Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 15:40:05

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

How to flash your ESCs with improved SimonK firmware - the easy way

Started by teslahed, Monday,January 07, 2013, 18:11:22

Previous topic - Next topic

teslahed

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

guest325

Quote from: teslahed on Sunday,September 21, 2014, 13:29:56
Bump!

See post 2 for details (added new info about RapidFlash)
Read the post with great interest, does this now mean that if you have got an Afro flash linker that you can now flash any atmega based esc using this method?

Hands0n

Quote from: DarrellW on Sunday,September 21, 2014, 15:08:24
Read the post with great interest, does this now mean that if you have got an Afro flash linker that you can now flash any atmega based esc using this method?

Yes, only if your ESC software has a bootloader, which you can load using the usual method.  Once done you can use the flash linker going forward.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

guest325

Quote from: Hands0n on Sunday,September 21, 2014, 15:25:24
Yes, only if your ESC software has a bootloader, which you can load using the usual method.  Once done you can use the flash linker going forward.
Sounds good, but how do I know if the esc has a bootloader?

Hands0n

Quote from: DarrellW on Sunday,September 21, 2014, 15:37:09
Sounds good, but how do I know if the esc has a bootloader?

That is a very good question and ... I don';t know! I suppose the only way to tell is to try using the Flash Linker tool.  It won';t work if the bootloader isn';t there. But I don';t think there is any way of querying the ESC for the version of software that is on it. I may be wrong ...
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

barneyg

The default install of simonk for the last year or so adds the bootloader.  So if you';ve bought/installed since then it will most likely be there

teslahed

If flashing ESCs with SimonK for the first time using a socket tool then you need to enable the bootloader option as described in post 1;

QuoteYou will need to select the right options in the lazyzero KKMulticopter Flashtool program to successfully flash your Electronic Speed Controllers;

Once you';ve done this then you can use the USB flash tool via the servo signal wires from then on.

If you';ve bought SimonK flashed ESCs from any reputable source then the bootloader should be enabled by default. Afro ESCs from hobbyking come with the bootloader enabled out the packet.

guest325

Quote from: teslahed on Sunday,September 21, 2014, 17:13:11
If flashing ESCs with SimonK for the first time using a socket tool then you need to enable the bootloader option as described in post 1;

Once you';ve done this then you can use the USB flash tool via the servo signal wires from then on.

If you';ve bought SimonK flashed ESCs from any reputable source then the bootloader should be enabled by default. Afro ESCs from hobbyking come with the bootloader enabled out the packet.
So that means then that you can';t use this method on an esc that doesn';t already have Simonk on it?
I was initially thinking it was an easy way to flash raw esc';s.

teslahed

Unfortunately it';s not an easy way to flash raw ESCs for the first time. You will still need the socket tool for that.

nub

not sure if this a daft question or not :laugh: but can i rip/download simonk firmware from an ESC to put to another?
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Hands0n

Quote from: nub on Sunday,September 21, 2014, 22:04:34
not sure if this a daft question or not :laugh: but can i rip/download simonk firmware from an ESC to put to another?

You don';t have to. All of the SimonK software versions for each ESC type is available on the Internet. 

Quote@teslahed said:

You will need to download the latest version of the SimonK firmware. This is the improved firmware that you will be uploading to your electronic speed controller to improve it';s responsiveness and remove ';features'; that work well for planes and conventional aircraft but are not so good with multirotors, like the low voltage cut off which will save your lithium polymer battery but destroy your quadcopter.

Not all electronic speed controllers use the ATMEL chip but many do. This document has a list of the different common Electronic Speed controllers that people like to flash;

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhR02IDNb7_MdEhfVjk3MkRHVzhKdjU1YzdBQkZZRlE#gid=0

As well as including links to the firmware itself. It';s worth looking closely at the document because there are different individual files for different Electronic Speed Controllers and if you pick the wrong one you could damage your speed controller. Looking at the document I can see that I need to flash the ';bs_nfet.hex'; file which will be included in the download found here;

https://github.com/sim-/tgy/downloads

New versions are released periodically - it';s probably best to get the latest (at the top) unless you know of any problems with this version, then try the next one down.

Source: http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=1079.0
--
Danny

nub

but i don';t know what to flash it with its a 10A ESC from gadgetextreme.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Hands0n

I did a quick google of gadgetextreme ESC and the results suggest it already has SimonK on it (12A ESC). 

I don';t know enough about the chipsets to advise which .hex file you need. Someone else may be able to give you a steer.
--
Danny

nub

yes which is why i wanted to take the firmware from an ESC to put onto another as its missing from 2 of them :smiley:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-Brushless-ESC-1A-BEC-Output-250-Quadcopter-Fixed-wing-Copters-e-/281347420587?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item41819cf1ab

i asked the seller the other day if he can give me the information i need but i have no idea if i';ll get a response.

damn PITA this is.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Hands0n

Well, I suppose if you can use the tool and KKFlashTool to write firmware onto the chip then the same should be able to read it off the working ESC.  One of the sequences of flashing is to read-verify after write.  So there may be a feature in KKFlashTool to read and store (as a form of previous version backup).  I don';t know for sure.  Worth a try if you';ve got the bits.
--
Danny

nub

yer its been a while since i';ve used it and was thinking it may have sort of backup feature before flashing but can not mind anything about it to be honest, its been a long time since i';ve flashed any ESC';s :laugh:
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

mpd79

Has anyone ever had issues up loading the ';+enable boot loader'; variant of the firmware? With the last 10 I have done the regular version goes on without any errors, the ';+'; version always fails? Cheers, Mike.
TAROT 680Pro - Pixhawk
330 LF v2 - APMMini
Taranis
[url=http://postimage.org/][/url]