Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 26, 2024, 11:43:07

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20
Total: 20

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Naza Setup on Turnigy 9X

Started by johnrs, Friday,September 28, 2012, 10:41:05

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrs

Morning

My Naza + GPS arrived yesterday and I have a little go at setting it up last night.  Sorted the power issue by soldering the VU power leads to the PDB.  Installed the software and drivers and all is working there.  Plugged it all in and the naza updated and all seems ok. 

I have been able to calibrate the sticks ok, but what I am not sure of is how to set the 3 pos switch to fail safe etc

The switch is labelled AUX 3 F Mode.  I have got chan 6 to U on the Naza, but not sure what I need to do next.

found this link which seemed very good but the menus are a little different

http://youtu.be/FMMk7LVjigU

anyone able to help.
Thanks
John
New to Quads but loving it

My YouTube Channel

Techie-Review

Balders

welcome to the owners club :)

I don't have that sort of Tx, but I set my dx6i switch positions after youtubing dx6i naza failsafe...I'll see if I can find the one that helped me most, but basically, on the Dx6i you don't have any 3 position switches, so you set a 2 position switch (ie idle up or flight mode as it's called on dx6i) to go from atti to GPS (or in my case manual and GPS...I'll explain why in a minute) and then you create a mix in the radio to mix in another switch (in my case one of the mix switches) to then move the software indicator to the desired position (ie failsafe).

The reasons I have mine set to manual and GPS switchable are:

- atti performs exactly like GPS mode apart from it can wonder around when you take hands off sticks

- you need to be able to switch rapidly between manual and GPS mode to program the compass

- if you are used to flying, atti just feel anaemic. I didn't like it at all.
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

johnrs

Thanks for your help

I brought my stuff to work, but the beeping is a little loud in the office  :(

My YouTube Channel

Techie-Review

Balders

Not sure if this is the one I used but start with this and watch a few.  Does your Tx have a three position switch?

http://youtu.be/ZAV48Fp81oQ

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

johnrs

its has a 3 pos switch.  Its labelled AUX 3  F Mode

My YouTube Channel

Techie-Review

Balders

currently, when you move the switch between it's three positions when all plugged in to the VU, does the bottom slider on assistant move at all?  If not I would suspect the switch is inhibited in the radio...you may need to go activate it first off, and then play around with the travel adjustment on the Tx til it starts moving to where you want it to be.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

johnrs

Looks like I might need to use channel 7.  Think I am going to have to wait till I get home now.  Beeping is pissing a few people off  :whistling:

Why is nothing simple

The video I posted at the top has the controller in heli mode.  Is that bad?

My YouTube Channel

Techie-Review

sausageroll

All you need to do is make sure the switch you wanna use (flap or gear) is coming out to the right channel on the RX,  i plug a servo in and then you can see it move and confirm its the right one. Make sure that is patched into the right intput on the naza. (U)

You should then see the slider thing move about on the mode select as you switch your switches. Go into the settings on your transmitter and adjust the end position to get the pointer thingy under GPS, then adjust the other end to get it under failsafe.

Then look for a video on youtube showing you how to setup three positions with a mix switch, and you can faff about with that and get the slider to sit under the Atti or Manual button.

Bear in mind you need to be able to flick between GPS and manual a few times to calibrate the compass, so if you dont want to use manual, set it up first and then claibrate the compass, then put it back to how you want.

On both mine I have GPS Atti Failsafe. on my DX6, which no three position switch, I have one switch (gear) set up to switch between GPS and 'OTHER SWITCH' then i have the other switch select between Atti and fail. If i have the other switch set to fail, when I flick the GPS switch, it goes into fail. Its quite a good system really.

Hope this helps, ask one of us in the chat if your having any more problems, if you get really desperate il PM you my phone number you can ring me about it.

Pete.

sausageroll

Oh also Johnrs, note that on the Spektrum radios, the gear and flap switches appear not to work when the radio is in HELI mode, and must be in ACRO mode. Very annoying as I have an ugly little picture of a plane rather than a nice helicopter on my TX but oh well.

It could be the Turnigy is the same. I think the best thing would be to plug a servo into the output your expecting to work and fiddle with the radio until you can get the servo to move reliably. Then you will now the data is coming out and you can go on from there...

Pete.

johnrs

I have now followed the video in my first post and have setup a new profile on my TX have have got the 3 pos switch to work now.  WIll heli mode work ?

I have pos 1 - GPS mode
pos 2 - Atti mode
pos 3 - failsafe - This is the failsafe between GPS and A.

Whats the difference between the 2 failsafes shown

EDIT - just ready that I might have a problem with swash mix

My YouTube Channel

Techie-Review

sausageroll

I don't think there is a difference, it's just so it's easy and convenient to get I to select fail. I think the dead space between the options are all fs too....

johnrs

OK.  I am going to try it in heli mode tonight when I get back and see how I get on.

To use the F Mode I need to setup the mix (no idea what that mean)

My YouTube Channel

Techie-Review

sausageroll

You may not need to with the turnighy, depends I'd it has a three position switch. The dx6 only has two positions which is why you need the mix function.

johnrs

Daft question.  The 3 position switch I have set is GPS, Atti and FS.

If I flick the switch into GPS, is that GPS hold ?
In Atti mode is that just flying about mode and I assume FS will just fly back home.

Is the FS for when your transmitter dies automatic ?  If I try that when its connect to the software I see the switch change position but nothing happens with I power my TX off

My YouTube Channel

Techie-Review

sausageroll

The Naza handles GPS and Hold slightly differently to most. GPS is a flying mode, rather than GPS hold. It uses the GPS information to guide itself in the air, so if you push the stick forward, rather tahn trying to go forward and the pilot having to compensate to actually get it to go forward, with GPS it moves forward with the GPS position and the compass. If you let go of the sticks, so the right stick and the rudder spring to centre, it will hold its XY position. The altitude, done by the throttle, will hover when the stick is at half. If the stick is lower than half, it will descend, if it is higher than half, it will climb. To get GPS hold you just set the stick in the middle and let go of the other stick and it will hold its position. To move forward you just pus the elevator forward and it will go exclusively forward. If you want to go up, you just gie it some throttle and it will climb up like a lift, locked in its XY position but will go up in a straight line.

My multsi are so big and expensive, I dont fly in anything other than GPS mode, as im not into sport flying or anything, I just want the safest most stable way of positioning the platform in the air, im not 100 percent certain about Atti mode but it is my understanding that Atti mode holds the altitude, (same as before, mid stick is hold altitude, above and below are climb and descend respectivly) but the elevator, aileron and rudder are all on manual mode.

The FS switch is mainly for the satisfaction of watching it land itself, in times when you panic and feel your going to crash and you dont want to play anymore, or if something happens that you have to deal with, like a bull standing right next to you in the flying field etc.

Your Turnigy probably does do preset failsafes, but you would hve to set it up so that in the falesafe state on the receiver, it drives the mode switch 'servo' to the FS position. On the spektrum stuff, you do this by binding it with the switches in the desired fail safe position, but as previously mentioned, this info is only stored and used on some spektrum receivers. The turnigy stuff seems pretty feature packed, so the chances are you have it.

If not, and you only have preset failsafes on the throttle, which is the standard spektrum failsafe, then set the throttle just below half so when the TX dies, it will automatically descend and land. just bear in mind when it does this it wont throttle down it will just sit on the ground with the rotors spinning, and it may hold last stick command, so if your flying forwards when it dies, it may well carry on flying forwards - this is the reason why preset failsafes are so important.

Hope this helps,

Pete

johnrs

Its slowly starting to sink in  ::)

I have seen a fail safe section on my TX and everything is set at NOR

Thanks for your help

My YouTube Channel

Techie-Review

Balders

Just a quick reply to your original question (sure it's covered in the comprehensive answer above but to be succinct)

Power off failsafe is NOT the same as switch failsafe.

You MUST setup your Tx/Rx to go to your predefined SWITCH position.  Some Tx's only allow you preset STICK positions (ie throttle low, bit of elevator, bit of rudder in the hope of circling and picking up a signal).  The Naza is driven by switch position.

If you don't set it and switch the Tx off, chances are it'll fall out of the sky.

Very easy to check though with the assistant software.  Took me a few minutes to figure it out with the aid of some youtubing.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

sausageroll

Yeah, although this is a feature of the receiver, not the transmitter. Obviously if it looses radio with the transmitter, its the receivers job to throw the 'servo' to the predefined position. My DX6 and AR8000 can do it, but not all spektrum receivers do it. I cant speak of other manufacturers, but they almost certainly will do.