Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 05:58:27

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 29
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

WARNING acro Naze 32 + Afro 12 amp V3 = magic smoke!

Started by teslahed, Sunday,June 29, 2014, 14:28:43

Previous topic - Next topic

teslahed

I have heard that the newest 12 amp ultra lite (v3) Afro ESCs have shipped with the wrong voltage regulator on them;

The BEC give out 6 volts and not 5 volts.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55241__Afro_ESC_12Amp_Ultra_Lite_Multi_rotor_Motor_Speed_Controller_SimonK_Firmware_Version_3.html

Quote from: hobbykingSpecs:
Current Draw: 12A Continuous
Voltage Range: 2-4s Lipoly
BEC: 0.5A Linear 6.0v
Input Freq: 1KHz
Firmware: afro_nfet.hex
Discharge wire/plugs: 20AWG/Male 2mm
Motor wire/plugs: 20AWG/Female 2mm
Weight: 10g (Included wire, plug, heat shrink)
Size: 25 x 20 x 6mm 

This means that if you use them to power your Naze 32 there is a good chance you';ll let the magic smoke out. Acro Naze 32';s don';t like much more than 5 volts going in.

Previous afro ESCs would give 5 volts via the servo cables and are absolutely fine to use with a Naze32.

timecop was not amused when he realise what hobbyking had done.

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Britishguy

tupoar

A new way of buying and selling RC Gear.

[url="//www.rcmungo.com"]www.rcmungo.com[/url]

Craft: RE Decker 180, RE X1, HK Thorax, Hubsan X4, Q4
FC: Naze32, Flip32, Sparky, CC3D, SP Racing F3
VRX: RCD T-Box - 40 Channel Diversity

Calomile

I had noticed some folk with mini quads running with just the gnd and signal wires on their ESC cables and wondered why... That';ll explain it then!
I reverse polarities for fun.

teslahed

Many people only use the signal wire from their ESCs so that they can use a separate UBEC which can be more reliable. Not because of any voltage problems.

But if you did have 12 amp V3 afro';s then it would make sense to use a separate UBEC and just use the signal wires from the ESCs as you describe.

The.Quadfather

Quote from: teslahed on Sunday,June 29, 2014, 14:28:43
I have heard that the newest 12 amp ultra lite (v3) Afro ESCs have shipped with the wrong voltage regulator on them;

The BEC give out 6 volts and not 5 volts.

This means that if you use them to power your acro Naze 32 there is a good chance you';ll let the magic smoke out. Acro Naze 32';s don';t like much more than 5 volts going in.

the stm32 devices (+ all sensors) used on Naze are all 3.3v, so there';s going to be another regulator onboard anyway

it depends on whether the FC onboard regulator is OK with 6v or not

might be a problem with USB tho';

teslahed

Quote from: The.Quadfather on Sunday,June 29, 2014, 15:54:43 it depends on whether the FC onboard regulator is OK with 6v or not

It';s not - 5.5 is the maximum recommended.

The.Quadfather

Quote from: teslahed on Sunday,June 29, 2014, 20:29:06
It';s not - 5.5 is the maximum recommended.

eek!

so long as the regulator cries enuf and doesn';t pass the voltage on to the rest of the components, should be not too tricky to fix!

funnily enuf, I recently noticed my fav 3.3v regulator was also only specced up to 5.5v which was a suprise

I think this is far more of a issue for KK2 boards where the uC is directly connected to the ESC BEC circuit
just hope that peeps read the spec on the HK page....

kilby

The regulators on the boards are denoted by the following (quoting timecop)

"DE=???" marking = RT9193 = 5.5V max.
IL|xx marking = SPX3819 = 16V max
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

tony

im using new afro esc and it flew fine now just cheeked hn web and it has this now

**Current stock is shipped with 5V BEC. Some Afro12 where shipped with a 6V BEC, as most flight controllers and receivers can accept this voltage this should not be a problem, but if you are having issues with the 6V BEC and compatibility please contact our customer service team to have a voltage step down adapter shipped to you free of charge.

kilby

Update:

According to timecop any naze after 10th Aug has the updated regulator (up to 16v)

The Hobbyking versions are also 16v
Taranis+

teslahed

Well that should save a few hobbyking noobs from frying their boards. I';ll be checking mine when i get home now too!

Nice one timecop! (and thanks for the info Kilby :smiley:)

I assume this means you can send up to 16 V in at the ESC / motor pins before it fries - so you can run it directly off of 3 cells effectively, if you wanted to?

kilby

Apparently he was assembling 3000 Acro Naze a month,  he probably had a huge stock of the lower voltage regulators to get rid of ;)
Taranis+

Panther

Only found this thread yesterday so I thought I better check mine out.
I bought mine in December 2014 and have been flying it regularly since then. I can';t see V3 anywhere on the Afros.
I checked with a multimeter and the output is 5 volts so it looks like I am OK. (well I must be, it has been flying for months)
Quad is a 250 with D4R2 in CPPM and Acro Naze. Multistar Baby Beast motors. (really like them)
Anyway, thanks for the heads-up.