User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Wyntrblue: 8 packs through the hornet today. Only my cam connection failing stopped play. Need a new cam and wiring harness. Roll on payday!
    April 21, 2018, 20:48:20
  • Bad Raven: and proud of it.......  :evil
    April 21, 2018, 20:24:09
  • hoverfly: Squirrelist  :nananana:
    April 21, 2018, 18:55:58
  • Bad Raven: Hyperdog catapult, very good for squirrels (greys of course)
    April 21, 2018, 15:09:33
  • hoverfly: Well summer was nice while it lasted.... clouded over and the evil darkness has returned.  feels like a thunder storm is pending.... :shrug:
    April 21, 2018, 15:07:32
  • hoverfly: Superb bit of kit,that will keep the cats off my veg patch.  ~~
    April 21, 2018, 08:34:52
  • Bad Raven: [link]
    April 21, 2018, 05:54:26
  • Bad Raven: For recovery, I keep tucked away in the car a pair of overalls, a tennis ball with long string, and a dog ball catapult (from hyperdog)
    April 21, 2018, 05:52:53
  • Andy7: Hmph.... didnt have enough points to qualify. Thunderstorms tomorrow too.
    April 20, 2018, 22:29:44
  • ched999uk: Now all you have to do Andy7 is lay the slabs for even more brownie points.
    April 20, 2018, 21:03:53
  • hoverfly: Well O.T.T . .. Andy  you should have made her make do with a bag of chips. ::)
    April 20, 2018, 17:08:39
  • Andy7: Earned an early evening fly - points gained by collecting two carfuls of paving slabs for the Missus ;)
    April 20, 2018, 16:56:28
  • LuMan: <ouch> I feel your pain HF. I retrieved a quad last Summer from a blackberry bush. Only noticed how damaged I was when I got in the bath that night. Never realised that blackberry thorns could get 'THERE'.. :O
    April 20, 2018, 16:17:31
  • hoverfly: Just found out you can walk through knee high nettles in shorts  to retrieve a treed quad , the pain only developes when you sit down to inspect the damage... :cry :cry
    April 20, 2018, 16:04:03
  • mo_miah: i need to change jobs and work nights, missing out on all this lovely weather stuck at work playing freerider on my phone
    April 20, 2018, 14:41:41
  • ched999uk: Cheers Hoverfly $2.99 sounds good. Mind you tried my first los acro flight today and boy am I bad even with hrs and hrs of FPVFreerider!!!!
    April 19, 2018, 20:16:54
  • hoverfly: 27 degrees  in the shade in the garden.. if it's as hot tomorrow  i'm taking the wooly vest off.. :o
    April 19, 2018, 17:16:28
  • hoverfly: custom pack link... ::)...[link]
    April 19, 2018, 17:13:23
  • ched999uk: Bad Raven, is there a link to the custom pack?
    April 19, 2018, 17:06:59
  • Andy7: @Mo... sounds promising then! :)
    April 19, 2018, 15:26:06

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 92
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: TX bound to RX  (Read 730 times)

Offline Icefever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 51
TX bound to RX
« on: December 10, 2017, 10:24:31 »

I've read the above sticky's, I've spent hours yesterday on youtube trying to find out why I can't get anything from my Taranis plus??  I started off yesterday making a smoke stopper just to be safe.  I plugged it in line and connected the battery, no light so I was chuffed.... :sweating:

Next, I bound the T plus to a FrSky X4R SB....got a green light first time so I was double chuffed.....and that's as far as I got the rest of yesterday and so far 5 hours this morning all I've done is more vids and still nothing... :banghead:

I watched a guy on the Tube who did a Betaflight for dummies,  I connected the quad via the usb right from the start and I did think I was getting somewhere, but alas it was not to be...I can run the motors, one at a time or all at the same time no problemo.  Yet when I move the throttle Gimbel nothing happens on either the quad or shows any movement on the slides on Beta.

Help.. :shrug:

I'm missing something on the setup, but I'm jiggered what it is?? more than likely just a tick in a box somewhere or I've not selected the correct boxes in the config in Beta.
With all the beautiful things in the world,  only man could invent boredom.

Offline Two-Six

• Liked: 322
  • Have I had my biscuites yet?
Re: TX bound to RX
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 13:30:45 »
The binding bit is easy enough.  At this stage all you will see is a solid green light on the receiver. 

What flight controller are you using and how are you connecting that to the receiver?  Are you using SBUS?  If so then perhaps you might need an inverter.  A simple bit of kit, pretty cheap and easy to use. 

I think most of the new flight controllers can use the inverted signal from the X4RSB but you never know.  You might need to tell them to invert the signal in betaflight.

Also unless you start to program your Taranis to define the inputs and outputs you probably won't see much in betaflight until you have some programming in place. Maybe the wizard will have set up basic I/O programming on the the right channels.  I can't remember how it worked on mine exactly, its been a while since I setup a new model.

So have you updated your Taranis firmware to the new Open TX and updated your transmitter module and receiver firmware to the newest version?

Got the Amber voice pack working?

Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

Offline Icefever

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 15:09:49 »
Hi Two Six.

The easy bit is yes to your last part... ::)

I think what you 've said about the inversion maybe my problem??? I have the YDS f4 fc along with the YDS 4 in 1. At the moment I have no bond between the FC and the TX...the only way I can connect the FC is via the usb cable to Beta.

The firmware is ok as far as I can tell...like I said the TX bound with the RX without any problems

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 16:48:49 »
OK, it looks like you do have hardware inversion on the UART 1 receive pin.  So that should be OK.  Make sure the signal wire from the XR4SB goes onto the pin shown in this video:

Have you tried hooking the Taranis up to your PC and using Companion?  http://downloads-21.open-tx.org/companion/companion-windows-2.1.9.exe

The Taranis by default uses a fairly old version of OpenTX so its worth upgrading.  Companion will do this for you.

Companion will also let you program the Taranis via your computer.  I don't use it as I do my programming directly into the TX but it might be a real help getting you started.

The good thing is you can see what your programming does in the software and you can tinker about with it separately from anything that is programmed into your TX for real.

Perhaps I could send you my quad's set-up for my Taranis.  It should work on yours with a little adjustment.  I haven't upgraded my OpenTX for a long time so its worth having a look at it again.  I might have a go later on at plugging it into my PC and see what happens.  I have sort of forgotten how it all works right now  :hmm:

You could try getting one or two channels working on the Taranis so they move something in betaflight to give yourself something to go on so you can start to see how it works.  Look at what the wizzard will produce as code as it sets up a new model for you either in the TX or in Companion to give yourself an idea on how to proceed.

Another thing, you have 16 channels you can use with SBUS!  In your model set up (page two on the Taranis menu) your internal RF mode should be set to D16.

The Amber voice pack is quite good too.  Its just a library of sounds that you can use and it also replaces the default sounds of the Taranis.  Not essential but worth having.  There might be a newer version of that out now too.  I will have a look into that.

I think this is the more up-to-date one: http://open-txu.org/dl/OpenTX%202.1%20Amber%20Sounds.zip

Finally Don't panic!  All this might sound complicated but it's not that difficult.....one step at a time...

Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 17:45:59 »
This might help, I am not 100% sure what I am sending here, it's either the model file for my Quad or my whole radio firmware backup.  Perhaps if you put it into your models folder in your SD card in the Taranis you can open it in the Taranis.  You will need OpenTX version 2.1.7 at least probably.

Rename the file extension from .zip to .bin

I had to change it cos I can't send a .bin file.

Offline Icefever

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 18:57:38 »
Cheers mate,  will have a good look at what you've sent tomorrow,  I'm off to bed soon got to be at work for 0400.  :angry:

One thing that has come to mind and this may sound daft...what's the colour of the signal wire on a X4R sb??? I've used a green one,  but there's a white that's not used,  now I'm wondering if I may have used the wrong one???? I have done a search on Google but had no luck they seem to put any colour they want other than the + & -.

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 23:57:49 »
A green wire??  Hummm :hmm:
Sound a bit like you are trying to use the smart port connector and the little wiring loom you get with the receiver..Its not that one...That's for your telemetry sensors if you have any.

Have a look at this:

The X4RSB can give standard PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) outputs on its four channels on channel 1-3. Channel four can also do SBUS and PWM.

The power wire and the ground can come from your PDB 5 volt feed and the ground goes to the ground on the PDB (or any other ground) to power the receiver.

On all servo connections Futaba or Hi-Tec the center pin is always the power wire, the signal wire is usually orange or yellow or white and ground is black.   

Here is a link to the XRBSB manual download: https://www.frsky-rc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Manual/X4R%20X4RSB%20CPPM.pdf

Hope that helps  ~~

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 00:11:13 by Two-Six »

Offline Icefever

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 03:51:31 »

Had a few mins this morning so took a  pic....and I must have been getting a little tired or pi**ed with it all yesterday, it's not a green wire it's yellow... :banghead:

The FC is upside down it's a better image of the pins....I'm going to redo the black and move it to match the others. I'll reread all the info again when I get back home and try again. ~~

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 10:18:17 »
Is that your actual receiver?  It doesn't looks like an X4RSB unless its a special naked one with no pins or clothes on.   Anyway that connector is connected to the smartport.  It won't work like that.

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 11:23:47 »
Right I see.  Its a naked board.  So the way you have your FC wired up is OK.  Thankfully you haven't done anything "bad" with the power wires. Leave them as they are on the FC.  At the receiver end, ditch the plastic connector. 

That IS for your smart port for connecting telemetry devices onto.  It does not carry SBUS data.

Pull it out and cut the it off (leaving a small length of wires available so you could use it another time).  You get this harness every time you buy an FRSKY RX or telemetry sensor anyway, so no biggie if you chop it up.

You will need to solder your wires RED BLACK AND YELLOW from the FC, to the solder holes/connectors ON THE OUTSIDE of the RX board starting from the hole nearest the S-PORT connector in this order Yellow (SBUS SIGNAL) RED (+5V) and then Black (ground).

I have done an updated diagram which should help make it clear.

That should get it sorted out.  :popcorn:

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 11:36:25 »
Have a look at this:

and this:

I like the way he put heat-shrink over the RX after he has done the soldering.  I might be tempted to put hot glue into the ends of the heat-shrink tube too to make it waterproof....

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:42:50 by Two-Six »

Offline Icefever

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 15:10:00 »

You've worked it out it came pin-less, and  I have the cardboard cover for her

See I said it would be something I'd missed or smegged up... :laugh:  you are a life saver dude.... ~~ I've just got home from work so I'm going to get my soldering iron out and sort it out, many thanks for the new drawing it makes it a whole lot clearer.

This is the problem when you're  a newbie like me... :whistling:  I see the plug and took it for granted that it fitted in that socket... :banghead:   

I owe you a pint or two matey....maybe in the new year.  :beer2:

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 15:14:55 »
No worries, I quite enjoyed the project.

Merry Xmass! :beer2:

Offline Icefever

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 17:56:28 »

Ok I've changed the wires over but still no go... :shrug: I think it's got to be the TX setup on Beta...not finding the correct port or something.  I tried to open that file, changed the file to .bin but tried 2/3 software programs and Open Com but no go.

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 19:51:51 »
That file is probably a saved model for my quad on my Taranis.  It should go into your model folder on your SD card in the Taranis.   

Have you tried plugging your Taranis into your PC yet?  Plug in the USB lead then you hold in both lower trim switches inwards before you turn it on.  It will then go into "bootloader" mode and the SD card will show up as a windows drive.  If not you will need to muck about with the drivers using ZADIG

...We can sort that out later if it doesn't work. 

If it does work, before you do anything else, copy all the folders on your SD card to your PC to back them up.

Now download and install Companion from the link I provided, then try to open up that .bin file directly with Companion and also copy it into the models folder on your SD card.

Hopefully you will see it as a model you can choose.  You might also get all my other models to choose from too.

Then hopefully you can see how I wrote my code to give you an idea.  However I might not have sent you the right thing.  I am not too sure how to save a specific model.  What I might have done is back up all my Taranis settings in that file....

I would also try to upgrade your Taranis firmware to the newest version of OpenTX using Companion before you get serious with the programming as some things might not work with the newer firmware when you upgrade.

Irrespective of Companion and new firmware and stuff have you tried using the Taranis wizzard to make a new model in it?  If you get the radio mode right it should start moving the sliders in betaflight.

A Taranis will not do anything unless you have a model set up to provide some programming, or some programming.

You will probably need to go into betaflight and make sure UART 1 is the one selected for your input and that you have SBUS selected somewhere...

Offline Icefever

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 03:54:05 »
Will set UART 1 and give that a go later, this is my problem at the moment, not sure which port is which being new to it all but I'll learn.  I'll have to take a class on it all  :laugh:  maybe find a vid on the tube.

I have had the Tran connected to the pc to check firmware,  and I'm sure it's got the latest one, but I'll double check on that also.  Will upload your file as that may give me more insight into a setup.... :shrug:

Thanks for your patience with it all.  ~~

Offline Icefever

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 08:43:36 »
Ok I left this problem alone yesterday, bad day at work...now today I'm off until Tue as it's my birthday... :beer2:

I have a good idea it's me that is not setting the TX up correctly,  so I thought if I take a screenshot of the main stuff on Beta you guys may see the problem waving a flag  ~~ so here goes.........

Page1

Page2 & 3...

Page 4

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 12:20:28 »
Happy Birthday! :beer2:
Looking at picture one I think UART1 should be switched to serial RX.

Hopefully if you switch to serial RX then in page 4 you might see those bars moving when you wiggle the sticks.  You will only see this if your Taranis is programmed to do something.

I need to go out in a bit but perhaps I could give you a hand later on, between 3 and 5 ish.  Want to PM me your phone numbers?

In the mean time perhaps try to download and install teamviewer on your PC so I can remotely connect to it and have a look at what's going on.

https://download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewer_Setup.exe

Also perhaps download TeamSpeak
https://www.teamspeak.com/en/downloads

Perhaps we could use that to talk, you will need a mic and headphones for that.

Offline Icefever

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 14:16:55 »

Yipee........ :notworthy:  things are starting to work....so far I have the first 4 channels  T.A.E.R...also an Arm switch and flight mode.  When connected to Beta the TX now works the motors plus the arm switch works.....so I'm getting there thanks to your help, that's the first step.

Now I can move on to other bits, got to fix the VTX and sort out the correct wires this time.. :rofl:

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 975
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 17:22:28 »
Glad you got it working,  get Andy to sort you a nice soft cow pat for maiden flight. ::)
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 18:31:43 »
Yay! :band:
Glad  you got it working. 
Did you manage to install my quad programming into your Taranis?  If so did that .bin file have all my other models in it too?

If you are running my Nighthawk programming, it does use the amber voice pack so you might not get any sounds without it installed.

Offline Icefever

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 19:22:42 »

I copied the bin file over to the T9 into the model folder but when I tried to unzip it, it asked for a disc??? :shrug:.   I then tried to unzip before the move to the model folder but still no go.

I have done the Amber pack, that was one of the easy things to practice on before I got into the harder stuff. :laugh: :laugh:

Glad you got it working,  get Andy to sort you a nice soft cow pat for maiden flight. ::)

Pat as in singular Hover??? I think I'll need a baker's dozen as in plural mate.... :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 19:44:08 »
That .zip isn't a zip file.  Its just a .bin file renamed to .zip.  Make sure you can see file extensions on your computer and just rename it back to .bin

Don't worry about it too much it might not be that useful anyway as I am not sure what I sent you.

Perhaps somebody else could download it and try to use it then we will will know what the heck I sent to you!!

Offline Icefever

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 19:56:52 »
That .zip isn't a zip file.  Its just a .bin file renamed to .zip.  Make sure you can see file extensions on your computer and just rename it back to .bin

ok, will give it a go tomorrow just for the hell of it...you never know what I may gain from it.. ~~

Offline Two-Six

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 20:20:16 »
try opening it with Companion first.

Offline Icefever

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 21:18:31 »

10-Rog....will give it a go.