Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 04:41:51

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

KISS pops, Flydrino.net comes to the rescue

Started by JAB1a, Friday,February 06, 2015, 14:47:12

Previous topic - Next topic

JAB1a

Hi All,

I had some great flights the other day with my Spanky 5 running some 12A KISS ESC and Micro Titan 2204 2300Kv motors running Cleanflight and oneshot.

After my second flight I decided to have one more fly, got up in the air and was cruising around at about half throttle when suddenly the quad felt like it had lost one of the two blades of one of the front props, I did an instant forward decent and landed a fair distance from myself. I walked over and inspected the quad, all looked fine, motors were all slightly warm (non felt any warmer than the others), all the heatshrink around the ESC';s were the same shape and no extra heat so I thought it must of been a strange glitch. Tried to take off via LOS and the front left motor was twitching and spinning up at half throttle. So I packed up and went home.

The next day I decided to strip the quad down to check all components and my soldering joints, this is when I found this...

At first I just thought it was a burnt chip, then I noticed it had unsoldered itself and fried. The ESC was mounted on the bottom plate of the Spanky with this side facing down so it had no physical forced applied to it for the chip to be moved, seems it popped, fried and then kept heating up until the solder melted.

Well I searched the net and found a few other people had experienced one of these 6 chips to blow up (normally during heavy use) but never seen one that had moved (unless it was cremated). I sent this photo and what happened on the day with all the specs of my quad to Flydrino.net (place I purchased the ESC';s) and I got a reply within 24hours saying they have already popped one in the post to me that should be here in days.

~~ Well done Flydrino.net, they already had me hooked with their excellent products and service before and during sales but their after sale service is just as good. All round excellent service, so I can not recommend them enough to anyone who is thinking of purchasing from them in the future.

Paulham

So do you think this is a quality control issue with the components or a problem with overheating?

If it is overheating then putting the ESC under the prop wash will keep it nice and cool.

kilby

I know that there have been QC issues in the past, solder beads, misaligned chips and other things.

Though they do seem to be addressing the production issues and they seem to look after customers.

I had been watching developments regarding the witespy hug esc';s but they seem to be suffering from something close to a 50% failure rate and seemingly no support.
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

Paulham

Sounds good that they are sorting it .

There is a parts seller in the US who has ';HugESC';

I read that one guy brought 9 of them and nearly all of them popped on power up.

The problem is that the seller is doing so well he ignores his emails and it can take months for a refund or replacement

kilby

I edited to mention witespy but to be honest they are notorious for not responding when their osd,  flight controllers or anything else are faulty, so I suppose the hug & bearhug issues are no surprise
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

JAB1a

Not too sure what the main issue was, I didn';t inspect all the solder points on all the esc';s before installing but I will check them all now to see if the rest have any issues that could cause an issue in the future.

Checking the unshrunk heat shrink that the ESC was sitting it, there is a 2mm circle depression/pinch/shrink mark where the chip would have been so seems the only heat was this chip. In the field non of the esc seemed warm to touch with the motors at a slight warm feel, thinking about it I have never felt my Afros or KISS ESCs hot so I must not be pushing it enough lol.

I hope I will be getting the v1.1 sent as a replacement as I see the solder pads are bigger.

Not sure what has happened to Witespy site witespyquad.gostorego.com seems to be gone, anyone know why? as that';s where I got my Sparky board

Paulham

It';s changed to readytoflyquads.com now

JAB1a

10 day turn around for me to get the replacement KISS ESC from Germany...

I have been sent the 1.1 version of the 12Amp KISS ESC, I had the v1.0 with the smaller solder pads and it seems different chips...

V1.0
Big Chip X1 = Amtel 1420 TINY461A XU
Small Chip x6 = M3C030 0881 142B4

v1.1
Big chip = Amtel 1441 TINY461A XU
Small Chip x6 = 7524 GV4Z11

The solder job and quality on the v1.1 seems a lot better and neater but I guess these are hand made due to components being slightly misaligned

Left: V1.0 with burnt FET
Right: V1.1
Above: Anti Stat bag for the v1.1
Sorry about huge image

JAB1a

Well another KISS V1 bites the dust. This time there was no warning, after arming the quad and then applying throttle (the props only just started to move so about 5% throttle) the quad went pop and started to produce lovely purple magic smoke from between the bottom plates. This is what I found...

Lets see if Flydrino will still be replacing them  :crossfingers:

Here is the video from this one going up in smoke...

FPV Spanky Smokin HOT

Revs

Might be a good idea to ask them to replace all 4 (or the remaining 3 v1';s) before your quad gets damaged. I think mine are the v1.1 but I';m gonna double check now..

DarkButterfly

Is it shorting or arcing over?

One of the FETs has been totally obliterated
Why use 4 motors when you can use 6?

YouTube channel
[url="https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386"]https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386[/url]

JAB1a

Quote from: DarkButterfly on Monday,March 02, 2015, 10:10:24
Is it shorting or arcing over?

One of the FETs has been totally obliterated

lol chips on the other side have also moved due to the heat, I think the movment on the chips is a reaction to the mess rather than the cause of the mess

robshaw

I';ve just had a faulty 12a esc from flyduino too. One of the FETs sparked and burned on initial power up on a new build 250. Initially thought I';d perhaps wired up incorrectly but I hadn';t.
Anyway, I emailed flyduino and they sent a replacement with no questions asked. Took less than a week to arrive. I still haven';t finished the build but from what I hear about these escs, coupled with the first class service from flyduino I would still recommend them regardless of having had a faulty unit.
Tunrnigy Talon Tri, TBS Discovery, TBS Discovery PRO, Spnky 250 Mini, EZUHF, EZOSD

JAB1a

Cheers Rob, I will still be using them on the Spanky 6 but my confidence has now weaken because this is the second one to pop, this one sounds like what you had happen apart from these had been used quite a bit and then the next day it popped.

I will give them a break as it is V1';s that are popping but then I have not put a v1.1 in yet to test. My replacement ESC was replaced and on my door in ten days from my first support email. Dirk seems to be the guy I talk to in emails.

JAB1a

Oh the list continues.

One more KISS has let go of all the magic smoke and somehow unlocked the smoke gates in the motor too this time which has left them both useless...

So Im going to get this one replaced and sell all the working KISS ESC';s I have, never had so much trouble from something that gives so much fun and thats too high a price to pay in my mind. 5x12a and 5x18A going up for sale soon if anyone is interested (lol not the best advert for them)

Revs

dougc

JAB1a

Quote from: Revs on Friday,April 17, 2015, 10:02:53
Feck :( How many of those are v1.1';s?

So far only the V1';s have gone pop, currently only one v1.1 on the frame and the rest are/were V1';s. That';s the last I will be using them which is a shame.

jamesb72

Salesman of the year nomination must be in the post, really glad I dodged the bullet after you stitched me up :-)

I';d be trying to get the remaining v1s swapped for v1.1 and sell them new in bag!

JAB1a

Quote from: jamesb72 on Friday,April 17, 2015, 12:14:30
Salesman of the year nomination must be in the post, really glad I dodged the bullet after you stitched me up :-)

I';d be trying to get the remaining v1s swapped for v1.1 and sell them new in bag!

To say they are awesome and anyone should buy them from me would only be half the truth and I couldn';t be so harsh, they are awesome...when they work  ~~

Got another V1.1 winging its way to me now as a replacement  :crossfingers: so will put an ad up later in the month. All my 18Amp KISS ESCs are the v1.1 and are still sealed in their anti-static bags.

teslahed

I';m tempted to buy the V1.1 18 amp KISS ESCs from you. I need one to replace the one that got broken last weekend and having one or two spare might be a good thing.

So far i';ve been lucky - i';ve only ever broken a KISS ESC after a really hard crash.

How many V1.1 18 amp KISS ESCs do you have in total and how much do you want for them?
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

JAB1a

Quote from: teslahed on Friday,April 17, 2015, 14:07:40
I';m tempted to buy the V1.1 18 amp KISS ESCs from you. I need one to replace the one that got broken last weekend and having one or two spare might be a good thing.

So far i';ve been lucky - i';ve only ever broken a KISS ESC after a really hard crash.

How many V1.1 18 amp KISS ESCs do you have in total and how much do you want for them?

I will check later but I normally buy what I need plus one so should have 5 but I have a horrible feeling I only got four due to lack of funds at the exact time of purchase. I will take some pics and PM you tonight mate

Revs

If it';s only the V1';s that have died, why sell the v1.1';s?

JAB1a

Quote from: Revs on Friday,April 17, 2015, 14:24:14
If it';s only the V1';s that have died, why sell the v1.1';s?

One of my moto';s in life is ';Trust until trust is broken';, I no longer have any confidence in the quad fitted with KISS ESC';s, I know everyone has different experiences. Fair enough once or twice I could and did still carry on using them (albeit a mix of V1 and v1.1) but after the third time- its past just something that might happen. Each time I plug the quad in now I';m thinking ';will this be the time they burn up?';, wouldn';t dare do any long distance runs due to the fear of it setting Dartmoor alight before I could get to the frame to unplug the lipo, also now that this one decided to also take a motor out with it...well that';s the last nail in the coffin for my use of them. Regardless of V1 or V1.1 I have seen the same effects/symptoms/lead up to these failing on both versions so I have had enough, I';m not going to risk the rest of the frame and equipment just to ';try out'; the V1.1 in the hope they don';t go up in flames, seems a reasonable reaction to me.

As Chris mentioned he has nothing but good service from his KISS ESCs so it proves they can be very reliable and I am not condemning them at all, just saying they are not for me anymore  ~~

JT

They are not the most reliable are they.....

If you are selling your 18A ones(and TH hasn';t already bought them all from you) I am desperate for one (preferably 2) as I have been grounded for 3 weeks with a dead one :cry :cry  I pulled the wires off one in a big crash and the positive wire found it';s way back inside the heatshrink and blew the main chip...

Revs

One of mine died last night while running with no props. The initial test was ok but the motor spun in the wrong direction, so I bridged JP2. But then as soon as I attached the battery it made a buzz and started smoking, so I unplugged it within 1 sec. This is the result..

[attachimg=1]

JAB1a

Unlucky Revs, does not seem to be a rule or rhyme to when they decide to pop  :(

Revs

I';m unsure as to whether I overheated it while soldering JP2. If that';s the case it';s very easily done as I was very careful. It didn';t pop as such, just shorted.

Of course Flyduino are out of stock.

Is there any reason we couldn';t get the same result with Afro ESCs flashed with the latest SimonK FW and COMP_PWM enabled?

Revs

If anyone feels like parting with a v1.1 18a esc I';ll have it off them. If I swap ESC';s it means a full rebuild of my Trifecta as the rear ESC is in the middle of the frame.. which I';ve just spend hours building.

I';ve messaged Flyduino but they have no stock, plus they take a few days to respond and I really want to get flying.

Revs

I';ve ordered some Afro 20A slim ESCs from HKUK. I';ve already got a 10-pin USBASP and ATMEL flashing tool and I';ve downloaded the BLHeli v13 software. Gonna have to strip the Trifecta :( but hopefully this setup will be similar to the KISS ESCs without the reliability issues. Apperently these Afro 20A slims support OneShot and Damped Light.