User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Bad Raven: I would'nt know but obviously you have had the experience.....  :evil
    June 17, 2018, 13:08:09
  • shawdreamer: his boyfriend couldnt wait..... :whistling:
    June 17, 2018, 11:58:37
  • hoverfly: Keckon, is usually the result of typing with your mouth full. :whistling:
    June 16, 2018, 16:37:24
  • Bad Raven: Keckon???  Where did THAT come from??
    June 16, 2018, 16:13:17
  • Bad Raven: I keckon you have bootleg Domino's................  And HF , I ALWAYS give a tip, it's "don't upset me"....
    June 16, 2018, 16:08:46
  • DarkButterfly: Not sure why they're different colours :laugh:
    June 16, 2018, 13:19:02
  • hoverfly: Blue boxes are used to indicate to the delivery bloke they won't get a tip at that house.. :laugh:
    June 16, 2018, 09:07:42
  • Bad Raven: And on another more important matter, wny is your domino's box red, ours are blue!!!   :blink :laugh:
    June 16, 2018, 05:47:01
  • Bajadre: :laugh:
    June 15, 2018, 23:47:19
  • DarkButterfly: :laugh:
    June 15, 2018, 22:41:37
  • shawdreamer: oh it'll fly...... like a piece of 5hit with a big arse motor attached..... but it'll fly :laugh:
    June 15, 2018, 22:25:24
  • hoverfly: Superb,  :rofl:
    June 15, 2018, 22:14:50
  • DarkButterfly: :smiley:
    June 15, 2018, 21:02:23
  • DarkButterfly: Need to get some electronics on this and see if it flies [link]
    June 15, 2018, 21:02:14
  • atomiclama: I used the solder ones [link] as I do't have a crimp tool and should be able to reuse the connector if required
    June 15, 2018, 14:50:33
  • VaNDAL_UK: Nice one. I'm gonna go for it. just looking for the SMA connectors with the crips as Ive had a few break at the root.
    June 15, 2018, 14:44:53
  • atomiclama: these are my first attempts, got better since then [link]
    June 15, 2018, 10:57:11
  • atomiclama: Yeah could've got mine cheaper but wanted it in reasonable time. Go for it, It's rewarding to see something you have made yourself.
    June 15, 2018, 10:54:38
  • VaNDAL_UK: atomiclama: I was pricing up the cable 0.08 copper wire and SMA connectors came out to about £15 and I could have made 5 meters worth of antennas!
    June 15, 2018, 10:31:48
  • hoverfly: Betaflight RC1...Interesting  if you go to the O.S.D  settings and then change the font  by lining up the icons in the correct precise order then hit  enter,...... It opens up the  O.C.D.  screen. :smiley:
    June 15, 2018, 09:01:13

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Simulators?  (Read 986 times)

Offline ched999uk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 606
Simulators?
« on: March 09, 2018, 20:46:26 »
OK so I am learning acro and I am very slow learning. I have been using FpvFreerider which is good but I don't really know if it has much resemblance to real flights.
So I was wondering if there were better sims that would be more realistic?

I don't really want to race just fly round and maybe a few flips and rolls.

Ideally not too processor/graphics intensive as it would be good to use on my i3-4000M 2.4Ghz 4Gb DDR3 Intel Graphics 4600 1.1Ghz 1.6Gb DDR3 Ram laptop running win7.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Offline Bad Raven

• Liked: 577
Re: Simulators?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 07:09:38 »
Have you got FPV Freerider or FPV Freerider Recharged?

I use "Recharged" a lot, also Drone Racing League's Sim, which has for freestylers a large landscape with docks, buildings to bomb, tunnels, woods, etc

Offline trebor

• Old boy
  • Liked: 122
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 08:51:45 »
I've seen that Recharge YouTube video but do they play that headbanging music as part of it ?  :banghead: Is there any good free ones ?   

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 10:15:43 »
No music if you want that.

Free? DRL used to be free before it went on Steam, but TBH all the free ones are disappointing at best and a waste of time likely to give false muscle memory at worst.

Kestrel FPV isn't bad I suppose, once you sort out the control set up.

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 11:13:44 »
Cheers. I use FPV Freerider not FPV Freerider Recharged. Is there much difference in the physics?
The DRL sim I tried out quite a while a go but I don't think my laptop is powerful enough to run the recent versions.
Suggestions don't have to be free versions, if there is a paid for one that is really good I might get funds to purchase it  ::)
Thanks

Offline Stactix

• Liked: 27
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 15:43:19 »
Recharged is pretty good, maps have a lot more in them, are bigger etc.
Velicodrome is still my favourite though, think there is a free trial.
Some great maps, soo many different race courses (15 maps and I think all have a couple of different track layouts) and it's good for both racing/freestyle.

Simulators most certainly help, Velicodrome taught me how to Split-S from not being able to do at all for real, to doing it by muscle memory. Aslong as you're using the transmitter you use to fly, you're constantly getting stick time that will most certainly translate with the real thing. 
Simply put, if you can't do something very well in a sim it's very unlikely you'll be able to flying for real but the sim then gives you that freedom to try whatever you want with no consequences.
It's far from perfect but it's worthwhile.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 15:56:10 »
As he ^^^^ says............

Go for Recharged, at its low cost I doubt very much you'll be disappointed.

Offline Reman

• Liked: 173
  • Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Repeat.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 16:17:28 »
I happily bought FPV Freerider after messing about with the demo for about 15 minutes. I don't even think I tried the demo of Recharged before handing over the $5 to get the full version.

As others have said, It's great to be able to get used to some of the more risky maneuvers while using your usual TX, And all without having to worry about the whole "Heavy impact halts playtime" senario.  ~~

........ I keep meaning to dig out my old games PC and install Freerider Recharged on it as that one's graphics card has a video out that I could plug straight into my Quanum V2 visor........ For more realism !  ::)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 16:24:07 by Reman »
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 20:05:41 »
Yup, I use a Min i HDMI12AV into a headset to "fly" using my Taranis.

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 20:37:56 »
I bought FPVFreerider Recharged and I am liking the desert level. A few good arches of different widths and heights to try and get through. Works fairly well on my laptop, even ok on full graphics mode.
My fingers are definitely getting better I can now fly round sort of where I want to go in Acro. More practice needed to pass through all the gates  :smiley:
I will keep trying to get at least 30 mins a day in.

Offline mitchell.atheis

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 05:26:31 »
I am able to run liftoff on my laptop with a i5 and only a integrated GPU. Lots of development still going into it also so still getting better.

Can input your Betaflight rates to give you as much of a like for like experience also which is handy

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 06:54:36 »
The thing I really dislike about LiftOff is its over restrictive flight area.  The visible scenery is far bigger than the "invisible boundary" flyable scenery and insufficient time is allowed to turn back for novices which makes it quickly very frustrating. Its OK to have tight boundaries when racing, but NOT in free explore!

Recharged allows you to go out into obvious beyond the edge no scenery territory without dumping you immediately back at the start.

DRL Sim offers the largest single flight area and quite a number of "Easter Eggs" which are fun to discover and fly, so I will not list.

Velocidrone has decent physics but poor graphics.

FAR too many of these Sims are not "encouraging" for novices. Rather than dump you back to start a "points loss" system for raw beginners would allow a better chance to fly for more than seconds and build confidence to set more real world conditions after the track is learned.

They are "built" by experienced flyers, almost for those who want online use rather than training, and so are not inclusive.

I have RDS, Velocidrone, DRL, HotProps, Airsports Quattro, KestrelFPV, LiftOff, FPVFreerider, FPV Freerider Recharged.  I use these with novice adults and my school club, and it is DRL (in its freefly landscape) and Recharged that get the most use and are the best by far for incoming novices.

Offline UrbanFPV

• Liked: 68
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 08:42:05 »
I learned to fly on FreeRider before going into the real world of FPV in stabilised mode.  Then moved on to acro - again learned in FreeRider.  This was a massive help and probably saved me much damage and quad loss.  I never got the rates working properly between transmitter and FreeRider though.

Lift-off is my sim of choice these days, just plug in you transmitter (Frsky or Turnigy Evo) and it just works with no messing about.
Talon SVX
Tyrant S 215
Aurora 90
GEPRC Sparrow (Mo Sparah)
Chameleon Ti
Mavic Pro
QX7s
Aomway Commanders
Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo9rqz1V6XIaU3xikNDzjKg

Offline CornishMule

• Liked: 225
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 09:31:19 »
I followed the Joshua Bardwell tutorials on FPV Freerider and learnt to fly acro before trying it out in the real world.

I never really found the physics in FPV-FR particularly accurate, the hang-time is lacking and always found rates a little hard to align with Betaflight.

I've recently bought velocidrone, and have to say the physics are much better (Steele posts his physics setup in a recent video on simulators, I've found them pretty good). I also like being able to adjust the rates etc as per BF.

The city level on Velocidrone is great for practicing locked in power loops (i.e. power loop on a long straight road and make sure you don't shift to the side). The harbour level also has some cranes, which are nice for inverted power-loops (front roll over the item)

Online Andy7

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 661
    • The Tracker
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 10:05:55 »
Seconding what Cornishmule says about the JB tutorials. Really, really helpful stuff if you're starting out in Acro.
I even went back to that recently when I swapped from Mode3 to Mode2.

My go to sim is DRL, mainly because I'm used to ut fro when it was in Bea and it looks nice. BUT it doesn't have an offline mode if you're out and about with no internet connection on your laptop. So I keep freerider (demo) as a backup and it's serving me well. I fact, I think that it may be doing me a little good going between the two sims because the physics are going to be different - I suspect that it'll give me a little more tolerance to flight characteristics rather than getting locked into one and then feelig odd flying my quad for real. (just guessing!)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:47:12 by Andy7 »
ZMR200 | EMAX 2206 2300kv | XSRF4PO(BF) | FatShark Dom V3 | Spedix ES25 | 4S 1300mAh | 5045x3 PC HQ Props | FrSky QX7.
Hubsan X4 107 V2
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/AndySevern7

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 10:21:55 »
Cheers everyone.
After a couple of hrs on Recharged I am getting better, honest.
One thing it is teaching me is small corrections on the sticks. OK so it may not be perfect correlation to the real quad but it is helping my hands to learn how to move the sticks in small amounts to get the quad where I want it. Before my fingers were not sensitive enough to manage small corrections.
Fingers crossed it will help.
Will be a bit stuck indoors for a couple of days, come down with Man Flu yesterday afternoon  :(
So more sim time  ::) ::) ::)

Online mo_miah

• Liked: 60
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 11:27:02 »
think i need to get on the sims
i tried freerider trial on my android phone, apparently you can plug your frsky into an android phone/tablet and it works, good for me as my gaming pc has been locked away (when my son was born 10months ago to make space for a cot and all the other bits)
im using a windows tablet to run cleanflight/betaflight to configure my quad but it lacks the horsepower to run a decent sim

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 11:38:25 »
You can plug your TX into an android phone as long as it supports OTG.
You might find that your win tablet runs it fpvfreerider. My Chuwi hi8 dual boot win10 works fine with my TX and freerider. Haven't tried recharged on it but original is OK

Offline Sweet Pickle

• Liked: 145
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 14:21:12 »
I'm not keen on SIMS. I think when the element of risk is removed and there are no consequences I get bored very quickly.
I think I've tried them all now and not managed to stick with one longer than 20 minutes.
I even went all native and run them through my goggles trying to get that immersive experience.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 14:51:27 »
The city level on Velocidrone is great for practicing locked in power loops (i.e. power loop on a long straight road and make sure you don't shift to the side). The harbour level also has some cranes, which are nice for inverted power-loops (front roll over the item)

City Level?  on Velocidrone?

Offline CornishMule

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 14:57:20 »
City Level?  on Velocidrone?

Yep, came in with v1.11.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 15:48:11 »
Hmmmm, so why was my installation telling me no updates available and on 1.9?   :banghead: :banghead:

Downloading manually........................ Thanks...............

Offline Stactix

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 19:07:21 »
Same happened with me. Posted here then stumbled upon a Steele Velico stream with the City map.. and I'm browsing around trying to find out how to add custom maps. Then see I'm two versions out of date.

Quite a few new maps added, also they've changed how crashes work so you don't restart every time you touch, can go full speed into a tree and you then have to try recover which I think is significantly better.

Loving it so far!

Offline CornishMule

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 21:38:02 »
Velocidrone is the only sim I’ve found that lets you use the switches on your Tx. So I make sure I disarm when I crash in the sim, it’s good practice for the real world to disarm quickly.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 07:36:02 »
Velocidrone is the only sim I’ve found that lets you use the switches on your Tx. So I make sure I disarm when I crash in the sim, it’s good practice for the real world to disarm quickly.

I use switches with DRL and Liftoff, so unsure about that.  Have to say ALL Sims suffer from the usually quite iffy calibration and setup process they provide.  At the very least they should default to to the commonest Tx with a full set of controls set and clearly listed.

Some are quite unfriendly, forcing the user to move on to the next stage on a time limit for example., sometimes one so short its a scramble to get the setting required.

Offline LuMan

• Liked: 283
  • Aviation G33K
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 13:47:50 »
Great thread  ~~

I use Freerider Recharged (paid version) and love it. It also runs really well on my i5 MacBook Pro, which is good.

I tried the DRL sim, but there seemed to be loads of latency on the controls, which I don't get on any other sim.

I can get round the Desert and Rocks levels with no issues now. The Forest section is like trying to fling a Speederbike through the 4th moon of Yavin!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 14:53:54 by LuMan »
550 Hex
Huajun HJ816
Potency F181DH
Ghost 250 (blue)
Cheerson CX-10/A
Syma X11C
FQ777-FQ17W
Eachine E57
Robocat 280 (in build)
Ghost 250 LED (in build)

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 19:22:44 »
I tried the DRL sim, but there seemed to be loads of latency on the controls, which I don't get on any other sim.

Presumably a Mac issue, as I do not get it on three differing PC?

Offline ebbo76

• Liked: 7
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 22:29:22 »
Just saw a post on facebook about a new tiny whoop sim based on rotor rush I think.   Anyone tried it?  The video clip looked OK,  but no idea what the handling and physics are like?   Plus it's a subscription sim,  about $5 a month,  boooo.

Might try the free trial if my old laptop,  see if it runs OK.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 06:33:28 »
Just saw a post on facebook about a new tiny whoop sim based on rotor rush I think.   Anyone tried it?  The video clip looked OK,  but no idea what the handling and physics are like?   Plus it's a subscription sim,  about $5 a month,  boooo.

Might try the free trial if my old laptop,  see if it runs OK.

$5 a month.......................A MONTH??? It would have to come with a free gold Tx included for that!   :slap:  :lipsrsealed

Offline ebbo76

• Liked: 7
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 09:22:25 »
Yeah I know.   Very annoying,  but it's the only tiny whoop sim I've seen around.   I'll try the free trial,  but I'm not forking out that much all the time.   I think the main game is rotor rush,  they've just added the option for indoor tracks and the tiny whoop chassis.   Obviously being a branded tiny whoop product it will cost a fortune as Jesse and his lot seem determined to milk the name for everything its worth.

Just looked a bit more.   It needs a half decent PC to run.   They seem to have online esport leagues set up which is why they use subscription.   But they do seem to offer a free package to schools and other institutions who teach kids.   Might be worth your having a look Raven as you seem to run clubs teaching kids?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:37:33 by ebbo76 »