User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

* Who's In The Chat Rooms

User in Chat:

Author Topic: Greetings to you all....oh, and HEEEEELLLPPPPPP!  (Read 150 times)

Offline Napalmtheelf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
    • View Profile
Greetings to you all....oh, and HEEEEELLLPPPPPP!
« on: May 19, 2017, 03:52:08 »
Hi guys.
A quick question to get the ball rolling so to speak.
I'm new to drone flying and yes, already addicted. Midlife crisis or hobby I should have taken up years ago, who knows.
At the moment I am learning with a now battered and bruised Holy Stone quad, but have a Floureon 250 racer winging its way to me from somewhere in China.
But my question is this......can anyone suggest a compatible 3S battery for the Floureon?
The 8-10 minute flight time (plus the 20 minute walk to my nearest available space to fly) on my Holy Stone is depressing, so want to stock up on batteries to get the most time out of the racer.
Suggestions pls.
Oh, if there's a UK retailer even better!
cheers
Saul

Offline Bad Raven

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 29
  • Liked: 221
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings to you all....oh, and HEEEEELLLPPPPPP!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 06:15:29 »
OK, so the answers you get "might" be biased to this week's new thing.   My comments here are based not just on Quads but on using RC gear several times every week for several hours a time.

I do not normally now charge batteries at the field, but if I do I have a recycled ex battery shop pile lead acid with a decent handle got for free, likely came from a Micra so easily carried, and a charger of course, but that relies on getting not too far away with car for carrying distance, not your situation!  Using LiPo in quantity and most sizes several times a week for lots of hours and for over ten years has given me a fair background in what works reliably.  I have currently near 200 LiPo of most sizes and around 20 1500mAh 3S and the same 4S.

The Floureon list specs the pack as "3S 11.1V 30C 1500mAh".

So, here's some UK supply of 1500 - 1700mAh you should be able to get quickly that have worked for me long term.

Nano-Tech from Hobbyking

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1500mah-3s-35-70c-lipo-pack.html

Turnigy from Hobbyking

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-1600mah-3s-30c-lipo-pack.html

Drone Lab from RadioC (has to be said I have had a love/hate relationship with the company but the packs are very good and if you check they are fully awake when ordering so you actually get what you ask for you should be OK!)

https://www.radioc.co.uk/DroneLabs-1500mah-3s-60c-Lipo-Battery-p/6501.htm

Overlander

https://www.overlander.co.uk/batteries/lipo-batteries/power-packs/lipo-batteries-1600mah-3s-11-1v-35c-supersportpro.html

Changing the subject completely if you hang a HD camera on the resilient mounted plate make sure you have decent cable ties through the mounts as restraints so when (not if) they separate your camera plate and camera does not depart the frame never to be seen again.

Good Luck.

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 242
  • Liked: 591
  • Everything you have been told is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:03:39 »
 :welcome:
As per raven, the hobbyking may be available from their uk warehouse, otherwise example of uk stockists:
http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/hobbyrc-race-spec-1400mah-3s-45-90c-lipo-battery

Offline Two-Six

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 30
  • Liked: 203
  • Have I had my biscuites yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:45:49 »
I can see that the battery connector on the Floureon 250 is an XT60 if you didn't know and also as the battery is supposed to fit INTO the frame the size of it pretty crucial.  Batteries vary in size and shape A LOT so perhaps wait until you get it and then have a good measure so you know which battery to get.  Apart from that you want to look for batteries with at least a 30 C rating.  70C is often quoted in high end batteries.  Weather they can do 70C very well is debatable.

About charging at the field.  A small lead/Acid battery is handy or even better a very large capacity 12 Volt (3Cell) LiPo or even a 24 Volt 6 Cell as some chargers are happy to be connected to 24 Volts.  The big Lipo will be much lighter to carry about.

Somebody on here does this with the large Lipo for field charging, I can't remember who it is but I thought it was a really good idea.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:10:48 by Two-Six »
Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

Offline nate80

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 173
  • Fly like you stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 13:18:12 »
I third Hobbyking for competitively priced LiPo batteries.  Just make sure to select from battery packs available from their UK warehouse.  If you're an Amazon Prime member they can sometimes sell fairly priced batteries too.  Failing that there are a good number of multicopter hobby stockists in and around ol' Blighty.  Here's just a few well known retailers:

unmannedtechshop.co.uk
buzzflyer.co.uk
marionvillemodels.com
wirelessmadness.co.uk
rcgeeks.co.uk
wheelspinmodels.co.uk
flyingtech.co.uk
buildyourowndrone.co.uk

Def agree with Two-Six, find out the actual battery compartment size of your new quad before ordering new batteries.  If the Floureon come with a 3S (3 cell) 11.1V 30C 1500mAh battery you may be able to find cheap additional packs that hold more juice but still fit.  Generally speaking the greater the mAh rating, the larger the battery pack will be.  But there are compact, nano and graphite batteries available that can help shave a little size and weight off.  The higher the C rating the battery provides, the more power the quad can access instantly.  But regularly accessing more of the batteries power obviously means shorter flight times, so there's a balance to be found that is unique to every setup and owner requirement.  Batteries also often display two 'C' ratings: a standard rate and a maximum rate.  The Floureon comes with a 30C rated battery, so you're probably best off looking at other batteries rated at 30C or 35C with a maximum discharge of 45C or 50C.  That should provide plenty of power and, hopefully, sensible length flight times.

Unless you plan to drive to flight sites I personally wouldn't worry about portable/at-field charging solutions.  Just buy 3 or 4 extra batteries and take them to the field with you.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Saul.   :smiley:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 13:21:17 by nate80 »

Offline Cynabal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 27
  • ESC Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 13:26:20 »
Don't waste your money on 3s go straight for 4s I bought a bunch of 3s when I first started now I never use them.

Offline Bad Raven

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 29
  • Liked: 221
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 13:50:58 »
Don't waste your money on 3s go straight for 4s I bought a bunch of 3s when I first started now I never use them.

The quad is designed for 3S with the battery fitting from the rear inside the top and bottom framing. Clearances look small.

Do you know a 4S would fit?

Offline nate80

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 173
  • Fly like you stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 15:23:50 »
Doubt a 4S will slip inside the canopy, but as long as you're happy to alter the balance and centre of gravity you can place a 4S battery on top.  The Floureon is designed to accept 4S straight out the box, apparently.

Check this out for a little info you might find useful:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udq1NzRt7l4

Offline Cynabal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 27
  • ESC Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 20:36:54 »
Doubt a 4S will slip inside the canopy, but as long as you're happy to alter the balance and centre of gravity you can place a 4S battery on top.  The Floureon is designed to accept 4S straight out the box, apparently.

Check this out for a little info you might find useful:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udq1NzRt7l4

Perfect example of what I was getting at, great video, Get a bunch of 3 blade props, slap on a 4s pack and Don't look back.