Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,April 20, 2024, 01:51:46

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

How to do nice banked turns?

Started by guest325, Monday,December 31, 2012, 10:02:33

Previous topic - Next topic

guest325

OK, so I';ve been flying my Hubsan x4 around indoors and can pilot it with reasonable precision up / down / forwards / backwards / and both ways sidewaysbut can';t for the life of me do a banked turn - I don';t think I';ve got enough room I just seem to slide out sideways in the opposite way I want to go and hit something.
Flying fixed wing I rarely use rudder except when taking off or landing and occasionally if I want a tighter turn, the other thing is I fly mode 1 (which I know is unusual with rotary wing).
Any advice on technique would be gratefully received!

teslahed

When doing a banked turn with my quadcopter i think about it like I';m driving a race car around one of the old fashioned 1930';s era race tracks, where the road was banked to stop the cars sliding off the sides.

If you just use the rudder to turn a quadcopter it will side slip until the sideways drag on the frame causes it to stop. If you use the aileron stick at the same time as the rudder to bank the quadcopter then the banked thrust will counteract the side slipping tendency and you will turn much more quickly in a much tighter circle.

It takes a little time to get used to it as you have to learn to control all 4 stick axis at the same time, but keep practicing with this in mind and you should get there.

If you are flying slowly enough you don';t really need to bank at all - so if you are flying in too small a space you';ll find it very difficult to practice this technique. Unfortunately the weather (in the UK) is so bad at the moment it';s difficult to get outside for a proper flight. If you can try flying in a sports hall this would be ideal as you';ll get no wind interfering and you';ll feel every little control input much more precisely for practicing with. Otherwise you might have to wait for the weather to improve before you can really give this a go.

I fly mode 2 so it wont be quite the same for me as it is for you - so i wont tell you exactly what to do on what stick - but if you are used to doing it your way you should be fine once you learn to coordinate all the sticks at the same time.

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Gaza07

Banked turns are quite hard to do with a multi as they are with a helicopter to, all the sticks have to be used in coordination and you have to feel your way around bank to hard the copter will just slip down, you need to be moving quite quickly and feed in rudder and ailerons at the same time watching what the copter is doing you can then also start to pull a little up elevator to pull the nose around into the turn much like you do with a plane, getting all of these timed right will produce a nice banked turn,
the faster you go the more you can bank, it just takes practice  ~~
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

guest325

Thanks, I kind of thought that was it and realise now I';m not doing myself any favours flying in a 12'; x 18'; room - as you say not enough manoevering space. I just want to nail this bit with the Hubsan before giving it some with my 450!

Biffa

You will find it a lot easier outside as there is a lot of dirty air when flying these little quads or helicopters in confined spaces, added to the fact you don';t have to worry about hitting TV';s, the wife/kids/pets or anything else outside ~~
Steve

Flyinegypt

Probably showing my ignorance but with some fixed wing aircraft rudder and aileron can be mixed to assist in coordinating a smooth turn. Is this a viable option with a multirotor? Something which would allow initial training and then could be gradually reduced as practise improves.
Just a thought

guest325

Given up trying to do that sort of thing in the house, nowhere near enough room :-)
Trying to get more outdoor experience but the weather aint playing ball is it! ;';-(

mickyt

(You will find it a lot easier outside as there is a lot of dirty air when flying these little quads)

Does he mean you fart a lot indoors?. :rofl:
If someone throw's a stone at you throw a flower at them just remember to throw the pot with it.

guest325

Quote from: mickyt on Sunday,February 10, 2013, 18:33:22
(You will find it a lot easier outside as there is a lot of dirty air when flying these little quads)

Does he mean you fart a lot indoors?. :rofl:
Who me???   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
No, it';s her indoors   :whistling:  :whistling:
Or the cat  :whistling:  :whistling:

maddog7

I think you might find it difficult with the X4 full stop, possibly for two reasons. One is the aggressive and sensitive self level mode it flys in and the other is the accelerometers can go out of calibration, sit it in a hover and piro it, it should stay perfectly on the spot, if not calibrate the accels. If the accels are out smooth turns will be very difficult.

I larger model without SL would be a better thing to try with.
:smiley:
D

bunnygirl80

Hi,

I fly mode 1 and also have a small twister which I fly indoors. Outdoors on my 450 I can do pretty nice banked turns, but indoors using the twister it';s very difficult due to lack of space! I would agree with everyone else, lots and lots of practice and you';ll get it! I would not recommend mixing as is common with airctrafts! I use mixing quite a lot with my 3D planes, but think about a quad. If you mix the aileron to rudder, then when you come in to land and your quad veers off to the left or right and you correct it with your ailerons then it will start rotating at the same time making life even more difficult. It just wont work with a quad as it doesn';t move constantly like a plane and doesn';t have the same characteristics.

Good luck.
Always smile because you never know who could be falling in love with it. :) Drone Operator in North Wales. [url="//www.aerialworx.co.uk"]www.aerialworx.co.uk[/url]

Flyinegypt

Very true, I had not considered that part of the flight envelope. Still wearing my fixed wing head!

pheasant_plucker

You can mix them but would need to set up the mix on a switch for low level manouvers so you can switch it out when required. The mix will not effect things like rth because the controller does that.

Gerry
The man serving me in the canteen said "Look, You can see the face of Jesus in the Margarine" The Asian guy next to me replied "I can't believe it's not Budda"
[url="http://www.namfc.co.uk/pictures/fly.gif"]http://www.namfc.co.uk/pictures/fly.gif[/url]

Flyinegypt

Yes, I used to do that with new models until I was comfortable with the flight characteristics. In the end I would leave the mix switched off.
I might play with mixing in the flight sim to see what happens...no loss if it does not work right there.