User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • atomiclama: all of it  ::) Clear blue skies little wind, but it's changing now  :(
    Today at 14:59:30
  • Bad Raven: You could prune the tree tops from the ground round here........
    Today at 12:34:04
  • Bad Raven: Which bit of 30mph plus don't you have then??
    Today at 12:33:13
  • atomiclama: Arrrrgggh beautiful weather out there and so close to getting my rig ready for it's FPV maiden, bet the weather changes by the weekend.
    Today at 09:40:20
  • shawdreamer: that'll just create a whole new type of crime.....drive-by acetone squirting with Nerf Super soakers
    November 22, 2017, 20:35:03
  • Bad Raven: 3D Print, anyone?  [link]
    November 22, 2017, 20:30:33
  • Bad Raven: or even bodge.....  ::)
    November 22, 2017, 14:57:33
  • Bad Raven: luckily my bidge to the old one is still working......  :crossfingers:
    November 22, 2017, 14:57:06
  • Bad Raven: They photographed it and the guy sent pics to his 3rd party firm, they took it away with them and had passed info to supplier so that by the time I got to their CS they knew and were prepping refund or replace, so another one is coming for Friday.
    November 22, 2017, 14:55:47
  • Wyntrblue: dont sign for it raven, send it back as broken!
    November 22, 2017, 14:08:25
  • Bad Raven: So, the new freezer arrives, the guy takes it out of the packing, and the door has been hit sideways and the hinges and top smashed.
    November 22, 2017, 13:48:19
  • DarkButterfly: They don't make them like they used to
    November 21, 2017, 11:13:03
  • Bad Raven: It's bodged up and running flat out, new one delivered tomorrow........... yes, expensive!!
    November 21, 2017, 09:49:25
  • hoverfly: That sounds expensive, on the up side you have to eat all the grub as it defrosts... :eating:
    November 21, 2017, 09:19:40
  • Bad Raven: Ruddy power surge has trashed the Freezer.................
    November 20, 2017, 22:31:36
  • Bad Raven: Nost of the fish went, "what was that?" followed by "who are you?"  :azn
    November 20, 2017, 20:38:57
  • Bad Raven: One of the shrimps is shell shocked, it's still hurtling around the tanke even now and its little heart is racing..........
    November 20, 2017, 20:37:37
  • Gav: oh was it a good excuse for fish n chips for tea?
    November 20, 2017, 19:55:33
  • Gav: did the fish survive?
    November 20, 2017, 19:39:29
  • Bad Raven: We just had the mother of all supply glitches, one of my fish tank lights sounded like it was arc welding itself, all the lights flickered, internet bombed for over five mins!
    November 20, 2017, 18:08:02

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Atomic's long range mountain cruiser.  (Read 316 times)

Offline atomiclama

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Liked: 652
  • Uhh! What's that then, Oh! new project.
Atomic's long range mountain cruiser.
« on: November 10, 2017, 10:17:50 »
I'm slowly building up to the longer range stuff. Was going to use a QAV450 frame but it was a bit on the heavy side but then I found this frame in my box of odds and sods. Got it off HobbyKing sale some time ago and never done anything with it.

The design is not that good but it will do, the arms fold in which will make transportation easier.

Current spec: -
Suunysky 2212 1400Kv motors
APC 8045 and HQ 8045 props
Graphene 1300mAh 5S battery.
RTF weight about 800g
Peak thrust @8Kg

P1060999.JPGAtomic's long range mountain cruiser.

Now I could buy a TBS crossfire for the long range TX or I could build my own, Guess what I'm going to use.
http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=22196.0

For the FPV camera OSD and recording I'm going to use the Raspberry Pi that I have been working on and off for some time.

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=20957.0

Will keep this thread updated as the project progresses, might have a holiday around lake Garda next year so need to be up in those mountains by then.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 21:41:00 by atomiclama »
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline Lamaule

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 109
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
Re: Atomic's long range moutain cruiser.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 20:40:00 »
Looking forward to seeing the results atomic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Icefever

• Liked: 32
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 02:19:02 »
Looking forward to any updates,  we've just arrived in Portugal for 2 weeks,  wish I had finished my 1st build...would loved to have had it here for some piccies...never mind.  :-/

I've done the same as you, only last week I bought a 500 frame 
in the HK sale...that's my next project, so I'll be watching what bits of kit you'll be using.  ~~
With all the beautiful things in the world,  only man could invent boredom.

Offline apollo7

• Liked: 562
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 07:57:49 »
Looks an interesting build, but are you going to get good flight time out of the motor/pro/lipo combo, i tried a set up a while back with 1500kv motors and 1800 4s with 7" props and did not get more than ten mins from a lipo
S550 with Naza and Phantom 3, Falcon evo 1340 wing, AQ600 Quad
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 825
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 09:47:53 »
Will keep this thread updated as the project progresses, might have a holiday around lake Garda next year so need to be up in those mountains by then.

Be very careful around Lake  Garda,  It's the hunting ground of the Greater Breasted Granny.  These women don't take no for an answer... :laugh: :laugh:
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
Spektrum DX 8 with mode knob conversion.Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks..

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 18:37:43 »
but are you going to get good flight time out of the motor/pro/lipo combo, i tried a set up a while back with 1500kv motors and 1800 4s with 7" props and did not get more than ten mins from a lipo

I have no idea if it's the optimal config but it's what I have. after flying a while with 5S, 4S seams very tame, don't think I want to go back.

10min from a 1800 pack I'd be happy with that.

I'm currently using 1000mAh / 5 min cruising around LOS. Got some 7 inch props on the way as I'm overloading these motors :evil
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline shawdreamer

• Liked: 630
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 22:53:42 »
I can get 15mins out of a fresh 3000mah 3s in my 500 H-copter design, that was with it flying a mission plan though, Ive for some reason never got round to timing it during direct control flights.

spec on that is

750kv Keda motors
APM2.8 fc (with gps, led indicator board, ful telemetry and servo controlled gimbal)
25amp Kseries escs
1045 CF props.

fella in the US recently told me he's had 25mins out of his but didnt mention what spec he was using, did mention he was testing it out while out on training with the reserves. (If I see youtube vids of my design with machine guns on it in the near future Im gonna be sooooooooooo pi55ed....... kinda happy but still pi55ed)

I did build a 450 reptile with a very similar spec to what you have planned and all I can say is it made a great half-way house between a heavy lifter/camship and a smaller more nippy agile build but..... that motor/prop combo was by no means "efficient", fun....but not a stamina build by any means.

certainly could outpace anything else of similar size down my local field at the time but I was lucky to get at most 8-9mins out of a 2200mah 4s.

If your after a long range job your gonna have to think much lower KV with much larger props.
550 custom H-copter
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Reaper250 V.2
ViceVersa250 XL
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard
Dji Spark clone
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Offline DarrellW

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 2372
  • Living on an island!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 07:05:42 »
Those motors are only rated for 3S, I have run them on 4S but they get hot.
For efficiency you need low kV and big props and light weight on higher voltage, 4S to 6S, anything else will not work.
I think..........I think I am........therefore I am.............I think!

Offline Hozza

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Liked: 248
    • Fun, Run and Gun
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 07:09:13 »
I've built a 6 inch cruiser quad with 2206 1500kv motors and can easily get 15 mins on a 1400mAh 4S :cool: but I pretty much built it exploring the landscape around Melton. Think your going to enjoy flying that :crossfingers:

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 07:08:51 »
Those motors are only rated for 3S, I have run them on 4S but they get hot.

Yeah I know they are spec'd for 3S, I have tested 1 to destruction on the bench  :evil  reached 6S and 25A ~630W before the windings reached @100Deg  and the motor stopped working, mind you the ESC was getting a bit hot as well. So anything less than that and they are fine.
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline DarrellW

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 2372
  • Living on an island!!!
Re: Atomic's long range mountain cruiser.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:39:58 »
OK, but bear it in mind on higher cell counts they are possibly going to be less efficient and definitely going to be less reliable, Simplecopter verified this!
I think..........I think I am........therefore I am.............I think!

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 09:43:44 »
To all those who have pointed out that low kV and big props is the way to go, I fully understand this but having  a big one like Rommie http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=22342.msg is not an option.

I'd never get it through the turnstile at work  ::) and I think it would be a bit too big for my rucksack in the hills.

Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline shawdreamer

• Liked: 630
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 09:57:49 »
To all those who have pointed out that low kV and big props is the way to go, I fully understand this but having  a big one like Rommie http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=22342.msg is not an option.

I'd never get it through the turnstile at work  ::) and I think it would be a bit too big for my rucksack in the hills.

opt for something foldable?

Ive recently played with making a foldable 500 frame (out of the reptile frame I mentioned earlier strangely enough) and Its not as hard a concept as I first thought it would be...

that ones specifically for my brother-in-law who often go's biking in the alps and needs a fairly chunky frame (so it can use large props) but need to fit in a rucksack and remain relatively light (so he aint lugging masses of weight up a mountain on his bike)

550 custom H-copter
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Reaper250 V.2
ViceVersa250 XL
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard
Dji Spark clone
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 11:18:07 »
Well my 7040 Dal props turned up, didn't bother checking the balance, just chucked them on and gave them ago.

Opps got a horrible vibration ressonace thing going on and it failed to decend so had to kill the power, no damage done.
Dynamic filtering to the rescue, it is now flying ok. Sounds a bit rough at times, needs a good balanceing session and tune up but I'm liking this size prop. Just as much speed, better punch and better flight time. @800mAh for my normal-ish 5min LOS flight.

Looks like this is the way to go, probably need to find some better props as these are a bit bendy.
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 13:03:15 »
Looking forward to seeing the results atomic!

Well I'm going to make an effort to get out and about and fly the locations I've wanted to fly.

Your vids are to blame for that  :beer2:

Been a bit apathetic recently when it comes to flying. Hope that will change next year.

Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline Lamaule

• Liked: 109
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 21:45:01 »
Well I'm going to make an effort to get out and about and fly the locations I've wanted to fly.

Your vids are to blame for that  :beer2:

Been a bit apathetic recently when it comes to flying. Hope that will change next year.

Great news.  I think it’ll do you some good.  Nothing like an early start and a cheeky bit of FPV to get you feeling better.  I’m really looking forward to seeing how she flys!

Are you going to fly that viaduct I missed and make me REALLY jealous?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk