User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • ched999uk: Like the flags, thought I better show rest of UK  :N-Ireland: :scotland: :wales:
    Today at 13:22:26
  • Gaza07: :england:
    Today at 11:24:13
  • Gav: :uk:
    Today at 11:05:19
  • Gav: hello peeps
    Today at 11:05:03
  • Bajadre: lol hover
    October 17, 2017, 15:14:13
  • hoverfly: His grandfather was called onehunglow ,there was an accident when he tried jumping a fence... :o
    October 16, 2017, 16:26:06
  • Wyntrblue: ok i will get mycoat and go away now
    October 16, 2017, 14:43:56
  • Wyntrblue: is his grandfather called li puffed?.....
    October 16, 2017, 14:43:44
  • Bad Raven: Chinese guy, goes by the name of Li Po
    October 16, 2017, 14:06:32
  • hoverfly: I don't where does he live??
    October 16, 2017, 10:13:48
  • Bad Raven: Yes, do you......   :rolleyes:
    October 16, 2017, 05:49:43
  • Vivian Lai: do youknow TATTU Rline new 1800 4s ?
    October 16, 2017, 04:52:30
  • DarkButterfly: Was going to fly FPV today, but run all 4 batteries on the wing LOS, great fun ::)
    October 15, 2017, 21:49:40
  • Gav: make sure to video it
    October 12, 2017, 09:34:47
  • hoverfly: I'll give it a go... :laugh:
    October 12, 2017, 09:30:35
  • Gav: oh eye brow for flight mode switch.
    October 12, 2017, 09:29:24
  • Gav: good question. well.. only if you have heated handle bar grips and use your tongue to operate the throttle and your nose for the aileron and elevator
    October 12, 2017, 09:27:46
  • hoverfly: Gav would it still be good on a motor bike? ::)
    October 12, 2017, 09:24:39
  • Saleem: Gav your a life saver,i aint got a car!
    October 11, 2017, 21:11:24
  • Gav: fpv in your car nice n warm in the winter with uhf
    October 11, 2017, 20:48:57

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Taranis or Radiolink  (Read 344 times)

Offline Dippi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 126
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 14
  • S500 - Naza M Lite - Next build using 3510 360kv
Taranis or Radiolink
« on: August 03, 2017, 15:08:29 »
Presently using a Flysky FS i6.

Which model and make of RX AND TX would you recommend with 9 to 10 channels? And Why?

It should have max functions as poss and not tooo pricy.

And when buying what should check, do these models usually have everything you need to use them or o you need to buy additional stuff.

Is buying a used one recommended? If yes what precautions to take. Or Better to get a new one.

Online ched999uk

• Thank You
  • -Given: 157
  • -Receive: 162
  • Liked: 475
Re: Taranis or Radiolink
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 15:35:42 »
What is wrong with the i6? You can flash the Firmware to 10ch and have voltage and rssi alarms on tx?

What features would you like on a new tx/rx?

I think that the taranis is just the tx, you will need the appropriate rx. They you have to set it up!!!
Have a look at some uTube videos on setting up taranis. While they are immensely feature packed they do require quite a bit of setting up. 

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Offline Bad Raven

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 47
  • Liked: 361
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 15:51:56 »
As you may know I run a Spektrum DX9, a Futaba 10CG, a Taranis, two Horus, and a FlySkyFS-i6. (And more, but hey......................)

The FlySky is a lovely little Tx but it is limited (even if reflashed) by its small number and variety of switches, etc. And ultimately its four individual cell battery has friction connections that may (or may not) become an issue.

Best of the lot for you based on your fast increasing experience is IMO the Taranis. You can get receivers from miniscule to meaty, innumerable sensors for its telemetry, and it'll do near anything at a reasonable price. Its been around "forever" and is well supported by Video and other help.

There is a new "10" coming which may or may not replace it, so if you hang on the Taranis might have a price drop. However, if its going to have anything like the Horus gestation, don't hold breath.

Offline Dippi

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 15:53:28 »
Nothing is wrong, i was reading and found that some of versions of Taranis and Radiolink TX's have built in OSD and telemetry. I don't know if i understood it correctly.

Would i still need a separate module with these TX's or does the RX come with telemetry built in.

Another dumb question, i have updated the firmware to 10 channels, do i need to update the Rx also to 10 channels unit to be able to have voltage and rssi alarms.

(May be i will stay away from these complex TX's for the movement, as suggested. I seem to have unnecessarily confused myself, i guess).

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 348
  • Liked: 862
  • Everything you have been told is a lie
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 15:54:12 »
I would say taranis, hands down. That said why do you want everything? I mean if you are doing something major you are looking at jetis and the like.
For quads a turnigy evo is fine.
And ched has two good points, I have a taranis and a tango, it takes about 5 seconds to setup the tango for a new craft, it takes 15 mins or so to setup the taranis

Offline Cheredanine

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 348
  • Liked: 862
  • Everything you have been told is a lie
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 15:54:51 »
What are you flying?

Offline Dippi

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 15:55:28 »

There is a new "10" coming which may or may not replace it, so if you hang on the Taranis might have a price drop. However, if its going to have anything like the Horus gestation, don't hold breath.

Care to elaborate on this more. Thanks.

Offline Bad Raven

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 15:59:06 »
Care to elaborate on this more. Thanks.

No, Non-Disclosure Agreement!  Do some searching.............  ;)

Personally the way consumer electronics is changing, I'd only move on from the FS-i6 when it really REALLY does not do what you NEED any more, and I doubt that's now!

Offline Dippi

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 16:01:19 »
No, Non-Disclosure Agreement!  Do some searching.............  ;)

Personally the way consumer electronics is changing, I'd only move on from the FS-i6 when it really REALLY does not do what you NEED any more, and I doubt that's now!

Would you recommend a Taranis TX+Rx set to get to read on it for future trade.

Online ched999uk

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 16:14:45 »
Nothing is wrong, i was reading and found that some of versions of Taranis and Radiolink TX's have built in OSD and telemetry. I don't know if i understood it correctly.

Would i still need a separate module with these TX's or does the RX come with telemetry built in.

Another dumb question, i have updated the firmware to 10 channels, do i need to update the Rx also to 10 channels unit to be able to have voltage and rssi alarms.
I use a ia10 rx https://goo.gl/8bRQdTon my F450 with a Voltage module https://goo.gl/Lg26PR.
On my Martian 3 I use an X6B rx https://goo.gl/snPtyp as it is small and have voltage telemetry built in.

As for RSSI, I have not been following the modifications to the firmware but I believe there is now a way to setup RSSi telemetry on the tx. I think it is something to do with assigning a channel to rssi and sort of looping it back via rx. There are also timers, flight battery and rssi alarms I think.
Have a look here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2486545-FlySky-FS-i6-8-channels-firmware-patch%21/page158 It's a long thread and some of it is very complex. There is also a GitHub page about it.

I haven't looked at the rssi bit yet as I want to get the new Martian 3 airborne before I make any changes to my tx.

Offline Bad Raven

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 11:12:42 »
Would you recommend a Taranis TX+Rx set to get to read on it for future trade.

Of all the Tx I have come across IMO the Taranis is the best most programmable AND economic one around. The Horus is a great piece of kit but functionally adds little that is essential. Currently I am slowly moving my MR's across to Horus, even from Taranis, more because I have them than because I gain any significant advantage, for example, its colour screen does make moving around easier, but its no game changer.

With how cheap FlySky Rx are, continuing with that make is not going to price you down a dead end that you would waste money to extract from.

If on a tight budget or with other wants like other quads I'd stick as now and watch for when the new "10" likely depresses the sale price of unsold Taranis

Offline Dippi

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 12:48:52 »

With how cheap FlySky Rx are, continuing with that make is not going to price you down a dead end that you would waste money to extract from.

If on a tight budget or with other wants like other quads I'd stick as now and watch for when the new "10" likely depresses the sale price of unsold Taranis

I think i will stick with my modifies FS i6 and then as i get better and my demands grow, will do a research and move to another TX.

Many thanks for your advice.

Online ched999uk

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 14:41:05 »
I think i will stick with my modifies FS i6 and then as i get better and my demands grow, will do a research and move to another TX.

Many thanks for your advice.
I have just updated my i6 to latest FW (No SW14 FW) from a 1 year old 10ch FW. Must say I am even more impressed. The timer is good and has an alarm. It can be set to start on throttle ch but then doesn't stop when throttle down, to stop press cancel! So not perfect but good. The FW now allows 14 channels on iBus!!! I have set CH11 to be ERROR (RSSI) and in BetaFlight set RSSI to be ch11 and it works great. OSD was showing RSSI value!
So TX now has voltage alarms, timer as well as 14 channels!
You can even now upload your own little image to show a quad :)
OK so no where near as flexible as a Taranis but no where near the price either.

Very happy with my i6. It can still be bought for less than £35 on BangGood or Amazon £45 other retailers available  :smiley:

Offline Dippi

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 18:24:32 »
I have just updated my i6 to latest FW (No SW14 FW) from a 1 year old 10ch FW. Must say I am even more impressed. The timer is good and has an alarm. It can be set to start on throttle ch but then doesn't stop when throttle down, to stop press cancel! So not perfect but good. The FW now allows 14 channels on iBus!!! I have set CH11 to be ERROR (RSSI) and in BetaFlight set RSSI to be ch11 and it works great. OSD was showing RSSI value!
So TX now has voltage alarms, timer as well as 14 channels!
You can even now upload your own little image to show a quad :)
OK so no where near as flexible as a Taranis but no where near the price either.

Very happy with my i6. It can still be bought for less than £35 on BangGood or Amazon £45 other retailers available  :smiley:

After reading your reply to my other post, i guess its to early for me to think of updating my Tx, i guess i should first try to learn all the options on my TX and only when i have out grown them go ahead for an update if ever so required.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, it has helped me a lot.