Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 23:32:07

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

TBS Build

Started by Jumpy07, Monday,January 28, 2013, 11:04:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumpy07

There are quite a few people on the forum with TBS Discovery Frames.. so apologies this has probably been done to death..

This is my build. have everything so far apart from OSD.. and batteries which are on their way..

• TBS Discovery Frame
  • 900Kv Torxpower 2216 210w Motors
  • 30a DJI Opto ESC';s
  • Naza M with GPS
  • Cyclops OSD
  • ImmersionRX 5.8Ghz tx
  • WDR 700 FPV Camera
  • Zippy 4000mah 4S Batteries
  • 12v UBEC for VideoTX and Camera
  • LC Filter for above
  • 9x4.7 RCtimer Carbon props
  • FrSky D8R-XP Telemetry RX
BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

teslahed

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

mickyt

If someone throw's a stone at you throw a flower at them just remember to throw the pot with it.

maddog7

Jumpy,
If your going to use the FPV camera mount mine was a bit slack in the slots,
I streched a little bit of amalgam tape over the tongues to stop the free play.
D

neagron

Looking good craig,im all ready jealous,look forward to a video of it flying,Marty, :beer2: :scotland:

Jumpy07

Cheers guys,

The arms are rock solid compared to the ones on my reptile frame with clone DJI arms..
FPV camera is metal cased WDR 700 .. still waiting on Cyclops OSD.. so cant do too much..
Tiger motor wires are really long.. so will have to re-do the bullets.. for the DJI Opto ESC';s
Just trying to figure out where to put everything..
I think I can keep the GoPro in is protective housing.. 
I am like a kid on Christmas morning.. don';t know what to open next :-)

mickyt

The torxpower motor wires were the same I had to chop loads off.  My camera plate is a snug fit I';ve also ordered moongel for the gopro.
If someone throw's a stone at you throw a flower at them just remember to throw the pot with it.

Jumpy07

ESC';s mounted.. and soldered.. used hot glue to hold them on the arms..

also mounted NAZA UBEC under on of the ESC';s..

Motor bolts supplied with  motors are too short.. so have ordered some longer ones..

neagron

Looking good,hope the weather improves to get the maiden in,Marty. :scotland:

mickyt

You should have the bolts in the kit for the mine had them to fit the torxpower motors can';t think of the size but you should have two sizes

Jumpy07

Cheers Micky... just found another packet of screws in with the Lipo strap that I missed.. still seem a bit short.. but should do with a bit of thread lock

PS: Really like these motors.. 

Craig

mickyt

Hi Craig they should be fine mine just poke through the motor base but only just when I spoke to Geoff he said this was perfectly ok so long as you thread lock  ~~

Gaza07

Looking good Craig ive always said the original dji arms are stronger than the clone arms  ~~
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

Jumpy07

I had nothing to compare them with before.. but difference is night and day... that said I think the DJI arms would break more easily... but the copies on my Reptile def  flex far too much..

Jumpy07

Spent some time trying to figure out best way to wire up the OSD, Camera and Video TX

As I am not using the TBS core.. the option is just to wire up seperately..

But have decided to use the pins and sockets to make the kit easier to remove.. . have metered all of the sockets and pins.. and its straightforward..  so will solder in the cables for the Cyclops OSD where the Core normally sits.. and use the cables and plugs supplied for the video TX and camera to make up custom leads for them.

I have a voltage regulator and LC filter that I will solder in to allow me to power the camera a video TX from the 4S battery... just trying to find best place to put regulator as it can be quite noisey..

One thing I still have to sort out... is whether to use the onboard current shunt.. (which is only 50a) or use the seperate 90a one that comes with the OSD...

eyeflying

Using the TBS Core is a much better solution than separate power supplies and filters - is there a reason you decided against the Core?

Jumpy07

I think that';s the case if you are not using a separate OSD,  you can disable the OSD in the core, but it is known to have problems if you do so.. also core is expensive just to use a regulator and filter £60.
Separate LC filter and UBEC will be higher quality of what is in the Core..  advantage of the core is the shield of course.. so swings and roundabouts... 

eyeflying

Quote from: Jumpy07 on Tuesday,January 29, 2013, 09:24:50
I think that';s the case if you are not using a separate OSD,  you can disable the OSD in the core, but it is known to have problems if you do so.. also core is expensive just to use a regulator and filter £60.
Separate LC filter and UBEC will be higher quality of what is in the Core..  advantage of the core is the shield of course.. so swings and roundabouts... 

Makes sense. Although I hadn';t heard of problems when disabling the OSD. What I do like on the Core is the ability to choose either 12v or 5v for the TX and Camera independently - many cameras need 12v whilst most transmitters need 5v.

mickyt

Well I finally had mine fired up today reconfigured from hex to quad and got the motors spinning up the right way  full throttle everything seems fine. I';ve now run out of cable ties so can';t finish putting mine together untill I get some. How are you getting on with yours Craig?.

Jumpy07

Good one Micky.. looking forward to first flight video :-).. wheres the pics ?

Not done much to mine.. been putting new legs and hat on HAL as bits arrived from HK today...

Waiting on OSD to finish wiring on TBS.. so standstill now until it arrives..

Batteries havent arrived yet either but my 4s 4000mah nanotech Turnigy fits..     one question.. the two supports infront on the battery have three positions they can be fitted in .. where did you fit yours ?

Ordered some more Rctimer 9" Carbon props for it..   cant seem to get any Graupner 9" anywhere in stock..  but I quite like the carbon Rctimer props anyway.

Swithering to buy a 9XR and openlrs Orange Tx and RX kit for it .. as HK have the 9XR back in stock..

mickyt

Craig the two central supports I used the middle of the three positions I';m hoping this will also be near as damn it my c of g for the GPS antenna to go but I still need to mount the vtx and osd. Ill check CofG then configure the GPS in assistant I';ve got props on and tested the throttle up but it wants to go left so GPS is out I';m still on hex values too so ill see how this performs then if its a bit out of control ill use trappys settings.

Jumpy07

Made up a couple of diagrams, to explain what I am doing with using the tracks and connections for my third party OSD, I will use the cables and sockets rather than the pins so that the kit can be removed easily.  Not sure yet if the Cyclops OSD can use the onboard current sensor.. but easy to wire up from the pads.

maddog7

Since were showing off our discos, here';s mine:

[attach=1]

I';m NOT funny like am I  :rolleyes:

It';s using the core, trueblood DJI arms, APM 2.5 V2.9 FW with 3dr telemetry and GPS, AR7610 with sat and TM1000 module for rc link quality alerts (for what good that might be)
Motors are the Turnigy 860kv things and are very well balanced out of the box, props are APC 11"x5.5" cut down to 10" and rebalanced. There';s no jelly in the GP output that I can detect in the bedroom test.
ESC';s are HK F30a with simonK firmware,
FPV cam is el cheapo HK thing until I decide which way to go for a decent one (Seawolf/WDR600?)
Using a fatshark Attitude SD combo.
Battery is a Turnigy Blue 3s 4000mah and vertical is "positive" rather than great.

Do you guys think I should start a new thread to show it off?
It';s not flown outdoors yet.
:-)
D

maddog7

maddog7

maddog7

Coz I used a longish battery I had to put the posts as far forward as they would go, it balances dead on COG.

Jumpy, check out the Vin2, I think if you use the core the Vin2 is disabled rather than available, I had a bit of a mare when I found it was shorted and spent ages looking for my mistake when in fact it was supposed to be like that according to Trappy on the FPVlab forum.

Instead of using Velcro on the battery and battery deck I wound some amalgam tape around the deck just inside the Velcro guide slots and with the battery strapped down it';s going nowhere but is a doddle to remove when necessary.

:-)
D

Jumpy07

Quote from: maddog7 on Tuesday,January 29, 2013, 18:33:31
Since were showing off our discos, here';s mine:

[attach=1]

I';m NOT funny like am I  :rolleyes:

Was that before of after the fire ?  :rolleyes:

Looks good.. would put a lens protector on the GoPro though..

I have one of my APM';s on a reptile / tbs clone style frame.. running 2.9

There are quite a few TBS owners on here now.. how about I get Gary to create a sub area on the forum ?

Yeah Vin 2 is disabled.. although I metered it and was getting slight resistance to ground on both pins....   noticed some components on bottom plate up near the shunt... not sure what they are for.. need to investigate .... but wondered if they were connected to Vin in some way..... the core normally gets its power from the pins from the shunt. (three pins in middle on the right)

Still don';t know if the onboard shunt will work with the Cyclops.. the Cyclops doesent have any tuning for voltage or current measurement.. so shunt would have to supply correct volts per amp.

I have the pins in middle position.. if I move them to furthest away the batt will hit the wires from the FC...  so will leave as is.. unless its a problem.. will be running 399gram 4s 4000mah..  haven';t done a balance test yet ..

maddog7

Yeah, I was thinking about getting one of those "eye patch" doohickey things to cover only the lens.
Not sure of the easiest place to get one?

Oh, while I think on, have you seen this:

This lad seems to be having issues with range with the Orange RX Open LRS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN-020sj1JE

I did think about getting one too but with a ton of ££ in the air I think I might go for the EZuhf with the 459 UK FW?

It might be daftness on his part or it could just be an isolated problem but worth knowing.

I presumed that the small components next to the shunt were something to do with the current sensor bit of the core but I have no idea what!

A sub area for the Disco and clones thereof would be a good idea I think.

I think my batt does actually just touch one of the esc cables but I don';t think it';ll cause any problems (famous last words!)

I';m just hoping the weather gets a bit better  :banghead: so I can get the darn thing test flown LOS and get it trimmed and tested.

I do have an issue with the core though, whenever it';s inline and powered up I get diagonal ghosted black/white scrolling patterns on the viewing device.
I';ve emailed trappy and posted about it on FPVlab but not heard back yet.  :hmm:

I';d love to get a brushless gimbal system up and running for it but until Alexmos starts flogging his or some benevolent soul comes out with an open source version I guess I';ll try the super simple gimbal when my kk2 boards arrive from HK.

:smiley:
D

Jumpy07

I just bought a lens protector from the states for the GoPro 3.. but there is a design issue with it... the 2 is available from here http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=817 LayerLens

Thanks for the video re: the orange LRS...  been reading the thread on RCG..  others have tested 3km + ..with stock antennas....  so something wrong..  he says stock firmware apart from RSSI.. you really need to upgrade the firmware.. and set the tx power.. something not right there..

EzUHF kit is good.. but way more power than I would need on a multi.. and a lot more expensive..  my FrSky kit will probably go as far as I need..  .. but would like the confidence that 459mhz would give you.. also less issues round hard objects etc..

Saw some other posts re: core osd lines.. do you have the shield ?

PS: I have a gimbal running on my APM 2.5 quite well.. good quality metal geared servos make a big difference..  also on the APM better to use the ESC outputs (rather than A** for the gimbal servos as they run at a higher refresh rate... think A** run at 50hz..by default.... that said some servos have issue with the high refresh.. so some trial and error required.

maddog7

Craig,
Some great info there mate thank you very much.  :beer2:

Have you ordered from RMRC before? If you have did you get stung for duty?

That';s good news on the Open LRS, I';d definitely consider one of those, Looks very promising as long as the QC is decent.
I think I read somewhere that it can do 459MHz too. Even at 100mw it should be good for range?

I was just erring on the side of EZuhf since I perceived it as better quality, there might not be much in it except price?

I don';t suppose you remember where you saw the Core OSD lines posts do you Craig, it';s quite annoying and I';d love to find a solution? I did try searching but couldn';t find anything the same as my issues. I did even wonder if it was something environmental in or around the house that affected only the core, I don';t have the shield but I did make one from alu foil and cardboard and taped it to ground, it made no difference at all. I';m not sure if a single thickness of aluminum foil would be enough but I thought it would be enough to at least make some difference?

I fancied the brushless gimbal since IMHO the results are approaching the Zenmuse and will only get better as the SW and HW is thrashed out but am very interested in maybe using the APM gimbal. TBH I';d not even thought of using it  :banghead:

My first thought using a servo gimbal would have been to use either heli tail gyro servos or possibly better, 1/8th rallycross servos which are virtually unstoppable and very fast, if a little heavy. Tail servos would be fine with a higher refresh, not sure about the rallycross ones.
Actually, new gen cyclic servos can be very fast and very strong? I don';t even know if that';s a desirable quality in a gimbal servo. Thinking back I might have a couple of 9202';s left over from my 3dnt, whilst not fast or particularly powerful they were super smooth.

Did you just use the wiki http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Camera to set yours up or was there a better thread to follow?

Sorry to batter you head with so many more questions after you';ve already helped so much.
:smiley:
D