User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • shawdreamer: so another foreign power stuffs the uk suipply lines by blocking antwerp harbour..... 70yrs and we still havnt learnt <sigh>
    August 16, 2017, 08:49:53
  • DarrellW: Oh ow....... HK deliveries stuffed for a while........
    August 15, 2017, 21:40:05
  • hoverfly: Rhubarb superb stuff, always gives you a good run for your money.... ::)
    August 15, 2017, 21:21:47
  • Bajadre: mmm  rhubarb cider :)
    August 15, 2017, 21:15:29
  • DarrellW: Old Rosie is THE stuff, definitely floats my boat ::)
    August 15, 2017, 19:01:06
  • ched999uk: No breaks allowed  ::)
    August 15, 2017, 18:48:45
  • atomiclama: time for a break.
    August 15, 2017, 18:00:22
  • atomiclama: Yeay my post count matches the year.
    August 15, 2017, 18:00:06
  • Bad Raven: Talisker, on prescription??   ::)   ::)
    August 15, 2017, 17:04:34
  • Bajadre: lol atomiclama
    August 15, 2017, 13:21:52
  • atomiclama: I find Talisker does the job quite well ;;)
    August 15, 2017, 08:46:54
  • Bajadre: THC always gets me to sleep lol
    August 14, 2017, 12:59:20
  • hoverfly: C17H27NO2 .. :o
    August 14, 2017, 09:24:57
  • DarrellW: @BR Venlafaxine now :-/
    August 14, 2017, 08:26:46
  • atomiclama: Flying in the rain, it's gota be done ::)
    August 14, 2017, 08:16:28
  • Bad Raven: Amitriptyline? Prescription, non-addictive.
    August 14, 2017, 05:49:56
  • DarrellW: Can'tsleep.com  :-/
    August 14, 2017, 01:05:26
  • Bajadre: Ohh nice mate
    August 13, 2017, 20:59:14
  • DarrellW: Trusty old dx7 has gone phut........ Just won a Futaba T8J though!!!
    August 13, 2017, 20:34:49
  • atomiclama: Dynamic filters, mmmMMMm  me likey likey  ::)
    August 13, 2017, 20:32:43

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 1st build Armatton Chameleon question  (Read 267 times)

Offline greggmaN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • Liked: 23
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
    • View Profile
1st build Armatton Chameleon question
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:46:28 »
Hello

Im new to this sport been doing it for 3 months and bought a 2nd hand zmr250 and have been repairing it alot, so i know a little bit more about it and when i need help i come to you lot and you get me through it!

Im looking to do my 1st build and wanting something that i can fetch some of my old parts off my zmr250 over such as the rx, tornado t2 motors, my spro f3 clone board and my vtx....im bringing my fc over because i know how it works and very familiar with it, if i want to update it down the line i can...I was looking at the Armatton Chameleon frame with the pdb that comes with it...so heres my list of what i need for it

*Seriously Pro Racing F3 Flight Controller
*FT48X 5.8G 48CH 25/200/600mW Adjustable Video Transmitter
*runcam swift 2 or hs1177????
*FrSky XSR
*EMAX BULLET 30A D-SHOT BLHELI_S ESC
*Tornado t2 2300
*(chameleons own pdb v3)

and this cheap and chearful
*FOXEER Legend 1 HD Action Camera

right, i know how the esc work and how to solder them to motors etc, my problem is...on my old zmr250 i just wired the camara and the vtx together to the video out on my big pdb that the zmr had...but on this pdb there is now video out for the camara or vtx :/ can someone shed some light on this where i would be putting my video cables on this chameleon

thanks
chris

Offline Dougal1957

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 41
  • Liked: 143
    • View Profile
Re: 1st build Armatton Chameleon question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 11:13:26 »
Forget the Armattan PDB and get a Matek one instead not that there is anything wrong with the Armattan one but the Matek has both 12V and 5V regs on it.

Would also suggest the Spedix ESC's over the EMAX ones.

The Chameleon is actually a very tight build but also very nice.

but if you go with the MAtek then do get some of the Armattan rubber XT60 mounts

Offline greggmaN

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:49:06 »
even with the matek pdb...theres a 12v power pad for the camara vtx...(red and black) but what about the video out where does that solder to?

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 302
  • Liked: 766
  • Everything you have been told is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 11:58:17 »
Hi mate,
So..
First, Armattan pdb is fine, it has 12v and 5v linear regs, I would tend to prefer it to a matek (matek have always been an economy brand, a good one, but still cheap stuff, I have occasionally had to switch matek stuff out on high power systems, you shouldn't have that problem with Armattan)

Escs, assume you are avoiding spending money, there is little difference between all the blheli_s escs, Dougal is right the spedix are technically slightly better  and very cheaply priced, but there is no performance difference you would notice between them and your emax.

Cam - I would take the swift 2 over the hs1177, it will give you battery voltage on the fpv feed.

I really would switch out that fc for something better, you can get f4 for 30 quid now and you will find they all work the same way

Dougal has a very good point on soft mounting the flight controller but also how tight the cammy can be as it is a low rider, see pic below on how close the front standoff are to the cam cage, I had to use the rubber standoffs upside down to even get that clearance

even with the matek pdb...theres a 12v power pad for the camara vtx...(red and black) but what about the video out where does that solder to?
The signal wire goes straight from the cam to the vtx, you just splice and solder the wires, this is far better than running the video signal close to, or through something carrying high power and fluctuating current such as a pdb

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:05:36 »
Ps cammy is a nice looking frame and flies well, and has the warranty
But it isn't the latest frame, and is a short x and has a slight weakness around the front arms,
You may want to consider something like an scx200 if you haven't already ordered

Offline greggmaN

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 12:17:05 »
yes i havent ordered it yet...i just want something decent enough with some space inside so it isnt to crammed...for my 1st build...something like a 220...will a 200 be alot smaller inside?

also, so...the signal wire from the camara doesnt need to be soldered to anything...just soldered to the vtx signal wire?

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 14:37:38 »
yes i havent ordered it yet...i just want something decent enough with some space inside so it isnt to crammed...for my 1st build...something like a 220...will a 200 be alot smaller inside?

also, so...the signal wire from the camara doesnt need to be soldered to anything...just soldered to the vtx signal wire?
That is the distance between opposite motors, not the space.in the body.

Having seen how you fly I would suggest tsx200 or scx200, the scx is probably a bit sturdier, (well mine is, it has taken an unbelievable ammount of hits) both have much more vertical room in the stack than the chameleon

Offline greggmaN

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 22:09:41 »
That's another questions...I thought it was the fc that makes it fell different in flight from other fc board....but does the frame also make it different....so having my spro f3 in my zmr250 and same in the scx200 will it still fly differently?

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 22:36:48 »
Frames cam make quite a difference to all sorts of stuff.
Quite aside from the fact the carbon and cut will be stronger in an scx than something like a Chinese zmx.

Firstly the wheelbase, a 200/210 for my money gives the best balance between speed and power for changes in aspect (it's all about moments of force, leavers, fulcrums and centre of mass/centre of rotation)
Now that depends on the quad being a true-x, a lot of plaza is going on about stretch-x to make sure you get clean air into the back motors but given the angle most modern racers fly, that is just hype, although the chameleon is a short x actually

Next the weight, because we are running like 10:1 power to weight ratios on these things, if the frames weighs 10 grams lighter, that is like using motors with 100g more thrust, a light frame like an scx will increase your power to weight ratio noticeably

You will notice two things, firstly a higher top end
Secondly the quad becomes more agile, it will be able to change aspect quicker, which you feel, but will also make it a better tune

So all in all it will be faster, more agile and tune better would be what you notice in flight.

The scx in particular is a well thought out frame, it has parts to stop the vtx antenna rotating into props, you can get a replacement back plate with integrated, programable LEDs, it is he origional for the camera mount on the chameleon. The latest pdb has 12 and 5v regs built in

A lighter frame will also carry less mass/momentum into a crash at a given speed, although to be fair you will probably balance that off by going faster.

Lots of stuff effect how it flies though, you would be surprised what difference props make :)