Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by Stickman on 18 Jan 2018
  • Thanks, that's a really helpful reply!

The reason I asked was that I want to build an air-ro and I also need to replace the FC and vtx on my darkmax220 so I was looking for a 'consistent' set up on both; I was thinking Matek but I'll now have a good look at the hglrc for both.   :beer2:
  • #62 by Cheredanine on 18 Jan 2018
  • A word on matek -
    I did some testing for a supplier of the matek stack, matek are a budget brand. But not cheap and shoddy.
    They are ok but they are designed on a “just enough” basis. This means they have no margin in the specs. If it says 1 amp it will do 1 amp, but it won’t do 1.1 amps
    For components like capacitors used for smoothing the closer to the limit you get, the less effective they become.
    I have had to replace matek components in high spec quads, not because they failed, but because they were not effective.

I would extend that to the ribbon matek use between the fc and the pdb, the locking mechanism is a piece of thin plastic with even thinner locking parts. The one I had for testing failed after less than 10 connect/disconnects and I had to use CA to hold it in place.

I am not saying don’t use them, but for me, if I was looking at a reasonably priced full sized fc, I would use an airbot omnibus rather than a matek

That said, the hglrc works fine.
    I would add, all fc connect and configure the same. I have f3, f4 and F7s that have no difference in flight characteristics
  • #63 by Cheredanine on 07 Feb 2018
  • Some of you are aware (oxford fly in guys) I use these quads more than any other. By a long long way.
    Thought I would update a little.
    1.resiliance, I have flown this into quad at high speed into metal goalpost crossbars and brick walls, I have crashed on tarmac. Net damage shown below, (front of carbon top plate is chamfered now :), screw heads have damage, camera lense has damage to metal surround, I have bent and stepped props and skidding upside own on tarmac ripped the ufl connector of the vtx, but the frame holds up magnificently, damage visible below

<br /><br /><br />pix upload<br />

2.motors - got some brother 1506 4100kv arriving to try out, test bench figures these produce over 1000g of thrust on 4inch props, may need 1000mah lipo to get them there, which would put it over 250gram but hell, scream if you wanna go faster

3.cam, you may be able to see in the picture above, the arrow micro has held up superbly both the crossbar hit it and the skidding upside down bit was on it, the edge of the metal mount for the lense is scarred, but it works fine, thinking of trying predator micro and predator mini is best fpv cam I have used
  • #64 by Gavster29 on 07 Feb 2018
  • Good to hear it holding up well, especially since mine arrived today!

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

• #65 by Cheredanine on 07 Feb 2018
  • I have three of them mate:) they have been indestructible thus far
  • #66 by Cheredanine on 13 Feb 2018
  • Quick vid with BrotherHobby Avenger 1507 4100kv fitted
    Findings:

Even more thrust than the f20ii (3600kv is probably comparable)

I very much like these motors

4inch 4s is probably at the top of the envelope for the high kv variant, they come down what I would describe as noticeably warm but not hot

850mah 4s lipos don’t cut it, switched to 1000mah graphene, addds weight but handles the amp draw (this quad has the 25amp escs which have coped fine.

The extra lipo weight gives the quad more momentum, (although not as much as a 5inch)

• #67 by Lamaule on 14 Feb 2018
  • I like the look of these motors for a lightweight 5inch build.  I’m not sure they’re quite there yet, but motor tech is headed the right way with smaller, lighter motors providing decent amounts of thrust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • #68 by Cheredanine on 14 Feb 2018
  • I like the look of these motors for a lightweight 5inch build.  I’m not sure they’re quite there yet, but motor tech is headed the right way with smaller, lighter motors providing decent amounts of thrust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There are three kv, the lower (I think 2800) should cope with light 5 inch (something like dal t5040c) I would think mate (got a frame for that, see below)
    The zmx finx23 work damn well in that role too

<br /><br />
Pages:
Actions