User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Bad Raven: :blink :(
    July 20, 2017, 06:21:22
  • ched999uk: DB, had the storm 5pm and the sky did fall in on Blackpool! 1 ceiling down!!!!! and water peeing in!!!!!!
    July 19, 2017, 20:40:36
  • DarkButterfly: on the plus side my new quad is finished and the wing is ready to fly again
    July 19, 2017, 16:53:02
  • DarkButterfly: Had a storm at 3am, sounded like the sky was falling :laugh:
    July 19, 2017, 16:52:37
  • Gav: horrible n drizzly - grrr got me quads in the car for a sneaky flight after work too
    July 19, 2017, 16:27:52
  • Bajadre: Yeah we had thunderstorm tis morning at 4am woke me up still hot today tho
    July 19, 2017, 14:50:09
  • hoverfly: Wind is building here and BBC weather has just shown a storm heading this way  . :blink the also said it's going to be sticky this afternoon, so I'm going to get it washed... :embarrassed
    July 19, 2017, 13:45:02
  • Reman: Very little wind out there, But it looks like it's going to pi$$ it down any second........ Should I risk charging a couple of packs?
    July 19, 2017, 13:21:27
  • Gav: only indoors
    July 19, 2017, 11:01:21
  • hoverfly: carpet bowl?
    July 19, 2017, 10:26:18
  • Gav: lawn dart
    July 19, 2017, 09:35:16
  • DarkButterfly: Wing glued ::)
    July 19, 2017, 00:10:56
  • DarkButterfly: easily fixable ~~
    July 18, 2017, 22:12:26
  • hoverfly: U-plonker.  Gorilla glue rules,  fixable?? :crossfingers:
    July 18, 2017, 21:58:58
  • DarkButterfly: Did a high speed loop in strong wind, the wings separated from the fuze and it spiralled in nose first ~~
    July 18, 2017, 21:49:56
  • hoverfly: @ D.B the only way to over stress the f/evo is to stand on it w.t.f. were you trying?? :o
    July 18, 2017, 20:16:08
  • Reman: In over 5 years of of constantly having at least one parcel on it's way to me from far away places, I've only been stung once. That was spare parts for a vaping atomizer. I'd bought them direct from the manufacturer in Germany, And was shocked when I got the "Pending import duty" card through the post (+ Royal mail's charge for processing the payment). One big happy Europe my ar$e ! :)
    July 18, 2017, 18:20:27
  • DarkButterfly: Crashed my wing again, over stressed the airframe :laugh:
    July 18, 2017, 17:44:38
  • DarkButterfly: LBT lol, bloody autocorrect
    July 18, 2017, 17:41:48
  • DarkButterfly: already has EU NOT p
    July 18, 2017, 17:41:09

MultiRotorUK Test

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Why bother :-(  (Read 1153 times)

Offline orfordness

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 46
  • Liked: 132
    • View Profile
Why bother :-(
« on: December 27, 2016, 22:48:19 »
Twice this holiday I've mildly criticised someones flying as breaking the CAA rules, only to be verbally abused and basically told to "Get a life"
I've always been polite and pointed the flyer in the direction of the CAA pages on how to fly safely
I'm therefore assuming as a multi rotor community we are quite prepared to "Overlook" the flouting of rules and regulations in order to get more hits on YouTube or to get that elusive perfect shot for ones Instagram account.

I guess its time for me to up sticks and keep my self to my self....regardless of what happens to the hobby.
As flyers I think we will reap what we sow, brace yourself for regulation and mandatory licensing.

:banghead:
Steve

DJI Mavic Pro
Tarot 680 Pro Hex
450 (Flamewheel clone) x 4
Hubsan X4
CS022 Mini Quad

Offline orfordness

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 46
  • Liked: 132
    • View Profile
Re: Why bother :-(
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 23:17:06 »
I resent the "posts endless is it legal stuff" I'm sure I've commented on a fair few but I quite like the hobby and see ignorant people putting it in Jepody....
But i'd hate to get in the way of someone's rights now....
I'll get me coat and pop the keys back through the letterbox on the way out......

DJI Mavic Pro
Tarot 680 Pro Hex
450 (Flamewheel clone) x 4
Hubsan X4
CS022 Mini Quad

Offline ched999uk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 151
  • -Receive: 106
  • Liked: 367
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 00:36:03 »
Sometimes people need telling that what they are doing is illegal as they are not aware. If people wish to do illegal things then that is up to them but they should realise that they may be causing future damage of the hobby that people enjoy.

Please don't be put off posting, your knowledge is very helpful. Thanks for your contributions.

Offline Bajadre

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 23
  • Liked: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 00:47:55 »
I wouldn't let it bother you mate,youve done your bit and tried to help them out if they cant accept some helpful advice they'll end up coming unstuck sooner or later.
most of us with commonsense understand why the rules are there for our safety and other people around us while we do our hobby, your always gonna have the rebels.
Emax nighthawk 280,Blade 350qx3,dx6 (gen2),fatshark doms v2.

Offline Powernumpty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 48
  • Liked: 232
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 07:19:31 »
Some people don't like authority and in some way that can be useful, lord knows there are enough corrupt officials and hidden agendas.

As a society we make rules for the good of the whole rather than individuals so if we believe flying drones near airports is bad for the majority of people in the society we should enforce that and put up with the few that feel aggrieved.

If people don't like the rules get enough other like minded people together to push for a change in the rules don't just thumb your nose at the regs and criticize others who represent the majority. As a start you will need to know the current rules you want to change.

I think there are some rules that are hard to enforce (like spotters at all times for FPV) and in some cases represents little threat to others (small craft long way from people and houses, flying low for a few minutes) but where the action puts the craft in the path of aircraft with living bodies on board that is a different mater.

Offline Elmattbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 30
  • Liked: 175
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 08:04:03 »
I resent the "posts endless is it legal stuff" I'm sure I've commented on a fair few but I quite like the hobby and see ignorant people putting it in Jepody....
But i'd hate to get in the way of someone's rights now....
I'll get me coat and pop the keys back through the letterbox on the way out......
I did post on the thread but only to say that you couldn't tell if he had a spotter or not. I hope that wasn't taken the wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Andy7

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
  • Liked: 324
    • View Profile
    • The Tracker
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 10:59:57 »
orfordness: You make those posts 'cos you CARE about the hobby. Don't stop. Anyone that disagrees with sensible observations about dangerous or careless flying will as said before most likely come unstuck at some point.
It IS a difficult like to tread between helping stop someone hurt themselves and being the fun police - carry on using your good judgement and ignore the trolls.

For sure, the BEST fun is just on the edge of what's legal and safe. I desperately hope the Rotor Riot guys don't hurt anyone, but I love their antics and at the same time I'm screaming inside. Tricky.

Keep at it bud and don't leave - we all need you here.
ZMR200 | EMAX 2206 2300kv | Naze32 (BF) | FatShark Dom V3 | Spedix ES25 | 3S 3000mAh | 5045x3 PC HQ Props.
Hubsan X4 107 V2

Offline NoviceQuad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • Liked: 5
  • Novice Quadcopter builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 12:22:54 »
Hi,

I may be new to the forum but you shouldn't be put off protecting the hobby. I come from one that involves Airsoft and the same thing happens there. We have to abide by the VCRA and you still have idiots doing stupid stuff with the kit and when warned come out with the same responses.

My Dad before Christmas had a similar incident with a pilot who landed at the airfield despite it being shut due to the weather. Same sort of F' OFF situation there.

Sadly you can't change people. Just don't let it get to you.

Chin up buddy  ~~

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Offline Revs

• aka Paul
  • Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 130
  • -Receive: 181
  • Liked: 1036
  • If it ain't broke... it will be soon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 14:20:44 »
In my time I've come to realise about 1 in 10 people are cnuts. They're not going anywhere and they're not going to change. Don't let them drag you down, karma will do it's bit in time :smiley:

Offline Hands0n

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 258
  • -Receive: 609
  • Liked: 2838
  • Did the Wright brothers feel this amazing?
    • View Profile
    • Technoratia
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 11:01:27 »
@ofordness - To answer your specific question in the subject line of this thread, if I may be so bold  :smiley:  "Please continue to 'bother'" because you care". 

You very obviously care about the hobby, but also the people who may be unwittingly committing an indictable offence.  They'd likely care once they've been hit with a £5,000 fine, as some have been in the recent past. 

As the others have said here, don't go.  Stick around and enjoy the free air  ;)  There will always be some who will rail back against being told the official stuff.  I've lost count of the pilots who've said "Rules are there to be broken".    These'll be the same types who park on pavements, cracking paving stones and making it a Takeshi's Castle challenge to walk along the pavement.  Oooh, I'm getting a grumpy old sod. Must be this hobby  :rofl:
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Offline DarrellW

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 255
  • -Receive: 407
  • Liked: 2384
  • Living on an island!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 13:01:22 »
+1 ^^^^^^^
I have myself had lots of rude remarks from people I've taken the trouble to put right (in their own interests), it's got to be water off a ducks back - I  do care also, I don't want to see our hobby stifled by draconian rulings; if we just give up who is going to try to make people realise that what they are doing is wrong and going to make doing what they want to do much more difficult and ruin it for those of us who do care and obey the rules???
I think..........I think I am........therefore I am.............I think!

Offline Fletch

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 66
  • Liked: 407
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 13:51:08 »
I disappear off into the country to fly (right next to a regularly walked path) ... But where I am that's easy.

I've flown once in a local park and it was LOS ..

All of my interactions have been possitive ...

One guy offering to be my spotter when I started doing FPV

One older couple complaining there grand kids weren't there to see it

Offline BlueFlyer

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 15:39:28 »
There's a fine line between politely pointing out someone's indiscretions and being an obnoxious know it all.

Personally, I respond in a much more receptive manner when I'm quietly and privately informed of my wrongdoings (in life in general)

Bleating on someones thread, or in the comments section of their video just makes people look like nobs, regardless of their actual intentions.

Please don't be so naive in thinking that these people don't know what they're doing is wrong. Comments on their videos fall on deaf ears, some even relish the attention

But please bear in mind that calling them out in public simply attracts the wrong sort of attention to the hobby. A video that starts off perfectly fine, but has an obvious rule break near the end may have gone un-noticed by the authorities who just don't have the time to watch every video on youtube. But by kicking off about it, sending links of it to mates, writing articles about it, or starting a thread about the "illegal behaviour" is bound to grab the attention of people who simply need to type in some basic search terms into google. "CAA" "illegal" for example.

My point is, be concerned, know the rules, and attempt to educate others... but don't be an arse about it causing confrontations in public. PM the person, send them an email if you have it. Use the correct language and tone in your correspondence and keep it polite.

Offline moto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 1
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 21:54:47 »
Hi all
i am new to the hobby and recently had my fingers wacked from my quad lol it was very painfull and cut into four of my fingers, made me realize i have to be careful when flying
and choose my spot making sure theres no one around, personally i think if you see some one is at risk of injury from a quad then you have the right to step in and try to reason with the pilot.
as for youtube theres lots of vids with pilots flying with complete disregard for others maybe we should have a name and shame thread and try to get vids that are bad for the hobby removed in some way.
my fingers are still throbbing  :blink 

Offline BlueFlyer

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 22:09:45 »
as for youtube theres lots of vids with pilots flying with complete disregard for others maybe we should have a name and shame thread and try to get vids that are bad for the hobby removed in some way.
Are you for real? You'll never get them all removed... and just by trying to do so will simply cause animosity, bad feelings and bring more attention to the videos in question.... which is a BAD thing if you think they pose a risk to the hobby (which they don't).

The only thing that will be bad for the hobby is if a quad/drone (whatever) hits a plane and causes an incident... the powers that be won't admit it (of course they wont) but they're actually hoping, nay, praying for a drone to hit a plane... just so they can bring in all these draconian rules and regs they've got lying in the wings.

Offline nate80

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 21
  • Liked: 191
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 22:25:46 »
I don't see any problem with politely and tactfully mentioning a safety concern if someone is flying like a twonk.  But it definitely requires a friendly approach as I'm not a member of the multi-rotor-police.

Sometime's people are just a bit thoughtless.  We all make mistakes.  Maybe they'll think about it and fly different in the future.  And if they're a$$-hats and think they can do what they want whenever they fancy I just toddle on and let the law of karma do its thing.