User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

* Who's In The Chat Rooms

User in Chat:

Author Topic: Emax 300 folding frame review  (Read 2827 times)

Offline davethepitch

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 150
  • -Receive: 70
  • Liked: 426
Emax 300 folding frame review
« on: August 25, 2015, 14:25:09 »
Hello all

My new Emax 300 folding quadcopter frame arrived today from www.makeitbuildit.co.uk and i wanted to write an in-depth review of this frame and the assembly.

I was not sure what to expect from this frame after reading about other different styles of frames requiring slight alterations to complete the assembly and so with anticipation i opened the box to see what i was in for.

Well i am sorry to disappoint everyone with a very short review but all i can say is this Emax 300 folding quadcopter frame is absolutely brilliant.

I checked the quality of the carbon fibre frame, CNC machined parts, rough edges, cut outs, holes for motor fittings and finally the general overall fitment of the parts and everything was perfect.

The frame assembled with ease and everything just smoothly fitted in place from start to finish just like a hand in a glove and now i am looking forward to the next stage which is the assembly of all the electrics.

I think the pessimist in me wanted to try and find something wrong with this frame but there was absolutely nothing i could find fault with.

If you are thinking of getting another frame with plenty of room for the electrics as well as your FPV items and all in a frame that is not much larger than a 250 then i highly recommend this Emax 300 folding frame.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 14:37:22 by davethepitch »

Offline davethepitch

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
Re: Emax 300 folding frame review
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 20:04:11 »
The landing skids that come with this frame are labled Tarot and i am sure they are 450 size so any Align or Tarot skids will be a perfect replacement.  :smiley:

Dave

Offline Hands0n

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 258
  • -Receive: 609
  • Liked: 2830
  • Did the Wright brothers feel this amazing?
    • Technoratia
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 20:15:33 »
Well it appears that I've got my Mojo back ::)

My build of this frame has restarted rather well this time.   I was really unhappy with the possibilities for siting the ESCs.  A batch of DYS SN20 turned up and I eschewed the Afro 12A Small for these, and it has worked quite well so far.  The front ESC are mounted on the front arms.  The rear ESC are mounted on the underside of the top plate, just in front of the folding mechanism. Wires have been cut or extended for all of the parts to reach the CC3D PDB (which has 5v and 12v BECs) that is glued to the underside of the bottom plate with some super strength double-sided tape (from Aldi of all places!).

I have had to reverse the direction of two of the four motors, and BLHeliSuite made that completely trivial to do.

Next up is mounting the PX4 "Pixhawk" Lite and GPS/Mag puck. Also the FlySky RX that will be using S-Bus into the Pixhawk (all being well).  Then I will be ready to calibrate and start the initial tuning.  This is a camera ship so it doesn't need to be Starship Enterprise class ;)

Looking forward to your build Dave.  :popcorn:
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Offline davethepitch

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 20:44:45 »
Hey up Danny

Last night i drew a quick sketch of the wiring that was needed to go from the PDB to the other items and late this afternoon i started soldering some of the wires on the PDB but the light started to fade and my soldering started looking like Mr Magoo had done it.  :o

I have tested the PDB work i have done up to yet with a continuity tester and all is well (no shorts) and i will have another go at soldering the remaining wires tomorrow and hopefully finish it off if i can decide where to place the DYS SN20 ESC's that is.

Dave

Offline davethepitch

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 15:04:43 »
Right folks

I have just finished wiring up the PDB but for some reason i have messed up somewhere as i have one set of power wires now doing nothing which defeats the object of me having less wiring (see top picture) :angry:

After soldering the wires to the PDB i rechecked the connections for any shorts because once the ESC's are soldered on to the wiring loom i would get a reading like i had a short because of the resistance in the ESC's thus if i only did a check after i had done the soldering i would not know if i had a short or not (i think that's right)

Now comes the big problem that i never thought about and that is how do i protect the PDB being as it is mounted under the frame from impact damage (see bottom picture)

The outer frame edges are 50mm wide and there are slots running down the edges which are 40mm apart and i wondered if i could attach some sort of plastic sheet 50mm x 50mm with holes drilled at 40mm and use standoffs to secure it that this would protect the PDB or i am open to other ideas.

Tomorrow i will go to the next phase which is installing and soldering all the LED's on to the quad.

All comments, advice or ideas appreciated.

Dave

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 15:14:43 by davethepitch »

Offline DarrellW

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 251
  • -Receive: 404
  • Liked: 2341
  • Living on an island!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 15:29:15 »
If it were me Dave I would get some 1mm polycarbonate to protect it - alternatively you could 'pot' it with 5 min epoxy.
I think..........I think I am........therefore I am.............I think!

Offline davethepitch

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 15:36:08 »
I have a local company who supply plastics so I will give them a call to see what they have got on stock.

I guess this frame is for the PDB to be mounted on top of the base plate with a Naze32 or similar but I want to put my Naza there.

Offline Friskle

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 744
    • Chorley & South Ribble Model Society
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 18:46:07 »
simple, DVD case, cut a square, put a hole in each corner, job done :)
Yuneec Q500+
Yuneec Typhoon H
Nano QX2
Nano QX3D
Blade 180QX
Blade 200QX
DJI 450 frame + Naza M V2 = GPS
ZMR 250
250 Pro - Dys 2300kv motors , Naze32 Acro
300 Folding Frame sporting a Naza Lite + GPS

Offline Hands0n

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
    • Technoratia
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 22:18:25 »
Hey Dave, thats coming along nicely.  I had the same question regarding PDB with my build and have actually decided to do nothing about it seeing as the quad is on fairly tall landing skids and so the PDB itself is well out of harms way.

I may change my mind about that in time, but for now, as I am in a bit of a rush to complete, I'm leaving well alone. 

My build pics, below, are hopefully self explanatory.  I had a problem with the M8 GPS shipped by GLB, so I stole one from my spare Pixhawk and will see Phil at makeitbuildit for a replacement for that.  I am underwhelmed with the M8, my LEA-6H outperforms it in Warm starts when changing batteries.

Here you can see the funky PDB - I need to run a hotter iron over the joints as these are not up to my usual standard, the iron tip was a bit small. Although a bit fugly ::) they're not cold or dry.

--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Offline Hands0n

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
    • Technoratia
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 23:55:39 »
As an aside, if you're using or intending using the Pixhawk Lite please be aware of a gotcha in the form of reversed wires in the Hirose DF13 6pin plugs for GPS and Mag ...

See here --> http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=15439.0
--
Danny

Offline davethepitch

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 18:44:36 »
What an absolute nightmare it has been stripping down my 250 Pro and rebuilding this Emax 300 also i am amazed at how many cable ties i had used in the initial build.  :o

Offline Hands0n

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
    • Technoratia
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 19:03:50 »
Looking very nice there Dave ~~  Liking the LED bars, are they a lift from the 250 Pro?   

I know what you mean about nightmare - I literally had to put this build down for a few weeks to regain my composure. Plot lost and all that stuff ::)  Volunteering to rebuild an associate's ZMR250 sparked me off again. 

I did a naughty little garden maiden of mine today when the rain finally took a break, its now hissing down again of course.  So no chance to get out to the field. Literally grabbed about 45 minutes to tune out some high P-gains in the Pixhawk Lite.

I'm going to leave it as is now - it is fine for the holiday.  When I get back I'll get into some more fine tuning for stability and performance.

So tomorrow I add the FPV gear. W00t!
--
Danny

Offline davethepitch

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 19:23:17 »
Liking the LED bars, are they a lift from the 250 Pro?

Yes mate everything except the ESC's are from the 250 Pro and there are also matching LED's under each arm to help me see it better as I mostly fly in the dark and the LED bars were made by Rommie and they are very good.

Dave

Offline Friskle

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 744
    • Chorley & South Ribble Model Society
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 19:56:42 »
hmmm liking the look of this 300 frame, may consider sticking the Naza lite on one of these :)
Yuneec Q500+
Yuneec Typhoon H
Nano QX2
Nano QX3D
Blade 180QX
Blade 200QX
DJI 450 frame + Naza M V2 = GPS
ZMR 250
250 Pro - Dys 2300kv motors , Naze32 Acro
300 Folding Frame sporting a Naza Lite + GPS

Offline davethepitch

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 20:03:47 »
hmmm liking the look of this 300 frame, may consider sticking the Naza lite on one of these :)

I like this Emax 300 frame and when it is completed I can compare how much extra space there is compared to the 250 Pro frame.

Offline Hands0n

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
    • Technoratia
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 20:31:46 »

I expect that the Naza M Lite will work very well with this air frame.  The Naza is a bit slimmer than the Pixhawk Lite so will fit the bottom plate better.  I had a bit of a struggle with the PDB until I decided to double-sided-tape stick it to the underside, then everything else fell into place.
--
Danny

Offline Hands0n

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
    • Technoratia
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 23:42:00 »
A little update tonight ...

I have added the FPV gear - piccies below.  It is an Eachine VTX with their 700TVL camera for around £25 from banggood ... it may have been cheaper, I can't remember now.

Some weight measurements were taken tonight.

Unladen (no battery) 466gm
AUW weights:
1500mAh Lion Power = 573gm
1800mAh Zippy = 619gm
2200mAh Nano Tec = 661gm

Unless I think of anything else, she's ready to go to Corfu with me this weekend ::)

When I get back I will work on adding a recording camera. It is optimised for the Mobius but I may go for something else.  Not sure yet.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

--
Danny