Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 23:59:13

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 29
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

CarbonCore NEW Cortex 5K Upgrade Arms QUAD NAZA V2 Build

Started by CarbonCore Multicopter, Tuesday,July 14, 2015, 20:29:08

Previous topic - Next topic

CarbonCore Multicopter

We';re now starting the new Cortex 5K. There';s ten in stock.

Here';s a parts layout for one kit:

The aim was to make a Cortex X8 with smaller motors, 3506';s, and for it to still be under 5.0Kgs with a small gimbal.
We don';t have smaller motors in so we';re building one with a NAZA V2, V4.0 firmware seems OK on about 150 gains at 6Kgs,
and using four CarbonCore 4010 370Kv motors and the same 30A OPTO ESCs from Tiger, in black.
We need props and are going to add some more carbon bling to this one too  :cool:

1.5mm Carbon, pure Carbon Fibre. - Thinner and 25% lighter than the standard Cortex.
Folding legs that can be upgraded to retracts.
ESC mounted in-line
Proud, pan-head bolts have been used as the counter sink bolts needed 2.0mm carbon.
New, more practical metal motor mounts.
New, Upgrade one-piece Cortex and Hexa650 arms.

We (I) haven';t set the pricing yet, photographed or even named the parts. But if you';d like a Cortex 5K please call 01904 345341 and I can put a kit together for you :) Parts will be online soon. Or please contact us through the forum, website or social media for a order form.
Normal Cortex are in stock and ready to go!

And there';s also Quick Release Gimbal rails for DJI Zenmuse and Align Gimbals.

CarbonCore Multicopter

A Quick look at the flat CNC parts to be included with the Cortex 5K.
And outside shots of the shell and new arm - the carbon looks so different under other lighting conditions.

CarbonCore Multicopter

First steps to assembling a new Multi-rotor:
Unpacked 4x Motors and 4x ESCs. (Only need the motors now).
Applied threadlock to the threads on the motors.
Bolted them with M3x8mm pan heads to the motor mounts, with the "Y" facing the cables.

CarbonCore Multicopter

Next, both M3 set screws were removed from the top of each motor, then glued back in with threadlock after checking the flats on the motors shafts face the threads.

The last photo on the right shows threadlock being applied to the new metal motor mount - it bolts to the arm with three bolts from the outside.

CarbonCore Multicopter

Now each motor with motor mount has had it';s cables fed down the arm and the new motor mounts are bolted to the one-piece upgrade arms (standard in Cortex 5K kits) with just three M3x6mm bolts.

Yes this one';s being built as a Quadrocopter with four motors, and they are being fitted facing down!

We are also going to add something else later...

CarbonCore Multicopter

16x 31mm pillars. A 5.5mm Hex socket fits these.
They';re all stood on the bench ';cos after balancing them all I think it';s the easiest way to apply threadlock to all the threads.

16x M3 x 6mm pan heads are fitted through the LOWER side of the Lower frame plate.
Then all 16 pillars are wound-on by hand.

Next the little "Carbon Spanner" pieces are fitted over 6 pairs of the pillars - Preventing them from ever rotating.  :cool:

CarbonCore Multicopter

These were all now tightened up with a 2.5mm Hex driver.
And the four pillars on the outsides without carbon spanners, got tightened with the 5.5mm socket wrench.

CarbonCore Multicopter

Next the new in-line ESC plates are fitted. Glued at the bottom tabs with super glue. slotted in to place. Then the New Cortex 5K top plate has been temporarily added just to make sure the assembly is straight and flat while the glue dries.

We';ll have a look at the new folding leg assembly next, that can be upgraded to retracts later.

At least flight testing this one should be easy. Naza V2 fimrmware V4.0, gains about <150.  :cool:

CarbonCore Multicopter

The top frame plate has been removed again and the glued assembly checked.
Two regulators need to be fitted, so 3mm holes need to be drilled to fit the regulators on pillars.

There are tiny carbon pieces that fit together to make a damper system assembly for the flight controller plate.
One set slot and glue to the lower from a plate, and the other four to the controller plate.
Common small gimbal dampers are then fitted in between these small plates. More photos to come.

CarbonCore Multicopter

Parts Set for the Cortex 5K Folding Leg Assembly.
These can be upgraded to retracts just by adding the servos.
All threadlocked together with M3 bolts.

CarbonCore Multicopter

Landing Legs assembled. The left photo shows a new part that fits the current Cortex as well as the 5K - it';s a small locking arm that catches over the red grip,
keeping the landing legs locked down.  I drew them slightly the wrong shape and have taken a file to the top one to make it work.

CarbonCore Multicopter

I wanted to fit the Leg assemblies now to keep the Naza regulator, fitted under the lower frame plate, and to also keep the flight controller plate damper assembly, off the workbench, but, the legs don';t stay in.  :-/  I designed the locking pins to go on top of the top plate, instead of on top of the lower plate like in the current Cortex.
This prevents the tops of the retract side panels edging their way out of their slots, and letting the legs stance get wider.
But now on the 5K, they just don';t stay in without the top plate on.
I have realised that this means you have to get the bolts to fasten these flat locking pins, from under the top plate. The lower plate does have these holes in the same location so if I drill them out to 4mm I can get a Hex driver through to fasten the locking pins.

The flight controller damper parts have some tape on while the glue sets.

CarbonCore Multicopter

So the side panels have been drilled and hex pillars fitted to hold the landing legs in place while to top plate';s off.

CarbonCore Multicopter

The landing legs have been un-bolted again to keep the Cortex frame low enough on the bench to work on.
The four ESC Electric-Speed-Controllers have been fastened to the upright plates with foam tape and cable ties, and soldered into a loom that connects all the +ve and -ve cables of the ESC, and a plug to power the two blue regulators, and the DJI Naza Regulator. The two blue regulators are on a Y-lead and their outputs aren';t currently connected to anything.

All the ESC have been individually connected to the throttle channel on a receiver binded to the transmitter, all motors have been plugged-in to their nearest ESC,
and after a continuity check to make sure we';re not just shorting-out the battery when it';s first plugged-in, the frame was powered for the first time to have a look if the motor and ESC';s were doing the right things.

Continuity check to make sure the +ve and -ve aren';t connected together.
Transmitter On: Receiver';s powered from the Naza 5V regulator. And we';re NOT using the Naza Flight Controller at this stage! One ESC plugged in to the throttle channel on the receiver.

Beginning calibrating the ESC:
Throttle stick on the transmitter is high:
Plugging in the main 6S battery all ESC are powered but only one has the signal from the receiver';s throttle channel.
This one made the same beeps as described on the instruction leaflet, bottom left hand of page 2.
And after calibration there was only a small amount of "dead band" at the top and bottom of the throttle stick.
All ESC were calibrated like this, one at a time, and afterwards their motor behaviour was notably all the same.

All motors were working and rotating the correct ways. All sounded the same throughout the throttle range.

Motor 1: Counter Clockwise when viewed from above.
Motor 2: Clockwise
Motor 3: Counter Clockwise
Motor 4: Clockwise

CarbonCore Multicopter

The wires out the frame, at the bottom of the screes: left to right: +5V from Naza Regulator: ESC 2 & 3 Signal cables, ESC 1 & 4 Signal Cables all to go to the Naza Flight Controller. Yellow plug on the far right is the main battery plug, and XT60.

In these photos you can see the small carbon pieces that make up what will be the flight controller damping plate once the tiny grommets have arrived. This can be tuned a little where 4,8 or 12 dampers can be used. I think I';ve got the geometry of it wrong so maybe only 4 or 8 can be used.

CarbonCore Multicopter

With the arms wrapped-up with the cables temporarily left inside until we can fit the flight controller.
Under the Cortex 5K you can see the side plates for the folding legs, and the Naza Regulator where the GPs plugs-in after the shell is fitted.
We added a 10mm hole next to the regulator so a small grommet can be fitted for it';s red and black cables. They we';re long enough to reach the wiring loom and keep it tidy so we drilled a hole in the plate.

The Cortex is working out really nicely as a Quad build, with only four motors and four ESCs. There seems to be lots of space and it';s not as confusing as an X8 with eight motors!

CarbonCore Multicopter

The Cortex 5K frame plate (1.5mm) have the same outline as the standard 2.0mm Carbon Cortex. So the shells fit both Multi-Rotors.