Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,April 20, 2024, 15:40:40

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 22
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

My Discovery replacement - The QAV400

Started by SimonS, Saturday,July 06, 2013, 16:34:48

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonS

Well a box arrived from the US of A this week and I have spent the last couple of days putting it (temporarily) together.

It is a QAV400. When it is complete it will have a CC3D controller but that is still to arrive so just to give it a quick test I stuck a Naza onto it and some very mankey unbalanced props. For those that have not seen the QAV400, 500 or 540G before these quads are split into two sections.  The lower ';dirty'; section consists of the motors, arms, esc';s and two plates one of which is the power distribution board.

All the other electronics (flight controller, Rx, Vtx cameras OSD etc) are on the upper ';clean'; section and the two parts are connected with four orange bobbins which prevent any vibration getting to the clean section.  I have not done a blow by blow build post but if you want to see how it goes together the there is an excellent build manual at http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2013/02/26/qav400-manual/

The first impressions are very good. Despite the props there is no jello. The suspension bobbins do a really good job of separating the two sections of the quad.

The QAV-400 is the baby of the three and as the name suggests is 400mm motor to motor across the diagonal so the size is somewhat smaller than a Discovery.  The other two follow that same naming convention and the 540G, like the Discovery Pro has a brushless gimbal but is already shipping.

To give you an idea of what you can do with this quad (if you have the skill!!):- FPV - blossom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUYVc7Ig-_VcnjjGshclLpQg?rel=0&v=kVbyrxZcSLA#at=13

FlyinMarty

Nice, really clever design splitting the quad into two sections.
Blade Nano QX
Immersion Vortex 285
 Blade mCPx Heli

SimonS

The CC3D flight controller has arrived and it was flown this morning.  This thing is quicker than a Cheetah on acid!!!!

QAV400 CC3D Maiden flight on Vimeo

This will take some getting used to after the Naza.  Everything happens more than twice as quickly! The climb rate is around 2500 ft/min.

QAV400
CC3D
Tigermotor 2216 900kv
ProflightUK 30a SimonK esc';s
RCTimer 8x4.5 slowflight props (yeah right!)
4s 3350mAh

Total weight ready to fly with Gopro, FPV camera and VTx is 1425g

Jumpy07

Nice Simon.. I think these frames are much better that the TBS Discover..   will be interested to hear how you get on with the CC3D

BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

nub

Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Cozp83

looking good dude. im just about done building a iconic x fpv, which is really similar.
If YOU can fly it, I CAN crash it.

Gaza07

[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

artadams

SimonS - I was on the fence about my next build, you have convinced me to make the QAV 400 my next build. Thanks!

hoggdoc

Quote from: SimonS on Thursday,July 11, 2013, 18:03:54
The CC3D flight controller has arrived and it was flown this morning.  This thing is quicker than a Cheetah on acid!!!!

QAV400 CC3D Maiden flight on Vimeo

This will take some getting used to after the Naza.  Everything happens more than twice as quickly! The climb rate is around 2500 ft/min.

QAV400
CC3D
Tigermotor 2216 900kv
ProflightUK 30a SimonK esc';s
RCTimer 8x4.5 slowflight props (yeah right!)
4s 3350mAh

Total weight ready to fly with Gopro, FPV camera and VTx is 1425g

Good Morning from across the pond,

Wow you were not kidding when you said it is fast.  I recently tried a HK KK2.0 board on my DJI F450 having removed the NAZA to put it on another build.  You are correct it was at least twice as fast, but in the case of the KK 2.0 board nearly uncontrollable.

When flying your setup, would you compare it to flying the NAZA in Assist mode only faster?  Does the CC3D board have an auto level function which returns the craft to level flight when the sticks are put in to a neutral position.  The reason I ask is I have been looking for another FC that is easy to fly, but does not hamper the overall performance of the multi.

I see you changed from the Discovery to the QAV400, do you mind sharing why you made that move.  I have been looking at both as my FPV platform.  What flight times are you getting with the 3300 battery?

Thanks,

HD
DJI F450, Naza-M w/GPS 3.14 FW FC, Spektrum 8000X RX, 5000 mAh 4S.
RCT 800 Hexa, Sunny Sky 4108 380 KV Motors, DJI 30 Amp ESCs, NAZA-M V1 w/GPS 3.14 FW, FPV Setup Spektrum 8000X RX, APC 14 x 5 Props, 1 or 2 5000mAh 4S batts, QuadFrame 2 Axis Gimbal, AeroXcraft Landing Gear, AEE 20 HD Camera, FPV

SimonS

Quote from: hoggdoc on Tuesday,July 16, 2013, 13:21:08
Good Morning from across the pond,

Wow you were not kidding when you said it is fast.  I recently tried a HK KK2.0 board on my DJI F450 having removed the NAZA to put it on another build.  You are correct it was at least twice as fast, but in the case of the KK 2.0 board nearly uncontrollable.

When flying your setup, would you compare it to flying the NAZA in Assist mode only faster?  Does the CC3D board have an auto level function which returns the craft to level flight when the sticks are put in to a neutral position.  The reason I ask is I have been looking for another FC that is easy to fly, but does not hamper the overall performance of the multi.

I see you changed from the Discovery to the QAV400, do you mind sharing why you made that move.  I have been looking at both as my FPV platform.  What flight times are you getting with the 3300 battery?

Thanks,

HD

I have tried a KK2 board and it was binned after (a) spinning up the props while in safe mode and nearly getting my fingers and (b) switching to safe mode while in flight with the inevitable necessity of replacement arms and props (and flight controller). This was firmware v1.5.

The CC3D has two modes the first of which I cannot remember the name of but the stick movement = angle of bank or pitch.  Return the stick to the centre and the quad will be level but not stationary as there is no GPS for position hold.  The other mode (rate mode) causes the stick movement to = rate of change. I.e. the more you move the stick the faster  the quad will roll or pitch and centring the stick causes the quad to maintain the current attitude.  The GUI allows you to alter the rate of roll/pitch in rate mode or max angle in the other mode.  The GUI has several ways of adjusting the PIDs. The basic mode is a simple slider from ';gentle'; through ';advanced'; to ';hooligan';. Other modes let you get deep enough into the PIDs if you want to but 2/3rds of the way from gentle to advanced works fine for me.  This gives a max angle of 85* or roll rate of 205* /sec.  Note that the CC3D has no baro sensor so you need to adjust the throttle accordingly to maintain altitude when changing attitude.

The CC3D is harder to fly than the Naza in ATTI mode (due to the lack of baro) but much easier than the KK2. How it compares to the Naza in manual I don';t know as I have not tried it in manual (yet).

I swapped from the Discovery as I felt that is was somewhat of a compromise.  I found it difficult to balance with a LiPo that gave reasonable endurance.  I also have some reservations about being seen to support someone who has such a blatant disregard for the law.  Moving their shipping outside the EU is also a negative step for all European purchasers.

I';m not certain of the battery endurance at the moment but that video was edited from about 11 minutes of footage and from memory the battery still had about 35% left.  The LiPo alarm had not sounded up to that point.

SimonS

The second outing with the QAV400.  Watch to the end for my first attempt at aero';s.  More practice needed!

QAV400 Take 2 on Vimeo

nub

looking good, that';s quite quick, getting a bit low there too :laugh:

so an aero is that just a back flip into descent?
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

benno

SimonS - I';m thinking about migrating my disco to a qav400, may I ask where you bought this from in the US and how was delivery time? (UK based stock is limited and seems a little pricey)

MrBen

getfpv are the producer and main distributor of the qav400 frame in the USA, however some chap on ebay UK sells em for about £145

nub

i bought mine from http://www.fpvizer.com/ in France, there';s also a guy that sells them on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lumenier-QAV400-FPV-Quadcopter-airframe-/331142933911?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4d19a82d97

don';t buy it from fpvgear there a rip off! wanting £200 for them what greed.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

benno

thanks for the info, watching the ebay sale at the moment - fpvisor is currently out of stock (price is roughly the same).

plan is to get new ESC';s (HK F30';s and flash with simonk), motor';s then strip the disco and migrate everything else to the QAV, then sell on the disco frame, plus ESC';s and motors in place.

Final question is motor';s could anyone recommend which motor';s to go for? (to be run off a 4s batteries).

nub

i';d go for the Sunnysky, Lumenier or Tiger motor 2216 1100kv';s, i run Sunnysky 2212 980kv';s on 4S and it';s underpowered IMO especially if your running Graupner props it takes about 70% throttle to get it to hover, and 50% with gemfans.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

BMcN

Quote from: nub on Wednesday,March 05, 2014, 21:23:17
i';d go for the Sunnysky, Lumenier or Tiger motor 2216 1100kv';s, i run Sunnysky 2212 980kv';s on 4S and it';s underpowered IMO especially if your running Graupner props it takes about 70% throttle to get it to hover, and 50% with gemfans.

Currently building an almost identical spec QAV400.  sunnysky 980kv, HK 30a ESCs with simonk and going with naza lite till we get a bit more confidence.

What props do you recommend then nub?  I had been recommended these:  http://flyduino.net/HQ-8x5-Carbon-verstaerkte-Propeller-Schw-Set-2-CW-und-2-CCW

nub

they look kind of like Graupners so may have the same kind of lift, it really depends on how your going to be flying it, if your just it easy they should be fine but if you want a little more pop try a set of 8x4.5 gemfan carbon reinforced props.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

fruitsalad

the QAV400 i got,running on tiger motors 2216-11 900kv
8x4.5 gemfan carbon reinforced props on 4s..
plenty of power and bloody speedy..
dont grow up,just buy bigger toys!!!!

benno

xxpitt

Quote from: BMcN on Wednesday,March 05, 2014, 21:51:22
Currently building an almost identical spec QAV400.  sunnysky 980kv, HK 30a ESCs with simonk and going with naza lite till we get a bit more confidence.

What props do you recommend then nub?  I had been recommended these:  http://flyduino.net/HQ-8x5-Carbon-verstaerkte-Propeller-Schw-Set-2-CW-und-2-CCW

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221247006384?var=520178050045&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

i use these on my qav400, buying graupners was becoming too expensive, and these are a nicer fit in my opinion

nub

those seem to be a bit more reasonably priced.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Ground Engineer

Im luvin this QAV400 quad but the cost of the frame is ridiculous £135 on ebay.
Frames: Blackout Mini H V2, TBS Disco, TBS Caipirinha,Tarot Ironman 650, Q450, Tricopter D.W design.
FC's: Naze 32 GPS, Naza M Lite GPS, APM2.5 GPS, KK2.1, KK
FPV: Skyzone FPV Goggles, GoPro Hero 3+ Black, Sony Super HAD 600 TVL

xxpitt

can get it the same in dollars from getfpv prop around £90 order some spare plates while ur at it, i';m on my 3rd set  :cry

xxpitt

actually its £164 works out as £98 plus $11 postage i think so looking at £105 prob best getting it off ebay for convenience

nub

Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.