User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Icefever: At last the TX is talking to the FC...now I can get on with sorting out the next part
    December 14, 2017, 15:40:20
  • Icefever: Bad R...I have matey here..[link].
    December 12, 2017, 15:30:28
  • Bad Raven: IF/A7, a summary thread would enable more people to look and comment, its too big here!
    December 12, 2017, 07:05:40
  • Icefever: I've set the failsafe in the TX setting that's all..there's no connection between the TX and quad. at all..
    December 12, 2017, 03:40:10
  • Icefever: Andy..I've only messed with the failsafe one...but not in Beta.
    December 12, 2017, 03:38:04
  • Andy7: Ice: Is it just that it's not arming? Have you set the switch settings in betaflight?
    December 11, 2017, 21:24:23
  • Two-Six: Fixed it yet Ice?
    December 11, 2017, 15:04:23
  • hoverfly: ffs.. :rofl: :rofl:
    December 11, 2017, 14:51:15
  • Bad Raven: No, a nun falling down stairs...............
    December 11, 2017, 14:01:01
  • DarkButterfly: :laugh:
    December 11, 2017, 12:27:30
  • hoverfly: you are probably on a zebra crossing. ::)
    December 11, 2017, 09:49:42
  • Bad Raven: Everything went white, black, white, and is now mostly black again.............
    December 10, 2017, 16:55:37
  • hoverfly: everything has gone white. :shrug:
    December 10, 2017, 12:21:29
  • Icefever: Hi Andy I have a prob with the Tx.  it's bound to the rx but when I try the either gimbel nothing happens....I have a green led on the rx..when connected to beta I can run up the motors but nothing else??help
    December 10, 2017, 09:23:12
  • Andy7: Perfect day to have shaved off the beard.... :(
    December 10, 2017, 09:17:17
  • Saleem: Just dont do it facing the wind
    December 09, 2017, 19:36:25
  • hoverfly: AGHHH  yellow snow warning  :laugh:
    December 09, 2017, 18:49:57
  • Bajadre: sounds a fair price mate
    December 08, 2017, 16:47:54
  • VaNDAL_UK: What would a Walkera 250 PRO with FatShark Predator v2's be worth? I was thinking £250 ish?!
    December 08, 2017, 16:13:15
  • atomiclama: found it
    December 08, 2017, 14:32:26

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: GoPro or Clone?  (Read 20622 times)

Offline teslahed

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Liked: 1671
GoPro or Clone?
« on: January 02, 2013, 16:21:36 »
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Offline homersainty

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 8
Re: GoPro or Clone?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 16:31:38 »
i think chipko has one of these but he don';t seem to get on much latley maybe worth throwing him a pm
If you find yourself in danger of being taken seriously, then try to do something which undermines or sabotages that perception in some way.

Offline teslahed

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 16:52:32 »

A couple of chipkos video';s taken with the RCtimer camera I';m considering.

Offline Biffa

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 975
  • Fly more, worry less!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 17:02:34 »
I';m considering one of these:

Or this one:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 17:15:45 by Biffa »
Steve

Offline eyeflying

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 17:22:27 »

Offline teslahed

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 17:33:38 »
Thanks eyeflying - i think i will be waiting to see how that pans out for you :crossfingers:

Definitely seems worth considering at that price.

Offline teslahed

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 18:50:39 »

Offline eyeflying

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 19:07:52 »

Offline teslahed

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 20:17:26 »
Thanks for your honest opinion - I';m in two minds about whether i should spend the money on the top of the line go-pro 3 (at the possibly reduced price you think you may be able to get them at) or just go for the cheaper extremecam HD camera.

I don';t have to make a decision immediately so i will probably still wait to see how things pan out with your possibly cheap(ish) go-pros and then look at my bank balance.

Features like the high FPS full HD video that the Go-Pro 3 can shoot make it stand out from the slightly cheaper HD cameras - but as you say, for youtube it';s not exactly critical.

Offline bunnygirl80

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 580
    • Drone Filming Wales
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 21:24:31 »
Always smile because you never know who could be falling in love with it. :) www.aerialworx.co.uk

Offline Jumpy07

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 966
  • What goes up.. must come down..
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 22:27:24 »

First camera I tried on my quad was the keychain 720p camera.. which was pretty good considering the price.. but terrible in low light...

I have tried a Fuji non HD digital camera on my Quad which gave good results..  it had stabilisation built in..

Tried a Panasonic HD Lumix that was crap.. really bad jellow..

My Kodak Zx3i action camera was good but odd hardware size / format..    but did 60fps at 720p

720p at high FPS does seem the sweet spot for Multis...  slow mo is very good...

I allways thought GoPro';s were overpriced until the GoPro 3 Black came out... I know its expensive but nothing touches it for the weight / size and price at the moment.

The other thing that made me go for the GoPro is the accessories  / gimbals that you get for them.. even more so for fixed wing planes..

PS: No way I would out any of my Canon EOS SLR';s on a multi.... def not the way I fly anyway :-)
BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

Offline eyeflying

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 22:51:48 »
Hmmm - We could get really technical here about pixel density vs image quality but at the end of the day (and in my previous life in Film and TV) we always used to say "Content is King" - basically, its more important to capture good subject matter and frame it well rather than get too wrapped up in the technical merits of the video or photograph.

I';ve seen some brilliant photographs taken with a disposable camera and conversely, a friend of mine (with more money than sense) takes rubbish pictures with a Canon 5D Mk3!

So, why choose a GoPro?

I';ve got a Hero3 Black Edition - all singing and dancing - Hi-Res 4K images etc., etc. but the reality is... I';ll probably never ever use that mode, nor will I probably ever use it to shoot 1080p at 60fps (incidentally - I';ve said this before, but in the UK and Europe we should be shooting 50fps and NOT 60fps - thats for NTSC - we';re PAL).

What we need to ask ourselves is why? - what do we want the camera for? - I think 95% of people on this forum want their cameras to fix to their quads, take some great aerial footage and then share it on YouTube - and for this purpose, the best settings you';ll ever need is 25fps 1920x1080 - even then, 1280x720 is still good enough. OK, if you want super sharp slo-mo, then a higher frame rate will achieve that.

The big problem you hit with shooting mega high quality video is editing it - once you start using the higher resolutions you';re going to need a powerful computer and some really fast AV drives to handle the data rate (unless of course you compress the video and then you';re dropping the quality!).

OK - I';ll witter on for ever on this and get very boring - so why do I like GoPro Hero 3';s (I don';t like the Hero 2 too much though)

1. yes, the quality is really good for is relatively low cost
2. Spares are readily available (if you crash and break the lens you can find a replacement)
3. You can change the field of view (Ultra wide, Medium, Narrow)
4. Built-in Wi-fi - absolutely brilliant! - you can change all the setting and frame your shots - from your phone! - what other comparable camera does that?!
5. Its small - its light - perfect for strapping to a small quad
6. Finally, its got good 2nd hand value if you decide to change it for a newer model (Hero 2';s are still selling well) so the actual cost of owning a GoPro is the difference between what you buy it for and what you sell it for (if you ever do!).

But am I happy strapping a GoPro to my Quad? Still a difficult one to answer! - I know I';ll get better images from a GoPro but its still not an 80 quid camera.... Oh. all right... yes, I';ll do it - shove the GoPro on the quad and pray!

Wow - I really could go on for ever about this (can';t you tell its a subject close to my heart?) - but I won';t.

Buy a GoPro!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 23:07:59 by eyeflying »

Offline teslahed

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 23:17:11 »
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 23:29:42 by teslahed »

Offline eyeflying

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 23:39:52 »
Definitely true, but i still wish I';d had a gopro on this day;
(and a more stable aircraft as a camera platform...)

I know what you mean - days like that are rare. But I think in this case, a more stable platform would have been more beneficial than a GoPro - but ideally, it would have been great to have both!

Offline eyeflying

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 16:23:03 »
My initial batch of ';cheap'; GoPro 3';s (Silver) arrived today. I was initially a little suspicious as they don';t have any serial number sticker inside them so I thought they may be copies but apparently not. I';ve thoroughly tested one of them and it worked perfectly - I even updated the software via GoPro';s site - it connected OK and the camera was verified by GoPro. I configured the wireless App and that worked perfectly too - so far, so good  :crossfingers: Still haven';t got the batteries though - they arrive on Monday - very happy with this little purchase - they';ll be on eBay on Moday!

Offline Biffa

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 975
  • Fly more, worry less!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 16:32:05 »
My initial batch of ';cheap'; GoPro 3';s (Silver) arrived today. I was initially a little suspicious as they don';t have any serial number sticker inside them so I thought they may be copies but apparently not. I';ve thoroughly tested one of them and it worked perfectly - I even updated the software via GoPro';s site - it connected OK and the camera was verified by GoPro. I configured the wireless App and that worked perfectly too - so far, so good  :crossfingers: Still haven';t got the batteries though - they arrive on Monday - very happy with this little purchase - they';ll be on eBay on Moday!

Any chance of uploading a sample video?
Steve

Offline eyeflying

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 16:48:06 »
Any chance of uploading a sample video?

Yes, I wanted to fully test the video myself but I wanted to do it properly with good light so I';ll do this over the weekend.

In the meantime, here';s some pics of the cameras. Just bought the ';Silver'; version initially (didn';t want to risk buying the ';Black'; ones just in case they turned out to be bogus! - but if the test go OK, I may invest in some Black Editions too (if I can still get them  :crossfingers:)

Offline teslahed

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 17:00:56 »
Those look very nice eyeflying. I';ve pm';d you about one :smiley:

Offline Smeagol

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 76
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 01:41:47 »
I';ll likely be interested in one of these - perhaps black edition, just because  :nananana:

Will need to know what the package contents are, any mounting or SD card etc. So I can see what else I would need to buy to actually get it installed and running

Offline teslahed

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 07:03:15 »
Silver is definitely closer to my budget, but if you can afford a black then it looks like the camera to have. I believe the silvers are being sold as camera and battery only - my plan is to use it ground side to get used to it whilst i save up for an official case. I think that if you can get them at reduced prices it';s worth shopping around for the peripherals separately.

I';ve noticed that GoPro seem to keep a very tight control over their distribution and prices. If you look around on the internet there are very few deals at less than the recommended retail price.

Offline Smeagol

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 76
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 13:23:48 »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 13:29:04 by Smeagol »

Offline micarus

• micarus
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 10:31:33 »
Any test results yet Eyeflying? What price have you settled on?

Cheers  MIKE. :beer2:
fly it like ya stole it.

Offline eyeflying

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 10:46:35 »

Offline teslahed

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 11:04:08 »
I can confirm that these GoPro Hero 3 Silvers work very well - I';ve not encountered any problems with the one I';ve bought from eyeflying for myself and the video quality has been very good;

You will need to buy accessories to go with it though - All it comes with is the camera and battery so you need pretty much everything else. GoPros aren';t the cheapest camera option available but the features are very nice (especially if you have the wireless working with a smartphone) and the ones eyeflying is selling are cheaper than anywhere else i could find.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:38:22 by teslahed »

Offline nosmo

• Liked: 4