User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

* Who's In The Chat Rooms

User in Chat:

Author Topic: First build tsx220  (Read 180 times)

Offline Vinny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
  • Liked: 1
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
First build tsx220
« on: January 13, 2017, 22:46:29 »
I decided to build a tsx 220 as my first build.specs will be
Rs2205 2300 emax motors
Little bee 20a blheli_s
Naze 32 rev5 flight controller
Tbs unify hv vtx
Foxeer hs1177 cam

Just got the esc's today and will probably need to buy an adjustable soldering iron as the one ive got is 80w so can not do much until I get something a little smaller.I knew these things were small but didnt realise how small until today.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 182
  • Liked: 389
  • Everything you have been told is a lie
Re: First build tsx220
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 22:56:35 »
Just posted a tsx200 build mate, the guide may help you

Observations:
The naze is not a brilliant choice, f1 flight controllers struggle with newer code :(

How are you monitoring the battery in flight?

Littlebee 20a blheli_s have a design flaw, this results in them bursting into flame, which is never good, I have had three blow and never doing anything strenuous, on the other hand I have quad running them fine, there is a fix somewhere on removing a component that helps

Littlebees and red bottoms are an iffy combination, they singularly produces easily the highest amount of jitters strongly recomend soft mounting the flight controller

You don't mention your radio system or antenna for the vtx, don't save money on the latter, it makes a massive difference, recomend tbs triumph, manacerc raptor or getting Daz to make one

You also don't mention what props or cell count you are using, that may make a difference to the bees

Offline Vinny

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 23:15:38 »
Hi...thanks for pointing those flaws out....I intend on running on 4s,the triumph was the antenna that I intend on getting.receiver will be but not bought frsky x4r sb.Radio is taranis
All components apart from the vtx have been purchased but Im open to changing whatever needs to be changed if they are allready proven to be a bad mix..no point in contributing to failure from the off.

I have had a quick glance of your build once you posted it earlier which would have been great if I hadnt bought anything but like I said,open to change

Offline Vinny

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 23:28:37 »
I havnt commited to any prop at the moment..I threw a set of dal tri blade props onto an order just to get over the free postage treshold...possibly 5045,not the bullnose ones.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 23:39:02 »
:)
The x4rsb is fine but I would suggest using an xsr which is smaller and does the same

I would recommend getting a set of these whichever reciever you use, miles better than canble ties and heatshrink for keeping antenna out the props:
http://multirotorspares.co.uk/over-the-standoff-receiver-antenna-tube-holders-made-from-flexable-tpu-4-pieces-by-plastic-spider/

These are what I used for soft mount:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X742QMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Recomend the gopro2 lense, only costs about 8 quid, much better field of view

When it comes to switching anything
The first thing would be the naze rev5, i would replace with at least an f3, ideally one without he mou6500 or 9250 gyro
The rotorgeeks RG-SSD would be my suggestion, cheap and effective

With regards to the motors and escs, it seems to be a bit pot luck, you may be fine, you may not, you won't know until you try. Since you have spent the money, you may as well try it
I would suggest running light props on 4s, something like hq5040v1s triblades:
https://www.electricwingman.com/hqprop-durable-racing-props
Heavier or more aggressive props will reduce efficiency and change speed slightly slower

If you replace the escs I would go with spedix 25amp blheli_s - I have many different escs, I can't honestly say I notice any difference in performance between any of them, the spec ones are the cheapest in cost, run lower latency than any and therefore are a good choice

Edit re the dal props, they are heavier with a more aggressive pitch than the hq, that means several things:
1. They have a higher top end
2. They will change speed slower
3. They will put more load on the motor, which translates to more current through the esc and shorter flight times

Dal props in my experience generally fly very smoothly, if you are relatively new to this then they are good, and if you just drag race they are excellent too, if you do have a problem it will be with the current draw which may take out the esc. If you are a veteran then it comes down to your flying style in terms of characteristics and point 3 above
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 23:43:44 by Cheredanine »

Offline Vinny

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 23:54:21 »
Thanks very much for such an in depth response.I will go with your suggestion on upgrading the flight controller.I may as well give the littlebees a go and get appropriate lighter props for it
I have 4 spare rs2205 2300 motors and a spare frame lying around so Will probably try your esc suggestion also.

As for experience with 250's...that would be zero.Ive had a couple of discoveries in the past and a sky hero y6 that was fun...all other flight experience is in rc helis...a few years ago now.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 00:00:23 »
 Are welcome,
You are gonna be dependant on the telemetry and your taranis telling you when the voltage is low on the battery, painless360 YouTube channel has some vids on it, if you buy a cam for the second frame get a foxeer arrow v2 or a runcam swift v2, both of these are not much more expensive than a hs1177 (the swiftv2 is new so I am perhaps overstepping the mark there, but I have several quads with the arrow v2), both of those cams include an osd chip and voltage monitor, you can have battery voltage and flight time on the video feed without using an osd card

Offline Vinny

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 13:28:30 »
Thanks for that.I cannot find your suggested fc so will probably go with the bluejay from your build thread.I may just get another tsx frame to use up the spare motors I have.The spare frame i have at the minute is a kc250,I was going to run t motors on it but it is in the cupboard for the time being until the tsx is built...love the quality of the frame..its excellent,the tsx that is.Im at a stop for the moment until I purchase a decent iron,Im thinking just go for the hakko f88d at the moment and be done with it,however still getting over Santa from this year so it will be thursday before funds allow this which in turn means Im at a stop for now.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 13:41:33 »
This is the fc I suggested:
http://rotorgeeks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=676

The bluejay is the best fc I have but if you want telemetry you have to add a diode, this isn't important to me as I use a foxeer arrow v2 cam to show voltage but with a hs1177 that isn't gonna happen, you could add a microminim, but recomend fc above

Offline Vinny

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 14:00:54 »
Thanks again....I should of said I cannot find it in the uk,I really need to start writing everything as I guess there are no mind readers on here.Is it not good enough to do trial and error with timings for the battery with a 20 to 25% cutoff worked into it or is this a no no in the world of 250's?...I thought I had done my research fairly well as not to be burnt by buying redundant components....obviously not haha...my motors are outdated by the s series,my esc's may catch fire,my fc may/will be too slow going forward..Its great to be back in the hobby

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 16:49:24 »
Timings are fine if you use a decent safety margin and always fly the same way.
I aim for a setup that can do about 5 mins if I fly agressicely, depending on my flight style (what mood I am in) it can vary between about 4.30 to 7 mins

That really presents a problem

Suggestion is go with the bluejay but add something like this:
http://makeitbuildit.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=154&search=Alarm
You plug the balance lead in to it and it alarms when the battery is low, I know pilots that use these by strapping with the lipo

That or replace the hs1177 with and arrow v2