Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 26, 2024, 21:00:36

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Which Pixhawk version are people using?

Started by kilby, Tuesday,September 01, 2015, 14:01:23

Previous topic - Next topic

kilby

I have an Armattan FPV Tilt 2 which 90% complete, however the Pixhawk on board is only borrowed

I have just agreed the sale of my 450 (APM based) and my DX7s, so I have some funds available.

However a genuine 3DR (plus compass) is working out a little expensive.

Due to the type of machine it is (and a recent loss of confidence in my flying ability) and experience with APM the Pixhawk makes most sense to me (though I have briefly looked at and discounted the Eagletree Vector, OP Revo Nano (unobtainable and software issues) and TauLabs)

Which non 3DR Pixhawks are being used out there?
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

JeremyE

I am using the pixmini. Bought it from goodluckbuy and it was delivered in 7 days. I pieced together different components instead of selecting a complete kit which worked out well for me.

Revs

I';m using a 2.4.5 clone from Phil that I got as a set with M8N GPS, etc. TBH I don';t know how you';d tell between them as they seem to be many (visually) different types which AFAIK all work the same. I can';t even find any info of the difference between the 2.4.5 and 2.4.6, if there is any.

All I';d suggest is that you thoroughly test it before arming it to make sure it';s all working ok.

teslahed

If you want a smaller one I like the look of this mini;

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/pix-mini-32-bit-open-source-2-4-6-flight-controller-with-buzzer-and-safety-switch-for-rc-airplanes.html

It has a lot of extra pins instead of those nasty tiny mini connectors everyone likes instead nowerdays and it';s smaller than the average pixhawk too.

Double check the documentation if taking this route;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2285520

As it has 1 or two fewer Inputs and Outputs which probably won';t affect you.

I have a fixhawk in my Tri-Trooper which is the RCTimer clone. Works fine (not flown yet). At work I use an official pixhawk and also a fixhawk in two different aircraft. Can';t tell the difference once they are out the packaging - the official one comes in a much nicer box.

Here';s another similar one;

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/pixraptor-flight-controller-with-buzzer-safe-switch-ppm-encoder-4g-kingston-tf-card-for-rc.html
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

JerryCampbell

I am flying an RTFHawk. It is the best I have ever flown.
I just ordered an PixHawk Lite kit from GLB for my FPV rig. We shall see how it turns out.
As far as I can tell there are a lot of bad boards in the PixHawk world but if you get a good quality board you will love it regardless of who made it.
Jerry

kilby

Quote from: JerryCampbell on Tuesday,September 01, 2015, 15:48:57
As far as I can tell there are a lot of bad boards in the PixHawk world but if you get a good quality board you will love it regardless of who made it.
Jerry

That';s exactly why I';m asking, it was the same with alternate APM suppliers for a while.

Iv';e now been paid for the 450 & DX7s so will have to hunt down a Pixhawk (& GPS module) before the wife discovers the money
Taranis+

kilby

Anybody have any opinions regarding this one (I';m happy enough with the full size Pixhawk footprint as there';s lots of space in the Tilt)

Have heard some complaints about the 8 series GPS units couples with some Pixhawks.

I never really used the telemetry on my APM, but do consider the power module as an absolute necessity (most of the other clones don';t seem to include that)

I was considering the Neo-7N as the best version compromise GPS wise, but input appreciated.

Oops a link would have helped
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/pixhawk-px4-2-4-5-32bit-arm-flight-controller-combo-led-neo-6m-gps-ppm-pm-433mhz-3dr.html
Taranis+

JerryCampbell

Telemetry is a wonderful thing, especially in the setup/calibration process.

Revs

If you get the Pix in a kit with the M8N it should be pre-configured. I think the issue peeps where having were things like incorrect baud rate set, wire position differences, etc.

Hands0n

Hmm, I';m using Pixhawk Lite from Goodluckbuy and it is a super little FC - just with some wiring quirks, see my other thread on here.

Allow me to rant about the M8 for a moment, if you will (otherwise skip to next post)  :laugh:

As to the M8 - I have three that i';ve been checking out, from different sources.  Two come "bundled" with Pixhawks (a clone and the Lite) and the experience has been tense. 

The independent unit has been hooked up to uCentre and works a treat, it hot starts in one second, warm and cold starts are sub-minute.  It responds to configuration commands and can be tuned well.

The two bundled units are driving me up the wall.  Both seem to cold start each time the lipo is changed, taking well in excess of three minutes to lock in sufficiently for the Pixhawk to allow arming.  I';ve jury rigged a connection to uCentre and neither will accept configuration commands, and both are locked at 9600bps which is probably a contributing factor to the slow Pixhawk acceptance.   

I';ve now had to order in a Hirose socket to make a more robust connector to uCentre so I can debug what the heck is going on with these two.  Bizarre and irritating in the extreme.

By contrast, with LEA-6H, NEO-6M and NEO-7M I have never, ever, had a single issue with hooking up to APM or Pixhawk. 

I don';t think there is that much to choose from with the various Pixhawks around - except for form factor if considering the non-standard units.  I would also seek opinion on build and component quality, some are likely to be using inferior components. 

Its a bit of a minefield, a repetition of the early days of APM cloneage.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

JeremyE

Quote from: Hands0n on Wednesday,September 02, 2015, 15:56:14
The independent unit has been hooked up to uCentre and works a treat, it hot starts in one second, warm and cold starts are sub-minute.  It responds to configuration commands and can be tuned well.

Where be the link to this unit?

kilby

Quote from: Hands0n on Wednesday,September 02, 2015, 15:56:14

By contrast, with LEA-6H, NEO-6M and NEO-7M I have never, ever, had a single issue with hooking up to APM or Pixhawk. 

I don';t think there is that much to choose from with the various Pixhawks around - except for form factor if considering the non-standard units.  I would also seek opinion on build and component quality, some are likely to be using inferior components. 

Its a bit of a minefield, a repetition of the early days of APM cloneage.

Hence my asking, I think I have an old LEA model GPS and TBH apart from taking about a minute to get signals, on a very cold start I couldn';t ask for a better position hold etc.

The Pixhawk clones all seem to be a bit short of reviews at the moment.
Taranis+

Hands0n

Quote from: JeremyE on Wednesday,September 02, 2015, 16:06:08
Where be the link to this unit?

Damn, I can';t find the link to the original sale. I';ll keep looking, however. It was just a bare GPS&Mag with the appropriate connectors ..
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

athertop

I';ve heard great things about the auav-x2 from here: http://arsovtech.com/?page_id=1502

Arducopter has had some work done specifically for this hardware in the upcoming 3.3 release.

Hands0n

Quote from: JeremyE on Thursday,September 03, 2015, 07:20:43
Is this the one: http://www.banggood.com/UBLOX-NEO-M8N-BN-880-Flight-Control-GPS-Module-Dual-Module-Compass-p-971082.html

Thats the one!  Why couldn';t I find it?  Bah  :laugh:

I';ve also found out how to get the APM/Pixhawk into "GPS Passthru" whereby you can hook up uCentre via your FC to the GPS without making up elaborate wire looms!  Who knew?

And of course the nice thing is that it also proves out the wiring between your FC and the GPS unit!

See here --> http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-ublox-gps/#connection_option_1_8211_mission_planner_and_pixhawk_as_passthrough

--
Danny