Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by atomiclama on 07 Oct 2017
  • !! warning in progress will change lots.

Ah well time to start a new project, not finished any of my other projects yet but this has got my interest for the moment so time for a brain dump.

I have always been interested in the long range radios but don';t like closed source proprietary stuff. Had a look at the code in OpenLRS it';s all arduino based urghhh.

Recently BF got an RX SPI implementation  ~~ well that has just made my job alot easier.

So I currently have 2 STM32 Nucleo dev boards hooked up to RFM22 radios.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The current implementation has created a virtual comport which can have attached to it MSP, Telemetry or any of the other things in BF or a newly comport bridge. The other other side of the RF link is the same. This gives me the flexibility to hook telemetry -> VCP -> RF -> VCP -> bridge -> serial port -> PC. The same for MSP CLI etc.

insert back of fag packet scribble.

Well it works. Telem ok, cli ok if the response is small, MSP so so, MSP is full duplex where as RF is obviously not needs some work.

The idea is to have the RFM22 directly integrated into the FC and one on dedicated HW attached to the TX.

Insert linky / picture of suggested HW
    Insert more scribbles .

Anyways there is some interest over in iNav world some might get some where.  ::)

Dump over.

• #2 by Two-Six on 23 Oct 2017
  • WoW! That';s amazing, proper job!
  • #3 by atomiclama on 04 Nov 2017
  • First proper range test, through a clump of trees as well.

6mW setting on the TX, quite impressed.

Screenshot from 2017-11-04 16-06-26.pngRFM22 433Mhz radio modem project.
  • #4 by hoverfly on 04 Nov 2017
  • Looking good.. ~~
  • #5 by atomiclama on 07 Feb 2018
  • It's alive

I pulled the EE from one of my trusty CC3D and wired the RFM22 module to the now free spi pads.
    Worked out quite neat.

The lunch box houses the base station repeater. Which is my normal RX hooked up via iBus to a dev board.
    I'm running a hacked version of betaflight on the dev board that takes in iBus and squirts the RC data out over the RFM22.

I currently have a slow update rate which makes things a bit interesting to fly. :whistling:

Now I just need to tidy up the base, make it a bit more robust and get it mounted on a tripod. Don't think it is going to last too long just chucked on the floor.
  • #6 by ched999uk on 07 Feb 2018
  • Quad and radio look good. Might be worth rewiring that 4 way extension cable!!!
  • #7 by shawdreamer on 07 Feb 2018
  • sod the extension........get on to the lockerbie bomber ghetto blaster......

• #8 by atomiclama on 07 Feb 2018
  • Might be worth rewiring that 4 way extension cable!!!

Nah it's perfectly safe  :whistling:
  • #9 by atomiclama on 07 Feb 2018
  • Ah be kind shawdreamer.

That thing has been with me for as long back as I can remember. It's part of the family.
Pages:
Actions