Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by JeremyE on 09 Aug 2017
  • Hi

I need some parts milled from aluminium. I tried to turn them on a mini lathe, but I do not have all year and my ears were not very fond on the screaming. I did debate upgrading my Shapeoko, but I'm really sure what machine would be able to handle up to 50mm aluminium (And I have limited space on where I can keep it). The parts need to be high accuracy as they link a motor and gearbox and I don't feel like destroying either. Can anyone recommend a place? Or a small footprint machine that would cope.
  • #2 by hoverfly on 09 Aug 2017
  • Drawing  and  spec please. :beer2:
  • #3 by JeremyE on 09 Aug 2017
  • Drawing  and  spec please. :beer2:

What type of drawing would you require? I have .step, .stl, 2D dxf.
    Material is either 6061-T6 of 6082-T6 alu
  • #4 by DarrellW on 09 Aug 2017
  • With Aluminum your best using TiN coated cutters (good quality ones like Titex) and using paraffin as a cutting aid, I've turned parts on a home made lathe using a drill and bits of angle.
  • #5 by hoverfly on 09 Aug 2017
  • #6 by JeremyE on 10 Aug 2017
  • Here are 2D and 3D pics...

23524-0

23526-1

The full depth is 10mm and the other that you cant see in the pic is 4mm
  • #7 by DarrellW on 10 Aug 2017
  • You need the PCD's for the holes as well.
  • #8 by JeremyE on 10 Aug 2017
  • You need the PCD's for the holes as well.

Thanks Darrell! Updated the original pic...
  • #9 by dirtyharry on 10 Aug 2017
  • Water jet cut then finish with pillar drill. Would b cheapest option.
  • #10 by JeremyE on 10 Aug 2017
  • Water jet cut then finish with pillar drill. Would b cheapest option.

You sir have made a very valid point!
  • #11 by hoverfly on 10 Aug 2017
  • What is the counter bore depth? And tolerances. Is the position of the 3.3  holes relative to the other holes critical?
  • #12 by JeremyE on 10 Aug 2017
  • What is the counter bore depth? And tolerances. Is the position of the 3.3  holes relative to the other holes critical?

Counter bore depth is 4mm. Tolerances need to be very tight. All the holes are very critical to one another as its attaching a motor to a planetary gear. If its out, there goes a £200 gearbox.
  • #13 by JeremyE on 11 Aug 2017
  • I may have an option on a Taig micro mill. This would maybe put me in the realm of being able to machine almost anything I need!
  • #14 by hoverfly on 11 Aug 2017
  • The Taig is quit a nice mill, but limited capacity. Remember  you will need a dividing head to get the hole spaces accurately placed, these take up a lot of table space,and there might not be enough clearance between the workpiece and chuck/collet.

Assembly DRG?
  • #15 by JeremyE on 11 Aug 2017
  • The Taig is quit a nice mill, but limited capacity. Remember  you will need a dividing head to get the hole spaces accurately placed, these take up a lot of table space,and there might not be enough clearance between the workpiece and chuck/collet.

Assembly DRG?

If I get the Taig, it will have a set of Nema 23's on it pronto! That way I wont need a dividing head.
Pages:
Actions