Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 00:41:16

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Anyone flashed CC3D over to cleanflight?

Started by Sweet Pickle, Saturday,November 29, 2014, 12:54:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Pickle

My foray into CC3D was pretty much the same as I';ve found the KK board, pretty frustrating. Can';t decide which I hate most at this point.
Must admit I didn';t give the CC3D board the attention it deserved and didn';t notice until mid week that I was limiting my FW updates because I hadn';t updated to the V4 bootloader. I have to say this has improved the performance by some way (brief 5 minute back garden hover)  so I';ll be out in a bit when my LIPO';s have charged to give it a proper go. Whilst getting ready for my first Naze32 delivery last night however I stumbled across some oldish news of CC3D working with Cleanflight. Have to say a user on another forum posted up a video of his 250 running this and it seemed beautifully locked in and responsive.
I shouldn';t torture myself because I';m fast learning I don';t think I';m really cut out to pilot, I should just take enjoyment from the build... but I';m clinging on to the desperate notion that I';ll hookup with a setup that I just "get" and everything will come together.
At the very least it will give me more to tinker with to take my mind off the fact this hobby isn';t best suited to my skillset.
Anyone on here tried it and if so... thoughts please?

tupoar

In a word, yes I have put Cleanflight on a CC3D but I couldn';t really test it because my rx is pwm only and the CC3D with CF on it only supports 4 channels pwm (8 channels in cppm). However, it all seemed to work and I was connecting to it via bluetooth. I must add that you need to either use bluetooth or a USB to UART dongle if you want to connect it to a PC as the USB port on the FC doesn';t work with CF.

If you';re getting a naze32, have a play with that first. Get used to the BF/CF interface (which is very easy). I think you';ll like it. If you';re happy on the naze32, then it may be worth putting CF on the CC3D.
A new way of buying and selling RC Gear.

[url="//www.rcmungo.com"]www.rcmungo.com[/url]

Craft: RE Decker 180, RE X1, HK Thorax, Hubsan X4, Q4
FC: Naze32, Flip32, Sparky, CC3D, SP Racing F3
VRX: RCD T-Box - 40 Channel Diversity

kilby

I';m unsure as to what you have flown before but if you are coming from the Naza or APM the Naze and I assume CC3D are very different indeed in their feel.

I know on my 250 it was about 4 flying sessions (4 batteries each time) before I decided that I didn';t loathe it
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

guest325

The new 14.1 firmware is more focussed on mini';s so it';s probably going to be a major improvement! There are a few good comments about it on the openpilot forum.

Sweet Pickle

Well, I just came back from a really frustrating session. I';m afraid I have a real sinking feeling and I';m losing a lot of confidence.
I can just about bring my Disco home now most outings without too much drama. KK and CC3D just kill me. I may have been spoilt flying too long in GPS ATTI and I know that';s a dirty word around here... but anything else and it';s crash central. With all these other flight controllers my quads just drift where they please and I';m always battling to correct them all the time. My 450 took one hell of a hiding today (and lived to tell the tale) and the 250 ZMR went through it';s usual quota of props on a 4 minute flight. I wouldn';t mind I';m not trying anything spectacular. No daredevil swoops and flips... just bog standard away from and back towards me type moves.
I am really having a crisis of confidence and can only console myself in the fact I enjoy all aspects of the build so much.
Thinking of taking a shovel with me as part of my flight kit to keep digging them out of the ground with.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

kilby

You could start getting to know the disco in mores other than the gps modes as that will at least give you gps stabilised mode to switch to if you get into trouble.
Taranis+

guest325

It';s all about patience,  it took me 18 months to get through a bmfa fixed wing a test and quite a few bi  bag jobs on the way,  but I persevered and am now (reasonably) ok.
It';s all part of the learning curve,  at my age it takes a long while to learn new skills but I don';t give up.  If it';s something that you really want to do then just do it and accept the things that happen along the way.
This is one of the reasons that I advocate learning to fly in non gps assisted mode - you will learn to fly quicker than relying on gps to bail you out.  I know it sounds harsh but the more oops'; s you have earlier on the quicker you learn what you are doing wrong and how to avoid it, but that';s only my opinion. Learning to fly at 60+ has been hard and expensive but I wouldn';t change what I have done for the world!

Hands0n

@Sweet Pickle - Hey mate, try not to get too despondent about your crashes. They really are not failures, although they may seem it at the time. 

I was a spectacular crash test dummy when I started out on this around 20 months ago. Every trip I came back with my 450 Firefly in various states of brokenness. I';ve still got a pile of motor arms that I bought in anticipation of breaking on each flight. ::)  Over time I found an FC that suited me - then a MultiWii Pro - and got on well with that.  Then I went over to APM which was a whole new learning curve, and some of the software versions weren';t that great.

In the time that followed I';ve continued experimenting with various FCs, Naze32 and CC3D being the latest. They';re not flawless - but it does sound like you may be flying them in Manual/Acro mode? 

Ordinarily, in their Angle or Horizon mode (Naze32) or Attitude mode (CC3D) they are quite stable, they';ll auto-level nicely.  Then if you can keep them close to you and get the feel, the muscle memory will build up, as will your ability and confidence.

Do you have anyone to fly/train with?  As Darrell says, it is all a matter of time and lots of practise. One day it just clicks ...

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

guest325

Well said Danny,  you';ve more or less been in the same boat as me but I';ve spread my learning out a bit more - learning to fly multis and planes at the same time has sometimes been counter productive but I';ve stuck with it and done it - I do know that if I had concentrated on one at a time I would probably have progressed quicker but I didn';t want to do that.
I think you';ve got to be quite resilient to get through the early stages if they aren';t straight forward but it';s worth it in the end!

flybywire

Mate, stick at it, nothing is as pleasing as learning to fly one of these things. Cc3d is a great fc to learn on,as you can start with a degree of stability and just slide the bar up as you get more proficient but it';s not an overnight thing.
Blog: [url="http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff"]http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff[/url]
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

Sweet Pickle

Thanks chaps,
I have taken the Disco out of GPS a few times and I';m still O.K with that. I do crash it, I';ll not lie but it';s a tough beast. With the TBS though, it';s probably the costliest build and as such is the one I';d least like to see vanish into the big blue yonder.
Thing is (please don';t mistake this for me being big-headed, I';m actually very humble) I';ve always taken to things like a duck to water. I tend to gravitate towards things that are by their nature challenging because I bore quite easilly. I have very good hand/eye coordination and despite the fact I';m no spring chicken I have pretty good reactions. As a kid/young man I was a pretty good sportsman, good all round cricketer, could bowl, bat and keep wicket, played football and a little bit of rugger. I can solder/reflow/rework things that many people wouldn';t even try. I self taught myself lock-picking (for fun, I';m not a crim  :wack0), was reasonably good at online gaming.. all the sorts of things that led me to think I';d be alright at flying multi-rotors. It has of course gave me no fast pass though as hand/eye/reaction speed seem to count for nowt.
Unfortuanately there isn';t anyone that I know of in my 1 horse town to fly with so it';s solo all the way for me.
I do however seem to think (clutching at straws) I just can';t dial in my craft. PID';s are still a black art, I have tried, tried and tried some more but can';t seem to fine tune to the point of satisfaction. I';ve read resources (to the point of monotony), watched video';s, practiced, fiddled, chanced it and coppied others settings but everything is not rosy in the garden. I haven';t tried KK or CC3D in Manual or Acro, heaven forbid I';m having enough problems in Stabilized and Self levelling mode.
Unfortunately Danny I am pretty dispondent. The missus is even picking up on the fact It';s getting on my wick. She';s thinking I should get shot of the whole lot. She knows better of course. I';m not a quitter, never have been and never will be. Unfortunately I';m not seeing any rays of sunshine poking through the rainclouds at the moment.
I keep dusting myself off but barely 5 minutes in today and I';d already crashed fairly badly 3 times. Getting harder to keep the faith.

Hands0n

*rolls up sleeves*

So whereabouts on planet Earth are you? I';m thinking a couple of things here...

1) Get one of the chaps on here to set up your CC3D as stable and tame as they can get it.  You can ask all the questions etc, but at least you';ll have a leg up in terms of a workingly stable CC3D that you can hone your hand/eye/muscle control skills.  They are very different to any of that mahoosive list of things you mentioned. But you';ve already found that out ;)

2) If you';re not a squillion miles away then maybe there';s someone who';ll take you on for a day';s flying/tutoring/mentoring to give you a booster.  Learning by yourself is difficult (I know that much) because there is no one to reflect against.  Forums like this are the next best thing - but maybe you just need someone standing next to you to give you real time hints on what to do, etc.

For my sins, one of the things I do, is to teach people how to drive cars, from zero to hero.  It is an entirely practical skill that they cannot learn any other way than by repetitively doing it.  I';ve had full grown adult men sobbing their eyes out in my car (one was an Army Paratrooper for pity';s sake!).  But they all get there in the end, something clicks and then it all hangs together for them.  But until then I';m there with my feet over the dual controls to bail them out of any difficulty. 

So perhaps, just perhaps, you would benefit from a similar paradigm for a day maybe.  It just a thought. If you were anywhere near North Kent you';re more than welcome to borrow me for a day ~~
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

flybywire

SP, i don';t know where you';re at flying wise, if you have disco with full gps, and is sel levelling and stable, if i were you, i would learn to orientate the quad in all planes first, with self level, or gps, whatever works for you, so you';re not crashing all the time.  This could take hours, days or weeks, there is no real rush, but at the end, you';ll be able to fly her without thinking, nose out, in, sideways, bacwards, etc etc.
Then trim your 250 with the cc3d in stabilise mode and do the same, but keep it close in, figure of eights, etc, then up the gains until it';s in full rate mode.  It';s not easy, you will crash many times, but 250';s are tough.
It';s easier (kind of) to fly fpv, but i found the cc3d a bit vomit inducing after flying the naza';s, but even that didn';t last too long.

I';ve said before, but it is a bit like swimming as a youngster, scary at first, and it feels like your drowning, until finally you crack it, and can';t stay away!
Blog: [url="http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff"]http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff[/url]
Keep it emax, capiche?

kilby

Don';t worry it can take time (after a year I still terrible with a fixed wing model)

What worked for me was spending a lot of time in stability mode on my APM machine with tame settings.

I';m sure the Naza has a similar mode and others can advise on the mode to use.

To get myself used with ';nose in'; flying I would sometimes switch to gps mode spend a few minutes to get my confidence and then switch back to a stabilised (but no gps) flight mode.

After a few weeks I turned the settings up and did the same things all over again.

After that I started to venture into Acro mode for tasks i was confident with and built up the acrobatic time over many sessions.

I needed a lot of time to build up to it and to be honest I seldom venture into acrobatic mode on the Naze32 I just stick to horizon mode.
Taranis+

kilby

I will say that some other method may well suit you better buy don';t get discouraged, if I can fly then anybody can.

Also do try to hook up with other flyers.
Taranis+

Sweet Pickle

Well, the pity party is over and I need to crack on. Ordered up a bluetooth chip so I can try and adjust settings on the fly. I';m pretty sure it';s my lack of confidence in my quads that is in turn giving me the willy';s. As my back garden doesn';t lend itself to test flights this makes it difficult for me to adjust settings... because I have to come all the way home. If I can achieve a level of confidence in the craft, I might start to relax myself.  :embarrassed. Not sure how I';m going to adjust any settings with me gripping the TX like a Boa.. but you have to start somewhere.
I';m in Banbury (oxfordshire) BTW, if anyone is remotely close I';d love to come along and observe the pro';s. Be nice to let someone give my models a proper workout.

tupoar

Thats right SP, get back on the horse. It';s the only way ~~

The thing with BT is that you won';t be using it while flying. You fly, you land, you adjust, repeat.

I';m a seriously nervous flyer but there comes a point when you just have to have faith in yourself.

Have you got a cheap "crash, test quad" you fart about with?

Hands0n

Yeah, whatever you do, don';t try to adjust PID or settings while its in the air. That will end in tears ...
--
Danny

Sweet Pickle

Indeed my 450 is pretty bargain basement. It';s already done more than it';s share of crash testing.
Have to say...my session yesterday did little to raise my spirits. 250 and 450 both took plenty of dirt naps. Ground still like a sponge so only prop damage reported. 4 batteries and around 30 crashes.
The morning was beautiful and sunny..typical by the time batteries were charged it was pretty cold and grim. Just about summed the day up.

flybywire

you can charge them up before hand you know! 

What flight controllers are you using SP?
Keep it emax, capiche?

Hands0n

While we';re at it ... what ESC are you using also.  May as well do a drains up  ;)
--
Danny

Sweet Pickle

Lol. I';m a victim of not leaving lipo';s charged paranoia. No chance of flying in the week as I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.

250 currently has kk with stevies and a push 12a esc and sunnysky motor combo. 450 has cc3d with 30a afro and emax motor combo. Don';t like the kk board because it doesn';t do sbus with my x8r vx so I';m about to change that for a naze 32 funfly jobbie.

tupoar

With my lipo';s, I leave them for up to 3 weeks before I discharge them if I';m not flying. You can leave them longer but 1 week won';t kill them.

kilby

I sill remind you of a line in the Naze manual.

Your first flight must take place in Gyro only mode, then you can carry out the accelerometer trimming to get your Angle/Horizon working
Taranis+

Hands0n

@SP - I charge my LiPo after every flight and leave them in the box for however long.  Like you, i only get out weekends, so they spend the week in the ammo box.  The bulk of the batteries are over a year old and still good as new - capacity is unaffected.  When i first came to the hobby I would religiously put them to storage charge after use ... not anymore ::)

@kilby - I';m not entirely convinced that isn';t a typical Timecop';ism.  Four Naze32 [full] in use and never done that - mostly because I am quite a bit carp ::) at flying in Acro (Gyro) mode and will usually crash in moments.  I';ve always set up in Angle or Horizon mode and if not good with default PID it has only taken a few small adjustments to get things right.
--
Danny

flybywire

Yeah, i thought you had a Naza FC, must have been somebody else.  If you';re getting frustrated, maybe it';s time to try a Naza?  It';ll get you in the air for long enough periods to learn to fly, and most of all, you';ll have bags of fun, and after all, that';s exactly what it should be!
Keep it emax, capiche?

Sweet Pickle

I do have a naza. That';s on my discovery. As I say I';m alright with that in GPS atti and I have felt comfortable enough to try vanilla atti a few times. Don';t think i have the stones to try full manual with that despite the fact it';s supremely stable. Think that is more by luck than design.
I know GPS atti is sneered at but when you';re as nervous a me it';s a start. There is something comforting about centering the sticks if you can see things going pear shaped and seeing the craft stabilize and hold position allowing you time to compose yourself.

kilby

@flybywire, I had issues with my initial flight with my first naze by starting off in angle mode.

Reset the board, stuck the same configuration on and started off in Acro and everything was cool,  3 or 4 minutes to trim angle/horizon and it was great.

Unfortunately it buggered off on the next battery (stopped using orange receivers after that)
Taranis+

tupoar

You really need to have a bit more confidence in yourself SP. It sounds like you';re panicking once you turn the safe nets off. If you can persevere till the new year, I will come over to you one weekend. I';m no expert flyer but I';d be more than happy to come fly with you.

Hands0n

Thats a nice offer there @tupoar - whereabouts in the UK are you anyway Sweet Pickle?

Like others have said - best would be to stick with the Naza in GPS mode just getting used to mooching around with it. Getting the feel of the sticks and how it responds to your input. Learning nice and easy rather than pushing too hard and ruining  your confidence.    There won';t be any "sneering" on here mate, we';ve all had to learn one way or another, and we';re all different.

I';d say that once you';re quite happy and comfy with GPS mode then switch to Atti and have a play with that - again nice and gently, slow and easy, don';t push yourself but just take it all on gradually and patiently (my own weakest attribute!!).

Personally, I';d not bother with Manual at all with your Naza.  Its not essential, there';s no reason to switch to Manual unless you actually want to for some particular purpose.  And even then, you can repeat the above to get into Manual all in good (your own) time.

Maybe best to put the other gear away and just focus on gaining the skills on your Naza aircraft only.  Once you';re comfy and happy with it you';ll be able to transfer all that learning across to anything else multi-rotor that you want to fly. Really ~~

--
Danny