Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 13:30:51

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 23
Total: 24

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Taranis Telemetry -X8R / Smartbus - FrSky - Modules & FAQ

Started by Jumpy07, Monday,December 23, 2013, 12:47:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumpy07

The new X8R, (X6R, X4R), receiver that most people use with the Taranis has a new "Smartbus" port for a  new range of telemetry devices.. these are the sensors available so far.. 

PLEASE NOTE: To enable telemetry the X8R needs to be bound in D16 mode (mode 5)

Vario Sensor
There are two versions of this, high and low sensitivity. The High Sensitivity Vario can also be used as a gateway device to the old telemetry sensor hub and telemetry sensors. (The Data in and out ports connect to old telemetry Hub)

Lipo Voltage Sensor
1-6s, plugs into balance cable, at the moment you can only use one sensor,  but new firmware is in the wings to allow two sensors to be used at the same time.
Specification:
Dimension: 35×23×6mm
Weight: 6g
Measurement range: 2S to 6S (6 to 25V)
Power consumption: 25mA@5V
Voltage display resolution: 0.01V
Voltage detection precision: 0.05V
Operating temperature: 10-70 degrees C
Pixel: 128 x 64 OLED Screen
Compatibility: FrSky Smart Port enabled receivers, such as X8R, X6R, X4R, etc.

*NB. Two x FLVSS connected via S.PORT can detect 12S voltages.

FrSky Smart Port to UART Converter w/2 ADC ports Remote
There are two versions of this.. one for the X8R and one for the XJT, the type B is for the X8R. This module also can be configured as an Analogue to Digital Converter.. so you can use the old style Voltage Sensors, these are just voltage dividers. This is the best way to get voltage monitoring working . . for APM users this could also be used to allow Mavlink telemetry to be shown on the Taranis, or to show GPS information etc..

Product Functions:
1. Serial port Data-Transmission at S.Port BUS.
2. Analog Signal AD input via S.Port.
Specifications:
Mode: SP2UART
Operational Voltage: DC 4 -10 V
Weight: 3g
Size: 44mmX15mmX7mm
Current Draw: 20mA @5V
Operating Temperature Range: -40 to 85C
UART Definition & Data-Transmission:
Baud Rate: 300 bps (default), 8N1, no parity.
The Baud Rate is possible to reconfiguration within 300bps, 600bps, 1200bps, 2400bps, 4800bps, 9600bps.
Capacity: Normal capacity (Mode 1) and High capacity (Mode 2)
To Enable Data-transmission at S.PORT BUS, the Host (Type A) and Remote (Type B) devices are requiring use as pair and set in same Capacity Mode.
Here we take the example by XJT module and X8R receiver to introduce how to Data-transmission at S.Port BUS:
- We definition the Host (Type A) is connect with XJT by S.Port, Remote (Type B) is connect with S.Port of X8R receiver.
(The Mode A and Mode B position is exchangeable)
- When input data from Type B UART port will output the same data at Type A UART port. Vice versa.
Obtain AD analog input via X8R & SP2UART adapter:
Because the X8R receiver does not have a built-in the AD port you cannot connect the simple voltage monitoring sensors directly to the X8R .. but now, you can, through this adapter.

Manual: [attachurl=1]

[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]

Smart Port Support Current Sensor40A FCS-40A - Current Sensor
Specifications
Dimension: 61.2×16.7×13.2mm
Weight: 17g
Maximum battery voltage: 6S
Measurement range: 0~40A
Maximum safe current: 40A
Current consumption: 25mA@5V

GPS Sensor V2
Specifications:
Mode: GPS sensor (V2)
Interface: S.PORT
Operational Voltage: DC 4 -10 V
Weight: 11.3g
Current Draw: 80mA @5V
Sensitivity: -160dBm
Operating Temperature Range: -40 to 85C
Date Rate: 1Hz
Antenna: Built-in patch
Time to fix: 30s cold
Speed Accuracy: Approx 0.1m/s
Position Accuracy: Approx 2.5m CEP
Dimensions: 40 x 20 x 9mm (L x W x H)
Operation Limits: Dynamics 4g /Altitude 50,000m /Velocity 500m/s

The GPS should be mounted with Velcro in your model so that the "UP" side is facing toward the sky.

FrSky GPS Sensor (V2) - feeds variable directional information such as: Altitude, position, speed, and UTC time etc., which is displayed in real time on FrSky Transmitter or telemetry dashboard (DHT-U/FLD-02/FSD etc.)

NOTE: Each smart port telemetry device has an ID, when FrSky started releasing these devices there were changes to the default numbers assigned.
This is the list I have from current 2014 devices.
LIPO Sensors: 2
GPS: 4
Current Sensors: 3
Vario: 1

If you are using more than one lipo sensor you will have to change the ID of one of them, also if its running firmware prior to V1.2 you will have to update the firmware..

Will update this list as more become available..

These are available from T9HobbySport, Goodluckbuy and Hobbyking..

BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

Jake Bullit

Just ordered Lipo Voltage Sensor x4 from Robotbirds. ;)
T9 wasn`t showing any stock.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Jumpy07

New current sensor released..  150amp

[attachimg=1]

Jake Bullit

Do you know how to set alarms using the FLVSS sensor with X8R?
Values for 4 and 3S?

Cheers :frantic:
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

shumifan50

The problem with the docs on all these smartport sensors is that none of them state whether they are capable of connecting multiple sensors to a single receiver; ie can I connect a GPS V2 and a voltage sensor to a single X8R receiver?

Is it possible to share a GPS module between the X8R and a MultiWii flight controller. It seems wasteful to have 2 x GPS modules to enable RTH on the flight controller and another to enable telemetry. The telemetry might be useful in case a a fly-away.

barneyg

if you check the MW boards you will see people are working on a MW to smart port protocol ... it already works for the older frsky telemetry protocol.

Jimbodiddly

Liking the new 150a current sensor that will help a lot with bigger multi-rotors.. will have to investing one soon.

Jim

al-xg

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/amp-to-frsky-x8r-sport-converter?id=705844%3ATopic%3A1539556&page=4#comments

I don';t really follow MW but it looks like the SmartPort is fairly well understood and that you could create a hub for a number of sensors or data from the flight controller and then send it  to the X8R.

Jumpy07

I managed to get two lipo sensors working together to monitor 2 x 6S packs on my Hex..

Had to update firmware on both to latest version.. using FrSky SPORT upgrade tool....then change the channels on one of the lipo sensors using the FrSky S.Port tool. Also upgraded the GPS firmware, the Vario and the X8R while I was at it.

Cel reading now alternates between the two Lipos on the telemetry screen and have set alarms (one alarm fro both packs)

You need an FDD_lite or similar and a diode to upgrade them.. but pretty straight forward..

Diagram for DIY adapter.

[attachimg=1]

Smart Port Sensors on my HEX.. 2 x FPVSS, 1 x GPS, 1 x Vario

[attachimg=2]

Jimbodiddly

bunnygirl80

Always smile because you never know who could be falling in love with it. :) Drone Operator in North Wales. [url="//www.aerialworx.co.uk"]www.aerialworx.co.uk[/url]

Buzzy

This is probably not as stupid a question as I think. I';ve just finished building my first quad from scratch and now that I';ve actually managed to fly it for about half an hour I';ve started adding telemetry ';gizmos'; for no other reason than I want to convince myself that I can do it and understand how it works.

I';m using a Taranis X9D Plus, an X8R  (S. Bus) and a Naze32 Rev6 FC. The ESCs are basis 12A SimonK with BEC and the motors EMax MT2204 2300Kv. I';m using a selection of 3S batteries (novelty for me - I used to fly just DJI Phantoms and battery choice was ';to clone or not to clone';).

I used a PDB with built in BECs and disconnected the ESC red wires; the X8R is powered from the Naze which takes its 5V direct from the BEC on the PDB.

I';m using Cleanflight, Open-TX and MVOSD. I have a camera and transmitter for FPV and might use my GoPro as well, but have not fitted either yet.

I';m running  FrSKY GPS and LiPo sensors off the X8R';s S.Port and they are both showing on the Taranis. ::)

I have put LEDs and use the Naze to make them look flash (pun intended). I';ve also fitted sonar. My quandary is:  the motor pins 5&6 on the Naze are now connected to the PDB for power in (5) and to the LEDs (6) to power them.

I could solder the power cable for the sonar to the PDB';s 5V BEC output, but it';s getting a bit cluttered round thers as the PDB is tiny, or could I not just use one of the many free connections on my X8R (I';m using S.Bus, remember)? I';ve checked the voltage and its 5V, of course.

I do have some spare 5V BECs doing nothing and I';m not too weight-conscious as this is just a learning exercise.

Any advice and the reasons for doing it a certain way would be greatly appreciated. :notworthy:

Buzzy

In the absence of any advice, I decided that my best option was to fit another PDB with built in BECs giving me 5 & 12V outputs. I connected a Sony FPV camera and transmitter using a 450mAh 3S battery and also connected the power cables for the LEDs and Sonar to it.

It';ll also power the MinimOSD. I';ll fit a cheap buzzer/low voltage alarm to the small battery. I already have a buzzer fitted to the Naze for lost model and low battery warning purposes.

I';m now trying to work out how to use the S.Port GPS as part of the Return To Home function. I';m sure the answer is out there, I';m just having difficulty finding the right keywords. :hmm:  :help:

Apart from fitting a current sensor, I don';t think there is anything else I could add. ::)

Powernumpty

It sounds like you are trying to gather together the functions that are standard for some flight controllers and retro fit them to the naze.

I don';t think the GPS data or any other telemetry data from the FrSky smart port is useable by the Naze so it will not be able to RTL.

If you had a GPS that is compatible with the Naze, and firmware that is good with the GPS (which I don';t think is all of them) then you';d have a better shot.

I wonder if an inexpensive 450 sized quad with APM/Pixhawk type FC would be a better base to test things on.
The FrSky telemetry items won';t be any less than the bits that work together well with APM.
You could fit a small format APM to the small quad but that is more like fitting a woodburner in a standard car.
RTL relies on having enough battery left to get home, how long is your current flight time, and how often would you think of an issue with enough time to use RTL?
I know it is partly for learning but learn on something that allows you to fully use what you have learnt and more.

kilby

You can simply connect a regular GPS puck to the Naze and from memory the coordinates will be passed through to the Taranis via s-port.

However GPS is currently pointless on cleanflight and Baseflight, I believe there is a forked version but 3 months or so ago it was prone to being inconsistent.

If you want a smaller controller format that can do for (and provide all the telemetry you could ever want) the PixRacer comes to mind (use the adaptor lead listed earlier)

Though other options do exist

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

Buzzy

Quote from: Powernumpty on Sunday,August 21, 2016, 20:35:00
It sounds like you are trying to gather together the functions that are standard for some flight controllers and retro fit them to the naze.

I wonder if an inexpensive 450 sized quad with APM/Pixhawk type FC would be a better base to test things on.
The FrSky telemetry items won';t be any less than the bits that work together well with APM.
You could fit a small format APM to the small quad but that is more like fitting a woodburner in a standard car.

I have bought an APM and was deciding what I could do with it.  :hmm:

What is the point of a FrSky GPS if it can';t be part of a RTH/RTL or position hold programme? I';m sure it';s not just to be able to make pretty patterns with Google Earth after a flight or give the last known position of a failed task. I watched Lee Schofield';s (Painless 360) YouTube video on the FrSky GPS but he doesn';t say how to incorporate it in a RTH system. I can see that it could be useful providing warnings of excess height or distance.

I have twice landed my 250 some distance away because I had no idea which direction it was pointed and didn';t want to lose it in trees. My Phantom has RTH and I';ve used that ';in anger'; more than once. As I rarely run my batteries really low, I';d imagine that in almost every instance I';ll have enough power to employ RTL. If I didn';t, then I';d be in trouble anyway as it wouldn';t be able to get back even under full control.

I';m currently spending far more time learning and altering all my machines than I am flying, but I';m still thoroughly enjoying every little ';victory';.  :smiley:

Buzzy

Quote from: kilby on Sunday,August 21, 2016, 22:41:21
You can simply connect a regular GPS puck to the Naze and from memory the coordinates will be passed through to the Taranis via s-port.

However GPS is currently pointless on cleanflight and Baseflight, I believe there is a forked version but 3 months or so ago it was prone to being inconsistent.

I do have a ';spare puck'; that came off a DJI Phantom2 but I have no idea how I';d go about connecting it to either my Naze32, CC3D or APM2.8.

I guess I';ll have to search all the forums and Open TX to see if anyone has managed it before. :shrug:

Powernumpty

If FrSky build a flight controller then the GPS smartbus could be used for RTH, maybe they will one day.
As for other systems I';m not sure there is any advantage as that would be taking data they can understand encoding it to one wire serial then decoding back to useable data introducing small time issues. I';m not saying it a non starter but native GPS is probably such a universal requirement right now there would have to be a greater incentive to add SmartPort (with any IP and updating firmware issues).

I';d hold onto your thoughts and maybe lay out a spec for a plug and play modular system but while that is in the works use the APM. BTW I thought FrSky';s Google earth squigles were nice until I tried the APM ones, much nicer..

Fair enough on the RTH uses, just "point the nose at me" would probably be enough for small quads no?

kilby

Quote from: Buzzy on Tuesday,August 23, 2016, 13:57:18
I do have a ';spare puck'; that came off a DJI Phantom2 but I have no idea how I';d go about connecting it to either my Naze32, CC3D or APM2.8.

I guess I';ll have to search all the forums and Open TX to see if anyone has managed it before. :shrug:

HandsOn has done some fighting with a Naze and GPS, a search or giving him a shout may yield some pointers.

As for GPS on smaller quads:

I like the thought of being able to "park" a small machine in the air and get some stable(ish) video (though that';s not such a requirement since I stopped club flying)

After 2 fly away machines anything that may mitigate the issue (or help me find the damn thing) is always appealing.

Though turn your tail towards me would be considerably more useful to beginners than turning the nose ;)
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+