Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jamie16v on 08 Jun 2018
  • Hello guys, I have just finished building my chameleon. I am using a kakute f4 aio, tekko32 esc and emax rs2205 motors.

When I went to test my motors in betaflight (props off) I could smell a slight electrical burning but no smoke. Everything else seemed fine and all motors spin as they should, though I have noticed that motor 3 is getting warm compared to the rest.
    Should I be concerned?
  • #2 by ched999uk on 08 Jun 2018
  • Sounds like you could have the motor bolts hitting the windings causing a short! Use a multimeter to test for continuity between frame and motor wires.
    Alternatively back off motor bolts and see if temp comes down.
  • #3 by jamie16v on 08 Jun 2018
  • Tbh, I used the shortest bolts provided.  I am almost certain that they are not into the motor enough to reach the windings but I will check.
    Cheers
  • #4 by jamie16v on 08 Jun 2018
  • Hmmm, it does short with the frame......
  • #5 by atomiclama on 08 Jun 2018
  • Should I be concerned?

Ys run for your life, they are going to explode.
  • #6 by Cheredanine on 08 Jun 2018
  • Hmmm, it does short with the frame......
    As per chad, check your motor screws, screws shoring the windings are likely to make the motor stutter at low rpm too
  • #7 by jamie16v on 08 Jun 2018
  • Ok, The bolts are not fouling the windings, they are too short for that, I think it may be a faulty motor perhaps?. I think the windings are touching the base of the motor.
    Just checked with the multi meter and all wires short with the housing.
  • #8 by ched999uk on 08 Jun 2018
  • Ok, The bolts are not fouling the windings, they are too short for that, I think it may be a faulty motor perhaps?. I think the windings are touching the base of the motor.
    Just checked with the multi meter and all wires short with the housing.
    The motor wires are coated with a sort of varnish. So if the motor wires have a conductive path to the motor housing something is not good. Quite often motor fixing bolts can hit the windings and cut through the coating thus creating a conductive path to the carbon fibre (conductive) frame.
    It could be that there was a fault in the motor windings that caused them to overheat and burn the coating off!!! That could cause the shorting you have.

What ever the cause I suspect the motor may be damaged. If you have removed the bolts and when tested (PROPS OFF) it still gets hot and the others don't then I think the motor may need to be replaced.
  • #9 by jamie16v on 08 Jun 2018
  • Yeah, well they`re brand new motors, only fitted today. I have just contacted banggood for a replacement.
    Let`s see how that goes  :laugh:
  • #10 by Cheredanine on 08 Jun 2018
  • The other thing I have noticed with recent open bottom motors is as you tighten them down to the arm the wires exiting the motor are forced upwards, in some cases they and up touching the bell (because there is no bottom to prevent this)this is turn can lead the bell to a raiding the insulation
    However just a point to note, not relevant here
    Agree you need to swap that motor out
  • #11 by jamie16v on 08 Jun 2018
  • Gutted actually, was hoping to maiden it this weekend :( I think I'll try to source one locally.
  • #12 by Cheredanine on 08 Jun 2018
  • Hobbyrc stocks as does quadcopters.co.uk
Pages:
Actions