User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

* Who's In The Chat Rooms

User in Chat:

Author Topic: Telemetry and GPS modules for cc3d Revolution mini?  (Read 97 times)

Offline Mi96ke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
    • View Profile
Telemetry and GPS modules for cc3d Revolution mini?
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:22:00 »
I'm doing my first build and am doing a lot of research into everything to make sure I get exactly what I want.
It's a racing drone but I want the option of adding telemetry and GPS.
What are the best modules that work well (and good range) with the Openpilot CC3D Revolution mini?
Are the ones that come with the package any good? I've heard the GPS with that kit is very basic
Thanks for any info/opinions

Offline Ern Stock

• Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Receive: 7
  • Liked: 38
  • s devon
    • View Profile
Re: Telemetry and GPS modules for cc3d Revolution mini?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 21:35:54 »
Hi
Lots of research is good.
Won't be long before you see lots of advice recommending a first build is kept simple , which is good advice.
So good I'm going to repeat it : keep it simple !
And I would say that a racing drone is no place for gps - style control. But that's just me

I guess the oplink is telemetry , have just set up a revo with the ones from bangood.  Though only used the ground side as am using full size revo board that has the air side built in.
Have added ublox gps with external mag. Super lazy of me but bought the "ready for revo" version off of unmanned tech. Bit dear , but plug n play
Works fine ( on larger 550 craft )
Telemetry might also mean on fpv screen
/goggles display - I have only ever had volts for that and that's now available built in to fpv cams.
Possible to have all sorts on your on screen display though if you want .

Offline Mi96ke

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 21:54:23 »
Thanks, I'm putting GPS on it mainly to help with leaning to fly, so I can find it with I loose it (I got a bit ahead of myself and lost my first rtf drone 😂😂) I won't be keeping GPS on it but it'll help me learn more is the oplink good or is it fairly plain/ simple?

Offline Ern Stock

• Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Receive: 7
  • Liked: 38
  • s devon
    • View Profile
Telemetry and GPS modules for cc3d Revolution mini?
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 21:10:51 »
Be good to get some other opinions but I really don't think GPS will help you learn to fly.
May well get you operating a gps craft quicker but that's not learning to fly.
Aaaah - that reads brutal , but am trying to help - honest.
A bloody great buzzer (£3) and a loc8tor light (£65) poss better options to find lost craft. ( just had my loc8tor in use this eve in very long grass)
Also not flying too far away ! ( or in my case this eve , behind my body , a large holly and a shrubby oak and two hedge banks !)
With revo mini you may start running short of ports with gps and external mag and oplink.
Oplink with revo is good imo but check it out ;
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=5669018#content/view/5669018
If that link no good it's all on librepilot wiki .
Oplink (for me ) is a rc link that replaces the USB cable.
Makes set up easier , and gives all the GCS data on laptop whilst flying - ideal for air cow camera ship , less so for racer.

( most of above presumes using librepilot on the revo )

Offline ThomRC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
  • Liked: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 21:36:18 »
I don't think in this context the GPS will do what you're expecting. It'll tell the quad where it is, but it can't really do anything with that information unless you give it some kind of autopilot which is a whole other system. If you want to use it to find your quad, it'll need some kind of transmission system to relay the info back to you. A loc8tor would work but imo it's overkill.

A buzzer will cost a few pence and can be activated via a switch on your transmitter, plus it'll have the added advantage that it'll let you know when your battery is low, which would be a bigger concern for me than losing the quad.