User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

* Who's In The Chat Rooms

User in Chat:

Author Topic: Shrike 200 v2  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Cheredanine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 181
  • Liked: 388
  • Everything you have been told is a lie
Shrike 200 v2
« on: September 05, 2016, 00:41:33 »
So new toy, most of the stuff from electric wingman, other parts from hobbyrc and dronebits,  very helpful guys

Frame - shrike v2 200
Observation- the hardware is not great, before I tightened everything up I tore 2 screws and stripped the threads on all 4 standoffs, replaced with stuff from my spares

Flight controller - Lumenier lux (2 sets of rubber o rings) betaflight 3.0 rc12 currently

Rx- frsky xsr

Camera - foxeer arrow, 2.5mm lense - the cam is a great idea (integral osd with voltage sensor) very badly implemented, there is apparently a v2 in the works with all the problems fixed, I wait with baited breath

Micro minim osd
Tbs unify pro hv - the new ones use a connector for the antenna extension rather than direct soldering, my flex came out with almost no pressure.
Dronebits who supplied it very kindly provided a replace,met antenna extension which I recrimped and added hot glue to, very good customer service
Tbs triumph antenna

ESCs - littlebee 20a-s flashed with blheli_s 16.3
Motors - cobra cm2205 2300kv champion edition

During the testing of the fpv kit one motor/esc combo went pop, took out both the motor and the esc. Probably my soldering but not sure
HQ5040 tris
1000uf low esr 35v cap
Dronelabs 1500mah 75-150c 4s
Forever tubes plus mounts from multirotor spares

As you can see above I have had a fair amount of problems getting this one in the air, but test hovering all good, although very light and agile, it just doesn't want to stay still, it is built for speed :)

If the weather holds hope to throw it around tomorrow

The question is will it perform as good as the scx?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 00:53:09 by Cheredanine »

Offline nub

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 101
  • -Receive: 179
  • Liked: 1136
Re: Shrike 200 v2
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 09:45:27 »
damn you! :laugh:

been eyeing up this frame up the last few days, was hoping to source one in the UK or Europe at least but looks like it's going to have to be from the US if i want one :(

the TBS unify pigtail is a POS, the SMA connector they use is weak, snapped mine on my first light crash, just hoping i haven't fried the fekker.

of course it'll perform as well as the SCX if not better, the SCX is a nice frame but i think the middle section seems a little bulky.
Point and click.

Shoot from the hip.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 10:09:39 »
Hi mate, electric wingman is waiting for new stock to arrive, shouldn't be long (Paul is on holiday until, I think, the 14th, may already be there)

Turns out the metal hardware is a known problem, new ones will probably ship with new hardware, older how can email them and get replacements.

As far as I (and Mike at hobbyrc) can tell, like the immersionrc vtx the unify has a little protection against running without antenna, wouldn't want to do it for any length of time but suspect you may well be ok.
Tbs are clearly aware of the issue, they shipped replacemet antennas to recent stockists of unify pro. Even if they don't have them advertised they will have received a job lot, suggest you contact the stockists (I know both dronebits and hobbyrc have them and didn't order them and don't have them listed)

The scx mid section is slightly bigger but not hugely, and mine has zmx v3 2206 2600kv, compared to the new Cobras on the shrike
See photo for scx200, shrike and qav210 for size comparison

Offline nub

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 10:59:32 »
very nice! well jel ;) :laugh:

it wasn't powered without an antenna for to long so finger crossed, i did put another SMA connector onto the pigtail but the U.FL connector is goosed, just falls off now :laugh:

thanks for the info shall contact the place i got mine from and see if they've been sent any, hopefully they have.
Point and click.

Shoot from the hip.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 11:03:59 »
On mine the cable pulled out of the crimp

On the new one I recrimped the cable tighter then hot glued the hell out the thing from the cable right over the connector to the board

Offline nub

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 11:18:29 »
the rear of the RP-SMA connector on mine snapped and ripped the wire out, in hindsight it's probably down to the way i mounted it but do not expect that to happen :laugh:
Point and click.

Shoot from the hip.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 23:09:36 »
Hi nub, observations
I have had yet more issues with this quad, low throttle oscillations kept wiping out the osd and occasionally the entire fpv feed. Having the flight controller built into the frame stop more soft mounting than the o rings, the lack of sd card on the lux stopped decent bblogging for analysis, but spent the evening on trial and error of notch and lowpass filters and although it is still slightly there, it isn't taking out the video or the osd anymore on the bench, will report back when I throw it about next (today's flight was reserved for new tango so used scx as I knew I could throw it about without issue :))

In retrospect using a lux to keep the build small wasn't the best choice, I will get round to replacing with a cyclone (or other decent non mpu6500/9250 f3) or better yet bluejay f4

Offline nub

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 10:52:46 »
stick a naze32 rev5 on it min ::) :laugh:

the OSD and video being knocked out is a bit nippy, hopefully you get it sorted out.

TBS Tango?
Point and click.

Shoot from the hip.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 13:43:02 »
Yeah, I think the problem s exhaserbated by others wth very fast speed changes and fast/granular ESCs (lb 20a blhel_s) the quad can react mechanically so quick to oscillations.

Tango - woot, so far really like it, would say I probably still fly better on taranis, mainly due to muscle memory and gimbles I am used to, but like the feel on the tango so sticking with it.

Setting up a new quad is trivial.
A minute tops

Missing voice alerts is a little off putting to start with but I always get voltage on goggles so not a problem.

Powering goggles and having vid feed from the radio is just sweet, no more explosive lipos strapped to the side of my head :)

It also made tuning the shrike easier, I had to change the filter then up the throttle on the radio whilst looking at the impact on the fpv kit, because of the screen on the tango I didn't need to use my goggles

Overall I like it, very happy, taranis gone back in its foam packaging

Offline nub

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 13:07:26 »
cool seems like your liking it anyways and good that you actually made use of the screen ::)
Point and click.

Shoot from the hip.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 13:26:03 »
Blown another littlebee 20a-s esc, on the bench just power up, not impressed, I have ordered a set of racestars

Offline nub

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 14:54:25 »
fs popped just with powering up nightmare :(

seen quite a few people have problems with video etc lately kind of puts me off moving on from my setup, or at least moving to blheli_s etc seems like things can be a bit unstable for some.
Point and click.

Shoot from the hip.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 16:09:44 »
To be clear mate, I seem to be the only person I talk to using the littlebee blheli_s 20amp, I have them on my qav210 with Lumenier 2206 23500kv, those motors with the props (HQ s5040 tris) and battery (4s) I am using won't get near the 25amp burst and I have put something like 40-50 packs through them without issue

I also have two quads with Aikon 30a SEMF:
Qq190 with Xnova 2206 2500kv
Scx200 with zmx 2206 2600kv v3

Both of these quads have been fantastic. The scx is by far the best, fastest and most agile quad I have flown. I can't overstate how good all the components on that are

Many of the participants in the rcgroups blheli_s thread have their preferences, but no sign of any fundamental flaw in any of the current crop of ESCs although some new ones on the market.
But as I say, not seen anyone else using the littlebees.

Although I have had 2 go in this quad, and one took out a motor, that doesn't mean there is a reliability issue, I have some concerns over the FC I am using, (it was used previously for testing vgood ESCs so has been soldered many times, considering changing the FC along with the ESCs (either cyclone or f303 - avoid the mpu6500 gyro given the mount on this frame

I really would recommend you try blheli_s. Tbh the dalrc ones seem to be top of the heap

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 00:19:24 »
The continuing saga of the shrike - ok after working away for a bit, got some parts in.

Had a catalogue of issues with this quad, so this is the list and solutions:

Blown three littlebee 20a ESCs, none of them under much load, all on different arms, in the end I have replaced them with racerstar v2 30a blheli_s. Hover test this evening is good, need good weather an no work on

Had bad mis throttle vibrations not cleared by soft mounting, managed to largely tune them out using BF notch filter, however, have now switched out the lux with a motolabs cyclone, which doesn't use the mpu6500 so should be far better with gyro noise, again need to do proper flight test

The tbs unify antenna pigtail keeps coming free from the board, tried hot glue etc but to no avail, one pigtail came apart, replacement is not fitted against the top plate so should hold it in place

Following the refitting of the FC, the micro minim blew, of course I didn't know this, had to strip the fpv kit apart and replace or bypass, thankfully I had a spare

So not functioning, I may need to tune the notch filter but stick setting show no oscillations in hover, finally this thing is looking good to go

Offline nub

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 23:47:41 »
fs certainly had a few hassles with this build :( fingers crossed all is good from here on in.

once theres play in those UFL connectors it's goosed, no idea why they started to use them i'd have prefered a soldered wire to the board job.
Point and click.

Shoot from the hip.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 23:55:58 »
fs certainly had a few hassles with this build :( fingers crossed all is good from here on in.

once theres play in those UFL connectors it's goosed, no idea why they started to use them i'd have prefered a soldered wire to the board job.
Lol right on both counts mate, took it out when the rain stopped, flies nicely. But the video has no range past 50 ft

I have stripped out the unify and replaced it with a spare f799t this evening, antenna now out the back but makes it more crash tolerant.

Also check out those props :)

All set for first thing in the morning

Offline nub

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 21:14:45 »
looking good liking the pink props ::)
Point and click.

Shoot from the hip.

Offline Powernumpty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 47
  • Liked: 226
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 21:58:40 »
The pink girly props are great and all probably even help the balance but I'd miss the ability to go backwards.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 23:24:58 »
:) I figure girly pink props will upset the younger demographic of the opposition, particularly if it is faster than them, making them more likely to mess up

(And it is pretty fast despite family commitments all weekend I managed to get a few packs through it. Almost at the point where I am happy with it, but getting some shakes video on hard acceleration - although only during the change in speed, once it reaches a throttle value it settles - suspect it is the cam, foxeer arrow - very naff - runcam swift and GoPro 2 lense arrive next week, mean time I have tightened the hell out the cam, try again tomorrow evening)

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 13:27:03 »
Ok so gave it a bit of abuse at lunch time. I still have a huge grin on my face

I still have camera shakes, runcam swift and GoPro lense otw to replace this foxeer arrow crap, but I just don't care

This thing has bags of speed, acceleration and agility, but most importantly - the motors, I am getting flight times I get from 1500mah batteries on 2206 motors from 1300mah batteries and less voltage sag on hard manouvering.or throttle punch, really like them, of course it is possibly due to the pink props :)

Big thanks to Paul at Electricwingman who has provided many of the parts on this one

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 14:18:12 »
And now we really have gone weird

Offline Powernumpty

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 14:34:00 »
What-are-those!

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 14:38:42 »
Racekraft 5051 triblades :)

Offline Powernumpty

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 14:44:03 »
OK and I just read your post on the other thread, very interesting looking things, look far better designed for the variable blade speed at radius.

I put some jemfans on a quad the other day (from the draw), lasted a few minutes, how did we ever live with those? The joint at the root was about as thin as it could be, almost like they were designed to break, quickly.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 14:59:08 »
lol don't shatter my illusions, I have a draw full of old gemfans, my missus keeps telling me to get rid of them, but I am waiting until they become "vintage" and I can resell them at a profit

The other two models of racekraft I tested are clones of dal t5045 tris and hq5040 tris, not impressed really but these ones fly nicely, gonna put more packs to them see if I prefer them to hq504s tris
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 00:51:27 by Cheredanine »

Offline Powernumpty

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 15:26:44 »
Oh yes those are plastic propellers from the early years, you've probably not seen those before.
Back then we used hold a controller in our hands, don't laugh we did, and have to use packs of chemicals on the craft to make them fly we called those batteries. To make it fight gravity (that was considered fixed and unavoidable back then) we had small electic motors under each of these that span them round and that pushed the air down so the craft went upwards, no really.
Oh the cells lasted about five minutes if you were lucky. Anyway that's enough tales of the old days for now young'un.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 16:30:18 »
:)

Since this quad has changed so dramatically in order to get it to fly well, new kit list:

Frame: shrike v2 200 (Electric wingman)
(The first batch had incorrect hardware, fixed in subsequent batches and they will send you replacement if you have the dodgy stuff)

Flight controller: motolabs cyclone (I-drone) - betaflight 3.0.1 running 8khz gyro, 2khz pids, synced multishot, reversed yaw motor direction, a little dead band as I am flying this with a tango and an frisky module, rates: p and r 0.87, y 0.8

Escs: racerstars 30a v2 blheli_s (banggood) - blheli_s 16.4

Motors: cobra champion 2205 2300kv (Electricwingman and dronebit

Osd: micro minim (hobbyrc)

Cam: runcam swift (I don't recall where) fitted with a GoPro 2 lense (eBay)

Rx: frsky xsr (Electricwingman)

Vtx: fx799t (banggood)

Antenna: tbs triumph (Electricwingman)

Props: Racekraft 5051 triblades (hobbyrc)
Other bits:
Jst-sh and other cables and heatshrink (hobbyrc)
Xt60 pigtail (hobbyrc)
1000uf low esr 35v cap (eBay)
Forever tubes and standoff mounts for xsr antenna (multirotorspares)
8x m3 hot pink silicon o-rings (hobbyking)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 00:26:07 by Cheredanine »

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2017, 22:44:53 »
And the musical chairs continue

I ripped the caps off the escs to run d-shot on this quad, however the cyclone can not natively run dshot, you have to repurpose one of the other pads as one of the motor pads, which involves resoldering and then some cli jiggery pokery, however if you want to reconnect blhelisuite you have to move it all back, so although it was working, upgrading software was a pain

Rotorgeeks sent me their new RG-SSD f3 flight controller to test

This seemed like a good opportunity to sort this out

Switched the cyclone for the RG-SSD, flashed both fc and escs, replaced the swift and the micro minim with a runcam arrow and flying nicely