User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Bad Raven: I would'nt know but obviously you have had the experience.....  :evil
    June 17, 2018, 13:08:09
  • shawdreamer: his boyfriend couldnt wait..... :whistling:
    June 17, 2018, 11:58:37
  • hoverfly: Keckon, is usually the result of typing with your mouth full. :whistling:
    June 16, 2018, 16:37:24
  • Bad Raven: Keckon???  Where did THAT come from??
    June 16, 2018, 16:13:17
  • Bad Raven: I keckon you have bootleg Domino's................  And HF , I ALWAYS give a tip, it's "don't upset me"....
    June 16, 2018, 16:08:46
  • DarkButterfly: Not sure why they're different colours :laugh:
    June 16, 2018, 13:19:02
  • hoverfly: Blue boxes are used to indicate to the delivery bloke they won't get a tip at that house.. :laugh:
    June 16, 2018, 09:07:42
  • Bad Raven: And on another more important matter, wny is your domino's box red, ours are blue!!!   :blink :laugh:
    June 16, 2018, 05:47:01
  • Bajadre: :laugh:
    June 15, 2018, 23:47:19
  • DarkButterfly: :laugh:
    June 15, 2018, 22:41:37
  • shawdreamer: oh it'll fly...... like a piece of 5hit with a big arse motor attached..... but it'll fly :laugh:
    June 15, 2018, 22:25:24
  • hoverfly: Superb,  :rofl:
    June 15, 2018, 22:14:50
  • DarkButterfly: :smiley:
    June 15, 2018, 21:02:23
  • DarkButterfly: Need to get some electronics on this and see if it flies [link]
    June 15, 2018, 21:02:14
  • atomiclama: I used the solder ones [link] as I do't have a crimp tool and should be able to reuse the connector if required
    June 15, 2018, 14:50:33
  • VaNDAL_UK: Nice one. I'm gonna go for it. just looking for the SMA connectors with the crips as Ive had a few break at the root.
    June 15, 2018, 14:44:53
  • atomiclama: these are my first attempts, got better since then [link]
    June 15, 2018, 10:57:11
  • atomiclama: Yeah could've got mine cheaper but wanted it in reasonable time. Go for it, It's rewarding to see something you have made yourself.
    June 15, 2018, 10:54:38
  • VaNDAL_UK: atomiclama: I was pricing up the cable 0.08 copper wire and SMA connectors came out to about £15 and I could have made 5 meters worth of antennas!
    June 15, 2018, 10:31:48
  • hoverfly: Betaflight RC1...Interesting  if you go to the O.S.D  settings and then change the font  by lining up the icons in the correct precise order then hit  enter,...... It opens up the  O.C.D.  screen. :smiley:
    June 15, 2018, 09:01:13

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Soldering iron  (Read 534 times)

Online mo_miah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 60
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
Soldering iron
« on: March 12, 2018, 14:28:10 »
I'm after a new electric soldering iron

Using a gas iron at the moment but it a bit too much for pcb work and a pain having to refill it

What is everyone using? would prefer a pencil type iron as space is an issue but wouldn't rule out a station completely

My budget is £50 but could be stretched if the iron is worth the little extra, but if theres plenty of good irons for cheap then thats even better, different size tips is a bonus as i need to do pcb work and solder xt60 plugs etc

Offline Gaza07

• Administrator
  • Liked: 729
    • Multi Rotor UK
Re: Soldering iron
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 14:43:17 »
Take a look at the Ts100 it can be run form varies types of power supply or lipo and has a good range of tips available, you have to buy the power cable separately if you want to run it from a lipo or use a laptop psu with the right plug

https://www.banggood.com/MINI-TS100-Digital-OLED-Programable-Interface-DC5525-Soldering-Iron-Station-Sapphire-Version-p-1211661.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

https://www.banggood.com/XT60-Male-Bullet-Connector-to-Male-DC-DC5525-Power-Cable-for-TS100-Electronic-Soldering-Iron-p-1219960.html?rmmds=detail-top-buytogether-auto__1&cur_warehouse=CN

It appears to have good reviews every where I check and ive bought one and it is a cracking iron although the ts1 tip that it comes with a to fine for large jobs its well worth getting a bigger tip for it  ~~
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 14:56:42 by Gaza07 »

Online mo_miah

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 15:08:55 »
Would prefer to buy one from the UK for electrical safety

Offline pheasant_plucker

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 151
  • I'm a ******!
    • RCModelFlyers (RCMF)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 15:11:27 »
I prefer two irons. The Antex XS25 for fine electronics work and a 70w antex for heavy jobbies. If you use a temperature controlled iron you don't have the mass to hold heat at the tip and therefore you have to hold the iron on longer. More time holding the iron on means more heat soak and potential damage.
You'll get both within your budget!

Gerry
The man serving me in the canteen said "Look, You can see the face of Jesus in the Margarine" The Asian guy next to me replied "I can't believe it's not Budda"
http://www.namfc.co.uk/pictures/fly.gif

Online mo_miah

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 15:59:42 »
thanks for the recommendations
i do like the antex irons, did have one many years ago, no idea where it disappeared off too
found the antex tcs230 online, its 50w with a digital temp control on the handle, anyone have any experience with that?

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 1077
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 16:53:53 »
http://uk.farnell.com/tenma/21-10115-uk/soldering-station-60w-220v-uk/dp/2064549?MER=bn_browse_1TP_MostPopular_1

The above is a good piece of kit, and "free delivery" the cable to the iron is very flexible and comfortable to use.
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Online mo_miah

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 19:46:25 »
Just seen the ts100 on amazon. Does look good though.  With maplins closing down they got sale on too

Offline Sweet Pickle

• Liked: 145
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 07:05:57 »
I've been soldering all my adult life and have used the cheapest to some very costly irons.
I have several at the moment with a now obsolete Metcal being my absolute first choice.
I needed a stocking filler for Christmas from the mother in law and fancied a portable jobbie for in the field.
The TS-100 was on sale on Banggood for about £37 in December so picked up one of the ones above.
I have to say for the money it's spot on. Doesn't quite heat up as fast as my Metcal but it's usable within about 20-30 seconds so all said and done pretty good. Haven't used it for anything as large as an XT60 yet but I suspect it will cope just fine. I just swapped over all my smaller batteries to XT30 and it blitzed through a dozen of those in quick smart time.

Offline Elmattbo

• Liked: 295
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 09:11:50 »
Just a quick word of caution on the ts100. If you use a mains powered dc supply you have to earth it to the pcu via the little earth connection on the top of the iron. Depending on the pcu (other people may understand this better) you can get an open circuit from the AC side that wants to ground somewhere - possibly through your delicate electronics. To get around this just use a Lipo, it’s less cumbersome and even one 4s 1300 will last ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline QuadFox

• Liked: 7
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 13:16:52 »
I'm nearly 40 and have used the very same Antex 18w iron since early high school for general work (and something no-name / more powerful for bigger joints).

Since doing more varied and delicate work I recently bought myself the Aoyue 9378 station from www.pcb-soldering.co.uk and a selection of chisel and conical bits. Very happy with it, I already had an Aoyue hot air rework station so felt happy with the brand. Would recommend, it's under £60 on its own. Rework stations are fantastic too, if you're not re-flowing and hacking EEPROM chips between car ECUs like I was, they double up as brilliant heat shrink tubing heat-guns!

While I love the Antex brand and apparent longevity of their basic irons, their own stations are ridiculously expensive for what they are.

Offline Bad Raven

• Liked: 577
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 09:58:12 »
While I love the Antex brand and apparent longevity of their basic irons, their own stations are ridiculously expensive for what they are.

I agree............ but................  ;)

I have just checked............... I have currently five differing sized/power irons (the largest has a 1" x 1" pyramid tip, wooden handle and original rubber not PVC cable, and when I got it I had to cut the 15A round pin plug off it, so guess how old it is!!) plus two differing instant guns plus two stations with irons.

The two differing Antex get the most use. Very fast to reach temp, very even temp control, long lasting tips.

Online mo_miah

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 11:03:53 »
ended up getting a hakko fx888d, slightly above budget, but its all the iron i'll ever need. £120 in the maplin sale
the station itself is very small and easily portable for when im working on the car outside
was very tempted by the ts100 but once you get the extra tips and a 24v dc adaptor the price starts geting close to the hakko, bonus of the hakko is that it uses 900m tips which are easy to get hold of