used DHL or some other kind of express mail, it took 7 days for my items to get her after they posted it. With firstpersonview my orders are dispatched same day or next and 3 days to get to me.
Sorry for the rant but i was very unhappy after my last order from quadcopters.

Jumpy07

Well.. they offered me a deal in the end I couldn';t refuse...  so will give them benefit of the doubt...
So..

• TBS Discovery with Black and Red Arms
  • Tiger 900KV Motors
  • DJi 30amp Opto ESC';s
  • DJI Naza M & GPS
  • Cyclops OSD
The OSD is out of stock .. so will be end of next week I think before it arrives..

Gaza07

Look forward to seeing the test flight Phil  ~~

Quote from: usnooz on Thursday,January 24, 2013, 20:24:01
Mines ready for its maiden after waiting 2 months for my motors :)
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

eyeflying

I have just fitted some TBS 900Kv (Tiger) motors and Graupner 10" props to a Discovery and took it for its maiden flight today and I';ve got to say, I was really impressed. Naza controller and TBS 30A ESC';s. Very stable in the hover and very quick and decisive responses to stick movements. Totally recommend this setup .

Disappointed with video from my Gopro though - severe Jello - I spent a some time balancing the props before the flight and really took care in isolating the camera - but the quality was bad (hence no video to show you).

From what I';ve found out, even though the quad may be perfectly balanced, the motors still generate high frequency vibrations that directly affect the camera';s CMOS sensor due to and the way it scans the image and its virtually impossible to prevent with this type of setup.  This is particularly a problem when recording at 1080p with a standard frame rate of 25fps or 30fps. I';m told that filming at 720 with 50fps will greatly reduce the Jello - so I';m going to give a go and I';ll keep you posted. I';m determined to fix this though!

I';ll be honest, this is the first quad I';ve built where the camera is ';hard mounted'; to the frame - I normally use gimbals and isolation mounts so have never really experienced the Jello problem to such a degree as this.

maddog7

Quote from: eyeflying on Thursday,January 24, 2013, 23:36:13
I have just fitted some TBS 900Kv (Tiger) motors and Graupner 10" props to a Discovery and took it for its maiden flight today and I';ve got to say, I was really impressed. Naza controller and TBS 30A ESC';s. Very stable in the hover and very quick and decisive responses to stick movements. Totally recommend this setup .

Disappointed with video from my Gopro though - severe Jello - I spent a some time balancing the props before the flight and really took care in isolating the camera - but the quality was bad (hence no video to show you).

From what I';ve found out, even though the quad may be perfectly balanced, the motors still generate high frequency vibrations that directly affect the camera';s CMOS sensor due to and the way it scans the image and its virtually impossible to prevent with this type of setup.  This is particularly a problem when recording at 1080p with a standard frame rate of 25fps or 30fps. I';m told that filming at 720 with 50fps will greatly reduce the Jello - so I';m going to give a go and I';ll keep you posted. I';m determined to fix this though!

I';ll be honest, this is the first quad I';ve built where the camera is ';hard mounted'; to the frame - I normally use gimbals and isolation mounts so have never really experienced the Jello problem to such a degree as this.

eyeflying,
Have you tried the laser or seismometer app methods of balancing your motors?
Made a huge difference to mine.
D

eyeflying

Quote from: maddog7 on Friday,January 25, 2013, 11:09:52
eyeflying,
Have you tried the laser or seismometer app methods of balancing your motors?
Made a huge difference to mine.
D

Nope, I just use a standard magnetic spindled prop balancer - tell me more...