Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 12:10:42

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 30
Total: 31

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

FrSky Taranis XJT Firmware for EU from April 2015

Started by quadfather, Tuesday,May 12, 2015, 03:07:58

Previous topic - Next topic

quadfather

Just a word of caution.

On April 20th FrSky have released a new EU firmware for the XJT radio module, which is the same module as found in the Taranis and Taranis Plus.  This firmware drops support for D8 and LR12 protocols, essentially only allowing the use of X-range receivers (D16).  This means if you perform this upgrade none of the D- or V-range of receivers will work anymore, including the coveted D4R-II.  Uncertain at this point is if Taranis radios from new stock will have this firmware installed already.

QuoteXJT Firmware- EU v1.8.1- Final Version

Compatiblity  :  XJT  /  Taranis X9D  /  Taranis X9D Plus
UpdateTime  :  2015-04-20
Version  :  150413
File Size  :  64KB
MD5  :  NULL
Total downloads  :  225

notes:
1, Complied with CE Regulation V1.8.1;

2, This firmware is only Surpot D16 mode, no D8 and LR12 mode;

3, Firmware for Europe version of XJT module, Built-in XJT of X9D/X9D Plus. Unnecessary do firmware upgrade for Non-European customers.

Source
http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/view.php?sort=&down=203&file=XJT%20Firmware-%20EU%20v1.8.1-%20Final%20Version
-rw-rw-rw-  –  The Number of the Beast

bhazza

Seems an odd move. I';ve jjust ordered the Taranis and the D4R-II from hobbyrc, so I hope this isn';t the case! I';ll let you know what firmware comes on it.

Has anyone had any luck downgrading firmware on these?

Fletch

Empee

I have a V1 Taranis and did the update on it last week. All went well. Now I am using the new 2015 X rx';s with no problems. I have no problems with my old D4r-II';s, I don';t think they are affected by the updates.

You do not need to update your TX but is is illegal to sell an old TX now. Your new TX if from the Eu should have the new 2015 update on it.

If you have the old version all you need to do is downgrade your new 2015 rx';s to the old firmware.
This is getting expensive!

quadfather

Quote from: bhazza on Tuesday,May 12, 2015, 08:09:31
Seems an odd move. I';ve jjust ordered the Taranis and the D4R-II from hobbyrc, so I hope this isn';t the case! I';ll let you know what firmware comes on it.

Has anyone had any luck downgrading firmware on these?

Cheers, bazza.  Fingers crossed you';re good.  :crossfingers:

As far as I know there';s no measure in place that prevents you from downgrading to an older firmware or flashing a non-EU version (yet).  I don';t know where it leaves you legally if you did, so I will not advise you to do it.  ;)

Panther

I believe it is only the current X Series Receivers that won';t work with the new EU firmware. The other D and V  series are unaffected.
If you upgrade you just need to buy the new EU compliant X Series RXs.
I wasn';t aware the LR12 would be affected as well.
Anyway, it shouldn';t worry us in Oz unless it is a world-wide movement in time. (Still won';t worry me)

quadfather

Quote from: Panther on Wednesday,May 13, 2015, 01:15:25
I believe it is only the current X Series Receivers that won';t work with the new EU firmware. The other D and V  series are unaffected.
If you upgrade you just need to buy the new EU compliant X Series RXs.

It';s the transmitter firmware that dropped support for D8 and LR12, so you can';t bind to those RX types anymore.  Someone posted a picture of where you select the protocol mode and it only had D16 EU and Off as choices, but I can';t find it now.  :angry:

Panther

I have a spare DJT FrSky module that plugs in the back. I wonder if that would be a way around it for older RXs.

quadfather

Quote from: Panther on Wednesday,May 13, 2015, 01:25:46
I have a spare DJT FrSky module that plugs in the back. I wonder if that would be a way around it for older RXs.

Yeah, pretty sure that would work.  Even a pre-2015 XJT module should work.  There are other ways around it, for example by messing around with the firmwares.  But if we went by the books using what FrSky gives us we would only be using X-range receivers from now on by the looks of it.  And there is nil explanation why the other protocols were dropped.

I have posted asking for clarification on the OpenTX forums.  Let';s see what they say.

quadfather

I had a response from MikeB, one of the OpenTX developers.

I have been talking to FrSky and this is the situation at present.

The XJT module now only supports D16 mode as D8 mode doesn';t comply with the 2015 EU regulations. It is likely that a D8-EU mode will be added when engineering time is available.

DJT and DHT modules do not comply with 2015-EU regs. so will become unavailable in the EU. It is expected that a XHT (hack) module will be available.

';D'; series receivers also do NOT comply with the 2015-EU regs. The pricing of ';X'; series receivers will reduce to be close to the price of ';D'; series receivers.

FrSky do have the non-EU firmware for the XJT available for download and previously people have downloaded the EU compliant version that still included D8 mode.
So, if you buy a new Taranis in the EU, it may well only support D16 mode in both the application firmware and the XJT module. There are, however, ways to get D8 mode available.

D8 (for now) and LR12 protocols are gone.  No more D receivers, but X ones will be cheaper!  And there';s always the option to flash non-EU firmware if one wants to go down that route, which we already knew.

kilby

Pardon me I appear to be a bit dim.

Is there an alternate repository of old firmwares about (in case FrSky remove them) and also list of recommended firmwares around for both the receivers and the transmitter modules?

I ask as I';m waiting on my Taranis being delivered (new stock from T9) and I wouldn';t like to get myself stuck on a firmware with limited capabilities.

If there isn';t such a repository, I do have a little web space that I could contribute to the most useful firmware versions
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

quadfather

Currently all firmwares (even the buggy ones) are available on FrSky';s site.  Should that ever go down I also have a local repo which I can share. ~~

Sent from my mobile using Crapatalk

kilby

That could be handy.

I was speaking to Richard from T9 as I had ordered an additional X4R-II and was considering changing the order to the X4R-SB however he stated that the D8 modes will not affected and that there was possibly some not quite correct information released.

Anyway I';m waiting for a response from him, and would prefer to be using the X4R-II as I don';t want to have to play about with inverters on the Naze (the pixhawk will be fine in the bundled X8)

I will post any info that I receive later.
Taranis+

quadfather

Quote from: kilby on Wednesday,May 13, 2015, 13:39:03
That could be handy.

I was speaking to Richard from T9 as I had ordered an additional X4R-II and was considering changing the order to the X4R-SB however he stated that the D8 modes will not affected and that there was possibly some not quite correct information released.

Anyway I';m waiting for a response from him, and would prefer to be using the X4R-II as I don';t want to have to play about with inverters on the Naze (the pixhawk will be fine in the bundled X8)

I will post any info that I receive later.

With all due respect to Richard but he probably speaks to sales people.  The info above is from the developers.

I assume you mean the D4R-II?  Those will not have firmware upgrades.  If you already have a Taranis that works with D4R-II and don';t do the firmware upgrades you won';t run into problems.

The problems will crop up if you buy a new X-range receiver.  You must either flash the receiver with an older or non-EU firmware or you must flash the transmitter with the latest EU firmware thus leaving you unable to use your D4R-II.

kilby

Quote from: quadfather on Wednesday,May 13, 2015, 17:23:44
With all due respect to Richard but he probably speaks to sales people.  The info above is from the developers.

I assume you mean the D4R-II?  Those will not have firmware upgrades.  If you already have a Taranis that works with D4R-II and don';t do the firmware upgrades you won';t run into problems.

The problems will crop up if you buy a new X-range receiver.  You must either flash the receiver with an older or non-EU firmware or you must flash the transmitter with the latest EU firmware thus leaving you unable to use your D4R-II.

Didn';t get a response regarding the query, so I am working on the assumption that the developer statement is 100%

I don';t know if my forthcoming TX will have the new firmware or not (as it';s from a batch that T9 received yesterday) but I think I will work on the assumption of the new firmware, therefore I will probably have to make use of the D4R-II, and if it works out of the box then it will have been a bonus.

I firmly believe in not upgrading firmware unless I have to (bug fix or a new feature that I need) hence I am still using Baseflight on my 250 (though I sense the Cleanflight day is approaching)
Taranis+

bhazza

Received my new Taranis today. Didn';t have a chance to poke around the menus, but the label suggest it was made after the new firmware release, so it might be on there. Ironically my D4R arrived in the same package. Is there an easy way to find out what version the Taranis is running?

quadfather

Quote from: bhazza on Wednesday,May 13, 2015, 22:25:31
Received my new Taranis today. Didn';t have a chance to poke around the menus, but the label suggest it was made after the new firmware release, so it might be on there. Ironically my D4R arrived in the same package. Is there an easy way to find out what version the Taranis is running?

Good question.  I have switched to OpenTX as soon as I got my Taranis back in 2013 so I don';t remember the menus.

Try this though, once it';s powered on briefly press the menu button.  That should give you the model setup page.  In there press and hold the enter button and then select create model. Then press the page button once and use the + button to navigate to Mode in the Internal RF section. Press the enter button and then the + or - buttons to cycle through the options.  Let us know what options you get.  It used to be D8, D16, LR12 and Off.  If you have the latest radio module firmware you should see D16 EU and Off only.

kilby

Be interesting to know as mime will hopefully be arriving sometime tomorrow, provided the courier can get the  rowing boat across the North channel in a single night
Taranis+

kilby

Mine is marked B01 UK T9 03/05/2015

So I suspect the new firmware is on board, will get the thing charged and dig about in the menus etc a bit later.

Update 1: Have checked D16 EU is the only receiver option, so its a good job that I bought the upgrade cable(s)

Update 2: OpenTX & Radio firmware updated (had to install a virtual machine to get anything to work on this work laptop)
Taranis+

Empee

Mine came today too.

I have the same sticker inside.

Long press Menu and go to Version. Mine is opentx-x9dp-v2.0.92-eu 2015-02-27

My old one, updated to 2105 last week is opentx-taranis-2.0.15 14-01-15

The gimbals feel smoother and my sliders now work as they should have done. and the SWR stays at 0 if I move the aerial...   ~~

bhazza

My firmware is also opentx-x9dp-v2.0.9.2-eu 2015-02-27 and it only has the D16-eu mode option, so it looks like I';ll be doing some re-fishing tomorrow to make it work with my D4R-II received. Oh well!

Empee

I just flakes mine to OpenTX, now it';s showing D8 and D16.. Phew.. I have a load of D4R-ii rxs';

; )

pheasant_plucker

re-fishing, flakes

The bloke who invented predictive text died this week.
His funfair will be hello on Sundial.  :rolleyes:

Gerry
The man serving me in the canteen said "Look, You can see the face of Jesus in the Margarine" The Asian guy next to me replied "I can't believe it's not Budda"
[url="http://www.namfc.co.uk/pictures/fly.gif"]http://www.namfc.co.uk/pictures/fly.gif[/url]

bhazza

Quote from: MP66 on Sunday,May 17, 2015, 00:00:06
I just flakes mine to OpenTX, now it';s showing D8 and D16.. Phew.. I have a load of D4R-ii rxs';

; )

Which version of openTX did you use. I tried 2.0.17 which the Taranis didn';t like - blank screen and vibrating when I turned it on.

Anyway, I flashed it using the latest firmware on the FrSky website and it';s now version opentx-x9dp-v2.0.9.2. I now have D16, D8 and LR12 :-)

Empee

I think the blank screen is down to you not changing to "Taranis Plus" in the settings and using the standard Taranis..
Now I am on 2017, and its working fine on X4R and D4R-II and telemetry sensors too   ~~

bhazza

Thanks for the heads up - I';ll give it another go.

quadfather

A couple of things of note, in particular about confusing and incorrect terminology found on t';Internet.

FrSky and OpenTX refer to the software that runs on the Taranis (graphics, controls, functions, etc) as the radio firmware.  Then there is the radio module (XJT module) which handles the communication between the Taranis and the receiver.  This has its own firmware called the XJT module firmware, but in some sloppy articles it';s also (incorrectly) just called the radio firmware.  Confused yet?   :frantic:

In January 2015 FrSky issued a XJT module firmware to comply with EU legislation.  They also issued firmware upgrades for the X-range receivers for the same reason.  This January upgrade was still able to bind with D8, D16 and LR12 type receivers, however older D16 type receivers (X4R, X6R, X8R) required their own firmware to be upgraded in order to bind.*  Receivers manufactured in 2015 don';t need this upgrade.

A short time after FrSky released an EU radio firmware in which the menu entries to select D8 and LR12 were removed, and units manufactured at that time came with that firmware.  Note that flashing the radio firmware does not affect the XJT module.  If you replaced the FrSky Taranis firmware with OpenTX then all receiver types were available again, since OpenTX has not limited this selection.  You would still have to upgrade your X-range receivers in order to bind though.*

Enter April and FrSky has released a further XJT radio module EU firmware which completely removed the D8 and LR12 protocols.  If you bought a Taranis manufactured after late April you have this firmware and even flashing OpenTX will not give you D8 and LR12 back.  Your only option is to revert to an older EU or a non-EU firmware.  You will have to make sure to match firmwares for any new X-range receivers you buy.

I don';t know the exact date when a new Taranis has completely lost the ability to use D8 and LR12.  The April XJT firmware was released on April 20th, so I reckon anything manufactured shortly after that.

* Radio Firmware is the operating system, e.g. FrSky or OpenTX
* XJT module is the link between the radio and the receiver and has its own firmware
* D8 receivers are those beginning with V or D (V = no telemetry, D = with telemetry)
* D16 receivers are those beginning with X
* There';s currently only one LR12 receiver, the L9R

Clear as mud, I hope. ~~

* In D16 mode.

Flyka737

Hello guys, thanks for the infos, escpecially Quadfather!
One more question. Now i only see one new firmware on the frsky website (OpenTx v2.0.9.2) for the the TX, not internal module. Is that the EU version or the Non-EU? I can see the XJT-EU and XJT-Non-EU firmware, but are there any differences between the firmware i have on my new Eu compliant X9D+ which is a v2.0.9.2 and the one that exists on the website? Or they are the same, and now there is only one opentx for the + on the FrSky website which is for both the Eu and non-Eu Taranis, and the difference in modes, and removed D8 and Lr12 exists only in the two XJT firmwares, can someone confirm that? Also, what';s the deal with OpenTx 2.0.1.7 from official OpenTx website? I';m planning on downgrading the XJT and staying with the v2.0.9.2 OpenTx, but first i would like to know what';s the deal here! :)

Cheers and early thanks for the answers!

quadfather

Quote from: Flyka737 on Saturday,May 23, 2015, 09:39:35
Hello guys, thanks for the infos, escpecially Quadfather!
One more question. Now i only see one new firmware on the frsky website (OpenTx v2.0.9.2) for the the TX, not internal module. Is that the EU version or the Non-EU? I can see the XJT-EU and XJT-Non-EU firmware, but are there any differences between the firmware i have on my new Eu compliant X9D+ which is a v2.0.9.2 and the one that exists on the website? Or they are the same, and now there is only one opentx for the + on the FrSky website which is for both the Eu and non-Eu Taranis, and the difference in modes, and removed D8 and Lr12 exists only in the two XJT firmwares, can someone confirm that? Also, what';s the deal with OpenTx 2.0.1.7 from official OpenTx website? I';m planning on downgrading the XJT and staying with the v2.0.9.2 OpenTx, but first i would like to know what';s the deal here! :)

Cheers and early thanks for the answers!

The radio firmware that comes with the Taranis is based on OpenTX and the latest FrSky version is based on OpenTX 2.0.9.  There was for a short while an EU version of this firmware which removed the ability to select D8 and LR12, but that was a cosmetic change as it didn';t affect the XJT module.  Now that the latest XJT module EU firmware has D8 and LR12 support removed there is not need for this cosmetic change anymore and the radio firmware is the same for the EU and non-EU versions.  Remember, the radio firmware is independent of the XJT firmware.

The deal with OpenTX is that it sees active development and regular updates.  It also has a number of features that are not available with the stock firmware.  Flashing OpenTX to your Taranis will not invalidate EU compliance if that is your concern, that is entirely dependent on the XJT module firmware.

IMO, you can';t go wrong with OpenTX.  Give it a try and see how you get on with it.  If you don';t like it you can flash the stock firmware back.

Flyka737

Thank you very much! So the X9D+ 2.0.9.2 firmware i can find on the frsky website is the one that is currently on my taranis! :) I was wondering cause if i take a look at the radio infos it says 2.0.9.2-eu