Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 04:47:45

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 29
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

prop balancers?

Started by paulcobra, Saturday,January 05, 2013, 22:36:07

Previous topic - Next topic

paulcobra

What balancers are people using? Whats the cheapest option?

teslahed

There';s a long thread discussing prop balancers here;

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=86.0

I used the DU-BRO prop balancer. It';s not the cheapest but it does seem to work very well for me.

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

paulcobra

Mmm interesting, looks like ill have to wait now as just blew all my spare cash on fiddly bits to finish my 450, i did find a thread on another forum for making one using a finger balancer and some magnets, might give that a try, just need to grab a finger balancer.

XH558

I wouldn';t bother  :rolleyes: I bought a magnetic balancer as it was supposed to be ';the best'; only to be told in the other thread that they are no good as the balancer can itself be out of balance  :hmm:

So I gave up worrying too  much - it';s not like we need NASA accuracy - I balance on the magnetic thing till it';s sort of ok (within its out of balance ';accuracy';  :rolleyes:) and leave it at that ... I can';t be fagged with hub balancing... they still go round - and it flies ... wotteva  :laugh:
David :)
[url="//www.mh434.com"]www.mh434.com[/url]
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

teslahed

It very much depends on what kind of flying you want to do. If you just want to get a multirotor in the air and fly around a bit you can get away with fairly poorly balanced props. It won';t have all that much of an affect - especially if you have a forgiving flight controller like the NAZA or the KK2 with autolevel enabled.

If you want get the smoothest highest quality aerial photography then getting your props and even the motors themselves balanced will make a noticeable difference to the video quality. If you enjoy stunt flying then well balanced props will give your flight controller';s sensors better readings and your quadcopter will seem to respond better to your inputs - you';ll feel more ';connected'; with it and it will seem to track better. Moving one way whilst spinning to face another direction is one maneuver that has always felt better to me when i have well balanced props and smoothly running motors.

It';s definitely not worth worrying about it too much to start with - just buy reasonable quality props and maybe give them a rough tune up if you think it will help. If you are still breaking props every other flight it';s really not worth spending half and hour or so getting them all perfectly balanced. Brian balances his on a biro...
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

paulcobra

Im still fairly new to it all, i think for now ill have a bash at the magnetic type with a finger balancer till i can fly better. So if anyone has a spare finger balancer they would be willing to part with?

XH558

Quote from: teslahed on Sunday,January 06, 2013, 00:48:14
It';s definitely not worth worrying about it too much to start with - just buy reasonable quality props and maybe give them a rough tune up if you think it will help. If you are still breaking props every other flight it';s really not worth spending half and hour or so getting them all perfectly balanced. Brian balances his on a biro...
Yep - that';s the angle I was coming from .... my Dad';s sage advice about getting married applies here ..... it';s like learning to ride a bike ... any old thing will do to learn on ... but once you';ve learned you need a good un  :azn

The early rough and tumble of learning needs roughly balanced props because they';re not on there long  :whistling: - but if you';re moving on to decent aerial camera work and you';re not breaking or chipping props every flight then you need properly balanced everything I suppose  :smiley:

I';ve never been that type of flier - I like things to be ok enough for me  - I could never get too anal about what is essentially a fun hobby ... but if it';s your living then that';s different   ;)

Suppliers of bits for hobbies like ours feed on our need to constantly upgrade and improve ... so your budget is another driving factor .... a bottomless wallet I don';t have .... what';ll do - will do  :laugh:
David :)
[url="//www.mh434.com"]www.mh434.com[/url]
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

Biffa

Quote from: XH558 on Sunday,January 06, 2013, 13:41:01 Suppliers of bits for hobbies like ours feed on our need to constantly upgrade and improve ... so your budget is another driving factor .... a bottomless wallet I don';t have .... what';ll do - will do  :laugh:

+1 I have used my helicopter balancer which is a £3 job with the two bits that just tighten on a thread and you balance it between to glasses.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Main-Blade-Balancer-for-T-Rex-450-hk-450-blue-/121039346087?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item1c2e81d9a7

It has done the job and removed the worst vibes, but once all my FPV gear turns up I may have to balance the blades a little better, but for just hooning the quad around they balance just fine.
Steve

guest325

100% with you here guys - I';m luck, designing my own on the lines of the Dubro - will see if it works well and has marketing potential!

davethepitch

Hello all

My Rctimer carbon fibre props have arrived and i have just purchased a blade balancer but the balancer does seem expensive for what it is and i hope it does the job http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7702 :o

Dave