Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Tuesday,April 30, 2024, 06:50:56

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,196
  • Latest: Skyflix
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 18
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

FPV camera... On a gimbal or static?

Started by Amorgos, Sunday,December 29, 2013, 00:15:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Amorgos

Built my quad and had my first FPV test runs today. I have a quad with a GoPro on a gimbal and it';s my only camera currently but I intend to have two. The second will be bolted on and not on a gimbal.

My question is intended really for the people who are flying quads for video footage as a main reason really...

Do you prefer flying FPV using the static camera or the gimbal camera?

It';s very early days for me in FPV, but I thought that flying today using the GoPro on the gimbal felt like I didn';t really know exactly what the quad was doing and I felt a bit uneasy about it. My early non-FPV tests I could clearly see exactly how much I was banking and how much it was suffering in the wind. With a camera on a gimbal it';s so steady I feel like i have to take my goggles off and make sure it';s all ok!! If that makes sense.

n506

I prefer to have fpv on a hard mounted camera for exactly the reasons you mention when flying through goggles.

For filming type shots I';d tend to fly the quad line of sight but have a monitor for reference of what the gopro is shooting, rather than using goggles. If I were to use fpv while filming I';d fly a hard mounted camera and the gopro on the gimbal running through a video switcher. That way I could flick back and forth depending on which I wanted at the time. And if the gopro froze up, or the battery failed, I';d only be a flick of a switch from a more reliable video feed.

Biffa

Most people would agree that a fixed camera for FPV is the best way.

You know exactly what the aircraft is doing and how it';s behaving,  as you mention viewing from a gimbal gives a more sterile experience.
Steve

fruitsalad

fixed cam my choice too..
can see every movement from me or the wind..
dont grow up,just buy bigger toys!!!!

Hands0n

Excellent that you';ve maidened in FPV  :cool:  It is a thrilling experience, unparalleled.

I';ve not flown with a gimbal yet - but my experience to date with a GoPro as the FPV and recording camera has been a complete success in my opinion.  As others have said, the experience is less sterile and more immersive when you know what the aircraft is doing.

Gimbal for movie-class shots are great, if that is what you';re trying to achieve but it isn';t in my own particular case.  Typically, out of 40 minutes of video I generally find that there is sufficient material for a 2 - 3 minute YouTube  ~~
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Gav

Fixed cam is better or you can quickly lose your bearings if fpv';ing through the gimbalised camera.  Although saying that I always fpv my naza 450 via live out of the gopro on a brushless gimbal.   2 things that make it possible for me  : quad with naza and gps is amazingly stable and on mine the tips if the landing legs come into shot so I can see the angle of my quad via legs moving around even though the camera is always level.  If I have no reference of the airframe angle, then woooo it is scary even more so if using a flight controller without gps or in manual mode.
Cheers
Gav

nub

fixed i would have thought, it would be weird and hard to judge your movements otherwise, suppose if your just flying about slowly it would be fine.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Amorgos

Quote from: Gav on Sunday,December 29, 2013, 10:59:27
Fixed cam is better or you can quickly lose your bearings if fpv';ing through the gimbalised camera.  Although saying that I always fpv my naza 450 via live out of the gopro on a brushless gimbal.   2 things that make it possible for me  : quad with naza and gps is amazingly stable and on mine the tips if the landing legs come into shot so I can see the angle of my quad via legs moving around even though the camera is always level.  If I have no reference of the airframe angle, then woooo it is scary even more so if using a flight controller without gps or in manual mode.
Cheers
Gav

Thanks Gav. I found flying today again pretty nervy. I';m almost scared to use the rudder/aileron too much with goggles on. I';m also having trouble with distance perception as well which adds to it. I guess it will come in time.

I';m going to buy a static CCD camera probably either a Sony or or one of those FatShark ones.

Leigh

The only way I would feel comfortable flying FPV multirotor on a gimbal camera would be if it was mounted on top of the craft where I could see the front two arms as a frame of reference and perhaps with an OSD that has horizon markings on it to keep me in check - otherwise what others have described above would scare me! 
Aussie on the loose in Belfast.

Hands0n

Quote from: Amorgos on Sunday,December 29, 2013, 23:14:04
Thanks Gav. I found flying today again pretty nervy. I';m almost scared to use the rudder/aileron too much with goggles on. I';m also having trouble with distance perception as well which adds to it. I guess it will come in time.

I';m going to buy a static CCD camera probably either a Sony or or one of those FatShark ones.

Why not try mounting the camera you have somewhere static on your multi-rotor and leave the gimbal empty. At least that way you can try the fixed view for yourself ahead of buying anything specific for purpose. It';ll give you a pretty solid taster of the differences of flying each.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

flybywire

If your prime motive is videography, the gimbal cam wins hands down.  I had a Seawolf attached to the servo gimbal on my CX4, so I saw what the GoPro was seeing.  Now I';ve swapped it for a H3-2D gimbal, which will be even better.  It';s great to be able to see what your filming.  The icing on the cake is having a second camera, purely for fpv.  The dji iOSD has a built in switcher for this very purpose!  Belt and braces.  :wack0

Andy
Blog: [url="http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff"]http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff[/url]
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

dp106

Quote from: flybywire on Monday,December 30, 2013, 15:34:37
If your prime motive is videography, the gimbal cam wins hands down.  I had a Seawolf attached to the servo gimbal on my CX4, so I saw what the GoPro was seeing.  Now I';ve swapped it for a H3-2D gimbal, which will be even better.  It';s great to be able to see what your filming.  The icing on the cake is having a second camera, purely for fpv.  The dji iOSD has a built in switcher for this very purpose!  Belt and braces.  :wack0

Andy
hobbyking do a video switcher cheap as chips, mines still in my tool box waiting for me to wire it up

Quote from: flybywire on Monday,December 30, 2013, 15:34:37

Andy