Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Sunday,August 18, 2019, 16:23:58

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
07 Aug 2019 19:52:01
ooooh mrs jones  :D
hoverfly:
30 Jul 2019 15:26:34
D.B. you tightwad.. :cool:
atomiclama:
29 Jul 2019 20:14:10
DB that just means you have shed loads of props in the first place ;-)
DarkButterfly:
29 Jul 2019 18:53:33
Just had a thought, even with all the crashing I've done, I haven't bought any replacement props in over a year ~~
ched:
09 Jul 2019 19:45:42
May the sun shine and winds be light for BFU#8. Son't forget lots of vids for those of us unable to attend.  :D
Gaza07:
09 Jul 2019 18:10:30
Hope you all have a great day  :beer2:
Andy7:
09 Jul 2019 14:05:28
BFU#8 details locked in for this saturday - see the head of the forum thread for all details.
hoverfly:
05 Jul 2019 21:51:05
Good for genital warts as well......or so I'm told.. :hmm
DarkButterfly:
05 Jul 2019 21:48:24
Just fixed a busted SMA connector on my TBS unity pigtail, it suffered badly in a recent crash and split in two, nothing a touch of the soldering iron couldn't fix  :D
DarkButterfly:
05 Jul 2019 19:44:08
 :D
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 196548
  • Total Topics: 19799
  • Online Today: 48
  • Online Ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 37
Total: 37

Theme Changer





3d - Printworx

Printing 3d Forum

building on a budget

Started by homersainty, Thursday,January 10, 2013, 19:15:11

Previous topic - Next topic

homersainty

Thursday,January 10, 2013, 19:15:11 Last Edit: Thursday,January 10, 2013, 20:38:56 by homersainty
hiya as I';m not working at the minute (still got a job just of with an injury ) well money is tight   on overtime just getting paid a flat 40 hours . Well i need something to do to stop me going mad so I';m building on the cheep
4 second hand SK flashed 20amp esc';s cost me £30  had them laying round a while
5 1100 kv motors brought from teslahead £15
kk2 fc £20
a sheet of carbon fiber £12
ally channel £5
and some nuts bolts odds and sods  i had laying around and spare 6100 Rx i had also
only thing i did not have is a bucket of lightness forgoton how weight seems to add up quickly  ::)
well frame was just a lil heavier than i would have liked but may be able to loose some weight there yet but its 194.5 grams at the moment


well add the esc';s power board and kk2 it';s now 318.5 grams but again may be able to loose a lil weight buy tidying up the wiring a lil


well tomorrow i need to run motors up and find the best 4 and balance them then a lil wiring and its time to play with the kk2 will update when i got a lil more to show
If you find yourself in danger of being taken seriously, then try to do something which undermines or sabotages that perception in some way.

feefo

Having just ordered my 1st quad kit (X525), someone posted in another forum that the model I';d picked had a lack of spares available. But you';ve just given me the sparky idea of using some carbon sheet, or even glass fibre sheet I already have should I need to repair it. Strange how the blindingly obvious isn';t always obvious, so thanks for making me think....

paulcobra

Could just drill a series of holes down each alloy arm, start one end and reduce size as you go for looks? Might reduce weight a litte.

Gaza07

Looking good Homer look forward to seeing the test flight  ~~

XH558

Quote from: feefo on Thursday,January 10, 2013, 20:21:01
Having just ordered my 1st quad kit (X525), someone posted in another forum that the model I';d picked had a lack of spares available. But you';ve just given me the sparky idea of using some carbon sheet, or even glass fibre sheet I already have should I need to repair it. Strange how the blindingly obvious isn';t always obvious, so thanks for making me think....


Ply';s even cheaper  :rolleyes: ;)

feefo

Quote from: XH558 on Thursday,January 10, 2013, 22:58:32
Ply';s even cheaper  :rolleyes: ;)


True but I';ve got some carbon sheet offcuts that I managed to blag from a place that specialise in making carbon ';things';. In fact a LHS owner got them to make some carbon parts for his heli, I guess they';d make other bits too, but I doubt they';d be the cheap option.

They have 2 online stores

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Default.aspx

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/

I use them for carbon rods or tube for my FW control rods etc.

teslahed

Thursday,January 10, 2013, 23:15:27 #6 Last Edit: Thursday,January 10, 2013, 23:43:20 by teslahed
I would definitely suggest flying it before you do anything too drastic to try and lose weight. Those motors with 8 or 9 inch props wont have any difficulty as long as the quadcopter is less than 750g total and can probably lift more as long as you aren';t bothered about acrobatics.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

homersainty

Quote from: feefo on Thursday,January 10, 2013, 23:10:25
True but I';ve got some carbon sheet offcuts that I managed to blag from a place that specialise in making carbon ';things';. In fact a LHS owner got them to make some carbon parts for his heli, I guess they';d make other bits too, but I doubt they';d be the cheap option.

They have 2 online stores

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Default.aspx

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/

I use them for carbon rods or tube for my FW control rods etc.
Quote from: XH558 on Thursday,January 10, 2013, 22:58:32
Ply';s even cheaper  :rolleyes: ;)
Quote from: XH558 on Thursday,January 10, 2013, 22:58:32
Ply';s even cheaper  :rolleyes: ;)

But not as sexy :smiley:
If you find yourself in danger of being taken seriously, then try to do something which undermines or sabotages that perception in some way.

Gav

Nice one - home builds are good fun.  How come you have the esc';s going out the sides - going for a clean look? Doesn';t it make it awkward for you with the wiring?
I hid the motor wiring inside the ally arms on my last home frame build.  looks good but extra wiring adds weight plus the extra time it takes to fiddle around.  So many different ways to do things eh?! Look forward to the maiden vid. ;D

Cheers
Gav

XH558

Quote from: homersainty on Friday,January 11, 2013, 04:41:57
But not as sexy :smiley:


';Tis if you paint it black and squint when you look at it  :laugh: :laugh:

I have to say if he has access to carbon offcuts then that beats ply hands down ... I only use ply because a) I have access to free ply offcuts... and b) I';m too stingy to buy carbon  :whistling:  (well alright I bought some carbon 10mm square tube for the Hex - but I am seriously thinking of going back to aluminium and ply as my staple building materials  :azn)

I';m all for ';building on a budget'; much more fun than kits - and IMHO you learn more  :rolleyes: :laugh:

feefo

Quote from: XH558 on Friday,January 11, 2013, 11:54:53

I';m all for ';building on a budget'; much more fun than kits - and IMHO you learn more  :rolleyes: :laugh:


All very well provided you can cut straight..... :whistling:

XH558

Quote from: feefo on Friday,January 11, 2013, 13:08:33
All very well provided you can cut straight..... :whistling:


That';s the VERY point ... you LEARN to cut straight by doing it & getting it wrong .. perhaps several times  :laugh:
CA is brilliant - if you cut it wrong CA it back on and try again  :rolleyes:

I have been doing it 50 years and I still get it wrong (occasionally  :whistling:) but I still get more pleasure from thinking about how I';m going to build something cheaply - assembling the bits I can afford and getting it all together successfully so it flies ... not just these quads but planks too.

I will admit to having a very large scrap box under my cutting bench  :embarrassed :embarrassed
But fettling is magic... I love it   :cool:

My best mistake to date was trying to cut 1/8th balsa strip from a plank so I didn';t have to buy any ... got my trusty metal ruler and held it down firmly with my finger ends pressing down very firmly so it didn';t move ... forgot that fingers ';squash'; down a little bit when pressed  and with my very sharp scalpel trimmed about 1/16th off the ends of 3 fingers... quite neatly  :azn    I can tell you that blood soaks in to balsa very quickly  :blink  I did think about gluing the bits of finger back on with CA ... but left them off thinking that it';s be less likely to happen next time now there';s less skin there  ;) That plank still has the blood soaked balsa within it';s structure ... well you can';t waste it can you  :shrug:

feefo

Quote from: XH558 on Friday,January 11, 2013, 13:25:17
That';s the VERY point ... you LEARN to cut straight by doing it & getting it wrong .. perhaps several times  :laugh:
CA is brilliant - if you cut it wrong CA it back on and try again  :rolleyes:

I have been doing it 50 years and I still get it wrong (occasionally  :whistling:) but I still get more pleasure from thinking about how I';m going to build something cheaply - assembling the bits I can afford and getting it all together successfully so it flies ... not just these quads but planks too.

I will admit to having a very large scrap box under my cutting bench  :embarrassed :embarrassed
But fettling is magic... I love it   :cool:

My best mistake to date was trying to cut 1/8th balsa strip from a plank so I didn';t have to buy any ... got my trusty metal ruler and held it down firmly with my finger ends pressing down very firmly so it didn';t move ... forgot that fingers ';squash'; down a little bit when pressed  and with my very sharp scalpel trimmed about 1/16th off the ends of 3 fingers... quite neatly  :azn    I can tell you that blood soaks in to balsa very quickly  :blink  I did think about gluing the bits of finger back on with CA ... but left them off thinking that it';s be less likely to happen next time now there';s less skin there  ;) That plank still has the blood soaked balsa within it';s structure ... well you can';t waste it can you  :shrug:


Dunno, I';m pretty bad at cutting, don';t seem to be getting any better either. I';ve come to the conclusion there';s those who can. and those who can';t. As far as cutting things accurately, I';m in the 2nd group.

Getting it wrong with ply isn';t too bad tho, but codging up carbon sheet, even when it was free, is a little annoying  :banghead:

homersainty

a few pics from today i have tided up the wiring a little not that you would notice from the pictures but i have honest the esc';s will now be hidden in the arms well they kinda fit was just gona chuck it together to see if it works but thought may as well tidy it up now just in case it douse 

If you find yourself in danger of being taken seriously, then try to do something which undermines or sabotages that perception in some way.

XH558

Carbon centre = carbon props .... time to get some black Hammerite on that aluminium - then it';d look really cool  :cool:


homersainty

a few pics from today all ready to maiden tomorrow  :crossfingers:



If you find yourself in danger of being taken seriously, then try to do something which undermines or sabotages that perception in some way.

teslahed

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

XH558

Ah - now that';s very interesting ... you seem to have used 3 sided aluminium not box section  :hmm:

I bought some of that from B&Q for my first quad - but after I';d built it I was a bit concerned about the rotational flex in the arms ... it didn';t seem rigid enough. So before i flew it I stripped it all down and rebuilt it with aluminium box section.

Mind you the arms on mine may have been a tad longer and therefore more prone to flex.

It will be very interesting to see what you think when you';ve flown it  :cool:

Smeagol

Well spotted, I looked at the photo and didn';t catch on. I was struggling to find 10mm square in the local diy and picked up the "U" section, I thought it was a little flexible over the length of the arms on mine so I didn';t get it. Looks like these are a thicker section.

I like the idea of hiding the wiring in the channel section, much neater.

The build looks great, the CF interweave is real nice matched with the props, black arms will make it all look real well, great work.


secretman

where your propeller from? and what size?? nice looking quad!

paulcobra

Could even get the sticky back plastic in carbon effect to cover those arms, car spares places sell it or ebay

feefo

Quote from: paulcobra on Thursday,January 17, 2013, 02:54:33
Could even get the sticky back plastic in carbon effect to cover those arms, car spares places sell it or ebay


I bought some from ebay, it';s not very sticky tho. I have to apply some 3m 77 to it to get it to stick, and it';s not great then either.

paulcobra

Car spares places tend to have better quality stuff.