User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • shawdreamer: so another foreign power stuffs the uk suipply lines by blocking antwerp harbour..... 70yrs and we still havnt learnt <sigh>
    August 16, 2017, 08:49:53
  • DarrellW: Oh ow....... HK deliveries stuffed for a while........
    August 15, 2017, 21:40:05
  • hoverfly: Rhubarb superb stuff, always gives you a good run for your money.... ::)
    August 15, 2017, 21:21:47
  • Bajadre: mmm  rhubarb cider :)
    August 15, 2017, 21:15:29
  • DarrellW: Old Rosie is THE stuff, definitely floats my boat ::)
    August 15, 2017, 19:01:06
  • ched999uk: No breaks allowed  ::)
    August 15, 2017, 18:48:45
  • atomiclama: time for a break.
    August 15, 2017, 18:00:22
  • atomiclama: Yeay my post count matches the year.
    August 15, 2017, 18:00:06
  • Bad Raven: Talisker, on prescription??   ::)   ::)
    August 15, 2017, 17:04:34
  • Bajadre: lol atomiclama
    August 15, 2017, 13:21:52
  • atomiclama: I find Talisker does the job quite well ;;)
    August 15, 2017, 08:46:54
  • Bajadre: THC always gets me to sleep lol
    August 14, 2017, 12:59:20
  • hoverfly: C17H27NO2 .. :o
    August 14, 2017, 09:24:57
  • DarrellW: @BR Venlafaxine now :-/
    August 14, 2017, 08:26:46
  • atomiclama: Flying in the rain, it's gota be done ::)
    August 14, 2017, 08:16:28
  • Bad Raven: Amitriptyline? Prescription, non-addictive.
    August 14, 2017, 05:49:56
  • DarrellW: Can'tsleep.com  :-/
    August 14, 2017, 01:05:26
  • Bajadre: Ohh nice mate
    August 13, 2017, 20:59:14
  • DarrellW: Trusty old dx7 has gone phut........ Just won a Futaba T8J though!!!
    August 13, 2017, 20:34:49
  • atomiclama: Dynamic filters, mmmMMMm  me likey likey  ::)
    August 13, 2017, 20:32:43

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Malyan M150 3D Printer  (Read 147 times)

Offline nate80

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 21
  • Liked: 215
    • View Profile
Malyan M150 3D Printer
« on: August 11, 2017, 11:01:15 »
At last I've gotten round to opening last years Christmas present, a Malyan M150.  The box has finally left the living room floor and the cats have lost their make-shift lounger.   :laugh:

The unit comes mostly assembled with just the two main parts of frame to screw together, fan and filament spool holder to attach and the wiring loom to plug in.  An included SD Card has program files and humorous chinglish instruction manuals: "flip on the power button hold onto your hat" and "drawings can quickly  become a corpse".  haha

Now I'm reading up on how to best set it up and run it.

Online ched999uk

• Thank You
  • -Given: 152
  • -Receive: 142
  • Liked: 430
    • View Profile
Re: Malyan M150 3D Printer
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:19:00 »
You must have a very busy life and amazing self control to have that sitting in full display begging you to open it.
Can't believe you lasted that long before opening. I have difficulty lasting a few hrs to get through work before I can, at minimum open some new toy  ::)

Amazing self control, congrats on your 'new' printer. Now lets see some prints  ::)

Offline JeremyE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:01:14 »
Ah the fun! I have the duplicator I3 version and its currently getting upgraded...
Couple of things:

- Motherboard power connector is terrible and many have burn't out. I replaced mine with an XT60
- The Alu bed base is pretty thin, be careful it doesn't warp
- I use a LokBuild pad on my bed. It has changed my life.
- Look into Z-braces as they improve rigidity and prints

I find my printer does a good job! now I'm in the process of trying to make it great...

Offline nate80

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 12:30:27 »
Cheers ched.  lol. Mostly always too busy and never enough time, but I'm gonna find a few hours this weekend to get printing.  ::)  I really want to print one of the marble run designs I've seen on thingyverse.

Thanks for the helpful info Jeremy.   ~~  Have you run your alu heatbed with the lokbuild attached directly or added a sheet of glass?  I saw the Z-braces and think I'll print them off pretty soon as they look like a very worthy upgrade.

Online ched999uk

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:42:59 »
Cheers ched.  lol. Mostly always too busy and never enough time, but I'm gonna find a few hours this weekend to get printing.  ::)  I really want to print one of the marble run designs I've seen on thingyverse.
Ooh marble run. I remember spending days building one when I was an apprentice. With single core wire and soldering it together.......... Happy days.....

You must post picys of the finished marble run, please  ::)

Offline nate80

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 12:51:44 »
Ooh marble run. I remember spending days building one when I was an apprentice. With single core wire and soldering it together.......... Happy days.....

You must post picys of the finished marble run, please  ::)

Definitely, can't wait.  ~~ I'll be so excited if it prints ok!  You'll probably be getting photos of all my print attempts.   ;)

What happened to your marble run?  Do you still have it?

Online ched999uk

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:55:42 »
Definitely, can't wait.  ~~ I'll be so excited if it prints ok!  You'll probably be getting photos of all my print attempts.   ;)

What happened to your marble run?  Do you still have it?
The build was a joint effort and we had a draw for it. I didnt win but I doubt it would have survived 30 years  even it I had won ::)
Looking forward to seeing your images.

Offline nate80

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 15:45:37 »
So I decided to take a 5 min break from work and make a quick cuppa whilst taking a peek at the printer.  A peek led to a quick fiddle (ooo-err).  That led to led to me sitting down and setting up the first print.   :whistling:  The first test print is underway as I type!   :laugh:

The instructions that came with the printer are pretty awful but I think I'm figuring out the basics.  I auto-moved the extruder to the front left corner of the bed and then deactivated the stepper motors so I could move the nozzle around and level the bed. I used a sheet of 80 micron paper for this.  Then I manually lifted the extruder (z axis) and fed in the PLA which I'd pre cut into a sharp point.  Once I'd figured out how to tell the motor to accept and feed the filament I cleaned it all up and checked the bed height again.

The masking tape-like sheet that came with the printer (3 sheets of) seems to work well and the PLA has adhered nicely.

The bed was quite a pain to get level. The front left, front right and rear left side thumb screws were all very similar and didn't need too much adjusting. The rear right side was completely different though and I needed to wind it loads more to make the bed level.

It's 20 minutes in now and the test prints looking good!   ::)

Offline nate80

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 16:23:40 »
First test print finished!  But currently stuck firm to the bed.   :laugh:

23546-0

I've read it's best to let it cool fully before trying to remove it so I'm hoping that works.  The plastic scraper that came with the printer looks a bit rubbish and without a thin or sharp knife edge.  I'd be surprised if it doesn't snap the more delicate parts attached to the print bed.

I see now why there are so many different options for print bed use, like glass, tapes, abs juice, glues etc.  And having a sheet of glass that can be removed from the printer before removing the printed item seems sensible as all the hacking at the finished model will throw the print bed out of alignment again meaning it'll need setting up before every print.  I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.

Offline Samslimer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 2
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 20:42:17 »
I have this printer. Had to make a number of mods before it was truly stable or usable for longer prints. It flexed way too much tbh, the feed gear slipped and the nozzle blocked a lot. Now it's dialled in, I haven't levelled the bed in months or had a single blockage. Tried glass, heats up differentially to the top plate which then moves out of flat. Went to 225x225mm PrintBite right on the heat bed, 9 months old now. Print to the edge (nearly), parts are dead flat and pop straight off as it cools. Happily runs 24hr prints with a good finish. So it's worth persevering, it can be a great machine.

btw the jerk and acceleration settings are set too high by default. Also calibrate the extrusion feed rate, by default mine fed way way too much 250%. Can be a pain to get it remember settings so easier to put them in Gcode. M92 E*** is the extrusion rate iirc.

Mods

Z axis braces and feet (so much stiffer)
Sandwiched aluminium, composite Y carriage plate (night/day flatness)
Y carriage changed to 4 linear bearings (no more play, very stable)
Longer linear bearings
Alloy CNC extruder lever with roller bearing (v-feeder precision bearing, much better feed)
Hardened D4 extrusion gear (no more slipping on filament, you'll hear it clicking)
Change the power connector on the nozzle heater (it will overheat and melt)
Micro Swiss MK10 all metal hotend (no more blockages), st
Heatsink & fan on extrusion motor (found with long prints it helps keep the filament from getting soft before the block)
5015 Blower fan on custom 360 fan duct for nozzle
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 17:17:43 by Samslimer »

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Offline nate80

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 23:29:08 »
Cheers mate. Really appreciate the advice. You've sure changed and upgraded a lot.

I'm obviously still new to the printer and can't see what causes certain problems but some prints are definitely more successful than others. I've discovered 2 of the print bed thumb nuts are de-threaded so I've swapped for m3 nuts temporarily. I had to file 2 of the holes on the plate beneath the print bed as well because the threaded bolts were catching badly.

Glad you mentioned the jerk settings. I'm guessing that's as it sounds? The jerkiness of the motor movements? The print bed jerks real bad during some prints and ruins them.

I started running a print this afternoon. It's a marble run that's about 12cm cubed. So far it's 6.5 hours in and about 7mm high!!! I knew the printer wasn't exactly fast but at this rate it'll take days to finish!  :blink